Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alternate First Game Kingdom  (Read 2597 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Alternate First Game Kingdom
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:16:57 am »
+2

A few months back, I asked how to spice up the First Game kingdom recommended by the Base game, as I teach Dominion to quite a few people: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1022.0

I think I finally have a good board that can effectively introduce the game to new players, utilizing Intrigue and Seaside (and maybe Prosperity/Hinterlands):

Courtyard - replaces Cellar and Smithy - easy enough to understand - take 3 cards, put 1 back!

Moat/Lighthouse - do you want to explain Reactions, or Durations?  your choice

Warehouse - replaces Cellar - while its existence does NOT make Cellar worse :P  it is a little easier to explain

Smugglers - repalces Workshop - a little more useful than Workshop, and about the same level of complexity

Village/Worker's Village - Village really is as simple as it gets for that kind of card, but if you really want to ditch every card in the First Game kingdom, Worker's Village is a simple step up, and adds a nice +Buy to this kingdom

Woodcutter/Conspirator/Nomad Camp - are you cool with keeping Woodcutter?  If not, Conspirator requires a little explanation (but not as much as Remodel, Moat, or Mine), or, if you have Hinterlands, Nomad Camp can introduce players to the when-gain mechanic

Cutpurse - replaces Militia - a littler easier to explain - most newbs I teach think Militia means to discard 3 cards

Salvager - replaces Remodel - it works how most newbs seem to want to think Remodel works, and is a little less confusing to explain

Bazaar - replaces Market and Village (to an extent) - nice vanilla card

Trading Post - as mentioned by Jorbles in the original thread, this makes the trash-for-benefit concept a lot clearer than Remodel or Mine
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

BJ Penn

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate First Game Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:56:41 pm »
+1

I too take it upon myself to share Dominion with as many people who I think would like it as possible. Since the game doesn't take very long to play, and almost everyone wants to play several times I sort of introduce the game's simpler concepts over the coarse of 3 games.

Game 1: Mostly random Base cards. Never with Witch or Chapel, always with Militia and Moat. I try to encourage buying currency, because people tend to see all these neat actions cards and end up with a pile of terminal actions and 7 coppers if I just let them play.

Game 2: Introduce Curses. Sea Hag/Witch/Young Witch whatever. I always make sure some reaction card or decent trasher is there to help them along. Depending on how much they seem to be "getting it" I may choose to introduce some duration or choice cards.

Game 3: Chapel game. After playing nice the first two games and trying my best to let them win I blow their doors off with a simple Chapel -> BM strategy. It may sound sinister, but it teaches them a valuable lesson and really helps them graduate from noob to beginner.

If they want to keep going I'll start to slowly introduce some more complex cards, and perhaps try to demonstrate the value of a solid engine if they get all "If you just buy silver, then gold, then provinces you win" on me.

I think the most important thing is to bring people along slowly and give them tips along the way without being overbearing. The best way to learn dominion is to play it over and over again.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:25:07 am »

About which game should you introduce Potions? Durations? Somebody make a game-by-game thingy like BJ Penn except longer and one that begins easier, and slowly gets more complex and that will cover every card at least once. And please list all kingdom cards. I will start:
Game 1:
Remodel, Adventurer, Militia, Moat, Chancellor, Market, Laboratory, Smithy, Festival, Woodcutter, Village.
You are a noob. You have just been introduced to a game called "Dominion" that your friend says is so fun. OK, lets give it a try.
Like BJ Penn, I think showing them that 500 terminals is not a good thing. This will maximize skill im BM, an minimize the "Village Idiot".This is the reason I have left out Mine. Mine would give them an excuse to just recycle into better currency instead of buying it, and the fact that buying money is a good thing needs to be inforced! So if anyone writes gae two, I recommend avoiding Mine and maaaayyybe Bureaucrat and money gainers.
Other than that, I think we should keep the first kingdom fairly simple, less words more +this +that. Hence Festival, Lab, Market, Smithy, Woodcutter, Village.

Any thoughts?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:38:05 am »

About which game should you introduce Potions? Durations? Somebody make a game-by-game thingy like BJ Penn except longer and one that begins easier, and slowly gets more complex and that will cover every card at least once. And please list all kingdom cards. I will start:
Game 1:
Remodel, Adventurer, Militia, Moat, Chancellor, Market, Laboratory, Smithy, Festival, Woodcutter, Village.
You are a noob. You have just been introduced to a game called "Dominion" that your friend says is so fun. OK, lets give it a try.
Like BJ Penn, I think showing them that 500 terminals is not a good thing. This will maximize skill im BM, an minimize the "Village Idiot".This is the reason I have left out Mine. Mine would give them an excuse to just recycle into better currency instead of buying it, and the fact that buying money is a good thing needs to be inforced! So if anyone writes gae two, I recommend avoiding Mine and maaaayyybe Bureaucrat and money gainers.
Other than that, I think we should keep the first kingdom fairly simple, less words more +this +that. Hence Festival, Lab, Market, Smithy, Woodcutter, Village.

Any thoughts?

I'd say after a few games (within a reasonable period of time), new players should be ready for anything thrown at them.  Introduce Potions and Durations whenever you feel like it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 02:03:45 am »

Game 3: Chapel game. After playing nice the first two games and trying my best to let them win I blow their doors off with a simple Chapel -> BM strategy. It may sound sinister, but it teaches them a valuable lesson and really helps them graduate from noob to beginner.

But regular BM beats Chapel-BM, doesn't it?  Or at the very least, Chapel is far from the best X for BM+X.

randomdragoon

• Salvager
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 03:22:24 am »

But regular BM beats Chapel-BM, doesn't it?  Or at the very least, Chapel is far from the best X for BM+X.

Nah, chapel-BM beats just plain ol' BM, but not by that much. The main issue is that most players with only two games under their belt can't beat BM anyway.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 03:50:32 am »

I'd say after a few games (within a reasonable period of time), new players should be ready for anything thrown at them.  Introduce Potions and Durations whenever you feel like it.

Depends on the player.  I wouldn't feel comfortable using Durations or Potions with players who have not mastered basic gameplay things like:
- Keeping discard and draw decks separate
- Playing cards to the in-play area rather than directly to the discard
- Understanding the difference between trashing and discarding
- Keeping the action and buy phases separate (in particular, not forgetting that if they use something like Workshop they can still buy something)
- Remembering to discard their hand and draw 5 cards during cleanup

Some players will have this all down by the end of the first game, others may take much longer.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.