Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [COMPLETE] Geronimoo's challenges - Digger's Delight  (Read 5605 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
[COMPLETE] Geronimoo's challenges - Digger's Delight
« on: May 25, 2012, 05:29:53 am »

I can read your mind! Horse shit? No, really! Here, let me prove it (you may look under the black square)

Tunnel

Ok, I'm scanning your brain now....

scanning

hmmmm, donuts

scanning

The words you're thinking about are Horse Traders. Amazing no?

Tunnel is often the first card in a kingdom that grabs your attention. You can't help yourself but look for ways to discard it... This challenge is a tunneler's dream come true!!

Challenge - End the game in the fewest number of turns. The Gold and Tunnel piles need to be empty (choose the third pile yourself). Tiebreaker = most points. If you want to open $5/$2 you're allowed to skip turns until you have it. Use the following kingdom:

Tunnel,Secret Chamber,Tactician,Apprentice,Warehouse,Young Witch,*Hamlet,Watchtower,Inn,Oasis,Salvager,!Colony

One entry with the isotropic log (as a personal message) only per person, deadline friday 1/6.

(there's a simulation challenge as well)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:31:49 am by Geronimoo »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Geronimoo's challenges - Digger's Delight
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:11:20 am »

That's not what I was thinking, no.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:16:20 am »

That's not what I was thinking, no.
I did not think of anything. When I saw the title, however, I immediately guessed Tunnel.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:28:53 am »

Perhaps I'm just dense this morning and not getting the joke, but if Tunnel makes people think of Horse Traders, and this challenge is a Tunneler's dream come true, why isn't Horse Traders in the kingdom?

Also, given that this is a solo challenge, isn't Warehouse strictly better than Young Witch?
EDIT:  Actually never mind this comment, I can see a counterexample.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:31:27 am by Voltgloss »

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 09:34:26 am »
+1

Perhaps I'm just dense this morning and not getting the joke, but if Tunnel makes people think of Horse Traders, and this challenge is a Tunneler's dream come true, why isn't Horse Traders in the kingdom?

Also, given that this is a solo challenge, isn't Warehouse strictly better than Young Witch?
It's just an intro... try not to think too much of it...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:15 am »
+1

I know we're not supposed to post logs here, but this isn't at all a submission, as you'll see:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/25/game-20120525-070547-02421f5e.html

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:57:46 pm »

I know we're not supposed to post logs here, but this isn't at all a submission, as you'll see:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/25/game-20120525-070547-02421f5e.html
This is from my attempt at a previous challenge: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/05/game-20120505-060457-efb439f3.html

45 turns until 5/2!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:28:19 am »

1. You might have 2 cards left in draw pile and don't want to trigger a reshuffle
2. You might have only 1 or 2 cards left in deck; either one draws the final cards but Warehouse makes you discard more

Any others?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:28 am »

No Golem? :(
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:30:42 am »

Results!!

When I designed this kingdom I was sure the winner would have Apprentice in his deck. But the other contents were unclear to me. I had good results with a double Tactician deck that used Apprentice for extra drawing and Salvagers for money. There was one such entry but it wasn't good enough. A Watchtower centered strategy with lots of discarding effects and Salvagers wasn't used by anyone although it looked promising and fun.

In third place we find GigaKnight ending the game on Golds, Tunnels and Apprentices in 13 turns scoring 24 points. He opens Warehouse/Tunnel, gets a Salvager, then mostly Apprentices, more Tunnels and a few Warehouses and Hamlets. He generates a bunch of money in the final turns, but doesn't seem to have the necessary buys to make the best use of all that cash.

In second place we find Obi Wan Bonogi ending the game on Golds, Tunnels and Hamlets in 13 turns scoring 28 points. He opens Apprentice/Hamlet, gets a Watchtower which he uses cleverly to put useful cards on top, draw a lot of cards after Warehouse/Hamlet discards or surprisingly trash Golds from discarded Tunnels! All those Tunneled Golds create a risk to stall with a bunch of $ in hand but no +buys. Pretty, pretty clever, Obi Wan! The Watchtower Gold trashing means he needs to buy less Apprentices and can spend his precious buys on Tunnels and Hamlets.

And the winner is dbc with 13 turns emptying the Golds, Tunnels and Apprentices scoring 53 points!!! He opens Apprentice/Hamlet. Gets a Tunnel. Then gets more of those 3. No Warehousing, no Watchtowering or Salvaging. Very simple and elegant! The Hamlet proves to be the MVP here with the +buys it provides. Apprentice is obviously key as well to draw massive amounts of cards. The huge $ influx from the Golds and +buys from Hamlets in the final turn allow him to score almost double VP of second place. Well done and Congrats!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPLETE] Geronimoo's challenges - Digger's Delight
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 02:08:55 pm »

aw, I had the same strategy as dbc but didn't know VP was a tiebreaker.  ( I expected someone to manage 12 turns anyway )

I probably would not have scored that many though.

Good job!  I know from playing the strategy it is tricky to execute perfectly

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 04:41:56 pm »

So I stayed up until 4 AM trying to get 12 turns.  I tried again a few times the next day but, by that time, I was so burnt out I just submitted the last 13-turn run I had kept.

You guys let me down by not showing me how to get 12 turns. ;) j/k

But seriously, how many others felt that 12 was right there?  Either I had barely too few buys or barely too little cash, but every time I was kicking myself for not balancing buys or trashes properly on the previous turns (probably because I needed sleep).  I knew it would only take one more good try... and then it was 4.

dbc

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 05:39:46 pm »
+1

But seriously, how many others felt that 12 was right there?  Either I had barely too few buys or barely too little cash, but every time I was kicking myself for not balancing buys or trashes properly on the previous turns (probably because I needed sleep).  I knew it would only take one more good try... and then it was 4.

I thought that 12 turns would win as well, but with my strategy it seemed impossible to get all of the golds in 12 turns.  I became convinced I needed to use another card to do it but I couldn't figure anything out.

As for my strategy, I ended up not using any warehouses because I liked the idea discarding the tunnels only so that my discard contained only the minumum number of non tunnel cards.  This way I could apprentice and hopefully draw the tunnels again to discard them more than once in the same turn.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 07:02:27 pm »

I thought that 12 turns would win as well, but with my strategy it seemed impossible to get all of the golds in 12 turns.  I became convinced I needed to use another card to do it but I couldn't figure anything out.

As for my strategy, I ended up not using any warehouses because I liked the idea discarding the tunnels only so that my discard contained only the minumum number of non tunnel cards.  This way I could apprentice and hopefully draw the tunnels again to discard them more than once in the same turn.

I didn't have much trouble running the Golds.  You can get a LOT of Golds very quickly if you draw your deck, play a Warehouse on 3 Tunnels, Apprentice a Gold to draw all 6, and repeat.  I think one run got me 12 or 15 Golds in a single turn.  The problem for me was getting enough Warehouses to do that and getting enough buys and money to run out Tunnels and Hamlets.

You don't see it in my final submission but my 12-turn attempts revolved around Watchtower (as did Obi Wan Bonogi's) to 1) Set up the next turn with Hamlets / Apprentices and 2) keep the number of Golds down so that I could actually draw my whole deck without exhausting Apprentices.

Gah, this is so tantilizingly close I want to go back and try again...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 20 queries.