Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60  All

Author Topic: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars (GAME OVER, TOWN WINS)  (Read 152812 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars (GAME OVER, TOWN WINS)
« Reply #1425 on: June 20, 2012, 01:11:27 pm »

Here is the Dead Townie society quicktopic: http://www.quicktopic.com/47/H/Enkj7w86yLpCq
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:08 pm »

Mafia V will begin tonight.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars Day 6
« Reply #1427 on: June 20, 2012, 01:19:41 pm »

I think one of the mafia should have role claimed doctor.  Probably yuma, as anyone else would risk being caught in a lie.  Axxle would probably still investigate yuma, but I would not have jailed him because I would have wanted doctor alive. 
I tried to be ambiguous enough about the previous night's result so that the mafia might be worried that there was an unclaimed doctor among the VTs so they'd be a bit wary of claiming it.  Don't know if that worked or not.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 20, 2012, 01:28:21 pm »

I was worried dSell was Doctor.  So I guess that worked?  ...but more so because of power-role balance.  With three Mafia (one Rolecop) and 1 SK, I was sure the town would have at least 3 power roles.  Rolecop, Jailer... and I assumed Doctor, and the only one left was dSell.

Knowing now that the town originally had Cop/Jailer - and Cop being so powerful it's probably worth 2 roles - suddenly made everything make much more sense.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 20, 2012, 01:30:10 pm »

I got a bad break from that rolecop/ cop mistake. I'm not saying I would have held out to the end, but I do think I could have lasted a bit longer.  Really it was Galzria's reading me like a freaking book that did me in.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 20, 2012, 01:39:20 pm »

I had J and Volt as hard scum reads D1. At first I thought as a team, but Jo's roleclaim made me realize he was the SK.

What I never did understand is why so many people reacted to the Roleclaim with "oh, ok. That settles it then. He's clean." :-/

Still, like I said in the QT and discussion thread, real tip of the hat to Yuma. Leaving D1 (and for most of the game) you had most of us dead townies reading you wrong.

I was sure about Volt. Robz was sure about Eevee. He thought Dsell made number 3, and I thought eHal made number 3. So well done.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 20, 2012, 02:02:57 pm »

The roles seem to be not very easily understood what exactly they do.  I know that Jailer, Cop, and Rolecop had that problem in MI.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: June 20, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »

So for me to chime in, I thought the first few days were super interesting, I did screw up on Axxle, I had read the role cop role and pmd him as if he was a role cop for jotheonah, in doing so we turned him into a rolecop thinking it was just as powerful as a cop. Oops. That said I was VERY impressed by the late jailkeeping by eH he managed to target who the mafia sent for the kill everytime. It had previously been Volt, so I dont know why Volt didnt continue with the kill on eH who the mafia knew was jailkeeper, yuma did it instead.

For those of you thinking the town was underpowered it was originally a cop and a jailkeeper, vs a serial killer and mafia. I DIDN'T expect the town to kill Jo after learning he was an SK as his desire day 2 would have been to kill mafia I think.

The original setup was reviewed by pops who thought the balance was fine.

Outstanding job to Axxle and eH for recovering the town. Tip of the hat to the mafia as well for almost getting a perfect game.

The rest is very transparent.

Sincerest appologies to jotheonah for the mixup.

And as I knew all the roles, I thought jotheonah was dead day 1 I couldn't believe the one-shot vig claim was bought up as I thought your day 1 play was so erradic but I really enjoyed watcheing the early days. The last few days after everyone thought it was over was interesting to watch it turn around but wasn't nearly as fun. The night actions was the fun part at that point for me, watching eH hit who the mafia sent for the kill everytime
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:47 pm »

You're right, Insomniac, it's no big deal. As I said in the Dead Townie QT, the moment I posted that super long defense with two votes on me I was toast. The only non scummy reason for that level of survivalism was a PR, so I felt I had to go for it.

He/him

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 20, 2012, 02:21:04 pm »

Quote from: O
Eevee's is a damn excellent mafia if he's scum after the massive freaking townread I had from his post, but he lurks.

My only star moment :)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 20, 2012, 02:24:53 pm »

To be clear:  now that I know the original setup was cop/jailer vs. mafia rolecop/SK, I agree it was balanced (as originally intended).  It was the role cop thing that had me thrown, thinking there must be a doctor out there somewhere as well.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: June 20, 2012, 02:31:29 pm »

Oh and also - we lynched Robz day 1 because I was convinced he was a power role.  All his oblique hinting about "you should keep me around" and asking doctors to think carefully about who they protect.  The fact that he targeted Eevee was a secondary concern (in fact, we saw that as a reason NOT to lynch him, but I was so sure about his powerroleness we plowed ahead).

I did, for the record, have jo pegged as SK Day 1.  Of course, as mafia that's a bit easier to do...  ;)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 20, 2012, 02:34:05 pm »

Well Galzria and I remain the only winning mafia team.  8)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 20, 2012, 02:34:54 pm »

Will comment more in depth soon. I'll link a ridiculous Google doc I made for day 1.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: June 20, 2012, 02:35:25 pm »

For the record when I get to be mafia I will ruin you Robz ;), you'll stay alive so I can outdebate you.

EDIT: That said you will of course know that I'm mafia
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:39:33 pm by Insomniac »
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »

Btw, Volt is a ridic good mafia. We had pretty awesome discussion before day 1, I learnt a lot.

