Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!  (Read 94200 times)

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2012, 10:15:27 am »

You totally missed my point. My point is that there are companies that DON'T LET YOU DO THAT.

How can you say where you found things when you didn't find things at all? Do you mean that there are companies that, every time you come up with a new line of code, let you browse the web if someone else already had written a similar line and, if so, credit them? That would be totally ridiculous, and I don't really want to believe it, but ok, ridiculous things exist.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:17:35 am by def »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 10:23:01 am »

I do not believe that there are companies who will not let you write your own code without then finding somewhere which has written the same code before and giving the credit to somebody else.
The point is, whoever it is did not come up with this method of generating random numbers on his own. Seriously? He learned it somewhere. Now, it's a very very basic thing, but he did not like write the random number generator itself. It would be truly idiotic to do this every time, because somebody else has already done it, and man, that's just a big waste of time.
It's not that they won't let you write ANYTHING new, it's just that, oh, this is a common, thing, it's been established, there's an established procedure, and you have to follow that and document it. Because the bureaucrats above you will hammer you if you don't. Probably because they don't understand what you're doing, and so if you can't tell them this stuff, they're scared. It's bad management, of course, to an extent. It's legal teams to another extent. It sucks in all phases.
I have three pretty close family members that, at one level or another, write code for a living. You'd be surprised at what they make you do. Now, some of them, it's worse than others, for sure. It really depends on the company you're working for.

If the guy actually had to look this up, then yeah, that's a major problem, the guy doesn't know what he's doing. Like, from absolutely no programming knowledge to start, working at it maybe 5 hours a week (probably less), you get this stuff down in a couple months. Working full time, I'd expect you'd have it down in the first couple weeks. But does anyone actually think that this guy doesn't know how to do that on his own?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2012, 10:29:19 am »
+1

Still, he is making the website and not the application itself. (Hopefully).

And "web designers" are a joke, really. Real programmers use emacs.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2012, 11:50:23 am »
+4

The image-shuffling script is the work of a graphic designer, not one of the programming team.  It's funny, but don't get too worked up about it.

This. Also, his website says he works for some company that isn't FunSockets, so maybe he was doing this freelance.

Besides, although needing to cite this code would be embarrassing for a dedicated Javascript programmer, it's totally reasonable for someone who doesn't use Javascript much. Many languages would provide a "random integer in a range" routine in the standard library, so it's natural to try to find that first. If your searches turn up this snippet instead and you use it, then it's appropriate to cite it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2012, 07:47:51 pm »
+3

Real programmers use emacs.

I thought real programmers use vi.  ;)

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2012, 09:46:20 pm »
+2

Including jQuery and jQuery Validation just to validate a single email field is probably more troubling than a citation in the Javascript, as is locking down copyright yet allowing directory listing in Apache.  I'll agree with the others, though, and say the citation indicates it's probably a designer and not a programmer.

On the flip side, I can't imagine a designer letting those cards get into his or her work.  Every single designer I know is completely anal about typography.

Putting those things together, my bet is that this was thrown together during a lunch break because the developer/designer had real work to do, and we shouldn't read too much into it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2012, 10:13:58 pm »

Still, he is making the website and not the application itself. (Hopefully).

And "web designers" are a joke, really. Real programmers use emacs.

I use Netbeans.  Web design and programming in one!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2012, 11:37:09 pm »
+2

Real programmers use emacs.

I thought real programmers use vi.  ;)

Obligatory reference:

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

BubbleBoy

• Navigator
  • Did you say Black Market?!
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »
+1

I'm disappointed to see the classic Gold instead of the new one.
...Or, I guess you could just buy a Province.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:28 am »

Today's the start of Origins, yes?  I wonder if anyone who posts on this forum is going and might get a chance to try the program.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:50 pm »

Today's the start of Origins, yes?  I wonder if anyone who posts on this forum is going and might get a chance to try the program.

Dealers' room would only be limited hours today I think--like 2 to 6--and most people are just getting there tonight.  I think tomorrow is the earliest we'll hear anything.

That said, do we know of anyone on the forums going?  Despite my proximity, I was unable to go.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »
+5

Dealers' room would only be limited hours today I think--like 2 to 6--and most people are just getting there tonight.  I think tomorrow is the earliest we'll hear anything.

That said, do we know of anyone on the forums going?  Despite my proximity, I was unable to go.

I will be driving down today. I may not make the dealer's room today, but definitely tomorrow, and will seek out anything I can find and report back to the mothership.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2012, 12:49:23 pm »
+2

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:29 pm »
+2

What's with the Estates being placed on the right, with the money, while all the other victory cards are on the left?

