Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars (GAME OVER, TOWN WINS)  (Read 153902 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars DAY 1 UNDERWAY
« Reply #375 on: May 31, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »

Here he does both of the things he criticizes in the first quote. In addition, at the end of the last quote he says lynching town could be ok in some situations. Which I don't altogether disagree with (in the case of a townie being extremely unhelpful or distracting, which I don't think is yet the case here), but he was pretty transparently talking about O at that time, even though he had just said that he didn't think he was mafia.

Now, however, he is hopping aboard the O bandwagon.

Quote from: Robz888 link=topic=2660.msg44693#msg44693 date=+ Attachments and other options 1338493708
I am more capable of seeing him as a mafia whose plan was to make us suspect him of being the Jester so that we never kill him. The fact that he mentioned the Jester in the first place, and then proposed his self-hammering, would seem to support this.

So, these things bring me closer to wanting to lynch O, I guess.

I don't really get exactly what O is doing, but he doesn't seem very much like mafia to me. He has done a lot to generate discussion, which is good. However, a LOT of Robz' posts have seemed not-quite-right to me. I could post several more quotes here but I'd really like to hear other people's input. Do most others (besides eevee) just get a town read from him? It's certainly possible that I'm barking up the wrong tree here but everything Robz posts is making me more suspicious to me, not less.

Yes, I have done many of the things that I accuse you and Eevee of doing. Obviously, though, I don't suspect myself.

Earlier when I talked about O, I meant that he wouldn't be a terrible loss for the town if we couldn't decide who to vote for. Later, though, this Jester business has me thinking he might be mafia. Thus a change in how I see him.

It's interesting how razor-focused on me you are. And I don't mean it in a condescending "it's interesting... because you are the mafia" sort of way. Just interesting.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 31, 2012, 04:36:06 pm »

After re-reading Mafia II, I'm going to agree with Dsell regarding Morgrim's "Unorthodox Posting" and UNVOTE.  I really don't like the concept of a unverifiable random vote, especially given that we were starting to have some real discussion, but doing that after the votes started to pile up AND everyone had already railed on O for it strikes me as Unorthodox Play, rather than Scummy.

My vote for Morgrim7 was very much based on your vote and conversation with him that led him to cast a random vote himself in what I saw as a panicked and defensive move.  You yourself said after his vote that this behavior justified your vote. I am wondering what your reasoning is for unvoting? Can you expand a little more than you did in the quote above. I am having a hard time following the reasoning behind it.

No problem:  In short: "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." - (Attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte)

1. I was about to go to bed, and I didn't want to leave a vote hanging when he was at 3

2. DSell's post reminded me to go back to the game you didn't want to reference - but sorry - it's additional information about a player - so its fair game, just like seeing someones most recent activity in the forum at large vs. in game... it lets you draw additional conclusions. 

I voted for him without this information - to me Morgim looked like he was inflating his post count with drivel.  When he random voted, it just confirmed my suspicions.

Then DSell reminded me that Morgim was in the other game - and played somewhat erratically - including a self hammer as vanilla townie - which I do agree is a explicitly bad play - the only thing you know FOR SURE as a vanilla townie is that the game is worse off with you dead. This lead me to believe that Morgrim isn't necessarily a sophisticated player - at which point attribution of suspicious behavior had an easier explanation - Hanlon's Razor.

As other's have pointed out: O is also difficult to get a read on.  With him - I suspect that this is intentional - since even if he is town - the Mafia may not want to night kill him because he stirs up the pot so much.
I can understand your reasoning now, I just don't completely agree with it, and I don't agree with Robz888's quote about it.
There is a perfectly good explanation for Morgrim's behavior: He is crazy. Not mafia, not townie, not special role, just crazy.
There is no way to know if Morgrim is town or not. He might be crazytown, crazymafia, crazyrole. As such his crazy playing isn't a good enough cover.
Here I am going to go out on a limb. If I were Morgrim7 and if I were town I would play especially carefully to not bring attraction to myself. I wouldn't be making myself all that noticeable by panic voting, etc... And if I were Morgrim7 and were Mafia I would be playing erratically in the hopes of continuing his "personality" from previous games to lessen suspicion.

