Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Dominion Lingo Dictionary  (Read 99244 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Lingo Dictionary
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2011, 11:36:04 am »

PPR is in the list of abbreviations in the OP.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2011, 11:50:57 am »

PPR is in the list of abbreviations in the OP.
Oh woops I skipped over it because it was just a link xD.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2011, 11:55:46 am »

Can we try to come up with a uniform definition for the term combo? I have noticed this getting debated off-handedly in a number of threads recently.
I would propose the following three definitions:

Combo: Two or more cards that work together in such a way that the sum of the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Complete Combo: A combo (see above) that by itself is an entire strategy, such that buying just the combo cards and money can be enough to win a game (village/torturer, village/wharf, etc.)

Incomplete Combo: A combo (see above) that needs other cards to be effective. Usually this will be an accelrator or bonus component for another engine. (hamlet/menagerie, salvager/spice merchant)

I think it is useful to distinguish between these three concepts, although the names could maybe use some work.

But, and this is the problem I have with much of what gets posted in this thread, people don't actually use those terms. I don't think things should be here saying 'people should use this phrase' because it almost never catches on. If it HAS caught on, then post it. (I'm obviously excepting combo here, though that's not super well-defined and agreed upon)

See also:  cantrip

I actually use the word "cantrip" quite a lot...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2011, 05:24:49 pm »

Lots of people use the word cantrip; however, there's variation in what exactly they mean by it.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2011, 01:21:31 am »

Lots of people use the word cantrip; however, there's variation in what exactly they mean by it.
Any play of a card whose effects include (at least) +1 Card +1 Action is a cantrip. Any play of a card that does not include +1 Card +1 Action is not a cantrip. Anyone who is using a different definition of "cantrip" in Dominion is (IMO) utterly full of it :P

Yes, this means Village is a cantrip. Yes, that's OK. No, I don't find it remotely understandable or coherent that some people have difficulty with the idea of Village being a cantrip. Yes, it's also a "Village" (a term with a much looser definition, sometimes so broad as to encompass any and all cards that ever give +2 Actions); it can be both.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2011, 02:03:39 pm »

is there a word for a non-replacing non-terminal like Lighthouse, Minion, or sometimes Tournament?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2011, 04:43:34 pm »

Any play of a card whose effects include (at least) +1 Card +1 Action is a cantrip. Any play of a card that does not include +1 Card +1 Action is not a cantrip. Anyone who is using a different definition of "cantrip" in Dominion is (IMO) utterly full of it :P

Yes, this means Village is a cantrip. Yes, that's OK. No, I don't find it remotely understandable or coherent that some people have difficulty with the idea of Village being a cantrip. Yes, it's also a "Village" (a term with a much looser definition, sometimes so broad as to encompass any and all cards that ever give +2 Actions); it can be both.
So does this make Tournament a cantrip? Even when the effect of +draw is negated?

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2011, 04:54:35 pm »
+3

So does this make Tournament a cantrip? Even when the effect of +draw is negated?
It's more of a might-rip.  *ducks*

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2011, 05:35:51 pm »

It's more of a might-rip.  *ducks*
So it just might-rip you? :P

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »
+1

Tournament serves as a cantrip precisely when nobody else reveals a Province.

If you are not comfortable with the "play of a card" classification scheme I described (which I thought was pretty clear), and you want to talk about classifying cards (rather than plays of cards) as cantrips, then Tournament as a card is not a cantrip.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6118
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2011, 06:19:26 pm »
+1

This is now here as well: http://dominionstrategy.com/glossary/

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2011, 09:37:39 pm »

I always use FG for fool's gold, how 'bout that?

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2012, 01:22:57 am »

I think the term originated from Magic and it just meant any card that drew exactly 1 card (in addition to another effect).  So if someone uses the term for a card that has +1 Card but no +1 Action they are not exactly full of it, more using the phrase for it's original meaning.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:36 am »

Pseudo-Trash:  Remove cards from your deck without trashing them, e.g., Island.
Sift:  Filter through your cards by removing unwanted cards.  Similar to cycling, but with more finesses.  See, e.g., Warehouse.

Confusing use of the word "remove" here. For sifting it should be something like "Filter through your cards by going past unwanted cards." Or maybe just "discarding".

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »
+3

The Golden Deck should really be added to the dictionary, since we seem to be using it pretty consistently.

(Golden Deck, of course, being a setup that relies on a 5-card deck, or presumably equivalent with extra cantrips, which Bishops away a Province and buys one each turn.)
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2012, 06:42:14 pm »

The Golden Deck should really be added to the dictionary, since we seem to be using it pretty consistently.

(Golden Deck, of course, being a setup that relies on a 5-card deck, or presumably equivalent with extra cantrips, which Bishops away a Province and buys one each turn.)

Would KC/KC/Explorer/Province/Bishop be the platinum deck? Or do we want to broaden this definition?

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »
+1

I suspect that broadening the definition is better. A lot of things are variations of a Golden Deck, and don't really need specialized terminology.  People would understand you  fine if you called KC/KC/Explorer/Province/Bishop a 'Golden Deck', or if you called 'Plat, Plat, Bishop, Colony' a Golden Deck, and so on.  And even with a province-buying golden deck, it can switch to buying golds instead of provinces, and it can be composed of different combinations of treasures or actions. 

Proposed definition: Golden Deck: a deck which plays a Bishop each turn for VP chips, and immediately re-gains any card which was trashed, thus gaining points without changing deck composition. For example, the 5-card deck of 'Gold, silver, silver, Bishop, province,' trashes and buys a province for a gain of 5 points per turn.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2012, 12:33:38 am »

I think just the stipulation of "gains points without changing deck composition" might be enough.  KC/KC/Monument x3 fits this bill, as does Crossroads/Watchtower/Goons x3.  Stipulating that there are just five cards is probably not unreasonable though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2012, 09:39:30 pm »
+2

Split also refers to the number of certain cards that you and your opponent have. Like, 6-4 Curse Split.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2012, 11:46:14 pm »

Cantrip is actually older than MtG, I remember on an MtG forum someone said it comes from D&D.

JustANewPlayer

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »

Cantrip is actually older than MtG, I remember on an MtG forum someone said it comes from D&D.

Correct; it refers to a 0th level arcane spell.

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2012, 09:29:43 pm »

Disappearing Village: A village which does not add a card to your hand (Festival, University, Fishing Village, Native Village, sometimes Shanty Town). 

These are useful if you want to play a village and still get full value from a draw-to-X card (Library, Watchtower), or if you want to do something else with the top card of your deck (Harvest). 

(edited to correct definition; thanks ftl)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:20:32 pm by Markov Chain »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:50 pm »

Also, Hamlet goes into that group.  8)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2012, 04:11:00 am »
+2

WW: WanderingWinder (rarely, Wishing Well, in context)

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2012, 04:17:34 am »

Disappearing Village: A village which does not add a card to your deck (Festival, University, Fishing Village, Native Village, sometimes Shanty Town). 

These are useful if you want to play a village and still get full value from a draw-to-X card (Library, Watchtower), or if you want to do something else with the top card of your deck (Harvest).

You mean hand, not deck, I presume?

"Disappearing Village: A village which does not give +1 card, thus decreasing your hand size after you play it."

It's a phrase that's only used when discussing Watchtower or Library, though. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.