Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!  (Read 93981 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!
« on: May 25, 2012, 04:54:09 pm »
+1

I can't stop refreshing it - it puts up a new card every time!  -bounces around-

http://playdominion.com/thank_you
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 05:09:58 pm »
+1

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

KMueller

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:26:25 pm »

Cool picture, but they misspelled "Apple" on the top of that weird tablet.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:30:09 pm »

Cool picture, but they misspelled "Apple" on the top of that weird tablet.

Oddly, I don't think that's a tablet anyway.  It's like a weirdly-stretched phone...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:30:23 pm »

Noooo  :-[

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:42:42 pm »

Hmm... the Lookout on the website has a little Base castle in the corner instead of a Seaside anchor...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 05:47:51 pm »

Can't....Stop....Refreshing....
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 05:48:01 pm »

Hmm... the Lookout on the website has a little Base castle in the corner instead of a Seaside anchor...

The directory with the images. Lookout, Masquerade, Pirate Ship all have the wrong expansion icon, too. The text at the bottom of duration cards is a bit messed-up too. Hopefully these aren't final graphics.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

Reading the ToS, I'm a little worried about a couple things. First off logs. Now, I'm going to guess that having logs is going to be fine, and that sharing them everywhere is also good by them, but... man, I'd love for them to make that clear.
More of a concern, though, is videos, which appear pretty clearly prohibited to me. We may see the end pretty soon...

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 06:43:42 pm »

Reading the ToS, I'm a little worried about a couple things. First off logs. Now, I'm going to guess that having logs is going to be fine, and that sharing them everywhere is also good by them, but... man, I'd love for them to make that clear.
More of a concern, though, is videos, which appear pretty clearly prohibited to me. We may see the end pretty soon...

I would be very, very surprised if both:
  • They want to ban gameplay videos for some reason.
  • AND it's actually legally possible to ban gameplay videos.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 06:52:26 pm »
+5

The directory with the images. Lookout, Masquerade, Pirate Ship all have the wrong expansion icon, too. The text at the bottom of duration cards is a bit messed-up too. Hopefully these aren't final graphics.

As a web developer, I find it a little unprofessional that A) They allow directory browsing on a public-facing site, and B) The images are named "card1.png" etc, instead of something descriptive of what the card is.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 06:52:43 pm »

Well, Donald X is known to prowl these forums, so we may have an answer to that soon...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 06:56:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure they can ban me from making videos of their product. Major League Baseball does it. On the other hand, there's a good chance I could get 'express-written consent (never implied oral consent!)' and then be ok, so long as I agreed to not profit off of it. Probably. Hey, theory's a lawyer, he'd know.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 07:07:38 pm »
+2

I'm pretty sure they can ban me from making videos of their product. Major League Baseball does it. On the other hand, there's a good chance I could get 'express-written consent (never implied oral consent!)' and then be ok, so long as I agreed to not profit off of it. Probably. Hey, theory's a lawyer, he'd know.

This would be more like a baseball manufacturer banning people taking videos of themselves playing baseball.

barsooma

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 07:10:29 pm »

As a web developer, I find it a little unprofessional that A) They allow directory browsing on a public-facing site, and B) The images are named "card1.png" etc, instead of something descriptive of what the card is.

Yeah, this looks super professional as well... http://playdominion.com/js/script.js

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 07:12:33 pm »

Yeah, this looks super professional as well... http://playdominion.com/js/script.js

...what's wrong with it?

barsooma

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 07:15:13 pm »
+3

...what's wrong with it?

a. that they would need to reference stack overflow to generate a random number
b. that this kind of stuff is present in public-facing code

barsooma

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 07:17:38 pm »

Pretty sure if this was legal, game companies would have used it against reviewers long ago.
However, while I don't think they can ban you from making movies, they probably can ban your account FOR making movies.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »

Quote from: The Site's ToS
...you may not copy, modify, translate, distribute, transmit, publish, republish, perform, display, post, download, upload, frame, make available, lend, hire, communicate to the public, adapt, or sell the FunSockets Content or any portion thereof.
Now, I'm not sure, but this looks to me like it would stop videos. I mean, post it, anyway. Maybe not record it. But somehow YouTubing the stuff seems like it would be distributing, transmitting, publishing, repubishing, displaying, posting, uploading, making available, something that is a portion of their content. Certainly communicating it to the public.

