Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars (GAME OVER, TOWN WINS)  (Read 153713 times)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars DAY 1 UNDERWAY
« Reply #350 on: May 31, 2012, 02:11:10 pm »

FYI all, Mafia I just finished.  So those who didn't feel right commenting on other games that were still pending - well, Mafia I at least is fair game now.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »

Deadline: 1 Week So June 3

Insomniac, what time (and timezone) is our deadline on June 3?

11:59pm PDT
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2012, 02:38:47 pm »

Ok so this is a few pages old now, but in going back through each player's posts one thing that stood out to me was Morgrim7's behavior before the vote. Specifically, in a couple of his flavorful journal entries he said he was not going to vote until he had more information (#194 and #236). Then after O had random voted him, and Frisk joined in for Morgrim making unhelpful posts (#251), Morgrim's reaction was to unhelpfully post and vote random(#252, #254), casting aside that earlier notion of waiting for more information. It seems like a really panicked response, and why would he panic if he had nothing to hide?

Like Frisk says with the attributed to Napoleon quote, this could just be incompetence, but it feels weird to me.

And Morgrim's more recent vote for O strikes me as "Oh, you voted for me? Well I'll vote for you." And Morgrim has wanted O to defend his view for random voting (#297), but I feel that he did: he said it was done to generate discussion (which it clearly has) and importantly, he would change his vote when it matters (#318). I'm not sure what more Morgrim could be looking for from O.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2012, 02:46:15 pm »

Ok so this is a few pages old now, but in going back through each player's posts one thing that stood out to me was Morgrim7's behavior before the vote. Specifically, in a couple of his flavorful journal entries he said he was not going to vote until he had more information (#194 and #236). Then after O had random voted him, and Frisk joined in for Morgrim making unhelpful posts (#251), Morgrim's reaction was to unhelpfully post and vote random(#252, #254), casting aside that earlier notion of waiting for more information. It seems like a really panicked response, and why would he panic if he had nothing to hide?

Like Frisk says with the attributed to Napoleon quote, this could just be incompetence, but it feels weird to me.

And Morgrim's more recent vote for O strikes me as "Oh, you voted for me? Well I'll vote for you." And Morgrim has wanted O to defend his view for random voting (#297), but I feel that he did: he said it was done to generate discussion (which it clearly has) and importantly, he would change his vote when it matters (#318). I'm not sure what more Morgrim could be looking for from O.

There is a perfectly good explanation for Morgrim's behavior: He is crazy. Not mafia, not townie, not special role, just crazy.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 31, 2012, 02:49:08 pm »

Just a quick note while I have a minute.

If 6 got on me (and it was clear that I would probably (80%+) be lynched) my plan was to self-hammer and hopefully demonstrate to the town exactly what NOT to do. I'm still not sure whether that would have been a good move on my part: I would have given up myself, but hopefully revised some of the town's voting patterns.

If you are town, self-hammering yourself is bad play, because it deprives the town of important knowledge - specifically, the knowledge of who would have cast the hammering vote.

Yeah, saying he's going to self-hammer is enough for me. 

VOTE: O

Re: Morgrim... a plausible explanation is that he did indeed panic, but not because he had something to hide.  As others have pointed out, it would really, really suck if he got day-1 lynched two games in a row!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:30 pm »

There is a perfectly good explanation for Morgrim's behavior: He is crazy. Not mafia, not townie, not special role, just crazy.

Crazy? Yes. But I still like the guy, and think he's nice. :)

On a more serious note (I know, jokes, emoticons, AND serious points, all in ONE post!?! OMGMAFIA), I'm not AS suspicious of O as I was yesterday, but still would like to hear an explanation regarding self-lynching "to prove a point" as I understand it. Also, still watching Jotheonah.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2012, 03:00:04 pm »

On a more serious note (I know, jokes, emoticons, AND serious points, all in ONE post!?! OMGMAFIA), I'm not AS suspicious of O as I was yesterday, but still would like to hear an explanation regarding self-lynching "to prove a point" as I understand it. Also, still watching Jotheonah.

I tried to mentally think of a situation in which self lynching made sense... and failed to do so.  Maybe if everyone other than you had voted - lets say 3-3 with 7 players remaining - and you knew - 100% that the other player was a more powerful role than you - AND - one of the people voting for you was about to switch their vote, then maybe it would make sense.

