Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Supply Trasher  (Read 5408 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Supply Trasher
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:14:25 pm »

Thinking of new ways to trash cards I thought about potentially trashing things from the supply.  This may work well with the upcoming Dark Ages set that may or may not care about trashed cards, but also quickens the game in an interesting way.  Maybe something like this:

Rioter - $3 Action
+2 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand
You may trash a card from the supply

Rioter - $2 Action
+1 Card, +1 Action
Trash a card from the supply

Sloppy Village Sacked Village - $4 Action
+1 Card, +2 Action
Trash a card from the supply
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:23:54 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Supply Trasher
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:22:31 pm »

I would suggest Sacked Village, as if it had been overrun by Rioters or Barbarians.  :)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:24:23 pm »

I would suggest Sacked Village, as if it had been overrun by Rioters or Barbarians.  :)
Thanks.  To be honest I didn't really think about these cards for very long.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:24:41 am »
+2

What about
Slave Driver - Action $5
Gain a card costing up to $4. Play it. Trash it.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:36:36 am »

What about
Slave Driver - Action $5

I like it - although you probably need to specify this as an action card.  Note, in the case of bridge or highway, this would allow the slave driver to instantly pile drive itself.  I'm not sure if that's a problem, or just a cool combo.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:17 am »

What about
Slave Driver - Action $5

So for a $5 you are getting an effect of $4 card?
Though with versatile $4 it might be good (Remake, Monument, Worker's Village, for example).. still would seem like you overpaid it, though I might be wrong. But concept is veery interesting (its kinda like Steward).
How will it work with Treasures? (although it would suck with most of them, like Quarry/Talisman because they don't stay in play so effect is wasted).

Rioter #1 could be ok.
Rioter #2 sucks (I mean, no actual benefit except depleting a pile).
Sacked Village I actually like quite a bit.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:50:47 am »

Well, 4 would defintely be too cheap.
I thought itd play nicely with highway/bridge, missed that interaction though. I dont think gaining non-actions is a problem, its just mostly useless.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 10:08:09 am »

Well, 4 would defintely be too cheap.

Yeah, I agree.
$5 is the cost for sure. I just guess it depends heavily on setup, but the more I think about it the more I like it.
If you have varied kingdom it can do almost whatever you want at that point (Virtual Money, trash, Draw, provide actions, attack..).
With some Village and Smithy its like Nobles. With Menagerie it is great, with stuff that you want now but not later as well.
Of course, with Highroad its a powerhouse.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:58:17 am »

Slave Driver could specifically state that it can't gain itself, but that might be weird (to players unfamiliar with cost-reducers) when it costs more than what it gains.

I think it works fine with Treasure.  Actually, it introduces some interesting interactions, specifically with Quarry.  You get a Black-Market effect.

I'm more curious about what you think it should do with Victory cards, or even Curses.   Play them even though they have no effect?  It would help with HoP, at least.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 12:28:31 pm »

A bit tangential, but this reminds me of a thought I had that watchtower might see an increased use of its ability to trash a gained card in conjunction with Dark Ages. If trashing/trashed cards are important, there may be situations where the best move is to buy a card and send it straight to the trash with Watchtower.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 12:32:56 pm »

Slave Driver could specifically state that it can't gain itself, but that might be weird (to players unfamiliar with cost-reducers) when it costs more than what it gains.

I think it works fine with Treasure.  Actually, it introduces some interesting interactions, specifically with Quarry.  You get a Black-Market effect.

I'm more curious about what you think it should do with Victory cards, or even Curses.   Play them even though they have no effect?  It would help with HoP, at least.

Well, because you trash it just after you play it, you don't get the Quarry effect (card is not in play anymore) and won't help with HoP either.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »

New version:
Slave Driver - Action $5
Gain a card costing up to $4 other than Slave Driver. Play it. Trash it in your clean-up phase.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 12:39:03 pm »

Well, because you trash it just after you play it, you don't get the Quarry effect (card is not in play anymore) and won't help with HoP either.

Oh whoops.  How about "trash the gained card in the cleanup phase"?  The issue then becomes tracking...

Although perhaps that issue already exists.  What happens when you use it on a Duration?

(Edit: Watno had the same thought about clean-up phase trashing.  Maybe Durations just don't work on your next turn.)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 12:45:34 pm »

Maybe -

When you discard it in your clean-up phase, trash it.
So than everything works, even Durations.

Edit: Or,
When you would discard it during your clean-up please, trash it instead.
(So that it doesn't clash with Scheme - i.e. Scheme doesn't put it back into the deck.. Hmm.. or maybe you would want that ?  ;D).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:48:16 pm by Grujah »

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 12:48:42 pm »

funny interaction with scheme though^^
EDIT: also alchemist, herbalist,...

EDIT2: lol editing.  your new version also has issues with gaining victory cards. (they dont get discarded in the cleanup phase, so it would need to be "gain in your hand".
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:52:38 pm by Watno »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 06:51:14 pm »

Wording suggestion:
Slave Driver

Gain a card costing up to $4 other than Slave Driver and play it.
If you do, when you would discard it, trash it instead.
$5 ACTION
If you gained a Victory card with it, it goes to your discard pile and cannot be put into play, thusly, the second part asking you to trash it will never occur.
Its trashing occurs just before it would be discarded, so any card attempting to redirect a discarded card (Scheme) would fail. The only thing that could save the gained card is top decking it with Watchtower (thus causing it to not be played because Slave Driver would lose track of the card) or top decking a Treasure by buying Mandarin, and such a synergy is very limited, even with Highway.
Its effect isn't very strong. I would most commonly grab this to use a trashing card like Chapel so that I would have a slightly more useful card in my deck when I was done. I would drop it to $4 as a Workshop plus (like Ironworks): Not to mention it would make its text (that it excludes itself) more logical.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »

Supply trashing is a surprisingly powerful effect, when you can use it to target anything. Blast some of those provinces off the board...
If you make it a non-victory, I think it's much more interesting.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 07:08:05 pm »

Just about to say what WW said. Province/Colony trashing is way too good for whoever is in the lead.

Also, about slave driver, why not just say - gain a card costing less than this card. That way we don't have to worry about the awkward cant gain itself wording.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15:43 pm »

Oh, and to illustrate the point about green trashing: consider that one of the best things going for a card like salvager, and to a lesser extent apprentice, but also remodel, is that you can province->province to effectively shorten the game. This stuff lets you do that without having them collide. And you lose the other cute stuff you can do, but you gain some other benefit as well.
Actually, I think the village has already been posted, basically verbatim, at some point....
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.