Maybe I am reading too much into this, especially as he hasn't commented yet today. It would be nice to see how he behaves once the pressure is off from others, but until I see more from him my suspicion will remain.

Suspicious: Morgrim7, Robz888 (I see a lot of the logic others have mentioned about being suspicious about him.)
Not suspicious: Michaeljb
Vote: Morgrim7

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 31, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »

I don't really get exactly what O is doing, but he doesn't seem very much like mafia to me. He has done a lot to generate discussion, which is good. However, a LOT of Robz' posts have seemed not-quite-right to me. I could post several more quotes here but I'd really like to hear other people's input. Do most others (besides eevee) just get a town read from him? It's certainly possible that I'm barking up the wrong tree here but everything Robz posts is making me more suspicious to me, not less.

Wow, I need to be more observant.  Really good observations.  The waffling on Eevee is interesting.  After all the subtle suspicion, add this quote:

For the record: I have NOT been getting a town read from Eevee.

Now I want to vote for two people.

WAIT.  SCRATCH THIS.

For some reason I thought he said that he HAD been getting a town read from Eevee.  Wow.  Reading fail.

I take back what I said about Robz.  Yes he's middling like the rest of us, but he admitted to it as well.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 31, 2012, 04:47:07 pm »

@johtheonah
I realize that (now) posting that so quickly without reading&thinking it through wasnt my greatest idea. I was just eager to post something after my long absence.
As I said, I had so much to read I kind of forgot the earlier stuff and just remembered the mental note I made when someone (ah, seems this was actually you) asked "who would you vote if you had to vote now".. and that was to vote for you, which then made you #1 on the list. Reading your posts again, the stuff that irked me:

- being slightly too hasty to vote for O. I'm highly suspicious of him too, but saying

(For the record, though, since we may very well have no clue who the mafia is this round, killing the worst townie, even if we don't suspect him very much, isn't the worstfallback plan...)

In light of this, and the fact that if O is ok with a random lynch, he must be ok with being lynched, and the fact I don't like tone and he's been getting annoying, Vote: O

feels like you are very excited to find a reason to lynch someone way too quickly. Lynching someone for being annoying is just stupid (unless you are mafia in which case its a handy excuse).

..but now I realize that was the only thing and I way overreacted, especially considering you unvoted pretty quickly and explained that quite clearly and rationally. I dont think you would abandon the bandwagon if you were mafia and O wasnt, so uhm, I guess I missed that? Reading through so much, it's hard to stay concenctrated.

@eHalcyon
Yeah, I guess not remembering you even play puts you on the neutral column. Same goes for yuma whom I apparently forgot as well.

and @jotheonah
When I said I think mafia is playing well I meant exaclty that - in the irl games I've played its pretty common that a mafia member just completely fuqs up and reveals himself at some point. I thought us having pretty much no clue meant that mafia is doing well but maybe its just normal in these forum games.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 31, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »

Earlier when I talked about O, I meant that he wouldn't be a terrible loss for the town if we couldn't decide who to vote for. Later, though, this Jester business has me thinking he might be mafia. Thus a change in how I see him.

Now that Mafia I is done... ignoring power roles, who was more useful and correct in Mafia I?  ;)

And yes, if I'm a power role of any sort, I'm lying about hammering myself. I wouldn't do that if I were mafia, cop, jailkeeper etc.

