Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars (GAME OVER, TOWN WINS)  (Read 153696 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars DAY 1 UNDERWAY
« Reply #525 on: June 02, 2012, 04:49:34 pm »

O, you could try being a little helpful.

Re: collusion. Let me say this a different way. Everyone who has multiple votes on them has had a case laid out against them. But at the time I wrote that I couldn't really find the case against Eevee. Just some vague comments and 2 votes. It seemed a little odd. I asked for clarification. I got it from Robz. You, however, jumped on one word of my post and ignored the part that was a question directly addressed to you.

So, O. Why are you voting for Eevee?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:10 pm »

Well, I'm sorry for you, Voltgloss. Well articulated arguments and eventually votes against Morgrim, Kuildeous, Insomniac, and now me. You are about to be 0-4, my friend.

See, but that's just really unhelpful and spiteful. If you are trying to discredit him, I think that's the worst, worst, worst way to do it. Especially because YOU and YOUR arguments were a large part of why he went 0-3. But now you blame and try to discredit him for it?

- In post #375, Robz reacted to Dsell's increasing suspicions by admitting that he (Robz) has been doing the same things he accuses Dsell and Eevee of doing.  And adding that Dsell's "razor-focus" on him was "interesting."

I actually thought this one was really interesting too. I didn't say much about it because it doesn't really mean much, just kind of a passing comment, but it struck me as him being a little incredulous, kinda dumbstruck that I would suspect him. I don't think a townie would be dumbstruck, but I think a mafia who thought he was playing well would be.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 02, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »

Well, I'm sorry for you, Voltgloss. Well articulated arguments and eventually votes against Morgrim, Kuildeous, Insomniac, and now me. You are about to be 0-4, my friend.

To be fair, those first three times I had two devils on my shoulders.  ;) 

(OMG AN EMOTICON AND HE'S BEING SILLY HE MUST BE MAFIA)  /sarcasm

Pre-post edit:  Ninja'd by Dsell, but I like my joke, so I'm still posting it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 02, 2012, 04:56:48 pm »

(He? I'm basically using "he" on everyone here, I don't know if it's right or not...)

Eevee's isotropic name is MrEevee, so I assume "he".  Also, I posted this earlier but nobody responded!

Um, hey, what are all your preferred pronouns?  I don't want to refer to someone as "he" when she is a "she".  Or even an "it", if it prefers.

Anyway, it's actually time for me to go now.  Will check in again tonight.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 02, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »

Eevee's isotropic name is MrEevee, so I assume "he".  Also, I posted this earlier but nobody responded!

Oops, sorry! For the record I am a he. When I'm not sure I usually check people's profiles, but Eevee did not have a gender specified.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 02, 2012, 05:08:35 pm »

So, why do I suspect Robz?

• He responded to Dsell's mild suspicion, first by ignoring it; second by being nasty back; and third by attacking him in return.
  • He has not fairly met Dsell's core criticism:  that Robz is acting exactly like he says the Mafia would act.  Robz admits this, but asserts it doesn't matter, because why would he act like he says the Mafia would act?  But this devolves into WIFOM* that I don't find compelling:  Robz himself laid out those criteria, and could just as well be a Mafia acting in accordance therewith so he could claim (as he has) that he can't be Mafia or he wouldn't have laid out those criteria.
  • His insistence that he is one of the town's most helpful players and so shouldn't be lynched.  But he hasn't been helpful;  he's been (in his own words) nasty, needling, and accusatory towards those who have dared to suspect him.
  • His accusation that Dsell tried to preemptively defend himself in case of a mislynch.  "Everybody remember that?"  Actually, no, Robz, I don't.  I remember you characterizing one of Dsell's posts as that, and I remember Dsell rebutting your characterization as inaccurate.  And I definitely do not remember you fairly meeting the substance of his rebuttal.  Or meeting it at all, in fact.

