Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Noble Brigand Grabbing Silver instead of Gold  (Read 15236 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Noble Brigand Grabbing Silver instead of Gold
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:34 pm »

You can draw the silver later in the turn and use it as a different card to advance your horns of plenty.
You can play a harvest and know that the silver will be drawn for +1 coin.
You know that your opponent's deck + discard consists of two silvers and a gold, so removing a silver will improve the tributes you can play later in the turn.
You know that your opponent's deck + discard consists of a silver and two gold, so removing a silver will reduce the tributes your other opponent can play in their turn.
There are no gold cards left in the supply and the gold will be the only card in the opponent's deck+discard, so your swindler can trash the gold with no replacement.
You have foolishly played a golem to draw a noble brigand and masquerade in a situation where the stolen treasure will be drawn by the masquerade and become your worst card in hand, passed to your opponent.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 08:55:48 pm »

Navigator is misunderstood! It's a decent opener, I swear!

I should be cross-posting this in the over-/under-rated thread, but meh, I'm feeling lazy.

I mean, early game acceleration is nice and it is more helpful midgame than, say, Chancellor because knowing the next hand specifically is often more crucial (and informative) than knowing the general deck contents. (OK, that last sentence is not really true, but work with me.)

I'm not saying it is a must-buy, but that I have used it with an HP stack with nice results.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »

I should be cross-posting this in the over-/under-rated thread, but meh, I'm feeling lazy.

I mean, early game acceleration is nice and it is more helpful midgame than, say, Chancellor because knowing the next hand specifically is often more crucial (and informative) than knowing the general deck contents. (OK, that last sentence is not really true, but work with me.)

I'm not saying it is a must-buy, but that I have used it with an HP stack with nice results.
But, but, but... it triggers reshuffles! This is my point about it with HP
In general, it might be underrated, but it's also not good.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 09:29:57 pm »

So is Navigator a power 4$ or not?

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:53 pm »

I'm not saying it's great, it just seems to have been taking a beating on the forums lately. It definitely has its moments, and probably would have a few more of said moments if people used it correctly.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 11:32:36 pm »

I'd believe Navigator was a power 4 if WW said it was :(

I wanted to say "don't tap on the aquarium", but I realized I was uncertain as to the inhabitant of the tank being tapped on.  Well played sir!

Or maybe its just the second bourbon kicking in.

(light bulb moment: [bourbon] + [872 games on Isotropic] = Level 5 :o

:-\ Free Dominion just got more expensive, cause I'm gonna need a LOT more bourbon.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2012, 12:01:07 am »

Wow, I didn't read most of that, but I played HP/NB here:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120513-174718-b0116b29.html

There were a number of things that probably made it a bad choice in this game, including my opponent buying Cache which is immune to the NB.  I don't know what my opponent was doing in general though, so I still won.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 12:03:45 am »

Wow, I didn't read most of that, but I played HP/NB here:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120513-174718-b0116b29.html

There were a number of things that probably made it a bad choice in this game, including my opponent buying Cache which is immune to the NB.  I don't know what my opponent was doing in general though, so I still won.

On that board, maybe just grab a Cache yourself? :)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 01:01:54 am »

Yeah, there are probably a lot of better options than what I did.  HP+Cache seems like it would work as well as a terminal $2, but I was thinking that playing NB every turn would hurt his economy.  His deck was so odd that the attack didn't hit a single time.  Fortunately it was also so odd that he wasn't able to buy enough VP.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 01:42:34 am »

I think of Navigator as the Merchant Ship of opening terminals. It's unexciting but decent, maybe the 20th best or something. But that ends up not meaning a whole lot, because there's usually something better available -- things that trash or attack or draw cards or gain cards, depending on your needs.

So if you ignore it, you're not missing anything most of the time, but sometimes you are. There are times when you need a terminal silver and it's the only one. There are times when among all the terminal Silvers, it has the best added bonus (e.g. a lot of times the extra cycling is better than trashing a Copper with Moneylender -- if you want to play some power cards more often, removing one Copper per shuffle doesn't help as much as skipping 5 cards per shuffle). There are even times when the ability to sort the cards you put back can make a difference.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 01:45:16 am »

I'd believe Navigator was a power 4 if WW said it was :(

I wonder what WW is going to do for April Fool's next year...