On Day 1?  I feel like its more of a table flip as you look at nearly certain death.... You can't fire me... I QUIT!

Regarding O - I'm going to to go with crazy until something concrete says otherwise.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2012, 03:26:39 pm »

Voting against whoever hammers the innocent person is a trap 90% of the time, unless Mafia are inept.

And self-hammering isn't to protect a power-role; it's to release information to the town by proving that I am a townie by ensuring I'm lynched. Honestly, it's still a very minor difference because if you have 6 you're probably dead anyways.

I find it funny that eHalycon voted for me for my position of self-hammering, as it may very well allow me to self hammer in a bit.  ;)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 31, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »

Crazy? Yes. But I still like the guy, and think he's nice. :)

Keep watching. I might do a trick.  :P
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 31, 2012, 03:32:17 pm »

Voting against whoever hammers the innocent person is a trap 90% of the time, unless Mafia are inept.

And self-hammering isn't to protect a power-role; it's to release information to the town by proving that I am a townie by ensuring I'm lynched. Honestly, it's still a very minor difference because if you have 6 you're probably dead anyways.

I find it funny that eHalycon voted for me for my position of self-hammering, as it may very well allow me to self hammer in a bit.  ;)

Once again, I'm left feeling you are playing VERY anti-town, and I don't know exactly how to react. To your credit... well, you're being very transparent about your actions. But I don't know what else to say here. Terrible, terrible play to self-hammer.

You are the only person who knows your role. Lynching Mafia day 1 is better than lynching Town day 1. I don't *think* you would disagree with either?

SO, if you are town, in what way does chopping your OWN head off (and causing a town lynch) help the town?
SO, if you are Mafia, in what way does chopping your OWN head off (and causing a mafia lynch) help the Mafia?
SO, if you are any other Role, in what way does chopping your OWN head off (and causing whatever faction you're playing for) help your own faction?

No, no, no, no and NO. Gah! *Goes crazy*

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: May 31, 2012, 03:32:35 pm »

But, but... fallacies...

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 31, 2012, 03:34:16 pm »

SO, if you are any other Role, in what way does chopping your OWN head off (and causing whatever faction you're playing for) help your own faction?

Actually, this might be the answer we were looking for. Maybe he has a role that makes him more valuable to us dead, but he has to cast the ultimate vote himself. Suicide Cop or something?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 31, 2012, 03:35:23 pm »

Actually, this might be the answer we were looking for. Maybe he has a role that makes him more valuable to us dead, but he has to cast the ultimate vote himself. Suicide Cop or something?

Could you provide more info? I'm not (and I know this is true of others) familiar with possible roles this could be true of.

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 31, 2012, 03:38:31 pm »

Could you provide more info? I'm not (and I know this is true of others) familiar with possible roles this could be true of.

Others may not be familiar with such a role, but O is.

I once again claim Jester.

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Jester

If the Jester gets lynched, he wins.

Further relevant reading:

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=BBB%27s_Gambit

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »

Well, that would make things complicated. Now we can't kill O at least until we've investigated him. Assuming we have a cop.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2012, 03:43:00 pm »

First of all, sorry for being busy and not posting for a while. Just caught up with everything.. oh so much reading. Makes me forget the stuff I had to say four pages back.. should really try to get online every 5 hours or so to not miss out on stuff.

Oh well, I'll chime in with my hunches now:

Suspicious: johtheonah (Something feels very off here. I'll try to think of a way explain this when I have more time, I actually meant to just post a list now but I started writing the neutral column first and had something to say about everyone of those so I feel I've got to do the same here) > O (you've got to know that is bad bad town play.. kind of weird though, dont really think you would go that route if you were mafia either but.. eh, pretty confident that cant be a power townie role at least) > Morgrim (was my #1 suspect until someone posted he was just like this in some other game where he was town. Still not exaclty convinced but certainly helps his case)

Neutral: michaeljb (you post a lot yet I still dont remember any of your opinions. have you actually said much anything?), def (posting so little, hard to say), Galzria (posts a lot, some of it looks mafia-ish, some of it townish. undecided still but inclined to believe you're clean and sincere), Captain_Frisk (I find myself agreeing with a lot of your posts but am still not convinced. somehow it feels like you arent 100% honest / helping town as much as you could if you really wanted to)

I'm-pretty-sure-is-town: Voltgloss, Dsell (good, well-argumented posts that strongly make me feel like I can trust you. Either of these being mafia is a scary thought but I can't really see that being the case, it doesnt seem like either is holding any info back).