Okay, here is Dsell's weaseling out:

If I turn out to be wrong and lead your lynch and you turn out to be a townie, that would be very unfortunate. And I would expect a lot of suspicion to be cast on me, rightly so. But I trust that my posts thus far and future posts will be clear, well-reasoned, and show my support for the town.

And he did it again recently:

I'm going to be on and off today, but obviously I will try to follow this as closely as possible.

As promised, here's a short analysis of how well I think people might be playing if they were mafia:

Dsell: Again, biased. But IF I were mafia, I actually don't think I would be playing well. I've taken one of the riskier game plans, going after one of the strongest and most experienced players, who is excellent at defending himself. I started a campaign against him before anyone else had suspected him at all, or even had any reason to suspect him. I could have jumped on Morgrim or O, who have confuzzled a few people, or on Eevee for being "suspiciously newbish" or on def because "we can't reward the non-participants." But no, I jumped on Robz, and have been fairly relentless. Seriously, how bad would that look if I led this whole campaign based on nothing and then we lynched town? Pretty bad. Of course that scenario also works if I'm misguided town (I certainly hope I'm not) but either way that's WAY more suspicion than I would want to put on myself early on if I were mafia.

When I come up Town, Dsell is going to deflect the suspicion toward him by saying it was too risky and unnecessary for a mafia person to go after someone so strongly round 1. So he has his defense all planned. In that way, killing me is great for him, because it gets rid of a dangerous townie and creates a nice defense for him later: "See, I can't be mafia! I did this!" Not that this is essentially a defense I employed in Mafia II, by gradually trying to shift the opinion to, oh the mafia wouldn't have launched this campaign against Morgrim, it was dangerous and unnecessary, the non-Morgrim voters are the truly suspicious ones. When in reality, 2 of the 3 who strongly pushed for Morgrim were mafia. Dsell's mistake is that he is trying to do this before I am even dead and buried.

Robz says of Dsell, "he has a Robz888 focus and as Robz888 I don't get it."  As someone who is NOT Robz888, looking at their discussion from the outside, I do get it.

And finally, here's the clincher, from Robz's most recent post about Eevee:

But what about Eevee? Do you see what I'm saying? Lalala I don't know what I'm doing, I'm just a cute Pokemon, lalala... and IT'S SUSPICIOUS.

I don't recall Eevee saying he's "just a cute Pokemon."  I do recall someone saying it, though.

haha trying my best to be insightful and smart and coming out as silly, thats painful to hear :D

You are insightful. I meant that you are insightful and a little silly, which strikes me as mafia. But it could be that I am exaggerating how silly you are because you are a cute Pokemon.

Robz is accusing Eevee of doing something that, in fact, Robz himself did.

I didn't mean to imply that Eevee said he was a cute Pokemon. You're right, I said that, and sort of in jest both times. I apologize: You're right that I made it look the wrong way. That was unintentional. But my point about Eevee--that he wield his sheep-like attitude and his inexperience as a weapon--remains.

Volt, if I am mafia, I am playing a pretty sloppy game. Do I play sloppy?

Of course I don't expect to convince you. Yes, I'm accusing all the people who voted for me (well, not Captain Frisk), but I'm beginning to imagine a Dsell, Eevee, Voltgloss team.

They have certainly already begun acquitting each other:

I'm-pretty-sure-is-town: Voltgloss, Dsell (good, well-argumented posts that strongly make me feel like I can trust you. Either of these being mafia is a scary thought but I can't really see that being the case, it doesnt seem like either is holding any info back).

A final impression:  out of everyone else so far, Dsell seems to be making the most generally reasonable, well-thought-out posts.  If I had to pick "most likely other player to be Town" at this very moment, I'd pick him. 

I know what they will say, and I know what many of you will say: If they were all mafia, there's no way they would play so closely, or vote together so immediately, or invest such public trust in each other, because it would look two suspicious. I believe they are employing a double bluff (double, single, triple? I can't count). Because we would not suspect people who do that, for exactly that reason. I believe they are giving it a try--working in semi-obvious tandem, so in tandem that it can't be possible.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 02, 2012, 05:14:21 pm »

Oops, sorry! For the record I am a he. When I'm not sure I usually check people's profiles, but Eevee did not have a gender specified.

