Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars (GAME OVER, TOWN WINS)  (Read 153684 times)

def

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia III: In a shelter among beggars DAY 1 UNDERWAY
« Reply #175 on: May 28, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »

Yeah, sure, and when I'm here, nobody talks AT ALL. Which timezones are you in? I'm GMT+1.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2012, 04:15:00 pm »

U.S.A. Central time here.
The reason why nobody has been talking is, well, there is nothing to say.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2012, 04:17:29 pm »

GMT-6 (Mountain Standard Time).

More newbie advice requests -- a quick overview of the lingo, please?  In Mafia I and II people talk about bandwagons and hammers being dropped, which I understand from having read a few of the articles on the mafiascum wiki.  Are there other terms we should know?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2012, 04:19:38 pm »

we have to get the ball rolling somehow though. i just dont have any suspicions yet, everyone seems friendly and townish.. false security?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2012, 04:19:53 pm »

Yeah, sure, and when I'm here, nobody talks AT ALL. Which timezones are you in? I'm GMT+1.

Sorry, you missed the party. If my Avatar doesn't give it away, I live about 15 minutes from DougZ.  (Sunnyvale, CA here).
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »

Dear Journal,
Not much talk in the town today. Everything seems so calm; there seems to be no suspicion about anyone. No idea who is Mafia yet, so us townies must be on our guard. The Duke and Duchess are curently residing at the Baron's Estate.
Today I was asked by the Alchemist to be his Apprentice, but I declined. There is too much going on  with the murder and all, and I think th only reason why the Alchemist wants an Apprentice is because he wants someone to look after his Apothecary shop so he can take a vacation on an Island. Earned 5 Coppers today from the Coppersmith...

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2012, 07:54:41 pm »

US Eastern time here (GMT -5?)

It does indeed seem pretty quiet.  I'm assuming that its because of the long weekend and most of us were probably eating burgers and enjoying life outside.  Hopefully it will be more exciting tomorrow.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2012, 10:49:37 pm »

Day 1 is the worst. You have no real option but to poke at molehills until you see a mountain, which you almost certainly made up. But suggest not killing someone and boy do you get jumped on ;)

But there are strategies. Pick somebody, hard target them, shake them up, see what they say or do. Skimming some mafia scum games, I expect the game will be more fun if we all play boldly. Don't let yourself get so terrified of being the day 1 lynch that you don't talk or take any risks.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2012, 11:51:26 pm »

I say we kill Robz... out of sympathy for him. He's in too many of these anyways.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2012, 11:58:47 pm »

I say we kill Robz... out of sympathy for him. He's in too many of these anyways.

My +1 is for the joke, not because I want to kill Robz.

But maybe we should kill Robz...

Aside: Um, hey, what are all your preferred pronouns?  I don't want to refer to someone as "he" when she is a "she".  Or even an "it", if it prefers.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2012, 12:19:59 am »

Blatantly stolen argument from another game. O is a bandwagon'er. Kill him:

Uh, why?

Because you're too crafty for your own good.
And anybody who can be involved in Mafia-I, Mafia-II, Mafia-III, Resistance, AND Isodom 5 can't be trusted.
 ;)

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2012, 12:21:16 am »

Ok. No more cross-game posting for me. Even in complete jest.  8)

Mafia Record:

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2012, 01:33:12 am »

With 13 alive it takes 7 to lynch - Deadline July 3, 2012
Not voting(13) - Everyone
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2012, 01:48:49 am »

having this many players makes lynching really hard (how are we supposed to get 7 of us to vote for someone when there is 0 information about anyone). i dont expect anyone to claim any roles out of thin air either (i mean please dont, sounds like a terrible play to me) so i guess everyone should make semi-meaningless posts like this until someone says something suspicious? idk, lynching anyone feels soo far away right now but obviously we have to kill someone.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2012, 01:53:37 am »

I once again claim Jester.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2012, 02:02:56 am »

having this many players makes lynching really hard (how are we supposed to get 7 of us to vote for someone when there is 0 information about anyone). i dont expect anyone to claim any roles out of thin air either (i mean please dont, sounds like a terrible play to me) so i guess everyone should make semi-meaningless posts like this until someone says something suspicious? idk, lynching anyone feels soo far away right now but obviously we have to kill someone.
Basically. The first person to die will be someone who had the strongest straw-man case brought against them. Rarely will that be Mafia. What we learn, is how/when people voted. Why they made the case for/against. Did they say one thing but do another?

