Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 100  All

Author Topic: Apparently this is where people talk when it's night  (Read 294193 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Apparently this is where people talk when it's night
« Reply #275 on: July 11, 2012, 02:34:29 pm »

Robz is in every game.
You aren't allowed to discuss games in progress  ;)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2012, 02:36:56 pm »

Mafia has taken over my life:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=stats

I've cracked Top 10 for most time on-line...

Which wouldn't be terribly noticeable, except each of the other 9 people have AT LEAST a 5 month jump on me from when we registered.

And still I gain...
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »

Someone pmed me about codes while I was modding mafia 1.  My rules are:

1. No use of a foreign language
2. No mathematical cryptography
3. No use of post timestamps for signalling

If someone wants to come up with keywords for a group of predefined messages it's ok with me.  It's possible to get caught because it will sound awkward in your post, and the marginal benefit is small.  It's not like daytalk where mafia can write defenses for eachother.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2012, 02:53:55 pm »

Which wouldn't be terribly noticeable, except each of the other 9 people have AT LEAST a 5 month jump on me from when we registered.

And still I gain...

Congrats!

I'm happy to have made the Top 10 Most Respected, despite the fact that Forum games don't count for post or respect totals (nor should they). See, my mafia playing does not interfere with my Dominion analyzing!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2012, 02:54:59 pm »

Respect gained from forum games affect your respect...
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 11, 2012, 02:55:49 pm »

And still I gain...

Congrats!

I'm happy to have made the Top 10 Most Respected, despite the fact that Forum games don't count for post or respect totals (nor should they). See, my mafia playing does not interfere with my Dominion analyzing!
I think they do count for respect totals. For example I upvoted one of Inrobzniac's posts and it shows as +1, giving him an infinite post:respect ratio!

edit: ninja'd
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:56:53 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2012, 02:55:55 pm »

I'm going to try disabling the Respect system altogether in the forum games forum and see how that works out.  It just hides the buttons, it doesn't delete any +1's you've already earned here.

I'll also implement this change soon so that the Top 10 Topics (by replies and views) on the stats page isn't just pure Mafia.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 11, 2012, 02:58:05 pm »

Would people be happier if I just disabled the Respect system altogether in the forum games forum?

Not particularily IMO somethings in this forum deserve respect IE moding a game, (not just saying because I have modded one)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:16 pm »

Respect gained from forum games affect your respect...

Oooh, Robz was lying?

Vote: Robz888
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2012, 03:09:31 pm »

I'm going to try disabling the Respect system altogether in the forum games forum and see how that works out.  It just hides the buttons, it doesn't delete any +1's you've already earned here.

I'll also implement this change soon so that the Top 10 Topics (by replies and views) on the stats page isn't just pure Mafia.

Oh, okay. Didn't know! I support the change.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 11, 2012, 03:09:54 pm »

Would people be happier if I just disabled the Respect system altogether in the forum games forum?

Not particularily IMO somethings in this forum deserve respect IE moding a game, (not just saying because I have modded one)
+1

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 11, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »

But this is a forum about Dominion, and while I don't believe the mafia playing undermines the Dominion discussion in any way (it probably strengthens it; I check the forum topics way more, now), I can understand that we want respect here to derive from Dominion knowledge and analysis. And particularly clever jokes.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2012, 03:34:21 pm »

But this is a forum about Dominion, and while I don't believe the mafia playing undermines the Dominion discussion in any way (it probably strengthens it; I check the forum topics way more, now), I can understand that we want respect here to derive from Dominion knowledge and analysis. And particularly clever jokes.
+1

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2012, 04:26:31 pm »

It is technically illegal. I wasn't that stoked when I was told about the jailkeeper thing the thing is as a mod I'm not going to read every single post to see if there is a hidden message there especially since even if I find one it doesn't mean it was intended. So while it is against the rules it is super hard to enforce. The rules in question are

9. Do not edit or delete posts. We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.

1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.

Sorry about that.  Luckily it never came into play during the game then!  I was more under the impression that encryption applies to passing secret messages between players.  I would be OK if a player decided to leave encrypted notes that nobody else could decrypt.  If he later says, "I had this here all along", well it's legitimate not to trust it at all.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 11, 2012, 04:31:15 pm »

And still I gain...

