Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What cards are the most fun?  (Read 15314 times)

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
What cards are the most fun?
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:51:44 pm »

I'm curious to hear what people consider their favorite cards.  Use whatever criteria you'd like.  But basically what I'm looking for is the cards that make you most excited to see pop up in a newly-composed game.  It could be because they enable awesome turns, because they are interesting and unique in how they work, because they force games in the direction that you most prefer (i.e. - engine folks almost always hope to see a village), or even just because you happen to be very good at playing that card.

I bet that a lot of the favorites are among the most-hated cards for others.  King's Court, Goons, Possession, etc.  Some people love them and others loathe them.

I answered this question as part of the DS tournament 6 months ago, but my opinions have changed a bit since then, so I'll list five here:

Ambassador - It's an evil, evil card.  And it is incredibly frustrating to get on the wrong side of it.  But I really enjoy seeing it these days because it means the game is very likely going to reward some serious strategic thinking, not just good tactical play.

Watchtower - It's often a fairly dead card, but I LOVE games when Watchtower has a chance to shine.  Watchtower-driven engines are enormously fun once they get going.  It really only works when you need both features of the card.  You use the draw power to keep working through your deck, and then you top-deck all the key components to ensure the next turn works just as well.  And the best part is, you're quite resilient to most attacks.  With Watchtower in hand, handsize reducers often HELP you and cursing attacks are meaningless.

This game was particularly fun: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120524-104340-347e6fbf.html

Menagerie - This is one of those cards that frustrates me a fair amount (when my opponent isn't building around it but just happens to luck into perfect hands), but in spite of that it's a really fun card.  It's obviously very powerful, but there's just a lot of fun in building the incredibly diverse deck.  Some of my favorite games ever are Menagerie-Black Market ones.  You can just go completely nuts.

Fishing Village - This one is pretty obvious.  Some decks will prefer to have Worker's Village for the +buy, or lack in +cards from other sources and so don't want to lose hand-size while playing villages.  But if you want a village in the kingdom, more often than not you'd prefer it be this one.

Apprentice - Lets you trash Estates early, silver in the mid-game, and Provinces at the end.  And all kinds of other things.  I like the way Apprentice-heavy games can putter along for a bit and then simply explode.

Honorable mentions: Vineyard, Apothecary, Wharf, Horn of Plenty, Scheme

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: What cards are the most fun?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:01:10 pm »

Haggler.
This is a wonderful addition to almost any strategy, especially IGG. And little explosions like the Border Village-Haggler explosion make this card cute. Also nice with multiple Hagglers in play...
Vineyard.
A victory that rewards you for building your deck.
Tactician.
I always sigh when I see a wonderful 10-Card hand. Even at the cost of discarding your previou hand.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:19 pm »

Black Market.  It's terrible, because I say I hate variance, and yet I love Black Market.  I had an respectful disagreement with another player about the card the other day, I lost using it game 1 but was able to use a Goons and Monument deck that couldn't be answered fast enough with green cards.

Island even though I'm terrible with it.  Just a neat card.

Gardens and Silk Roads.  Not Duke, but probably just because I'm not as good at Duke.

Oh, Vineyards!  I don't love it as much as I used to, but I still love the card.  I like when it's hard to decide whether it's worth it, and I like fights to have the best Vineyards deck too.

Mandarin, but only because I believe it is an underrated card and enjoy taking every opportunity I get to prove it to myself and my opponent.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:48:35 am »

Ambassador/Masquerade - I like them because they force players to think twice about playing cursing cards.  It's interesting when both players have to adapt and consider alternative strategies, even if the cursers ultimately still play a role.

Black Market - Unfortunately most of the time I end up ignoring it, but when I do get to play it, it is probably my most fun card to play.  Incidentally, why is it that the card says use one of every Kingdom card not in play, but Isotropic just builds a deck based on a small selection?

Haven - I can't put my finger on why, but I always have a nice warm glow when I have Havens in my deck.