???: Robz, half the time you seem like a sure townie, then you go around and say something too stupid for a guy that smart and start looking suspicious again. Your playing style is very good for the game though, so if I was equally suspicious of you and someone else, I'd rather vote for the someone else.

If the lynch was tomorrow morning, I'd pick either O or johtheonah but hopefully we'll get more info before we have to cross that bridge. Everything still looks very puzzling, I find myself hoping I could be "sure" of someone so that I could really start to hammer that person instead of posting these somewhat vague thoughts (sorry guys, I really dont have anything better to offer). Mafia seems to be playing very well which makes me suspect the silent ones and the more experienced ones more (and johtheonah seems to be the only one of my 3 suspects above who fits either of these labels so arghhhh).

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2012, 03:45:16 pm »

I really dont think Insomniac would make us play with a jester, seems like a terrible terrible role. That would explain O's behaviour though..

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2012, 03:48:17 pm »

I didn't realize when I was signing up that the roles would be completely blind about the roles. I am going to say here and now that I don't like it. And if I had known it would be this way I would not have. What is the point of keeping everyone in the dark. Maybe it is more fun for advanced players, but I am not an advanced player.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 31, 2012, 03:48:28 pm »

Others may not be familiar with such a role, but O is.

I once again claim Jester.

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Jester

If the Jester gets lynched, he wins.

Further relevant reading:

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=BBB%27s_Gambit

I don't think O would mention the Jester at all if he was one and planned to use that strategy. He mentioned the Jester earlier in this thread? Yeah, I don't think he would have done that. We might have killed him and never even guessed that's what it could be.

I am more capable of seeing him as a mafia whose plan was to make us suspect him of being the Jester so that we never kill him. The fact that he mentioned the Jester in the first place, and then proposed his self-hammering, would seem to support this.

So, these things bring me closer to wanting to lynch O, I guess.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 31, 2012, 03:51:25 pm »

grrr grammar.

I didn't realize when I was signing up that the we would be completely blind about the roles. I am going to say here and now that I don't like it. And if I had known it would be this way I would not have signed up. What is the point of keeping everyone in the dark? Maybe it is more fun for advanced players, but I am not an advanced player.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:55 pm »

First of all, sorry for being busy and not posting for a while. Just caught up with everything.. oh so much reading. Makes me forget the stuff I had to say four pages back.. should really try to get online every 5 hours or so to not miss out on stuff.

Oh well, I'll chime in with my hunches now:

Suspicious: johtheonah (Something feels very off here. I'll try to think of a way explain this when I have more time, I actually meant to just post a list now but I started writing the neutral column first and had something to say about everyone of those so I feel I've got to do the same here) > O (you've got to know that is bad bad town play.. kind of weird though, dont really think you would go that route if you were mafia either but.. eh, pretty confident that cant be a power townie role at least) > Morgrim (was my #1 suspect until someone posted he was just like this in some other game where he was town. Still not exaclty convinced but certainly helps his case)

Neutral: michaeljb (you post a lot yet I still dont remember any of your opinions. have you actually said much anything?), def (posting so little, hard to say), Galzria (posts a lot, some of it looks mafia-ish, some of it townish. undecided still but inclined to believe you're clean and sincere), Captain_Frisk (I find myself agreeing with a lot of your posts but am still not convinced. somehow it feels like you arent 100% honest / helping town as much as you could if you really wanted to)

I'm-pretty-sure-is-town: Voltgloss, Dsell (good, well-argumented posts that strongly make me feel like I can trust you. Either of these being mafia is a scary thought but I can't really see that being the case, it doesnt seem like either is holding any info back).

???: Robz, half the time you seem like a sure townie, then you go around and say something too stupid for a guy that smart and start looking suspicious again. Your playing style is very good for the game though, so if I was equally suspicious of you and someone else, I'd rather vote for the someone else.

