Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!  (Read 93989 times)

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 11:26:23 am »
+2

When asking about logs and archives of games this was the answer given:
Great question! It's something that we probably won't have right out the door, but we know that we have enough interest in them that we're seeing where they fit in the plan. So, pretty much I can say not yet, but we'll see what we can do.
 :-\

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 11:59:41 am »
+1

Great question! It's something that we probably won't have right out the door, but we know that we have enough interest in them that we're seeing where they fit in the plan. So, pretty much I can say not yet, but we'll see what we can do.
Oh no... both in that A) that sucks, and B) this thread is about to explode...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »
+1

Well, that's enough for me to not use them.  I hope, but obviously cannot assume, that others are with me on this.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 01:49:26 pm »

Sorry about being off topic, but +1 for your 2,222 post.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 02:11:56 pm »

Well, that's enough for me to not use them.  I hope, but obviously cannot assume, that others are with me on this.

Will you have any other options? When this goes live iso dies, right? Basically they will have a monopoly on online Dominion. It's either play there or only play IRL, right?

Are you saying that no logs means it's not worth playing at all?

Ed

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 02:25:54 pm »
+2

I'm pretty sure someone (with more know how than me) could make a browser extension to create a log and save it to an online database.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 02:30:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure someone (with more know how than me) could make a browser extension to create a log and save it to an online database.

Good idea. This should work unless they go out of their way to make it fail. It might take a lot of time to implement it, though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 02:50:27 pm »
+9

Will you have any other options? When this goes live iso dies, right? Basically they will have a monopoly on online Dominion. It's either play there or only play IRL, right?

Pretty much.

My specific stance is, and for a while has been, this:

• Isotropic was effectively endorsed by RGG, who used it for playtesting.
  • RGG is forcing Iso offline with this new site, and I fully understand the reasons for that.
  • This replacement has no obvious reason not to have all the features of isotropic, given that one was put together by one guy in his spare time, and the other has a team of professionals who, theoretically, have been working full time for an least a couple months.  This is especially true given that the new site is intended to make money.
  • A replacement that does not have the features of isotropic is a significant disservice to a large community.  In fact, while logs may seem minor, they are the bread and butter of this site and forum; the DS blog and much of the discussion here would be impossible or less useful without logs.  Consider:  solo challenges are gone when logs disappear.  Annotated games are gone.  "Great Moments."  "What Did I Do Wrong?"  Any full explanation of a combo.  Half the useful discussion on this forum disappears.
  • While the community is not in a position to demand anything, we are in a position to say "this is not acceptable customer relations."  The only way we can go about this is a boycott.
  • Therefore, until the replacement for isotropic has all the features of isotropic, I intend to boycott not just the online app, but RGG as a whole.  As a single-person boycott is ineffective, I will strongly and loudly suggest that others boycott the site and RGG as well.
TL;DR version:  RGG has lost my business entirely until such time as the new site has all the functions of isotropic.  (They had already lost my business several months ago with the continued information silence.)  I've said for a while I would gladly pay RGG to play on an isotropic clone, but that's not what they're selling.  They're selling an inferior product, and I can spend my time and money elsewhere.  I can play Dominion face-to-face, and I can do it without the last two expansions.

I hope, but do not expect, others will support a boycott.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 02:55:08 pm »

And do their work for them?

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 03:27:16 pm »

Pretty much.

My specific stance is, and for a while has been, this:

• Isotropic was effectively endorsed by RGG, who used it for playtesting.
  • RGG is forcing Iso offline with this new site, and I fully understand the reasons for that.
  • This replacement has no obvious reason not to have all the features of isotropic, given that one was put together by one guy in his spare time, and the other has a team of professionals who, theoretically, have been working full time for an least a couple months.  This is especially true given that the new site is intended to make money.
  • A replacement that does not have the features of isotropic is a significant disservice to a large community.  In fact, while logs may seem minor, they are the bread and butter of this site and forum; the DS blog and much of the discussion here would be impossible or less useful without logs.  Consider:  solo challenges are gone when logs disappear.  Annotated games are gone.  "Great Moments."  "What Did I Do Wrong?"  Any full explanation of a combo.  Half the useful discussion on this forum disappears.
  • While the community is not in a position to demand anything, we are in a position to say "this is not acceptable customer relations."  The only way we can go about this is a boycott.
  • Therefore, until the replacement for isotropic has all the features of isotropic, I intend to boycott not just the online app, but RGG as a whole.  As a single-person boycott is ineffective, I will strongly and loudly suggest that others boycott the site and RGG as well.
TL;DR version:  RGG has lost my business entirely until such time as the new site has all the functions of isotropic.  (They had already lost my business several months ago with the continued information silence.)  I've said for a while I would gladly pay RGG to play on an isotropic clone, but that's not what they're selling.  They're selling an inferior product, and I can spend my time and money elsewhere.  I can play Dominion face-to-face, and I can do it without the last two expansions.

I hope, but do not expect, others will support a boycott.