Upgrade - A fun little trasher that allows you to continually improve the quality of your deck throughout the game without sacrificing entire turns to do it.  Especially nice when there are one or more 7-cost cards that allow you to curve all the way into Provinces if you like.

Swindler - I like it because it often forces you to use, and try to get the best out of, cards that you frequently ignore.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:58:47 am by Piemaster »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:50:57 am »

Grand Market - the sheer power feels broken, yet not, and oh so satisfying to throw down all of them.

Fool's Gold - just something about the card - maybe the aesthetic, maybe the wacky gold-rush-y feel - and Fool's Gold/Stables/Chapel/+Buy is GODLY

Pirate Ship - I just love playing them!  It makes me feel like a pirate!  Arrr!  :3

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:06:57 am »

Jester equals fun to me.
You can steal actions! You can spam coppers! You can give out curses! Fun for whole family!

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 02:11:23 am »

Explorer - because it is underrated in fast games/chapel games and I am the only one going for it.

Jester - I love to spam it in 3-player games, because it is much better with more opponents.

Throne Room - playing 3 or more in one turn with card drawers.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:11:32 am »

Here's my favorite cards, in order:

Ambassador - just love this card.
Tactician - oh the strategy.  Single or double?
Ill-Gotten Gains - on-buy cursing effect?  Multiple card combos and end-game scenarios?  This card has it all.
Pirate Ship - when it's good and played correctly, it's just so good.  Also a funny trap when it's not a good card for the board.
Wharf - Cards, unlimited cards!
Cutpurse - never understood this card until I read the article on it.  It's just so effective.
Mining Village - probably my favorite village.  The +$2 in late game used correctly is just awesome.

Honorable Mention:

Warehouse - effective sifter and discarder, great for cycling.
Silk Road - a quick green rush always feels fun.
Saboteur - often not a great card, but when it is, there's no better feeling than hitting your opponent's key cards.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 02:23:04 am »
+1

I am always happy to see Silk Roads or Dukes. Love me a game where I don't need any silly Provinces.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 02:43:28 am »

I want to get better with dukes. They are really fun. Silk road is awesome, I love vp rushes. I have a lot of cards that I just love and really enjoy seeing in the kingdom, and it changes a lot too. I actually really like king's court, and I still don't get tired of playing king's court trees. ;D I'm not the biggest fan of big money, but I really like embassy as an enabler. I think I can outplay my opponents with embassy strategies pretty often. Oh, and wharf. I just love love love wharf.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 02:55:55 am »

When those 'most liked card' lists from Qvist eventually see the light of day, I predict Wharf will be very high.  Unlike many of the other ones, I can't really imagine people DISliking Wharf.  I get huge hands to do awesome things?  Awesome. I get extra buys so that I can use all this money?  Even better.

Like several others here, I also really like Black Market.  Though I often feel like I ought to hate it.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 03:02:54 am »

crossroads!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 03:03:53 am »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 03:06:14 am »

Crossroads
Fishing Village
Menagerie
Hamlet
Peddler
Conspirator
Highway
Colony

Yea, I like engines  ::)

Edit: REMAKE. Remake is amazing. Maybe my favorite card.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:16:31 am by O »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 03:13:36 am »

When those 'most liked card' lists from Qvist eventually see the light of day, I predict Wharf will be very high.  Unlike many of the other ones, I can't really imagine people DISliking Wharf.  I get huge hands to do awesome things?  Awesome. I get extra buys so that I can use all this money?  Even better.

Like several others here, I also really like Black Market.  Though I often feel like I ought to hate it.
I dislike Wharf. It's one of those things that is just really strong and can spiral out of control too quickly.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 03:15:19 am »

Omg did I NOT say crossroads?? I LOVE that card too. So awesome. It just looks so powerful for a $2. Then you find that it's actually pretty balanced but it doesn't matter it's still GREAT.

But I HATE black market. >.< I guess I don't really know why...I don't mind some variance here and there, it just seems like it can be SO swingy.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 03:26:50 am »
+1

I don't dislike Wharf exactly, but I'm not always happy to see it. It's just so unsubtle. Usually, you need it, you need it fast, and then you need more of it, and then you're done. Plenty of cards work like that, so like I said, I don't dislike Wharf... but I'll veto it now and then just because the game is going to be predictable.

