Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 330620 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (SIGN-UPS NOW OPEN)
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »

In because you wrote flavor for every possible role.

Volt never goes halfway. It's an admirable trait. Noticed it about him in M-II. Made him hard to convince. Will make him a good moderator. Looking forward to this game.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 01:07:32 pm »

When is this starting?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »

I could be wrong but probably once it hits 13 players, so I would imagine in the next day or 2. Monday would be a safe bet for pre-game or even starting depending on how hot this topic gets
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 01:19:18 pm »

I could be wrong but probably once it hits 13 players, so I would imagine in the next day or 2. Monday would be a safe bet for pre-game or even starting depending on how hot this topic gets
Hmmh, I'd def be in (sounds like a fun setup too) if it was a bit later, but atm I'm busy enough with mafia I and I dont want to be a lurking member so not participating I guess.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »

Hmmh, I'd def be in (sounds like a fun setup too) if it was a bit later, but atm I'm busy enough with mafia I and I dont want to be a lurking member so not participating I guess.

If you somehow have difficulties with getting enough players or something, I could play though. Only having an ipad available makes typing somewhat slow and I feel I'm spending all my online time playing mafia III already and would obviously rather play one game properly than two without being able to put in enough effort.

(Meant mafia III in the last post as well.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »

Roleblocks are best resolved based on dependency imo. 

On the one shot topic,
If a one-shot gets roleblocked, his power is gone, as I've always known it.  You create a terrible problem with the one shot Doc if you don't do it that way: if he tries to protect someone but is roleblocked, he shouldn't be informed.  But if that player isn't targetted for a kill, he has no idea he was roleblocked.  If you let him keep his shot, he has another Doc shot but has no idea he does.  He could send in protection PMs every night just in case, but that's a pain, it's a potentially unnecessary decision with lots of gravity if it's real.

Furthermore, allowing a one-shot to keep his shot even though he was roleblocked subverts the concept of the roleblocker.  The idea is that if a mafia roleblocker PR hunts well enough to block a cop, he will investigate 2 times all game instead of 3 and do some damage that way.  If he roleblocks a one shot cop, he should investigate 0 times instead of 1 time all game.  Delaying an investigation or delaying a protection is a very negligible amount of damage, so you have a roleblocker that randomly fails when he hits the "wrong" PR, which is dumb. 
If you want the roleblocker to interact that way it seems like you don't want a roleblocker at all.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 02:31:50 pm »

By the way, these flavor paragraphs were awesomely well done. Hats off to you, Volt.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 02:59:00 pm »

I shall join. Maybe I'll survive beyond night 1 this time...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 03:02:34 pm »

Ah. the Hell, I'm in.  ;D

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2012, 03:04:12 pm »

I shall join. Maybe I'll survive beyond night 1 this time...
Play worse :P
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 03:09:45 pm »

It looks like we have room for one additional player....

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »

No Robz. No.  You can't sign up twice.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 03:39:37 pm »

Awesome.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 04:13:01 pm »

"I swear, that Robz A guy is mafia!"
"Robz B, are you breaking the outside of the game communication rules? Have you been talking to Robz A?"
(shifty eyes)

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 04:23:31 pm »

There might be something to this Rob A and Rob B theory! Honestly, during the first round of Mafia II, I had convinced myself that Morgrim was mafia.

I remember thinking: "Oh, yes, we got him now. Look at him squirm. We caught that mafia son of a... no, wait. Wait a minute. I'm the mafia."

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 04:35:30 pm »

Robz A: Welcome to Mafia IV!  You are a Gardener, along with your partner, Robz B!

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »

Thanks to all who enjoyed the flavor paragraphs.  I enjoyed writing them.  I'm looking forward to adding more flavor along these lines throughout the game.  :)

On the one shot topic,
If a one-shot gets roleblocked, his power is gone, as I've always known it.  You create a terrible problem with the one shot Doc if you don't do it that way: if he tries to protect someone but is roleblocked, he shouldn't be informed.  But if that player isn't targetted for a kill, he has no idea he was roleblocked.  If you let him keep his shot, he has another Doc shot but has no idea he does.  He could send in protection PMs every night just in case, but that's a pain, it's a potentially unnecessary decision with lots of gravity if it's real.

Furthermore, allowing a one-shot to keep his shot even though he was roleblocked subverts the concept of the roleblocker.  The idea is that if a mafia roleblocker PR hunts well enough to block a cop, he will investigate 2 times all game instead of 3 and do some damage that way.  If he roleblocks a one shot cop, he should investigate 0 times instead of 1 time all game.  Delaying an investigation or delaying a protection is a very negligible amount of damage, so you have a roleblocker that randomly fails when he hits the "wrong" PR, which is dumb. 
If you want the roleblocker to interact that way it seems like you don't want a roleblocker at all.

Thanks pops.  I don't feel strongly either way, so if this is what you've seen in the past and has worked well, then that's what we'll use.  Unless someone else has played with one-shots not getting used up if roleblocked, and can describe their experiences therewith as positive?

Roleblocks are best resolved based on dependency imo.

Just so I'm clear:  is that what I described, or are you picturing some other method?  I confess I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "dependency."  Apologies for my denseness. 

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 04:53:28 pm »

It's what you described.  Sorry for not explaining more clearly, dependency is a concept from Magic: the Gathering rules, it became so understandable to me I didn't realize it's not an immediately clear concept.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:33 am »

Just one more sign-up needed, and we'll be underway!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 05:06:01 am »

Hum. Debating staying signed up. Love the flavor, and believe I would enjoy your moderating, but... Hum.

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 10:07:43 am »

Hum. Debating staying signed up. Love the flavor, and believe I would enjoy your moderating, but... Hum.

Galzria, I sense you're feeling "burnt out" and wondering about whether to continue these Mafia games at all.  In the end, it's just a game, and not worth getting RL upset over.  So if you want to withdraw, that's fine, but... maybe if you tried a game where you committed up front to not posting SO much as you have in, say, M-II (no comment on ongoing M-III)?  I'm only suggesting this because I think you may be getting "burnt out," and I don't know how you kept up your pace in M-II so long anyway.  You can be part of and enjoy these games without having to post novels.  Not that posting novels can't be fun, but you shouldn't feel obligated to do so if you join.

Of course it's your decision to stay or go.  That said, I'd love to have you in this game and think you'd add a lot to it. 

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 11:11:33 am »

Nah, I'll stay. It's not so much a burn-out thing as getting upset about being accused of belittling people (basically). Something I never intended if it felt that way, and would never do. I pointed out with (I believe), an Eevee-O exchange, that things shouldn't get personal, and should remain fun for all parties.

Writing books, fighting for my beliefs, posting 1000 times a day about pineapples: I don't mind all of that. Using emoticons and being certain, sometimes I do just to annoy Robz.

But I would never intentionally insult or belittle anyone, and was fuming (a bit) over being accused of doing so. It's not who I am, well, anywhere. And yeah, I took it a bit personal.

Still want in here. If only because I'm "certain" that you'll run a rather enjoyable game.

Mafia Record:

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile

Come on only one more! SPACE AND TIME ARE LIMITED. (While supplies last, this is a limited time offer, this offer has not been approved by the FDA and may or may not include side affects including nausea, heartburn, and drowsiness)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile

Haha...
We're sorry, all poeple who want to play Mafia are currently playing other games. Please hold. Your call is very important to us. The next available player will be with you in 3 hours.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Haha...
We're sorry, all poeple who want to play Mafia are currently playing other games. Please hold. Your call is very important to us. The next available player will be with you in 3 hours.

*Starts playing Kenny G. soundtrack*

Mafia Record:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.