I'll calm your fears now: I'm NOT jester. I'm 99% sure there is no jester. Insomniac isn't that cruel of a host.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 31, 2012, 04:50:41 pm »

I posted that as a joke in both Mafia I and III, and didn't expect it to be taken seriously. But OK, any more logs you can throw onto the O-Bonfire.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 31, 2012, 04:53:06 pm »

Man, I know I've been overanalyzing a lot in this game but I just wouldn't read too much into the jester comment. I mean, he said "once again" (oh here I go analyzing) so it was obviously a reference to something else.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 31, 2012, 04:56:38 pm »

Suspicious: Morgrim7, Robz888 (I see a lot of the logic others have mentioned about being suspicious about him.)
Not suspicious: Michaeljb
Vote: Morgrim7

Sorry if I missed this, but what has michealjb done to earn (alone amongst all of us) your "Not suspicious" spot?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 31, 2012, 05:03:32 pm »

@eHalcyon
Yeah, I guess not remembering you even play puts you on the neutral column. Same goes for yuma whom I apparently forgot as well.

Unremembered.  :'(

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 31, 2012, 05:09:40 pm »

@eHalcyon

I bet noone forgets that I'M in this game  ;D

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 31, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »

@eHalcyon

+1 for being funny. And using a emoticon, which SOME people (Robz) frown on.  :'(

I'm not trying to make an O bonfire, and I WANT to think you're just playing like TINAS (which worked out well for him AND you guys) - But much like he was day 1, you just seem so determined to be unhelpful to the town with some of your posts! Still, I'm not voting you, and you're not my primary suspicion at this point. But you make me very uncomfortable. Fair enough?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 31, 2012, 05:14:36 pm »

@eHalcyon

+1 for being funny. And using a emoticon, which SOME people (Robz) frown on.  :'(

I'm not trying to make an O bonfire, and I WANT to think you're just playing like TINAS (which worked out well for him AND you guys) - But much like he was day 1, you just seem so determined to be unhelpful to the town with some of your posts! Still, I'm not voting you, and you're not my primary suspicion at this point. But you make me very uncomfortable. Fair enough?

Correction: Your PLAYSTYLE up until this point make me very uncomfortable. Not YOU. You seem like a fine upstanding member of the community. Didn't want there to be confusion. (ie. Don't take anything personally, please! I would feel bad)

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 31, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »

I'm not playing like TINAS, he's far more crazy then I. I mean.. he was OUR FREAKING COP while doing all of that... insane...

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 31, 2012, 05:23:39 pm »

Just a reminder (although it was posted 1 page back) everyone that the deadline is this Sunday.  I don't know about the rest of you - but weekend time for me is typically family time and less computer time - which means less frequent reading and posting.

I am becoming increasingly suspicious of RobZ - expressly lobbying against us voting works in Mafia's favor (see Mafia II No Lynch Discussion - as well as any mafia theory site regarding nolynch option - Eg: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=4044628

Then there was this:

I'm not a mafia pro - but even I knew that Jester was extremely unlikely to be in the game - especially since our moderator told us there was nothing too crazy.  I don't see how an experienced player could read anything into O's Jester claim as something other than a joke...
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2012, 05:35:15 pm »

Sorry if I missed this, but what has michealjb done to earn (alone amongst all of us) your "Not suspicious" spot?

You didn't miss it. I did. He and I seem to be on the same line of thinking and as I know I am not suspicious, I believe that he is not either.
Ok so this is a few pages old now, but in going back through each player's posts one thing that stood out to me was Morgrim7's behavior before the vote. Specifically, in a couple of his flavorful journal entries he said he was not going to vote until he had more information (#194 and #236). Then after O had random voted him, and Frisk joined in for Morgrim making unhelpful posts (#251), Morgrim's reaction was to unhelpfully post and vote random(#252, #254), casting aside that earlier notion of waiting for more information. It seems like a really panicked response, and why would he panic if he had nothing to hide?

Like Frisk says with the attributed to Napoleon quote, this could just be incompetence, but it feels weird to me.

And Morgrim's more recent vote for O strikes me as "Oh, you voted for me? Well I'll vote for you." And Morgrim has wanted O to defend his view for random voting (#297), but I feel that he did: he said it was done to generate discussion (which it clearly has) and importantly, he would change his vote when it matters (#318). I'm not sure what more Morgrim could be looking for from O.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2012, 05:48:31 pm »

Yeah I had completely misread the deadline...this is actually pretty tight timeframe for such a big game.

