Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Catacomb (Reaction idea)  (Read 2747 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Catacomb (Reaction idea)
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:26:22 am »

$5 Catacomb - Action-Reaction

+1 Card, +1 Action

Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded.

----

When you discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may reveal it and set it aside.  In your next Buy phase, +$2 and move this to your discard pile.

==============================

The reaction is the main idea here.  It's something that combos nicely with cards that discard, e.g. Warehouse, Cellar, Secret Chamber, vault.  It makes double-Tactician much easier.  It also counters discard attacks.  Any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure about the main portion of the card.  The above is an improved Cellar, much like Vault is an improved Secret Chamber.  It means that it can trigger itself.  Other options including turning it into a Victory-Reaction like Tunnel or making it into another Silver-with-Bonus.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Catacomb (Reaction idea)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:59:27 am »

I almost feel like +$1 would be more appropriate because the bonuses parallel that of Market. The sifting action in itself is actually pretty strong because it doesn't reduce handsize, which means that you can fish for cards with impunity.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:14:28 am »

I almost feel like +$1 would be more appropriate because the bonuses parallel that of Market. The sifting action in itself is actually pretty strong because it doesn't reduce handsize, which means that you can fish for cards with impunity.

+$1 in the VP and Treasure alternatives as well?  I can see dropping it to $1 in the Cellar-esque action, since it self-synergizes so well (but I'm not sure how it compares to Minion here... in both cases you need them to collide to get money out of them, hm).

In the VP case, I think 2VP and $2 on discard would be fine (cost at $4, maybe even $3 -- it would be like Tunnel except with virtual $2 now instead of gaining a Gold). 

Or the treasure -- $5 cost for a Silver that counters discard attacks and combos with discarding cards.  I think that could still give $2 on discard without issue.

It's just the self-synergy that might be a bit too powerful.  What if the action dropped the +1 Card, so it really was a Cellar with a reaction?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:22:12 am »

+$1 in the VP and Treasure alternatives as well?  I can see dropping it to $1 in the Cellar-esque action, since it self-synergizes so well (but I'm not sure how it compares to Minion here... in both cases you need them to collide to get money out of them, hm).

I didn't even see that part of your post, so I was talking about only the Action-Reaction as it is given :P

The difference between this and Minion is that it's much easier to integrate this card into other sorts of engines that use other cards. Minion does that adequately sometimes, but engines that benefit from having a large handsize (HoP is one that comes to mind) don't really work with Minions, whereas they're not so much a big deal here.

Part of the issue that I'm seeing here is that if the action part is strong enough that it outclasses the reaction part, then that's a problem... I may be overestimating the utility of a Cellar that doesn't decrease handsize, though, but +$1 seems too weak and +$2 seems too strong.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 07:21:28 am »

The reaction is the main idea here.  It's something that combos nicely with cards that discard, e.g. Warehouse, Cellar, Secret Chamber, vault.  It makes double-Tactician much easier.  It also counters discard attacks.  Any thoughts on this?
If I'm reading this right, if Catacomb is the only other card in your hand when you play Tactician and you reveal Catacomb, you won't actually discard it so that Tactician won't be triggered.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »
+2

If I'm reading this right, if Catacomb is the only other card in your hand when you play Tactician and you reveal Catacomb, you won't actually discard it so that Tactician won't be triggered.
You're not reading it right. It's a "when you discard this" reaction, not a "when you would discard this" one.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:20:04 pm »

I didn't even see that part of your post, so I was talking about only the Action-Reaction as it is given :P

The difference between this and Minion is that it's much easier to integrate this card into other sorts of engines that use other cards. Minion does that adequately sometimes, but engines that benefit from having a large handsize (HoP is one that comes to mind) don't really work with Minions, whereas they're not so much a big deal here.

Part of the issue that I'm seeing here is that if the action part is strong enough that it outclasses the reaction part, then that's a problem... I may be overestimating the utility of a Cellar that doesn't decrease handsize, though, but +$1 seems too weak and +$2 seems too strong.

Good points on Minion.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the Cellar thing either.  Would that buff make it better than Warehouse?  I think I'd still prefer Warehouse most of the time, because you draw before you discard.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.