Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Live report from Origins  (Read 6518 times)

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
Live report from Origins
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:44:48 pm »
+7

Howdy folks. I had the chance to play several games at Origins today. I'll report as much as I can remember. If you have additional questions, I can try to answer them or investigate further tomorrow.

Overall, I would say that the state of the game is "needs work, but has potential." I talked with the developers and they seemed competent, friendly, and receptive to my (several) suggestions.

The app is HTML5. I played it on a demo iPad--much easier than it would be on Isotropic, although I'd prefer the interface of Iso on PC.

The interface is generally competent and I didn't notice any gameplay errors at all; Throne Room correctly stayed out when modifying a Lighthouse.

The app offers both arranged tables and "quickplay". I strongly advocated for the ability to create random sets that were unknown to all players before (as it is now, the host always chooses the set; he has a "randomize" button, but there's no guarantee he's used it). Alarmingly, there was also no way to randomize start player. I advocated for that as well.

Some players expressed concern that the layout would not handle big turns well. I didn't have any deck-drawing megaturns, but it seems to shrink what I had nicely to fit the available area.

I signed up for the beta--the folks suggested that the beta was still quite some time out, so I'm not buying booze for Isotropic's wake just yet.

I can't think of what else to say about it, but I can answer questions eventually--right now I'm off to eat and play some more games. Hawaii was pretty good, even though I got spanked.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Live report from Origins
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:26:15 pm »

Did they have all the expansions ready, or not yet?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »

Did they have all the expansions ready, or not yet?

Not yet. They did not have Cornucopia, Hinterlands, or Alchemy.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:36:18 pm »

Nvm, Donald expained the UI.  8) Seems great.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:55:11 pm by Grujah »

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:00:04 pm »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:48:58 am »

Thanks for the report!  It sounds as though we're still a long way from a finished app/site; what I'm hearing sounds like mid-alpha.  That gives me a bit of hope, as the longer they wait for release, the longer they have to add needed stuff.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »
+3

If I'm going to make a guess (as is in the spirit of these forums lately), I'll wait for the app to get released, people on here to get really upset about certain things about it, them to eventually fix those certain things, and then I'll think about getting it. I'm going to really miss isotropic. Oh well.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.