Because of this, it is really important that people reread everything and try to form an opinion. If we can't make a decision in time, having a no lynch is not a good option. Also, if we stumble on a mafia first round (like I hope I have with Robz), it is important that the town rallies against this person. Assuming the three mafia do not vote for one of their own, it takes 7 of the 10 presumed townies to lynch a mafioso. That's a lot of organization for a bunch of people who don't trust each other, but I'm sure it can be done.

Roleclaiming may also occur, and it's tough because we don't have a set number of roles. One thing that may be truer in this game than others is to be wary of eleventh-hour roleclaims. Even if they are true, it puts the town in a situation where we have to somehow all be online and get 7 votes for someone else or else risk a no lynch situation. So for those of you with roles, if you think you must claim, PLEASE try to avoid claiming at the last possible minute (before the day 1 deadline)...this is a very tough situation because no one wants to claim before they must and it's bad for the town too...BUT we risk a no lynch and it could (and I think it should) look suspicious.

tl;dr We should try to be early and somewhat ahead of schedule with our lynch. Putting it off till the last minute means there is a real chance of a no lynch happening, especially if someone role-claims. Thus, I think these role-claims should...probably still be accepted in the short term but should cast real suspicion on that person if their last-minute role-claim led to a no lynch.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2012, 05:57:32 pm »

Just a reminder (although it was posted 1 page back) everyone that the deadline is this Sunday.  I don't know about the rest of you - but weekend time for me is typically family time and less computer time - which means less frequent reading and posting.

I am becoming increasingly suspicious of RobZ - expressly lobbying against us voting works in Mafia's favor (see Mafia II No Lynch Discussion - as well as any mafia theory site regarding nolynch option - Eg: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?p=4044628

Then there was this:

I'm not a mafia pro - but even I knew that Jester was extremely unlikely to be in the game - especially since our moderator told us there was nothing too crazy.  I don't see how an experienced player could read anything into O's Jester claim as something other than a joke...

Because I don't know how to read O wanting to kill himself unless he has something to gain by doing it. His whole "now the town would know I'm innocent" makes no sense.

I am absolutely not in favor of "No Lynch." We will, and we must, lynch. All I said was that accusations in my view suffice instead of voting, until it's time to vote. Just a personal preference, I suppose.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2012, 05:57:57 pm »

Why did I give a tl;dr option? Forget that, this is mafia! Everyone should be reading everything! If you skipped to the tl;dr, go back and read the rest of my post!  ;D

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 31, 2012, 06:05:50 pm »

I am absolutely not in favor of "No Lynch." We will, and we must, lynch. All I said was that accusations in my view suffice instead of voting, until it's time to vote. Just a personal preference, I suppose.

Well - it's Thursday evening, and we're lynching on Sunday - so in my mind it's time to start thinking hard about voting.

UNVOTE

You were hiding from this game, and you only showed up when called out, and even while agreeing with the need to lynch - are still opposed to casting votes and trying to move forward.  I am joining DSell and casting my vote.

VOTE: Robz888
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:13 pm »

Well - it's Thursday evening, and we're lynching on Sunday - so in my mind it's time to start thinking hard about voting.

UNVOTE

You were hiding from this game, and you only showed up when called out, and even while agreeing with the need to lynch - are still opposed to casting votes and trying to move forward.  I am joining DSell and casting my vote.

VOTE: Robz888

I do feel the need to speak up here:

Please go back and read Robz in both Mafia-I, AND Mafia-II. He is VERY consistent in that he doesn't cast a vote until he's made a decision. I'm not defending him from any of your other points, and will review each in detail, but that is a VERY weak case to make against him and I highly encourage anybody considering Robz for that reason to look into his past first.

Mafia Record:

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 31, 2012, 06:10:10 pm »

I find it highly odd that Robz accepted my antics in mafia I but not mafia III. Why such a change?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 31, 2012, 06:21:04 pm »

I do feel the need to speak up here:

Please go back and read Robz in both Mafia-I, AND Mafia-II. He is VERY consistent in that he doesn't cast a vote until he's made a decision. I'm not defending him from any of your other points, and will review each in detail, but that is a VERY weak case to make against him and I highly encourage anybody considering Robz for that reason to look into his past first.