Congrats!

I think they do count for respect totals. For example I upvoted one of Inrobzniac's posts and it shows as +1, giving him an infinite post:respect ratio!

edit: ninja'd

For the record Inrobzniac is a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:48 pm »

It is technically illegal. I wasn't that stoked when I was told about the jailkeeper thing the thing is as a mod I'm not going to read every single post to see if there is a hidden message there especially since even if I find one it doesn't mean it was intended. So while it is against the rules it is super hard to enforce. The rules in question are

9. Do not edit or delete posts. We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.

1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.

Sorry about that.  Luckily it never came into play during the game then!  I was more under the impression that encryption applies to passing secret messages between players.  I would be OK if a player decided to leave encrypted notes that nobody else could decrypt.  If he later says, "I had this here all along", well it's legitimate not to trust it at all.

Fair enough its just that say neither you or I are in a game, I PM you a decryption key like the first post of mafia I will reveal you my role use this decryption key to find it out. Its information you have that others dont. This is ALSO true of anyone who caught your jailkeeiiper message

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2012, 05:40:15 pm »

Fair enough its just that say neither you or I are in a game, I PM you a decryption key like the first post of mafia I will reveal you my role use this decryption key to find it out. Its information you have that others dont. This is ALSO true of anyone who caught your jailkeeiiper message

But that's different. In the decryption key case, or with an agreed upon code, the mafia are using their night talk to concoct a pseudo-Day talk, a power they shouldn't have. But if a townie uses code to softclaim so they can point to it later as proof, no one has more information than anyone else. The mafia is as likely to catch it as the town.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 11, 2012, 05:45:41 pm »

Unless some players take the time to look for hidden codes in everything and find it at which point those players have more information than others, and that isn't the kind of analysis I want players to waste their time on.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 11, 2012, 05:47:10 pm »

Oh, so players who read carefully have more information than players who skim? How unfair!

In Dominion, players who mentally keep track of the number of Provinces everyone has have an unfair advantage over the ones who buy greencards at random! I cry foul!
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:38 pm »

Oh, so players who read carefully have more information than players who skim? How unfair!

In Dominion, players who mentally keep track of the number of Provinces everyone has have an unfair advantage over the ones who buy greencards at random! I cry foul!

I play Mafia with a Post Count Extention that analysies all this for me
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 11, 2012, 05:49:51 pm »

I'm not saying that you shouldn't read deeply, but Its a waste of time to try to decrypt messages that may or may not be there, it goes to the analyzing words instead of content this form is so bad at.

I play Mafia with a Post Count Extention that analysies all this for me

lol

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 11, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »

Folks, after doing some further research, I think we're stretching the "no encryption" rule way beyond its original intent.

See http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Newbie_Game&oldid=78757, #15 under the "Moderators" section, for the no-encryption rule.  This links to http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=2178604; specifically, see post #155 and what follows, for the situation that the "no encryption" rule was designed to prevent.

When this rule says "encryption," it means literally a letter-for-letter substitution cipher. 

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2012, 05:52:29 pm »

While we are here

I dont suppose anyone knows anything about computer netowrks and is in the leatherhead area?
I am still at work and its nearly 11pm because the current BT engineer we got here is a fuckwit who keeps messing things up

Put me in a right foul mood!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2012, 07:21:02 pm »

Folks, after doing some further research, I think we're stretching the "no encryption" rule way beyond its original intent.

See http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Newbie_Game&oldid=78757, #15 under the "Moderators" section, for the no-encryption rule.  This links to http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=2178604; specifically, see post #155 and what follows, for the situation that the "no encryption" rule was designed to prevent.

When this rule says "encryption," it means literally a letter-for-letter substitution cipher.

This is irrelevant.

Each mod gets to decide what rules mean for their own games.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2012, 07:24:39 pm »

This is irrelevant.

Each mod gets to decide what rules mean for their own games.

Agree it's up to each mod to decide.
Disagree it's irrelevant.  Because relevancy is up to the mod to decide. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 100  All

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 20 queries.