If the lynch was tomorrow morning, I'd pick either O or johtheonah but hopefully we'll get more info before we have to cross that bridge. Everything still looks very puzzling, I find myself hoping I could be "sure" of someone so that I could really start to hammer that person instead of posting these somewhat vague thoughts (sorry guys, I really dont have anything better to offer). Mafia seems to be playing very well which makes me suspect the silent ones and the more experienced ones more (and johtheonah seems to be the only one of my 3 suspects above who fits either of these labels so arghhhh).

BWUH? Man I don't mind being accused here and there, shows the town are on their toes and all that, but I just got cited as #1 suspicious person without any concrete (or even abstract) reasons given AT ALL.  Eevee, I was getting a town read off you, but who does that?

I want to believe you're just new and don't see how incredibly suspicious that kind of vague, unsubstantiated pseudo-accusation is.

Also, you say Mafia is playing well, but I'm not sure what that even means at this point. All we can say is that Mafia hasn't done anything unbelievably stupid.

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2012, 03:54:36 pm »

For the record: I have NOT been getting a town read from Eevee.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 31, 2012, 03:55:08 pm »

I can't see a threat of self-hammering as anything other than an attempt to get people to NOT put you at 6 votes.  Even now, people are becoming confused at your play and concerned that they're misreading your actions.  It's chaotic, and chaos helps the Mafia, not the Town.

@Eevee -- nothing about me?  Does that put me in your Neutral camp?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 31, 2012, 04:01:22 pm »

Look at this quote:
And all of them, to some extent, have done what I consider "mafia middle-grounding." That's when they say something like, "WHat this person did here was suspicious, but then it was also not suspicious." Or they say something serious and then walk it back a bit with a joke.

Then read some of Robz' own words:
.. and yeah, I dont think I have anything to explain. I feel I've been one of the more helpful posters this far, dont really see any reason to suspect me. Why did you pick me to ask that question?
Just a feeling. Your posts seem to strike a Mafia-esque balance between purposeful and silly.

haha trying my best to be insightful and smart and coming out as silly, thats painful to hear :D

You are insightful. I meant that you are insightful and a little silly, which strikes me as mafia. But it could be that I am exaggerating how silly you are because you are a cute Pokemon.

Then:
So, I insist that pure random voting is the worst thing you can do for the town. O and Morgrim have done it. I ask you both: Why? Do you disagree with my analysis? Will you admit to being the mafia?

And:
For that reason, the true random voting is bad/unhelpful town behavior. So I was asking these bad/unhelpful town players to defend themselves. It doesn't mean I actually think they're mafia. I personally toss accusations around but reserve actual voting for the person I have settled on.

(For the record, though, since we may very well have no clue who the mafia is this round, killing the worst townie, even if we don't suspect him very much, isn't the worstfallback plan...)
(Emphasis added)

Here he does both of the things he criticizes in the first quote. In addition, at the end of the last quote he says lynching town could be ok in some situations. Which I don't altogether disagree with (in the case of a townie being extremely unhelpful or distracting, which I don't think is yet the case here), but he was pretty transparently talking about O at that time, even though he had just said that he didn't think he was mafia.

Now, however, he is hopping aboard the O bandwagon.

I am more capable of seeing him as a mafia whose plan was to make us suspect him of being the Jester so that we never kill him. The fact that he mentioned the Jester in the first place, and then proposed his self-hammering, would seem to support this.

So, these things bring me closer to wanting to lynch O, I guess.

I don't really get exactly what O is doing, but he doesn't seem very much like mafia to me. He has done a lot to generate discussion, which is good. However, a LOT of Robz' posts have seemed not-quite-right to me. I could post several more quotes here but I'd really like to hear other people's input. Do most others (besides eevee) just get a town read from him? It's certainly possible that I'm barking up the wrong tree here but everything Robz posts is making me more suspicious to me, not less.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 31, 2012, 04:33:52 pm »

I don't really get exactly what O is doing, but he doesn't seem very much like mafia to me. He has done a lot to generate discussion, which is good. However, a LOT of Robz' posts have seemed not-quite-right to me. I could post several more quotes here but I'd really like to hear other people's input. Do most others (besides eevee) just get a town read from him? It's certainly possible that I'm barking up the wrong tree here but everything Robz posts is making me more suspicious to me, not less.

Wow, I need to be more observant.  Really good observations.  The waffling on Eevee is interesting.  After all the subtle suspicion, add this quote:

For the record: I have NOT been getting a town read from Eevee.

Now I want to vote for two people.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.