Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Exception to the rule  (Read 2502 times)

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Exception to the rule
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:39:02 am »

Usually tradering a silver into a silver is pointless. When isn't it? There is one obvious solution and one less obvious one, that I can think of.
(I think this puzzle hasn't been done before, with a quick search)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Exception to the rule
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:44:24 am »

If you've Ironworksed that Silver and for some reason you don't want the $1, this works. Sub question: When would you Ironworks a Silver and not want the $1. The answer to this question is an answer to the original question.

Edit (wow, nearly forgot you could edit posts): If you've played a "gain Silver on your deck" card (read: Bureaucrat) and don't want the Silver on your deck.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:50:37 am »

Well... I think this works, but it is a bit dubious.

Start out with an extra action, Trading Post, Trader, Silver, Copper, Copper, Menagerie. You can play Trading Post to Trash the two Coppers, but you don't want to gain the Silver in hand so that your Menagerie will be activated.  Revealing Trader disrupts the gain in hand ability of Trading Post.

I thought of TINAS's first answer too, but didn't feel like trying to answer the sub-question.  Since you can always not spend you extra money, I am skeptical that there is actually a valid answer to that one.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:05:20 am »

Well... I think this works, but it is a bit dubious.

Start out with an extra action, Trading Post, Trader, Silver, Copper, Copper, Menagerie. You can play Trading Post to Trash the two Coppers, but you don't want to gain the Silver in hand so that your Menagerie will be activated.  Revealing Trader disrupts the gain in hand ability of Trading Post.

You can generalize this to a few more situations: you did something to gain a Silver in hand but would rather not have it in hand.

In your example this involved Trading Post and Menagerie.  You could also gain Silver in hand with Mine or Explorer.  You might not want the Silver in hand if you have another action and a draw-to-X card (Library, Watchtower, JoaT), if you expect you can draw something better.

jimjam

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:23:19 am »

Ah, I forgot about all those. The one I'm thinking of has a very trivial effect, involving a standard "gain Silver into the discard".

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 06:28:54 am »

If you've Ironworksed that Silver and for some reason you don't want the $1, this works. Sub question: When would you Ironworks a Silver and not want the $1. The answer to this question is an answer to the original question.

You have just enough money in hand (including a Contraband) to buy a card costing m with it. +$1 from Ironworks might make your opponent to ban that card instead of a card costing less, and you don't want that.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:55:07 pm »
+8

Here's a solution that has nothing to do with trying to avoid gaining Silver in hand.

You are ahead on VP, but just barely.  The Noble Brigand pile has 1 left, the Silver pile has 1 left, and a third pile is empty.  You draw Trader-Silver-Silver-green-green; if you trash either green with Trader you will fall behind on VP.  So you buy the last Noble Brigand; opponent turns up two Silvers.  Instead of just gaining a trashed Silver, you reveal Trader.  Now you gain the last Silver from the supply; three-piling and winning the game.

Edited from my original post, which involved playing Thief or NB with Trader in hand.  I forgot you could just trash the Thief/NB with Trader and run out the Silver pile that way.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:10:51 pm by Voltgloss »

jimjam

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 03:46:51 pm »

Yep, tradering a silver from Thief or NB trashes a silver
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.