That's great and all, which is why i +1ed it, but only if things look as bad when things are released. So let me remind everybody that basically all information we have is that
a) the official version is not out yet and
b) it doesn't has logs yet.
I don't want to conclude from that single mail how the final product will look. And I don't want to believe that the final product will have cards with wrong symbols.

Or to put things differently:
Few days ago, everybody complained that we had no information; now we have some information, but everybody is complaining at what the product probably will look hinted by this little information.
Note: "everybody" is an exaggeration.

KMueller

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 03:55:54 pm »

Well, Donald X is known to prowl these forums, so we may have an answer to that soon...
I continue to be their pal, and they continue to want to control the flow of information, and so much for that.

I think it's fair to say this though: Trisha is in fact a woman.

And a very polite one on emails, as well.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 09:28:35 pm »

How about we spam tham that we want the logs?  >:(

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 09:47:23 pm »
+12

I think that would be less influential than a well-reasoned email with the backing of the F.DS community.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 09:58:46 pm »

I think that would be less influential than a well-reasoned email with the backing of the F.DS community.

Like, like, like. (+1, +1, +1?)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 10:12:04 pm »

I have no reason to believe that we hold much, if ANY sway with them. Heck, I have no reason to believe that they know this community exists.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 10:16:25 pm »

It was mentioned before that they do actually read these forums. Or perhaps it was only board game geek. Regardless it was on dougz AMA on reddit. He mentioned that they browse the forums. I have no reason to doubt dougz.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2012, 10:52:19 pm »

That's great and all, which is why i +1ed it, but only if things look as bad when things are released. So let me remind everybody that basically all information we have is that
a) the official version is not out yet and
b) it doesn't has logs yet.
I don't want to conclude from that single mail how the final product will look. And I don't want to believe that the final product will have cards with wrong symbols.

Or to put things differently:
Few days ago, everybody complained that we had no information; now we have some information, but everybody is complaining at what the product probably will look hinted by this little information.
Note: "everybody" is an exaggeration.

Well, you're right that I can't conclude how the product will look based on that email, sure.  But if a software company says "we're not sure if that will be available at rollout," what they mean is "that won't be available at rollout."  Therefore, the initial product won't have logs.

As far as going from no info to very little info, it's a bad sign when the very little info we have is bad news.  It's not as though the little bit of info we got was "here's a list of features that are totally in!"  It was "here's something your community relies on that isn't in yet, and probably won't be at rollout."  At least with no news we could hope they'd do as well as isotropic; now, we know they won't.

I like this idea, but there are a couple of problems with it.  First, the logs really aren't the only thing the community would continue to want.  Second, we would have to get the community to agree on any sort of letter about features, which might be difficult.  Third, such a letter is meaningless unless we're willing to hit them in the pocketbook.  And I see an actual boycott by F.DS as unlikely at best; probably more like wishful thinking on my part.

eigensheep

• Swindler
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2012, 11:38:29 pm »
+4

// Author: Andrew J. Prasetyo Jo

// Credits to:
// http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1527803/generating-random-numbers-in-javascript-in-a-specific-range
function getRandomInt(min, max) {
  return Math.floor(Math.random() * (max - min + 1)) + min;
}

a team of professionals who, theoretically, have been working full time for an least a couple months. 

As a first semester software engineering student, I can confidently say that this is not a team of professionals, this is a work experience kid.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 03:34:39 am »
+1

The image-shuffling script is the work of a graphic designer, not one of the programming team.  It's funny, but don't get too worked up about it.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2012, 08:24:42 am »

// Credits to:
// http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1527803/generating-random-numbers-in-javascript-in-a-specific-range
}

a team of professionals who, theoretically, have been working full time for an least a couple months. 

As a first semester software engineering student, I can confidently say that this is not a team of professionals, this is a work experience kid.
Don't know that you can be so confident without any experience at a company. Some companies make you document EVERYTHING and show where you found it, where the credit is, blah blah blah. Let me tell you, it is annoying for the programmers too, but when they're paying your bills, you go with it...

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2012, 09:33:35 am »
+1

// Credits to:
}

Don't know that you can be so confident without any experience at a company. Some companies make you document EVERYTHING and show where you found it, where the credit is, blah blah blah. Let me tell you, it is annoying for the programmers too, but when they're paying your bills, you go with it...

I think the point is that a good programmer shouldn't need to document where he found this idea, but rather come up with this simple routine by himself.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2012, 09:57:04 am »
+1

Well,

http://andrewprasetyojo.heroku.com/
At the risk of sounding like the Grammar Nazi, the "About" section of his webpage is riddled with poor English and spelling errors.  This may say nothing about his programming skills but it does suggest an inattention to detail, and/or a failure to involve others to mitigate his weaknesses.  I have to chuckle at the irony when a designer's own web page is less than inspiring.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2012, 10:04:53 am »

// Credits to:
}

I think the point is that a good programmer shouldn't need to document where he found this idea, but rather come up with this simple routine by himself.
You totally missed my point. My point is that there are companies that DON'T LET YOU DO THAT.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 10:10:36 am »
+5

I do not believe that there are companies who will not let you write your own code without then finding somewhere which has written the same code before and giving the credit to somebody else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 1.067 seconds with 21 queries.