Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing Ghost Ship on 15/20 turns after opening  (Read 2813 times)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Playing Ghost Ship on 15/20 turns after opening
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:16:08 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201107/12/game-20110712-114808-72cd2357.html

Summary:
1. buy Ghost Ship
2. buy Haven
3. buy Loan
4. play Ghost Ship, buy Loan
5. Loan trashes Copper, buy Mining Village
6. play Ghost Ship, Loan trashes Copper, buy Haven
7. buy Worker's Village
8. play Ghost ship, Loan trashes Copper, buy Mining Village
9. Loan trashes Copper, self-trash Mining Village, buy Ghost Ship
10. play Ghost Ship, Loan trashes Copper, buy Haven
11. play Ghost Ship, buy Quarry (which gets played every subsequent turn)
12. play Ghost Ship, Loans trash last 2 Copper, buy Council Room
13. Loan trashes 2nd Loan, buy Mining Village
14. play Ghost Ship, buy Worker's Village & Haven (self-trashed Mining Village and bought another)
15. play Ghost Ship, self-trash 2 Mining Villages, buy Gold
16. play Ghost Ship, buy Silver & Worker's Village
17. play Ghost Ship, buy Gold
18. play Ghost Ship, buy Gold & Mining Village
19. play Ghost Ship, buy Platinum, Mining Village, Worker's Village & Haven
20. play Ghost Ship, buy Colony & Council Room
21. play Ghost Ship, buy Colony, Mining Village & Haven, emptying latter 2 piles.
22. play Ghost Ship, self-trash Mining Villages, buy Colony, Duchy & 3 Worker's Villages, emptying 3rd pile.

What you can't see from the logs is exactly how I used Havens to move cards between hands, so all I can say from memory is that almost every turn I was using Haven on a Ghost Ship and a Village to keep my draws smoothed.

I don't know if this strategy would have been fast enough had my opponent been playing optimally (he went for Philo stones and Ironworks in the first half-dozen turns), but for the latter half of the game he was starting on 3 cards every turn without the ability to discard any dead cards.  He apparently spent much of the game putting his own Ghost Ships back on top of his deck.  He didn't acquire any Villages until turn 15, just after he reshuffled, and didn't manage to reshuffle again until turn 21 and thus never drew one.  I suppose on turn 14 he didn't think he'd be getting Ghost Shipped every turn until the end of the game.  He noted that it wasn't very fun for him, and I agree.  It was the nastiest thing I have ever done in any game probably, and I'm very sorry that he had to endure it.
Stop reading my signature.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Ghost Ship on 15/20 turns after opening
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:29:13 pm »

I would have had to resign after your Turn 19 Platinum purchase... how brutal.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:19:53 pm »

Granting here that opening with Potion wasn't his greatest option (Quarry would have been much, much better, getting him a GS on T3), this is exactly like playing a 3/4 split vs. 5/2 for Mountebank or Witch at the opening.  I'd have resigned around T9-T10.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 10:32:50 am »

I can't open the link of the game (404 not found message)... but it looks like this is just a board where 4/3 simply can't beat 5/2 outside of some insane luck.

Your first purchases were perfect. Open Ghost ship, get loan and thin your deck. I'm not seeing anything that can keep a 4/3 in the game. His only option was basically to open Mining Villiage or Quarry and pick up a ghost ship as fast as possible and try to just fight the same fight that you stared 2 turns prior. It's an uphill battle, but it's really the only recourse I can see.

I would either open Quarry/Loan (which is just terrible for obvious reasons), or Mining Villiage/Loan (which potentially destroys your first $4-buy immediately to buy a ghost ship, but at least doesn't interfere with your loan). Mining Villiage would allow double ghost ship later incase they collide (the attack won't stack, but at least you'd draw 2).

He'd be behind, but with some luck he could come back. Again, I can't see his response/opening becuase of the 404 error message.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:35:01 am by Superdad »

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:39:23 am »

Small nitpick, but worth bringing up for discussion...

What does everyone think of the turn 9 Ghost ship purchase? At this point he has 3 "villiages", so I would probably have picked up council room here for the neat combo of council room + ghost ship (give him a card, then force him to go back down to 3 anyways, while yourself gaining a buy and a ton more power).

Do you prefer the raw power of Council Room/Ghost ship combo, or would you rather have a higher probability of ghost shipping every turn? I would lean towards the council room here, since it would facilitate further ghost ship/villiage buys and lead to you drawing your entire deck every turn much faster.

I.e. I think Council Room gives the opponent a little short-term breathing room (possibly 1 turn that wasn't ghost shipped), but it puts the nail in the coffin faster on subsequent turns. Turns 10-12 may be slightly weaker, but turns 13+ would be drastically accelerated.

Thoughts?

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:33:02 pm »

Hindsight suggests that BEEEER should have put his Philosopher's Stones back on top of the deck until he could draw them together for one good buy.  The Ghost Ship attack would have made them more powerful.  It wouldn't have saved him, but it might have made the game a little closer.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:02:41 pm »

Small nitpick, but worth bringing up for discussion...

What does everyone think of the turn 9 Ghost ship purchase? At this point he has 3 "villiages", so I would probably have picked up council room here for the neat combo of council room + ghost ship (give him a card, then force him to go back down to 3 anyways, while yourself gaining a buy and a ton more power).

Do you prefer the raw power of Council Room/Ghost ship combo, or would you rather have a higher probability of ghost shipping every turn? I would lean towards the council room here, since it would facilitate further ghost ship/villiage buys and lead to you drawing your entire deck every turn much faster.

I.e. I think Council Room gives the opponent a little short-term breathing room (possibly 1 turn that wasn't ghost shipped), but it puts the nail in the coffin faster on subsequent turns. Turns 10-12 may be slightly weaker, but turns 13+ would be drastically accelerated.

Thoughts?

An interesting thought, and I certainly had it mind to use that combo as much as I could.  But there were two things keeping me away from Council Room that turn, both relating to the idea I had to trash all my Copper before buying much expensive treasure.  First, I could easily end up drawing all my Copper and not being able to trash them.  With the setup I had so far, I could try to massage things with Havens so that I increased my chance of hitting my remaining Copper instead of having no deck left or still having a Loan in the deck; I would have settled for 1 Copper left, but managed to get it to fall right to be able to snag them both on the same turn.  Second, I didn't have much of any treasure in my deck to make use of the 4 cards or the extra buy.  There's not much point in getting to use a card such that its drawback is negated if you're not really benefiting from the upsides of the card.  With the tack I was taking with my treasure I pretty much needed to hit Ghost Ship as often as I did; while Council Room would have made it extremely likely I'd have drawn my 1 Ghost Ship, I could have had my initial draw be Council Room + Loan + Quarry + 2 Estates and not have been able to play Ghost Ship that turn.  If I buy a Ghost Ship I have 100% chance of being able to play Ghost Ship when I draw that buy in my initial hand.
Stop reading my signature.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.