Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!  (Read 94244 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2012, 02:01:01 pm »

It will be html5 probably if you look at their page: www.funsockets.com

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »
+1

Great.  ;D Thanks also.

Now I just need to cross my fingers that they'll use some platform independent technology for PlayDominion.com and not Silverlight/Unity/similar crap.

Their website indicates they program pretty much only in HTML5, so it should be independent.

My immediate question on seeing it was:  why are the cards in hand not sorted?  Will I be able to sort them?  Why are the cards in play not sorted?  Why the heck are the cards splayed like that?  I can't imagine actually holding them like that in my hand...

Other than that, what WW said, basically.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2012, 02:22:42 pm »

Great.  ;D Thanks also.

Now I just need to cross my fingers that they'll use some platform independent technology for PlayDominion.com and not Silverlight/Unity/similar crap.

Their website indicates they program pretty much only in HTML5, so it should be independent.

My immediate question on seeing it was:  why are the cards in hand not sorted?  Will I be able to sort them?  Why are the cards in play not sorted?  Why the heck are the cards splayed like that?  I can't imagine actually holding them like that in my hand...

Other than that, what WW said, basically.
Why should they be sorted? I assume they're in the order you drew/played them in.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2012, 02:24:14 pm »

It will be html5 probably if you look at their page: www.funsockets.com

Great.  ;D

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2012, 04:01:12 pm »
+1

Why should they be sorted? I assume they're in the order you drew/played them in.

Well, if there's a mechanism to sort them myself, then OK, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't sort them on its own somehow--much like Iso.  The order in which I drew them can only ever be useful in after-the-fact analysis.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2012, 04:26:03 pm »

So, it's definitely a home screen web app then, since it has the black translucent status bar.

Does that mean it's native or browser?  Because lots of people on BGG were bitching about that...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2012, 04:27:39 pm »

So, it's definitely a home screen web app then, since it has the black translucent status bar.

Does that mean it's native or browser?  Because lots of people on BGG were bitching about that...

Browser. Although it doesn't rule out the possibility that they would release it in a native shell. (Edit: This is wrong.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:46:44 pm by blueblimp »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2012, 04:43:06 pm »
+1

Browser. Although it doesn't rule out the possibility that they would release it in a native shell.

I don't think this is correct. The SDK allows you to set the status bar to the black translucent style in a native app.

It could very well be a web site, but I don't think you can tell from just the status bar.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but I believe Apple's terms don't allow for an app in the store that's nothing other than a webview to wrap a website.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2012, 04:46:30 pm »

Browser. Although it doesn't rule out the possibility that they would release it in a native shell.

I don't think this is correct. The SDK allows you to set the status bar to the black translucent style in a native app.

It could very well be a web site, but I don't think you can tell from just the status bar.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but I believe Apple's terms don't allow for an app in the store that's nothing other than a webview to wrap a website.

Whoops, you are absolutely correct. Even the included Weather app appears to have this style of status bar.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »
+2

Whoops, you are absolutely correct. Even the included Weather app appears to have this style of status bar.

Everyone at BGG seems to think that it's a native app (and they're quite excited about that!) but I think they're just going off of the fact that they don't see an address and search bar at the top. Probably don't realize that you can tell a website to hide that stuff on mobile Safari. Based on FunSocket's site, it seems most likely that the whole thing is HTML5.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2012, 07:18:43 pm »
+13

Why are Colony, Province, Duchy on the left, whereas estate is with curse on the right? (not that this is actually a real problem).
Because it's a Colony game. Normally it's Province Duchy Estate, Gold Silver Copper Curse. With Colonies, Estate doesn't fit there, and since you buy Copper/Estate/Curse less often than other cards, they're together there.

I assume there's mint, silver, copper, silver in play. Is this the opponent's cards played? I have to assume that's the case, and you've got copper, monument, colony, pawn, and gold in your hand.
Yes Mint etc. are opponent's cards in play, thus the person who took this picture wasn't making people wait.

I assume that avatar in the lower left corner represents you.
Yes.

Is the junk in the bottom right (there's a copper with an eye over it) your discard pile? If so, can we have any inkling as to how many cards are in it? I guess not, but in a real game, there's some indication of how big the stack is.
The trash is in the bottom right.

Above the avatar in the lower left, there's a rectangular box with a cardback and a number twelve. I assume this is your draw deck, and there's 12 cards in it.
Yes.

Why does this box have enough space for you to have another deck stacked up above that?
Discard pile.

Above that rectangle, there's another avatar, which is, I assume, your opponent. Next to that we see a silver, which is, I assume, the top card in his or her discard pile. There's a little tiny card below him. I assume that means he or she has at least one card left in the draw deck.
That's one card in his hand.

Where's the trash (maybe that's the thing on the lower left)?
Lower right.

Actually, how did we get to this game state?
Man I wasn't there, but it's not weird-looking. An opponent played Mint on something, then played some treasures and is considering what to buy. Meanwhile our hero has a hand that includes some stuff that must have looked good at the time.

More important, why can't I see how many cards my opponent has left in his hand?
You can.

What is that 1 in a VP chip thing in the lower left? I guess it's probably some kind of level thing relating to your user information.
It's a VP chip from playing Monument on a previous turn.

Duration cards go to the right of your deck, very small. Pirate Ship / Island / Native Village stuff is all over there to the right of your deck/discard.

Currently you can't actually see the trash - that eye lets you see all of the kingdom cards at once, without having to click on them individually, which you can also do. Being able to see the trash, like every other thing anyone will helpfully point out in that cute outraged way people have, is obv. needed and will obv. be done, obv., and no you are not the first one to think of this, hypothetical helpful outraged person.