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:38 pm »

You have already ended the game this turn with gov gold -> province so there are no more provinces. A silver, if drawn and remodeled can become a duchy, a gold cannot.

This doesn't work as stated (you can downgrade with Remodel), but here is a variant which does.

You plan to draw the card and then play Upgrade (or Remake) as the game ends.  Silver can be upgraded to Silk Road, Gardens, or Island; gold cannot be upgraded to anything which gives VP's.

Example: Village, Gold, Noble Brigand, Watchtower, Remake.  Play Village drawing Pearl Diver.  Play Noble Brigand stealing Silver and top-decking it.  Play Pearl Diver drawing Silver.  Remake Watchtower and Silver into two Silk Roads and buy a third Silk Road to end the game on piles.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 02:00:45 am »

You have already ended the game this turn with gov gold -> province so there are no more provinces. A silver, if drawn and remodeled can become a duchy, a gold cannot.

This doesn't work as stated (you can downgrade with Remodel), but here is a variant which does.

You plan to draw the card and then play Upgrade (or Remake) as the game ends.  Silver can be upgraded to Silk Road, Gardens, or Island; gold cannot be upgraded to anything which gives VP's.

Example: Village, Gold, Noble Brigand, Watchtower, Remake.  Play Village drawing Pearl Diver.  Play Noble Brigand stealing Silver and top-decking it.  Play Pearl Diver drawing Silver.  Remake Watchtower and Silver into two Silk Roads and buy a third Silk Road to end the game on piles.

You are remodelling with Governor, which requires exactly $2 higher in cost.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2013, 01:04:10 am »
+3

(I know I am totally necroing exactly a year in the future, but:)

FEODUM!   ;D
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 07:06:30 pm »

Speaking of, Forager says Hi. Although in this case the best move may be to gain nothing at all.

3. NB trashes the Silver or Gold before you actually gain it.  Maybe there will be some funky interaction with one of the new "cares about the trash" cards where you'd rather have the Silver go into the trash, even if only briefly.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:09:20 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 07:07:47 pm »

Also Forager says Hi.

3. NB trashes the Silver or Gold before you actually gain it.  Maybe there will be some funky interaction with one of the new "cares about the trash" cards where you'd rather have the Silver go into the trash, even if only briefly.

Unfortunately, that doesn't apply to my quote because the Silver doesn't stay in the trash.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 07:11:25 pm »

Oh yeah I didn't really think that through. I was actually thinking that NB trashes both cards but only lets you gain one, so the real point was to leave the Gold in the trash.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »
+6

Oh yeah I didn't really think that through. I was actually thinking that NB trashes both cards but only lets you gain one, so the real point was to leave the Gold in the trash.

Well, there is actually a way to make it work, in yet another funky edge case.

There is no Silver in the trash yet, but there is a Gold.  You want Silver in the trash to boost Forager.
NB reveals both Silver and Gold.  You choose to trash their Silver.
Now you would gain the Silver from the trash... but you reveal Trader!  You gain a Silver from the Supply instead.
The trashed Silver stays trashed and Forager is now boosted.
:)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2013, 09:01:17 pm »

Well, there is actually a way to make it work, in yet another funky edge case.

There is no Silver in the trash yet, but there is a Gold.  You want Silver in the trash to boost Forager.
NB reveals both Silver and Gold.  You choose to trash their Silver.
Now you would gain the Silver from the trash... but you reveal Trader!  You gain a Silver from the Supply instead.
The trashed Silver stays trashed and Forager is now boosted.
:)

Similarly, instead of trader you could have watchtower, trashing the silver (there is already gold in the trash and you have no way to draw the gold this turn if you topdeck it, and the extra +$1 from forager lets you end the game).

Edit: spoiler tags
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:23:35 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 09:19:18 pm »

You have 3 cards on top of your deck, a cantrip, a watchtower, an Apprentice, and maybe some other cards in hand.  For some reason you really want those three cards, but don't want to shuffle (left up to the reader).  You top deck the silver, draw it with the cantrip, then trash the silver with the apprentice.

It's your *opponents* only silver and he needs it for menagerie, etc.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »

You want to Trader that trashed Silver to power up your Foragers, for example. (Somebody allready remodeled a Gold)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.