Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Dominion Lingo Dictionary  (Read 99286 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Lingo Dictionary
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2012, 01:19:52 pm »

Disappearing Village: A village which does not add a card to your deck (Festival, University, Fishing Village, Native Village, sometimes Shanty Town). 

These are useful if you want to play a village and still get full value from a draw-to-X card (Library, Watchtower), or if you want to do something else with the top card of your deck (Harvest).

You mean hand, not deck, I presume?

"Disappearing Village: A village which does not give +1 card, thus decreasing your hand size after you play it."

It's a phrase that's only used when discussing Watchtower or Library, though.

JoaT too, though not as often.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2012, 08:59:15 am »
+2

some requests to be added to the dictionary.  not quite dominion lingo as much as inside jokes but they are probably close enough by now.

to 'Marin' someone -
"Looking at the posts I would think it's the art of getting behind as far as you can and still being able to pull out a win."
"I think it's, go for some unbelievably crazy what-the-heck-was-that engine, preferably with massive VP deficit only to make it up in the final turns."
source

rrenaud's law -
any sufficiently long enough forum thread will inevitably discuss the official online dominion implementation
source

any blue dog reference -
Donald X. used a reference to a blue dog to explain the interaction between Ironworks and Trader
source
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2012, 04:20:49 pm »
+1

Some updates posted.  Anyone else have in-jokes they can think of?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2012, 12:09:27 am »

Just some abbreviations worth mentioning:

DS (DominionStrategy.com)
f.DS (forum.DominionStrategy.com)

PCE (Point Counter Extension)

There are probably a few others that are not directly in-game, but come up often enough that are worth mentioning.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2012, 04:38:06 am »
+1

Dig for X: Abbreviation for "Reveal and set aside cards from your deck until you reveal X. Put X into your hand (/play X) and discard the other revealed cards".

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2012, 08:27:40 am »

Is AP defined at all here? I know what it means, but can never remember what it stands for. Something like Attention Paralysis?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:38 am »
+1

Analysis Paralysis.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2012, 08:02:59 pm »
+2

Pseudo-Trash:  Remove cards from your deck without trashing them, e.g., Island.
Sift:  Filter through your cards by removing unwanted cards.  Similar to cycling, but with more finesses.  See, e.g., Warehouse.

Confusing use of the word "remove" here. For sifting it should be something like "Filter through your cards by going past unwanted cards." Or maybe just "discarding".
This was never responded to, nor is the dictionary corrected. Seems like a pretty serious thing to me, if you want to dictionary to actually be helpful to people who don't know the terms.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2012, 08:16:32 pm »
+1

Pseudo-Trash:  Remove cards from your deck without trashing them, e.g., Island.
Sift:  Filter through your cards by removing unwanted cards.  Similar to cycling, but with more finesses.  See, e.g., Warehouse.

Confusing use of the word "remove" here. For sifting it should be something like "Filter through your cards by going past unwanted cards." Or maybe just "discarding".
This was never responded to, nor is the dictionary corrected. Seems like a pretty serious thing to me, if you want to dictionary to actually be helpful to people who don't know the terms.

Taken care of, sorry I missed this!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »

'Estate Tennis' could probably do with a mention as it's pretty obscure.
Perhaps 'Dead cards' too (different from drawing dead), though maybe that's self explanatory.

On reading through I wonder if Greening could do with a slightly expanded explanation. Greening - at least to me - is not simply the point when you start buying VP cards, as this could really be any time for the inexperienced player, but more specifically refers to the point where you make a concerted effort to start buying up the VP cards en masse, and is in some ways is analogous with a point sort between the mid-game and the end-game (wherever the heck that might be). Sometimes you might catch an early province, and I don't know about you guys but I'm not sure that's what is typically meant by greening, it's not the shift of gears that greening seems to imply to me. It's a subtle distinction and it doesn't need a massive explanation (like my verbose ramblings), but I think it's worth alluding to. Then again, I could be totally wrong. :)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2012, 04:12:17 pm »
+1

I think we need to start adding Dark Ages abbreviations.  Definitely BoM for Band of Misfits.  Potentially HG and WM for Hunting Grounds and Wandering Minstrel?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2012, 01:12:39 am »

I would add "search space", in regards to the odds of being able to discard Tunnel with Warehouse vs Embassy, for example.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2012, 03:38:18 pm »

I think we need to start adding Dark Ages abbreviations.  Definitely BoM for Band of Misfits.  Potentially HG and WM for Hunting Grounds and Wandering Minstrel?

