Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How lucky did I get?  (Read 1208 times)

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
How lucky did I get?
« on: May 25, 2012, 03:55:41 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/25/game-20120525-123723-9e184b6b.html

Played this game with Marin.  We both dipped into the Black Market.  I got Tournament (which is of course one of the best cards to get from the Black Market for obvious reasons), Governor, and Apprentice.  He got Forge and Crossroads. 

Hamlet was the only other village in the BM deck.  The other key action cards in the regular supply were Wharf, Goons, Stables, Cartographer.

Given what we drew, it forced different strategies. The +actions from Crossroads were huge.  It meant he could trash down and produced an engine that could draw most of his deck most turns - but which was short on cash.  My only +actions were from Trusty Steed.  That, the lack of trashing, and the desire to get Provinces to start picking up prizes, meant I started investing in Provinces.

I was hoping to regularly play Governor and then force a discard with Followers or Goons.  But it quickly became clear to me that the dearth of actions meant I really had limited options.  If I wanted to use the Wharves to prevent routine dead hands, I couldn't afford to spend other actions very often.

Definite mistakes I made: 1) not getting Bank earlier, to bump up my purchasing power.  2) not taking Hamlet when I drew it from the BM deck on turn 12.  I didn't even realize I had missed it until I went back to look at the log.  In retrospect, that's a huge error and would have really secured things for me.  Problem of being on autopilot.

Possible mistakes I made: 1) not taking Followers in my first couple prizes.  Marin was convinced that this was a big error, but I'm not really sure.  The lack of actions meant I wouldn't be able to play it easily.  And, since he was regularly drawing everything, he could probably overcome the hand-size reduction and then trash the Curse all on the next turn.  Meanwhile, playing Followers would often mean NOT playing Wharf, which was more important for me, I think.  Or Goons, which is probably better than Followers - since it gives VPs and the Estates were more likely to clog me up than the Curses were him.  2) Not using Apprentice more aggressively earlier?  Should I have killed a Province or two in the effort to end the game quicker?  I'm not really sure WHERE I would have done this, though.  I was generally oscillating between complete dead hands and drawing most of my deck.

Marin felt like he played as well as he possibly could.  Do people agree?  I thought he did a great job of putting things together given his own action limitations, but are there places he could have maximized more?  It seemed to me like there were a few places where he used Forge rather than playing his second Goons that might have been wrong.  Turn 17 in particular?  I'm not sure, but it seems like maybe getting more VPs there is the key thing - and it might set him up to Forge/buy the last few Provinces on the next turn. 

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: How lucky did I get?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:10:50 pm »

I actually think that your biggest mistake is not picking up the hamlet when you had the chance (turn 12). You are bleeding for actions here, and I'm not totally sure that you really need to scramble up to the other stuff so fast. No, he didn't play the best that he could. It is EXTREMELY rare to actually play perfectly in a game. Did he play close to it? Well, I'm certainly not in love with his turn 11. I also don't know why he's so darn afraid of provinces, but seeing what your exact scores were will help a LOT with some of this endgame-type stuff. I don't know, I feel he played pretty well, but definitely not perfect. On the other hand, it's a very complicated board that I'm quite sure I'm not going to play perfectly either.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
Re: How lucky did I get?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:13:13 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/30/game-20120530-135641-3be870ed.html

Here's another one.

I'm playing First, who on turn 5 plays a Royal Seal and top-decks Border Village-Margrave, and then hits me with the handsize-reducer/Masquerade combo.  At this point, I decide that I'm basically dead in the water.  By turn 10, he's bought two Provinces, and is playing his full attack every turn, buying more Golds, more Border Villages, etc. 

I almost resign at that point but decide to stick it out.  I actually passed him my Potion at one point because everything else was a key engine part and I thought he wouldn't want it. And I was right - he sent it right back.  I think we both were just biding time at that point.

And then, I run into a vein of incredibly good luck.  His villages stop matching up with his drawing cards, he realizes he's overbought money when he should have been continuing to improve his engine to make it fire every turn.  And I realize that Scrying Pools are uniquely well suited to recovering from his attack.  Even if he hits with the Margrave/Masq combo, I can keep two cards in hand that have a very good chance of drawing many more and save one dead spot to pass back and forth.  Whereas his BV/Margrave engine depends on multiple cards aligning.  When you're only really playing with two-card hands, that's hard to make work.

Suddenly I realize that I'm drawing my whole deck every turn while he isn't.

Now, it took some seriously bad luck for his cards to align so poorly.  But how bad?  And while he acknowledged that it was dumb to buy so many Golds, it probably shouldn't have mattered, right?  Or is Scrying Pool really that powerful?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.968 seconds with 20 queries.