Black Market just infuriates me.

As for cards I like, I already mentioned Duke and Silk Road, but also Haggler, Masquerade, Nobles, Hoard, Crossroads, Explorer. I like Green, what can I say? My favorite action-style deck card is by far Scrying Pool.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 05:02:47 am »

I really like Tunnel. :P

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 07:13:19 am »

I don't like Wharf either.  Much like IGG it just seems to dominate the board and railroad you into a rather bland and unimaginative strategy whenever it comes up.  You see Wharf, you see if there is a Village, if there is there's your deck.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 09:06:59 am »

By cost, currently :

$2 - Crossroads, Embargo, Hamlet
$3 - Menagerie, Oracle, Scheme
$4 - Island, Silk road, Baron, Coppersmith
$5 - Horn of plenty, Inn, Library, Hunting party, Saboteur
$6+ - Harem, Fairgrounds, Border village, Forge
P - Vineyard, Apothecary

Because :

- I love victory cards (and baron is a card who like victory cards).
- Cornucopia is my favorite expansion because I like variety, and I love how menagerie and HoP work.
- I enjoy showing the power of underrated cards (Oracle, Coppersmith, Library, Saboteur).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:47:07 am by brokoli »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 09:15:08 am »

Just liked mentioned in the other thread. There were only 7-8 submissions. I can publish the results, but it wouldn't be very significant.

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
  • Did you say Black Market?!
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 09:53:32 am »

Black Market I’m a freak for diversity. I like that Black Market has a different effect every time it is used, and I like how it can get you the missing elements you need for your strategy, at least with a little luck.

Conspirator I don’t know, something about pulling off a Conspirator chain just gives me chills.

Fishing Village Best way to get Actions, and I love Action-heavy strategies. Also, it's pretty safe to buy, even early, when you don't have a lot of Actions to use with it.

Border Village This is the perfect card for me, because I can get sweet Action cards and the extra Actions I need to play them at the same time.

Hamlet This is the best 2-coster IMO. It’s cheap, it’s a cantrip, and it can get you either of the most essential elements to your engine at a small cost.

Warehouse Cycling is almost always good, even mid-game with deck thinning, and even if it reduces your hand size by one. I almost always open with a Warehouse if it’s out, and I often get one or two more later on.

Hoard I love that moment where you have 3 Hoards and 3 Buys, you buy 3 Estates, and you gain 9 Golds. Hoard kind of goes against my usual style of play, but it’s my favorite way to do a BM-like strategy.

Chapel Sometimes I love it and sometimes I hate it. I love when I can use Chapel just to clean my engine and speed up my combos, but I hate when it spurs a BM strategy on an otherwise interesting board.
...Or, I guess you could just buy a Province.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 01:10:30 pm »

Ambassador. It usually means a long-ish, interesting engine and attack game.

Possession. I like how this card forces you to re-evaluate every card.

Masquerade. This one, I liked when first playing with it in person, because it's fun to pass around cards. Turns out it's also really good.

Treasure Map. I'll generally go for this if there's even a little support. Although it can be swingy, it's interesting to find ways to connect them.

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 01:14:58 pm »

Recently... Scrying pool has become a favorite to play, but not to play against.

I love Jester and Noble Brigand in multiplayer.

And Hunting Party when I can get it going well with an awesome terminal or attack.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:17:25 pm by angrybirds »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 01:54:19 pm »

Recently... Scrying pool has become a favorite to play, but not to play against.

I love Jester and Noble Brigand in multiplayer.

And Hunting Party when I can get it going well with an awesome terminal or attack.

I've really, really come around on Scrying Pool. I used to not go for it enough, which would lead to long, awful games where my opponent did go for it and... well, you all know how painful those are. And I would lose! But I've learned my lesson, and now I see that Scrying Pool is much less ignorable than I previously thought. And it's a lot of fun to play.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 20 queries.