I especially think that it looks to apply due to:

With the exception of third party materials and user-generated materials as addressed below, all content available through the Service, including without limitation text, photographs, images, graphics, designs, audio, video, games, applications, software, and files ("FunSockets Content") is the proprietary content and property of, and is solely owned by, the Company.
Now clearly, the videos are user-generated, but they're using the site's stuff. So I don't think they'd qualify for this exception. Especially as if you read the pertinent part 'below' where they 'address' it, it seems to just refer to things that you post to their site, not stuff which in any way originates from it.

You may use the Service solely for your personal, noncommercial use.
This is a little bit that way too, but very clearly against any commercial gains of someone. Such as, like, (oh my, I sound like Ms. Teen South Carolina...), monetizing a youtube account these were posted on. I know people DO stuff like this all the time, but I'm very conscious NOT to.

barsooma

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 07:46:06 pm »

...you may not copy, modify, translate, distribute, transmit, publish, republish, perform, display, post, download, upload, frame, make available, lend, hire, communicate to the public, adapt, or sell the FunSockets Content or any portion thereof.
Now, I'm not sure, but this looks to me like it would stop videos. I mean, post it, anyway. Maybe not record it. But somehow YouTubing the stuff seems like it would be distributing, transmitting, publishing, repubishing, displaying, posting, uploading, making available, something that is a portion of their content. Certainly communicating it to the public.

With the exception of third party materials and user-generated materials as addressed below, all content available through the Service, including without limitation text, photographs, images, graphics, designs, audio, video, games, applications, software, and files ("FunSockets Content") is the proprietary content and property of, and is solely owned by, the Company.
Now clearly, the videos are user-generated, but they're using the site's stuff. So I don't think they'd qualify for this exception. Especially as if you read the pertinent part 'below' where they 'address' it, it seems to just refer to things that you post to their site, not stuff which in any way originates from it.

This is a little bit that way too, but very clearly against any commercial gains of someone. Such as, like, (oh my, I sound like Ms. Teen South Carolina...), monetizing a youtube account these were posted on. I know people DO stuff like this all the time, but I'm very conscious NOT to.

Yeah, I agree it most likely would violate the ToS, and they could ban you for that.
However, until the content companies manage to ram some of their bought-and-paid for legislation through, violating the ToS is not against the law and I don't believe posting gameplay videos would violate copyright.

EDIT: of course this is just speculation... the ToS look pretty boilerplate to me, and I don't see what possible reason they would have to want to prevent publishing gameplay videos.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:49:27 pm by barsooma »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49:57 pm »

I think they'd be pretty stupid to take action against you for posting videos, even if it's just to ban your account with them. You'd basically be providing free advertising, making people more interested in their site, and by banning you they'd surely lose the support of some of the most important members of the community. Many video games (StarCraft II comes to mind, but I'm sure there are many others) have tons of commentary on YouTube, which I'm sure they love because it both brings in new people and keeps members more invested. So, I really doubt they'd do anything for posting videos, unless their marketing team is pretty dull.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 09:47:14 pm »
+3

Well, Donald X is known to prowl these forums, so we may have an answer to that soon...
I continue to be their pal, and they continue to want to control the flow of information, and so much for that.

I think it's fair to say this though: Trisha is in fact a woman.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 10:48:56 pm »

It is entirely possible that this is the ToS for the beta, rather than the ToS for the site overall.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 11:46:21 pm »

-bookmarks page-
This is so stupid…
…yet so addicting!

Has anyone gotten PhilStone? What are some other rare ones?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 02:53:52 am »

-bookmarks page-
This is so stupid…
…yet so addicting!

Has anyone gotten PhilStone? What are some other rare ones?
I got Phil Stone just a minute ago.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.