A side note, but this has something to do with... something else I was wondering. This is a sort of out of left field request, but... I was really curious about everybody's gender, age, job, and country of origin. If you don't want to answer, that's fine, and of course you could just lie. I know this information might help me in my readings on a couple people.

Well, anyway, if nobody wants to do it, that's fine. But I'll start: I am a 23-year-old male from Detroit, Michigan. I am a journalist who writes mostly about public policy, specifically higher education.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 02, 2012, 05:16:30 pm »

Robz, I think you're grasping at straws.  The mafia don't need to lynch anyone today. They can live with a no-lynch. You're saying they're placing the first 3 votes on you? You are following your established scum pattern of always accusing your accusers. And I'm not buying it.

Unvote

Vote: Robz888

I'm voting precisely because I don't believe all of Robz's accusers to be mafia, and I'm finding their case against him much more compelling then either G's case against me or Robz's case against Eevee.

PREPOST EDIT:
You know this Robz, but journalist (science, magazine), 24, NYC
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 02, 2012, 05:19:57 pm »

I know what they will say, and I know what many of you will say: If they were all mafia, there's no way they would play so closely, or vote together so immediately, or invest such public trust in each other, because it would look two suspicious. I believe they are employing a double bluff (double, single, triple? I can't count). Because we would not suspect people who do that, for exactly that reason. I believe they are giving it a try--working in semi-obvious tandem, so in tandem that it can't be possible.

The idea that we are a team is ridiculous. That would be the WORST mafia play ever. You can make your above argument about literally any interaction. "Oh they are voting together? Must be a double bluff! They're mafia!" "Oh, Dsell and Galzria are making cases against different people? Must be a bluff to distract us! They're mafia!" "Oh, Jotheonah and Galzria are fighting with each other? They're really experienced...must be a triple bluff! They're mafia!"

Your rebuttal has made me feel pretty confident about my vote again.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 02, 2012, 05:24:25 pm »

Robz, I think you're grasping at straws.  The mafia don't need to lynch anyone today. They can live with a no-lynch. You're saying they're placing the first 3 votes on you? You are following your established scum pattern of always accusing your accusers. And I'm not buying it.

Actually, this is wrong. It's always been wrong. The mafia prefer lynching an innocent to No Lynch. They only prefer No Lynch to lynching mafia.

(Yes, last game I argued that No Lynch helped the mafia. I was lying. I was the mafia.)

The fewer day lynches, the more nights. The more nights, the more townies using their powers to figure things out. The mafia absolutely want two deaths per cycle, not one. They want us to kill someone, as long as it isn't one of them.

That's not to say WE should do No Lynch. But the mafia aren't aiming for No Lynch either. They are aiming for me.

Unvote

Vote: Robz888

I'm voting precisely because I don't believe all of Robz's accusers to be mafia, and I'm finding their case against him much more compelling then either G's case against me or Robz's case against Eevee.

PREPOST EDIT:
You know this Robz, but journalist (science, magazine), 24, NYC

Well, I'm not asking you to believe the case against all of them. I am asking you to believe the case against one of them: Eevee. 5 votes for me! This is trouble.

Well, perhaps it's not so bad. I can still win if I'm dead. I am a Townie, and you will learn that soon. Hopefully you will remember what I think: Please do not let Dsell acquit himself on his defense that "Oh, why would I go after Robz, if I were mafia?" I will suspect Eevee, Dsell, and Voltgloss to my grave. In any case, you will see that either Dsell or Voltgloss were very, very, very wrong--so stop listening to them!--or that perhaps they are mafia.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »

What I find more suspicious Robz, is that Volt COMPLETELY ignored me and J. This indicates to me (scary thought), that there very well could be 2 in V-J. See, V neither wanted to help J out directly by defending him, nor did he want to come after me because he can kill me at night. By ignoring J and I, and redirecting to where there is already suspicions he could hit two birds with one stone.