I actually agree with this. Robz does tend to postpone voting until he is really really sure. Now, even if he were mafia and didn't care who the lynch was as long as it was town, he might delay to appear consistent. Robz' unwillingness to vote on his suspicions is not one of my primary concerns with him. Rather, he is walking down the middle of the road, making only weak accusations (eevee) and hopping on bandwagons (O) when the tide seemed to be turning this way.

Robz is exactly following the pattern he himself said we should look for in the mafia. Does he admit this? Yes, somewhat. Still, he has been wishy-washy, has said some questionable remarks that have struck me wrong, and has been generally not-that-helpful to the town. These are my primary concerns with him.

I'm also concerned that he may string things along as long as possible and when things are looking bad for him Sunday evening, say, "Ok guys I didn't want to reveal this but I am X-role." Which would let him survive another day, would probably mean a no-lynch, and (if everything goes how he would like) could win him some trust. And unless someone has the role that he claims, we can't verify the truth of his claims (until night at least, and then only if we happen to have the cop or some other similar role).

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 31, 2012, 07:28:41 pm »

It seems I have missed a lot. Wow. As a warning, I will only be able to post early in the morning and late at night for the next two days. With that said…
Unvote
Robz:
Encouraging people to post, eh? Careful, I walked on that ice in II, and let me tell you it is not forgiving. I do agree though, we must lynch sometime, whether today, or Sunday.
hmm...
Will post some more when I have thought a bit...
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 31, 2012, 07:53:15 pm »

Neutral: michaeljb (you post a lot yet I still dont remember any of your opinions. have you actually said much anything?)

This is about the only post where I really did say much of anything:

Ok so this is a few pages old now, but in going back through each player's posts one thing that stood out to me was Morgrim7's behavior before the vote. Specifically, in a couple of his flavorful journal entries he said he was not going to vote until he had more information (#194 and #236). Then after O had random voted him, and Frisk joined in for Morgrim making unhelpful posts (#251), Morgrim's reaction was to unhelpfully post and vote random(#252, #254), casting aside that earlier notion of waiting for more information. It seems like a really panicked response, and why would he panic if he had nothing to hide?

Like Frisk says with the attributed to Napoleon quote, this could just be incompetence, but it feels weird to me.

And Morgrim's more recent vote for O strikes me as "Oh, you voted for me? Well I'll vote for you." And Morgrim has wanted O to defend his view for random voting (#297), but I feel that he did: he said it was done to generate discussion (which it clearly has) and importantly, he would change his vote when it matters (#318). I'm not sure what more Morgrim could be looking for from O.

He might be crazy, he might just want to avoid being a day 1 lynch again, or he might be mafia.

I'm also somewhat suspicious of Robz, but I don't really have anything original to bring up on that front.
Don't know what to make of O, definitely not following his line of reasoning for the self-hammer.
Early on, jotheonah encouraged bold play and taking risks (#182), and I feel like his voting for O then backing down before (real life) night is pretty much the opposite behavior. Maybe I misinterpreted his earlier post.

And I've just seen Morgrim unvoted O; I'd like to know what Morgrim's thinking right now. It'd be nice to hear some rationale for the behavior I pointed out above.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 31, 2012, 08:26:35 pm »

I advocated bold play, not stupid play. Leaving my vote on O would have been foolhardy.

For the record, here's how I read O's self-lynch comment (and I think if the rest of you read it closely instead of just OMG SELF LYNCH, you'll see this too.)

Paraphrase:
"If I am so unlucky as to gain six votes on myself on Day 1, I will cast the 7th vote myself. In doing so, I will serve as a sacrificial lamb, dying but teaching the town a valuable lesson about  not being careful with their votes. In this way I will help the town win, even though I'm helping lynch town."

It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but that's how I read it and no one else seems to have gotten that out of it.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.