Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 100  All

Author Topic: Apparently this is where people talk when it's night  (Read 294101 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Apparently this is where people talk when it's night
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »

Not because I'm itching to do anything immediately, but if I wind up modding Mafia IV soon the way I ended up modding Mafia I (for lack of a qualified volunteer), I want as much advance notice as I can get.

Content to watch Mafia II and III?  Eager to do another open setup, eager to do a closed, eager to do a large?  After you've played one mafia game I think you can pretty much play as advanced a game as you want to, though a good, balanced, fun, closed theme is harder to design than a more normal game.

Just probing interest here.  Now that there's a forum games section you can play Resistance or maybe a paper and pencil RPG here. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:26:04 pm by popsofctown »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Any void left by Mafia I?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:08:14 pm »

I would play another game. I prefer knowing what roles are available, but but either way is fine. Large group or small group is fine.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:11:49 pm »

I would play another game. I prefer knowing what roles are available, but but either way is fine. Large group or small group is fine.
You impress me, Robz. This just goes to show how many forum games the human body is capable of playing. I think this i my last mafia game for a while...
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:19:15 pm »

I'm not in until I get back from my June 7th-17th vacation. I'd do one after that, but not before.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:19:58 pm »

I would be interested to try modding a Mafia game, but I'm kinda worried about over-extending (i.e., modding a game WHILE also participating in two games).  I'm not a Robz.  :)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »

I would recommend not modding and playing 2.  What inevitably happens is you put less effort into the games you're playing and the games you are -playing- in suffer.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:51:11 pm »

I'd definetly be up for one seeing as M-II ends at the end of day 3 ;)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:03:55 pm »

Well, it ends at the end of day 3 if a townie gets lynched? But not if a mafia does?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:42:51 pm »

2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:43:28 pm »

It's a little inappropriate to come here, outside of the game, and make posts about whether you're town in the game or not. Discussion related to what role you are should stay in the game thread.

[fakeedit]Axxle beat me to it.[/fakeedit]

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 01:54:22 am »

I think 2 Mafia's and a Resistance is my limit. I'm actually human, unlike Robz. If/When Mafia-II ends, I would very much be up for Mafia-IV. My preference is closed, with boundaries. I don't need to know how MANY roles are present, or WHAT roles are present... I just want to know a list of what COULD be present. I know, it's not *quite* closed Mafia, but I think I would enjoy it more. At least I know WHAT to look for/expect. I'm not familiar enough with the game to just assume ANYTHING could be out there, because I don't know what ANYTHING could be. As far as size goes, well, I don't know. I've enjoyed the closeness of the players in Mafia-II (town and Mafia alike!), but find the speed and spread out nature of Mafia-III to be a nice change and interesting one. So I think I would be happy with either.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 07:34:53 am »

Im off on holiday for a week now, so wont be around to be in another one, and then its summer so will actually try to get outside for a bit!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 11:53:30 am »

Well, now that Mafia II has come to its conclusion (amazing game by Galzria and Robz there), I feel better about having time to moderate Mafia IV.

Here's the setup I was contemplating.  I browsed the Mafiascum wiki for interesting options, and this jumped out at me for reasons I'll explain below:

• 2 Mafia Goons
  • 2 Werewolves
  • 3 Masons
  • 5 Townies

And the role descriptions:

-------

Mafia Goon
Welcome, [Player Name]. You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partner, [Player Name].
Abilities:

Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partner here [QuickTopic link].
Factional kill: Each night phase, one of you or your partner may perform the factional kill.
Win condition:

You win when the other scumteam is eliminated and you control 50% of the town or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Werewolf
Welcome, [Player Name]. You are a Werewolf, along with your partner, [Player Name].
Abilities:

Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partner here [QuickTopic link].
Factional kill: Each night phase, one of you or your partner may perform the factional kill.
Win condition:

You win when the other scumteam is eliminated and you control 50% of the town or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Town Mason
Welcome, [Player Name], you are a Town Mason, along with your partners, [Player Name] and [Player Name].
Abilities:

Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partners here [QuickTopic link].
You are confirmed town to your partners, and them to you.
Win condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

Vanilla Townie
Welcome, [Player Name], you are a Vanilla Townie.
Abilities:

Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.
Win condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

--------

I like the looks of this because it sets the focus squarely on communication, rather than power roles.  And I like the presence of multiple factions - it fits the theme I have in mind very nicely.

Thoughts?  Pros/cons?  Interest?  I'll wait to start a Mafia IV thread until this evening (EDT) at the earliest, so folks can weigh in with their comments.  Thanks!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 11:55:42 am »

I am in! Love it.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56:18 am »

I would be in.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 12:05:15 pm »

Also, for those who would have joined Mafia III but decided against it because of the publicly available discussion thread, I am thinking Mafia IV would have no public discussion thread (not even a quicktopic).  Personally, I don't actually care much either way;  but I think it's better for this growing Dominion Mafia community to have both "public discussion" and "no public discussion" games available, so people can choose which they prefer.

But if people feel strongly against this, let me know (and let me know why)!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 01:07:29 pm »

I hate multiball (multiple scumteams), so I would not be in for that.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 02:46:03 pm »

I've been following some of the Mafia threads, and it's pulled me out of lurking to wanting to play.

So, regardless of set up for the next game...I'm in.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 02:54:22 pm »

I hate multiball (multiple scumteams), so I would not be in for that.

Fair enough, pops.  Just so I know - would this also extend to a setup with Town, Mafia, and a Serial Killer?  (I was toying with that setup as well.)

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 02:56:57 pm »

I'd be interested in playing another game, although closed setups sound like they'd be somewhat overwhelming.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 03:01:55 pm »

I was thinking about other variants that would fit my theme idea, and here's another option I wouldn't mind running - especially if we can't get up to 12 participants.  This one requires only 7.

Setup
- 2 Mafia Goons or 2 Werewolves
- 3 Townies
- 1 Cop
- 1 Seer

Mechanics
- Daystart
- Mafia Goons or Werewolves are chosen randomly by the mod pregame
- Cop gets results in the form of Mafia/Not Mafia
- Seer gets results in the form of Werewolf/Not Werewolf

The idea being, you have two investigative roles, each able to suss out only one type of scum.  Only one type of scum will actually be in the game.  But it's randomly chosen WHICH type of scum that is.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 03:03:12 pm »

No, it doesn't extend to Serial killers.

That might seem inconsistent, but from personal experience the psychology of multiball much harder to catch during the daygame, but Serial killers don't.  Serial killers can often express genuine interest in finding mafia but tend to give off truckloads of survivalist tells.  Mafia in an SK game tend to get caught SK hunting, which looks different than scumhunting because SKs tend to be so different.

EDIT: I've played the open setup you just listed.  I was mafia.  We lost because we tried a gambit that only failed because a townie forgot to claim in his first post (it was complicated but anyway it was a bit like shooting a pool ball and missing your target and knocking a different good one in).
It's not my favorite setup because of the investigative role focus.  I think a semiopen would be a good idea (that's a closed setup with all the possible roles listed)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:07:11 pm by popsofctown »

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 03:06:12 pm »

The idea being, you have two investigative roles, each able to suss out only one type of scum.  Only one type of scum will actually be in the game.  But it's randomly chosen WHICH type of scum that is.
So we'd basically have Cop and a Naive Cop? http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Cop
Although it'd be slightly different since the Naive Cop would know that they're one once a Mafia/Werewolf gets killed.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 03:08:04 pm »

Naive cops have unconfirmed sanity, so it's really another thing entirely..

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 03:33:11 pm »

I'd be up for the next game thats run
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 100  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.