I'm not really going to focus on Mafiosi #2 at this point, but I feel that was very important to get out there. I had been waiting for awhile for V to speak up, and now he has. My Mafia trio :

J-V-#3
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 02, 2012, 05:25:43 pm »

The idea that we are a team is ridiculous. That would be the WORST mafia play ever.

But it comes with a built-in defense!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 02, 2012, 05:26:53 pm »

What I find more suspicious Robz, is that Volt COMPLETELY ignored me and J. This indicates to me (scary thought), that there very well could be 2 in V-J. See, V neither wanted to help J out directly by defending him, nor did he want to come after me because he can kill me at night. By ignoring J and I, and redirecting to where there is already suspicions he could hit two birds with one stone.

I'm not really going to focus on Mafiosi #2 at this point, but I feel that was very important to get out there. I had been waiting for awhile for V to speak up, and now he has. My Mafia trio :

J-V-#3

Yeah, obviously I don't like J getting on this bandwagon. I mean, I can see him doing it just because he's town and he would rather not die, though, you know?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 02, 2012, 05:27:12 pm »

Basically town, V and J are trying RIGHT NOW to slam the door on Robz, and if successful, you will have NEITHER of us day 2.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 02, 2012, 05:29:15 pm »

Basically town, V and J are trying RIGHT NOW to slam the door on Robz, and if successful, you will have NEITHER of us day 2.

That is a good point.

TOWN: DO you hear us? I am absolutely going to come up Town (possibly in a few minutes). The bad guys are among these people who voted for me. I'm positive of that.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 02, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »

Can you see me doing it because the players who are attacking you are making a convincing argument whereas you are not? Cause that's what's happening...

I hate to leave it like this, I really do, but I have a ticket for a Jonathan Coulton concert and I gotta head out. Back on much later tonight.

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 02, 2012, 05:31:13 pm »

Can you see me doing it because the players who are attacking you are making a convincing argument whereas you are not? Cause that's what's happening...

I hate to leave it like this, I really do, but I have a ticket for a Jonathan Coulton concert and I gotta head out. Back on much later tonight.

Their argument is terrible. Luckily, it will be disproved quite soon.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 02, 2012, 05:35:35 pm »

Well, perhaps it's not so bad. I can still win if I'm dead. I am a Townie, and you will learn that soon. Hopefully you will remember what I think: Please do not let Dsell acquit himself on his defense that "Oh, why would I go after Robz, if I were mafia?"

I am not making this defense. Robz is making it for me. I don't think I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, yeah it's gonna be suspicious. I've been transparent about that. If Robz IS mafia, I think it's safe to say that I will be acquitted (and probably will die at night). But NO one is for sure innocent if we lynch a townie. That's just the game.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 02, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »

That is a good point.

TOWN: DO you hear us? I am absolutely going to come up Town (possibly in a few minutes). The bad guys are among these people who voted for me. I'm positive of that.

But this...is not true? Robz is at FIVE. SEVEN are needed to lynch. If V and J were mafia partners, their partner is UNABLE to hammer without some help. From someone who is not here? Galzria, you are adamant that Robz cannot be mafia. I don't understand this, but do you not realize that a lynch is better for the town than a no lynch? You seem just altogether unwilling to budge.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 02, 2012, 05:42:02 pm »

I DON'T think Eevee is Mafia. I DON'T think Dsell is Mafia. I don't know about most of the rest. I think Robz got quickly in over his head. It's a side effect of needling too much.

AT THIS POINT, Voltgloss and Jotheonah are trying to move Robz from "just a guy with a few votes" to "deadline is looming, let's kill someone!", and they are doing it as the middle voters!