..Cant wait to play irl mafia and crush everyone lol, you guys are too smart for my liking.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 20, 2012, 02:41:06 pm »

For the record when I get to be mafia I will ruin you Robz ;), you'll stay alive so I can outdebate you.

Note to self: if past D2, and Insomniac and Robz are still alive, lynch Insomniac.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 20, 2012, 02:42:44 pm »

Volt, was that soft-claim of Doctor intentional? Why didn't you go for a full-blown doc claim when you were under the gun?

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 20, 2012, 02:53:52 pm »

Volt, was that soft-claim of Doctor intentional? Why didn't you go for a full-blown doc claim when you were under the gun?

I was sure Axxle had investigated me, and that a full-blown Doc claim would have immediately led to a full-blown lynch.

But perhaps I tried to play it too "safe."  I was having a lot of trouble concentrating on the game that week, and probably should have gone more boldly for the Doc claim. 

The ironic thing is that I didn't originally mean for my post to be read as a softclaim (when I first posted it).  I noted it after the fact and was considering claiming Doc for the next day, but I didn't want to risk it until after Axxle revealed his investigation result.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 20, 2012, 03:14:04 pm »

For the record, I don't think Axxle investigated you.  I'm pretty sure he revealed (the next day) that he had investigated Eevee for that crucial night.

Here is the link to a MIII day 1 spreadsheet I made, charting all (IMO) significant posts made by everyone.  Post number is included in parentheses, though I may have forgotten to include it a few times.  But it's sorted by page number per row, so posts can still be easily found.  I compiled it during Night 1 before deciding who to jail.

While it was nice for tracking individual actions, it didn't help a lot with seeing player interactions until the late game when there weren't many players left.

Something I learned from making the list -- it is very easy for townies to get lost and to make mistakes.  When Galz first posted his case against jo, I believed it.  But as the day continued, other arguments creeped in and, next thing I knew, I incorrectly remembered that I thought Galz's case against jo was weak.  If Mafia had dug up that contradiction, that would have made me extremely suspicious.  I believe I fessed up to my unwitting change of heart on day 2, as it was better than waiting for Mafia to catch it.

I also noticed that Robz seemed to contradict himself as well.  If he hadn't been killed, I would have been after him.  The thing was that early on in the day he seemed to be against no lynch, but by the end he was advocating it.  I think I actually did this too though!

Did anyone find the jailkeeper tell I left on day 1?  It was very subtle and I wasn't even sure of the legality of it, in that it treads kind of close to the "no cryptography" rule.  But I figured that rule was mostly in place to keep Mafia from communicating during the day, and I didn't have to reveal my secret unless absolutely required.

Major props to Robz and Galz for having such scarily accurate reads on day 1.  It's too bad that those reads got you killed.  On the plus side, it proves that catching Mafia isn't purely chance, nor are town powers required. 

In parallel, I think I only managed to stay alive through the early nights because I had such bad reads on people.  I was most suspicious of Dsell by far, and I continued to doubt O even when others had cleared him.  I made lots of mistakes early on.  We could have had a more productive day 2, and we should have realized something was wrong with the Morgrim wagon (although "they're all bussing him" was plausible, I think).  I definitely got lucky on jailing yuma when it mattered most.  I think my Eevee jail after that was a good WIFOM play. :)

Definitely misread Volt's doctor "tell".  Funny that Dsell saw it too and thought it was a Mafia tactic, when apparently Volt did it by accident.

After reading the QT, I'm surprised I was so suspicious throughout.  But hey, 50/50 is actually right where you want to be, right?  Enough to survive day and night.  ::)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 20, 2012, 03:20:55 pm »

Re: my spreadsheet, I will probably be taking it offline in a few days.  And I probably won't be doing something like that again... too time-consuming.

Re: my tell, two hints:

It starts on page 9.

I accidentally interrupted it at one point.

That should probably give it away fairly well.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: June 20, 2012, 03:22:07 pm »

You were largely suspicious to me because you jumped all over my relaxing my reads on J.

I mean, I was getting:

"please consider other options!"

"Ok, we're near the deadline, I'll consider other options"

"He must be Mafia! He's considering other options instead of sticking to what he believes! /voteGalzria!"

Well, you can imagine how I suddenly saw you in a rather scummy light.

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 20, 2012, 03:23:26 pm »

Re: my tell, two hints:

It starts on page 9.

I accidentally interrupted it at one point.

That should probably give it away fairly well.
Hahaha, +1

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 20, 2012, 03:24:36 pm »

Note to self: if past D2, and Insomniac and Robz are still alive, lynch Insomniac.

The meta meta, if your mafia and you don't have insomniac and robz in your team let both live :p

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 20, 2012, 03:32:05 pm »

You were largely suspicious to me because you jumped all over my relaxing my reads on J.

I mean, I was getting:

"Ok, we're near the deadline, I'll consider other options"

"He must be Mafia! He's considering other options instead of sticking to what he believes! /voteGalzria!"

Well, you can imagine how I suddenly saw you in a rather scummy light.

Yeah, sorry about that.  FWIW, I wasn't asking you to consider other options (as far as I can remember).  I was asking for you to present a strong case, because at that point I thought your case was really weak.  But as I mentioned above, I realized upon reading back that I actually thought you made good points the first time you spoke up against jo.  I just misremembered my own feelings.  Can't remember how that happened exactly.  I think I was getting suspicious of Robz and just didn't like how much you were defending him, though in hindsight you were correct to do so.

Oh, and I don't think any of us thought jo was cleared after his d1 claim -- we just thought that he shouldn't be lynched until investigative roles had a chance to check him out.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.