Sorry, it just wouldn't be a post about the official app without a complaint about it! ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2012, 01:01:35 pm »

We have our first screenshot:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1328941/dominion
Impressions: looks decently good, but...
Why are Colony, Province, Duchy on the left, whereas estate is with curse on the right? (not that this is actually a real problem).
I assume there's mint, silver, copper, silver in play. Is this the opponent's cards played? I have to assume that's the case, and you've got copper, monument, colony, pawn, and gold in your hand.
I assume that avatar in the lower left corner represents you.
Is the junk in the bottom right (there's a copper with an eye over it) your discard pile? If so, can we have any inkling as to how many cards are in it? I guess not, but in a real game, there's some indication of how big the stack is.
Above the avatar in the lower left, there's a rectangular box with a cardback and a number twelve. I assume this is your draw deck, and there's 12 cards in it. Why does this box have enough space for you to have another deck stacked up above that?
Above that rectangle, there's another avatar, which is, I assume, your opponent. Next to that we see a silver, which is, I assume, the top card in his or her discard pile. There's a little tiny card below him. I assume that means he or she has at least one card left in the draw deck.
Okay, issues:
Where's the trash (maybe that's the thing on the lower left)?
Actually, how did we get to this game state?
More important, why can't I see how many cards my opponent has left in his hand?
What is that 1 in a VP chip thing in the lower left? I guess it's probably some kind of level thing relating to your user information.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:47 pm »
+4

WW brings up many good points. What really concerns me, though, is how the app is going to handle game states where I have like 20 cards in my hand and another 15 in play. There doesn't seem to be much room with the current layout to deal with huge draw engines.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2012, 01:11:30 pm »

I guess bottom right is the trash (eye to look into it), free space next to draw deck is the discard. 1 in bottom left is either VP chips or levels (I guess VP chips. HE does have a monument). Not really hard to get to this game state. I agree on deck next to avatar being top of opponent's discard. Your opponent played a Mint 2 Silvers and a Copper, he has no more actions, 1 buy and 5 coins.

I don't feel the huge need to have such big "playing area".. but its ok. I am interested of how durations are kept track of. Estate being away from other greens threw me off as well  ;D I hope there is a way to see relative size of opponent's deck, its is important.

Overall I am satisfied, it looks clean, you can see everything and so on.
Edit: but jont's does bring up a good point. I guess cards in play area can be reduced, and hand stacked more together (like when you actually have many cards in hand) but.. we'll see.

Is there any word on what platforms will it work on?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2012, 01:14:23 pm »
+1

Maybe this version is "squished" to fit the ipad screen?  I would guess the Estate is normally on the left, but this game has colonies so it got shifted over.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2012, 01:22:45 pm »

So, it's definitely a home screen web app then, since it has the black translucent status bar.

Looks like they did a pretty good job fitting everything relevant onto the iPad screen. Only thing I'd really question is why the cards in my hand are spread. No reason to carry over that physical limitation into a computer version.

Sad things: no text log, and doesn't look like there's room for an optional point counter. These might be different on a PC version though.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2012, 01:25:12 pm »

Hmm.. maybe there is an option that you cards in hand look the same way they look in supply. That would work.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2012, 01:35:08 pm »

Also, on the more paranoid side of screenshot analysis, this screenshot only has cards from Base (Cellar, Chancellor, Bureaucrat), Intrigue (Trading Post, Pawn), Seaside (Treasure Map, Navigator), and Prosperity (Bishop, Monument, Mint), provided I'm not getting expansions mixed up. Hopefully all expansions are in when they launch.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2012, 01:37:03 pm »

Also, on the more paranoid side of screenshot analysis, this screenshot only has cards from Base (Cellar, Chancellor, Bureaucrat), Intrigue (Trading Post, Pawn), Seaside (Treasure Map, Navigator), and Prosperity (Bishop, Monument, Mint), provided I'm not getting expansions mixed up. Hopefully all expansions are in when they launch.

And the more positive way to look at that, is that you can pick and choose expansions to play with?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2012, 01:39:09 pm »

Sad things: no text log, and doesn't look like there's room for an optional point counter. These might be different on a PC version though.

So it is confirmed there will be PC version?
Windows only or multiplatform?

I really hate smartphones/Apple Products, and while I know I'll be forced one day to get the former, I'd like it to be as late as possible.

And yeah, no Cornucopia/Hinterlands/Alchemy so far, but its still WIP.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:40 pm »
+1

So it is confirmed there will be PC version?
Windows only or multiplatform?

I really hate smartphones/Apple Products, and while I know I'll be forced one day to get the former, I'd like it to be as late as possible.

And yeah, no Cornucopia/Hinterlands/Alchemy so far, but its still WIP.

Yes.  From BGG:
"I asked Funsockets whether it'll be cross platform. Or more specifically whether "Will the iOS app connect to players who are playing at PlayDominion.com?"

The answer is yes."

Seems to imply there's a pc version

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2012, 01:47:20 pm »

Great.  ;D Thanks also.

Now I just need to cross my fingers that they'll use some platform independent technology for PlayDominion.com and not Silverlight/Unity/similar crap.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 2.033 seconds with 22 queries.