I am 95% sure Robz is town. I WAS HIS MAFIA PARTNER last game, and this is NOT how he plays as Mafia!

J is Mafia, and I've got a VERY strong feeling Volt is his partner.

As was pointed out, a Mafia Robz would fakeclaim. With 5 votes he isn't! Those last 2 could come at any time. I BEG you to reconsider this. You're being played the same way Robz and I played Volt/Insomniac/Kuildeous/Jotheonah and the rest in M-II! I know because I DID it there.

All I can ask is that you trust me on this, talking from experience, and make the right choice NOW, before you go down 2 town by day 2.

Jotheonah IS Mafia. Volt PROBABLY is Mafia. Robz IS town.

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 02, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »

I'm sitting in a movie about to start and will be unable to posst for several hours.  I did not comment on G vs. J because I find neither of them more suspicious than R, and had limited time to discuss my thoughts.  If people think I am suspicious for not weighing in on that debate, i'll do so, but it won't be until late tonight.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 02, 2012, 05:50:06 pm »

I DON'T think Eevee is Mafia. I DON'T think Dsell is Mafia. I don't know about most of the rest. I think Robz got quickly in over his head. It's a side effect of needling too much.

AT THIS POINT, Voltgloss and Jotheonah are trying to move Robz from "just a guy with a few votes" to "deadline is looming, let's kill someone!", and they are doing it as the middle voters!

I am 95% sure Robz is town. I WAS HIS MAFIA PARTNER last game, and this is NOT how he plays as Mafia!

J is Mafia, and I've got a VERY strong feeling Volt is his partner.

As was pointed out, a Mafia Robz would fakeclaim. With 5 votes he isn't! Those last 2 could come at any time. I BEG you to reconsider this. You're being played the same way Robz and I played Volt/Insomniac/Kuildeous/Jotheonah and the rest in M-II! I know because I DID it there.

All I can ask is that you trust me on this, talking from experience, and make the right choice NOW, before you go down 2 town by day 2.

Jotheonah IS Mafia. Volt PROBABLY is Mafia. Robz IS town.

Why are you SO panicked about this? Even if you die at night, if Robz turns up town it will only confirm what you are saying. I just don't see a need to get so worked up. Worst case scenario: Robz is lynched today and turns up town, you die tonight. Tons of suspicion on me, I am lynched tomorrow and turn up town, a rando is killed in the night. At this point your theory looks REALLY REALLY good and the town would have to consider it, and they would still have time. So quit freaking out.

The only thing that could throw a wrench in things is if we have a serial killer, but I don't think we should/can even factor that in until we see what happens in the night.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 02, 2012, 05:50:46 pm »

Yes, he can't be quick hammered, and he won't. Hammering isn't a real Mafia tool. Can you not see that? It's a scare tactic and a hide tactic by the Mafia. "The biggest suspect in a lynch vote is the final one" IS A FALLACY. It's a tactic employed BY the Mafia because it seems logical. The Mafia will already moved the vote within striking distance, and then let a townie cast the lynch votes. What better way to set them up for the next day? Think about it.

We need to vote, yes. But we have the chance to vote right here people, not wrong. The tells are all there, as I've explained them. But people need to open their eyes and realize that the Mafia in this game aren't going to magically appear scummy, when they never do in ANY game of forum Mafia. Robz is the wrong place to go, and we have the time to make the right choice now.

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 02, 2012, 05:55:32 pm »

Dsell,, your arguments now are: let's lynch him, and let you die, and then watch two more town go day 2. It's all ok.

That's a TERRIBLE stance. Basically "I'm willing to lynch town and don't care to hit Mafia when we have the chance". I'm not worried about a no-lynch vote right now. We still have time to make a GOOD choice. Pushing for a kill with time to consider still is very, very bad.

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 02, 2012, 05:58:25 pm »

In addition, while your argument (briefly) mentions SK, it doesn't take into account letting the Mafia get 2 free shots at hitting our town roles.

Mafia Record:

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.