When you have a million cards in play, they scrunch up, and that's fine, you can click on one if you really want to see it, but you just don't have to see them, you can see your total number of coins and buys and so on (to the left of cards in play), and you can see that cards are cheaper from Bridge and whatever. Anyway if you desperately need to know and there are a million, you can click on them to blow them up. When you have a million cards in your hand, they scrunch up, and I've never been unable to play my hand but if you try to push it it can be hard to tell some action cards apart without clicking on them, which you can do though.

Other opponents go above the displayed opponent. Opponent duration cards show up somewhere near the avatar, but certain other information like number of Pirate Ship tokens is not currently visible except when it increments. If anyone thinks this information will not become available unless they point it out personally, I am sad for the state of humanity.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:19 pm »
+1

...explanation...

Thanks, Donald!
I hope you understand that I wasn't trying to complain, more just a reaction to everything I saw, stream-of-consciousness style (this explains the irrelevant-to-the-discussion comment on the game-state; looks like 'our hero' got a pair of treasure maps to go off, and used the 4 gold to buy a colony... probably not the best play, but again, irrelevant. Indeed, it's interesting how much you can tell without a log - though I definitely want logs!). Actually, I think it says a lot of good things that you can tell 90% of the stuff in 5-10 minute. The whole thing seems pretty intuitive. And many of the issues I missed, people seemed to figure out after a little while too (the bottom right being trash instead of discard, the extra space above the deck then being for discards, etc.). I'm sure it would be more intuitive actually playing a game, too. So it bodes well, though there's still a lot that obviously needs to be done. My only hope is that they get the major stuff (the biggest thing being all the cards) done before release. But I'd rather them push release back than to release a product below their standards. Anyway, thanks for the information, as always.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2012, 08:00:58 pm »
+2

I hope you understand that I wasn't trying to complain, more just a reaction to everything I saw, stream-of-consciousness style
Yes, I just felt like I couldn't mention anything being missing without trying to fence off complaints about such things.

I forgot the chat log, that is the biggest thing missing there currently. This is mattering as we speak; you can play an exciting online game of Dominion with Donald X. at Origins, but he is just some mysterious card-playing automaton outside of the lobby.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2012, 08:03:46 pm »

I'm outraged that a million card hand is possible! 

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2012, 08:04:47 pm »

I really like how it displays the opponent's actions/buys/coins--something that isotropic doesn't.

One thing I'm curious about--how are the decision cards handled by the interface? i.e., how do I make my 2 choices for Pawn? Since this interface shows the card with all its text, I'm imagining something where the text directly on the card lights up and becomes clickable or something. Something else is fine too, as long it's not like BSW :P
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2012, 08:05:07 pm »

Is it possible to play a single player game or is this only for pvp?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »

Is it possible to play against a computer? If it isn't, is it possible to set the skill level? That would be interesting.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2012, 08:52:28 pm »

I really like how it displays the opponent's actions/buys/coins--something that isotropic doesn't.

Yeah. You really need to consult the log for this.
Also information that is easier to access/see (you either need to bring up info or consult the log):
VP chips, exact number of cards in deck, opponents hand size, duration cards, cards in play (useful for things like peddler). Actually an improvement  ;D

barsooma

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2012, 08:54:47 pm »

Being able to see the trash, like every other thing anyone will helpfully point out in that cute outraged way people have, is obv. needed and will obv. be done, obv., and no you are not the first one to think of this, hypothetical helpful outraged person.

Oh, really, the app is going to be absolutely perfect then? Good to hear!
Seriously why are you this way? If I had any desire before to ever buy another product from you I certainly wouldn't now.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2012, 08:56:41 pm »
+1

One thing I'm curious about--how are the decision cards handled by the interface? i.e., how do I make my 2 choices for Pawn? Since this interface shows the card with all its text, I'm imagining something where the text directly on the card lights up and becomes clickable or something. Something else is fine too, as long it's not like BSW :P
Stuff like Pawn is handled with buttons, four buttons show up to the right of in-play and you mark two. Some stuff works differently; you pick what to trash to Chapel by clicking on the cards or dragging them to the trash, then click a Done button.

There is an AI.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:28 pm »
+9

Being able to see the trash, like every other thing anyone will helpfully point out in that cute outraged way people have, is obv. needed and will obv. be done, obv., and no you are not the first one to think of this, hypothetical helpful outraged person.

Seriously why are you this way? If I had any desire before to ever buy another product from you I certainly wouldn't now.
Sweet, I would like the kind of person you meet in online Dominion to be as friendly as possible.

barsooma

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2012, 08:59:42 pm »

Sweet, I would like the kind of person you meet in online Dominion to be as friendly as possible.
Ok, that was a pretty good comeback... so we know the price will be > 0, will you tell us if it's going to be upfront or monthly fee?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2012, 09:19:31 pm »
+3

Is it possible to play against a computer? If it isn't, is it possible to set the skill level? That would be interesting.

The developers I chatted with said that AIs would be available and suggested that they would be user-creatable as well. They also suggested that quickmatch between players would somehow take level into account; I didn't ask any specific questions about the matchmaking or rankings 'cause I figured that's stuff that's still very likely to change.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2012, 09:23:46 pm »

Quickmatch taking into account level would be perfect. I know there are good matchmaking systems out there.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2012, 09:24:09 pm »
+4

Also - user-creatable AIs? Cool!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 1.921 seconds with 21 queries.