We need to figure out how to disambiguate abbreviations for Merchant Ship and Market Square; unsurprisingly I've seen MS for both...
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2012, 06:11:17 pm »
+1

We need to figure out how to disambiguate abbreviations for Merchant Ship and Market Square; unsurprisingly I've seen MS for both...
Don't know if this has already been taken care of, but sometimes context is not enough to differentiate BM from BM.  (Big Money v. Black Market)
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2012, 10:35:17 pm »
+2

Generally every post starting a new thread should avoid all abbreviations on first mention of a card. If a later post introduces a new card to the thread, that card shouldn't be abbreviated either.

Another thing is that it's actually generally much easier to read a post that uses full names of cards, so I would say that the time you save by using an abbreviation is probably not more than the aggregate time people who read your post waste by reading it slower, or even looking up abbreviations.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2012, 03:44:35 am »

Don't know if this has already been taken care of, but sometimes context is not enough to differentiate BM from BM.  (Big Money v. Black Market)

Yeah, this problem exists already for Farming Village vs. Fishing Village, Trade Route vs. Throne Room, Philosopher's Stone vs. Pirate Ship and Worker's Village vs. Walled Village. And I don't even want to think if you start to abbreviate cards with long words which cause more problems e.g. Fairgrounds vs. Fool's Gold.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2012, 05:35:52 am »

I thought most people used PStone or Phil Stone for Philosopher's Stone...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2012, 11:41:02 am »
+1

Yeah, this problem exists already for Farming Village vs. Fishing Village, Trade Route vs. Throne Room, Philosopher's Stone vs. Pirate Ship and Worker's Village vs. Walled Village. And I don't even want to think if you start to abbreviate cards with long words which cause more problems e.g. Fairgrounds vs. Fool's Gold.

No one cares about Walled Village, so WV is always Worker's Village.  And FG is Fool's Gold; Fairgrounds is always spelled out.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2012, 05:26:05 am »
+1

Generally every post starting a new thread should avoid all abbreviations on first mention of a card. If a later post introduces a new card to the thread, that card shouldn't be abbreviated either.

True, but this is a dictonary, not a style guide. Probably it could hava a sentence like "As many abbreviations are ambigious, it is good style to spell out card names in threads/post the first time they are used."

But in the list, there should be just the documentation of how they are usually used, even if there are multiple uses, because that's what's it for.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:58 am »
+1

I shall try to actually get this updated in the next few days.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »
+2

I'm not used to Band of Misfits yet; when I see BoM, I think they mean "Bought only Money"  :-\

NewandForgiven

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:36 am »
+2

One minor addition...

Choke - same as 'Clog (or Bloat, Gum Up...)'. 'My engine choked after gaining 3 curses'.
MtG: B/U/r Jonny. Dragonage: Human Noble, then Arcane Warrior. Medieval II: English. Elder Scrolls III: Breton with warhammer, IV: Redguard longsword, V: Altmer mage. 40k: Tau. LotR maniac. The cult of Firefly.

I'll leave you to decide what that says about me as a Dominion player. (Clue, I love scout)

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:19 am »
+2

One minor addition...

Choke - same as 'Clog (or Bloat, Gum Up...)'. 'My engine choked after gaining 3 curses'.

welcome to the forums! much of this topic has been moved to our wiki site, so a change there might be more effective than a change here. you can find the relevant page here.

i think i'll go in and modify the OP to include the wiki link too.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:54 am »
+1

One minor addition...

welcome to the forums! much of this topic has been moved to our wiki site, so a change there might be more effective than a change here. you can find the relevant page here.

i think i'll go in and modify the OP to include the wiki link too.

Huh, I had no idea you'd wikified this!  Cool, thank you.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2013, 04:47:42 pm »

Does this need some updates for Dark Ages and Guilds; or are those changes already in the Wiki?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.