Example of Mafia move:

"My case against X is A, B, and C. I've just got a strong feeling, they've been playing suspicious all game. I'm ready to vote whenever (or at listed time)"

That sets up being able to drop the lynch vote, while having the defense "Well, I said I was going to". Always a Mafia move? Of course not. But we need to watch closely for any hedging. Don't let people present a possible defense before they're ever suspected of guilt. Make them own their words.

Mafia Record:

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:46 am »

So - @ the risk of looking suspicious, and in the interest of getting things started rather than another few days of poking, I just searched the thread for the post counts. (Disclaimer - this includes pregame posts)

Username   Post Count (5/29)
Galzria   37
michaeljb   23
jotheonah   15
Morgrim7   12
MrEevee   11
Dsell   11
Robz   10
Voltgloss   9
O   9
eHalcyon   9
Captain_Frisk   4
def   3
yuma   2

Using this as reference: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=How_to_Win_as_Mafia:_Calculated_Inaction

I am going to VOTE: Galzria, based purely on his higher than average post count.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2012, 10:09:05 am »

my read of galzrias general forum behaviour is that he is just a talkative person and likes to post a lot, so i wouldnt hold that against him. i'd actually go for an entirely opposite direction and propose lynching you, def or yuma. how can we know anything about a guy who isnt willing to help us by posting?
Vote: yuma, just to make the quiet people feel the heat & realize they need to come out of their shell.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 29, 2012, 10:21:57 am »

my read of galzrias general forum behaviour is that he is just a talkative person and likes to post a lot, so i wouldnt hold that against him. i'd actually go for an entirely opposite direction and propose lynching you, def or yuma. how can we know anything about a guy who isnt willing to help us by posting?
Vote: yuma, just to make the quiet people feel the heat & realize they need to come out of their shell.

I had actually considered doing the same - but I'm willing to give a pass for weekends in general, and long weekends especially.  There also wasn't a whole lot to discuss - although hopefully this changes now!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2012, 10:42:09 am »

Dear Journal,
The town exploded todey after the secret meeting. At the meeting, all of us townies voted on who to publicly lynch. Now, there are two votes already and I can feel more coming. And just to think, we were all so quiet before! Best not wallow in our grief, though, we must be prepared for hard times to come. The two votes cast today were as follows: The Duke, who murdered Axxle and popsofctown, and another person (of whom I do not know the loyalties[by that I mean loyalty to us, the Townies, or the mafia]) who has not spoken much.
I will remain non-voting for the moment, at least until I have more information. I find I unwise to jump to any conclusions at present.
With the five Coppers I earned yesterday I have decided to buy a Merchant Ship. When it comes in, I should be at least two coins richer. I have also decided to ask the Alchemist if he will look over declining his Apprenticeship yesterday. I think now that bed and board may be invaluable; I do not feel right in this homeless shelter...something sinister resides here...the Mafia...us townies need to avoid them...

Mad, I tell you.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 29, 2012, 11:29:32 am »

In the interest of generating more discussion (so us townies can start getting reads on everyone) I'm also going to vote: yuma.

Hopefully this works in generating some talk, I'm sure things will be more interesting once stuff is actually happening.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 29, 2012, 11:34:44 am »

So - @ the risk of looking suspicious, and in the interest of getting things started rather than another few days of poking, I just searched the thread for the post counts. (Disclaimer - this includes pregame posts)

Username   Post Count (5/29)
Galzria   37
michaeljb   23
jotheonah   15
Morgrim7   12
MrEevee   11
Dsell   11
Robz   10
Voltgloss   9
O   9
eHalcyon   9
Captain_Frisk   4
def   3
yuma   2

Using this as reference: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=How_to_Win_as_Mafia:_Calculated_Inaction

I am going to VOTE: Galzria, based purely on his higher than average post count.

Oh man. If I'm gonna be guilty for talking a lot, I'll never make it past the first rounds of these games.  ;) On the other hand, Whooo! First vote baby!  ;D

Honestly, Eevee has the right of it. My posts per day is at 5.7, and the only person I can think of off hand that comes up higher is WW. So yeah. Not to mention my closing in on 14 days logged online since I registered on March 26, 2012, 02:35:18 pm. Yikes.  ??? ??? ???

Anyway, rest assured, I most certainly am not Mafia. Though I really wish I WAS in this game... With so many juicy targets to go after...  ;D

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 29, 2012, 11:35:00 am »

Haven't had time yet to read everything in full, but I am a tad worried about VOTES being cast around so quickly.  Suspicions are fine, even strong suspicions, but do we really want to have votes on the table so soon?  Are we not worried about votes piling in so quickly that the Mafia are able to sneak the hammer on a Townie before we really get the discussion going?

Yes, Day 1 is the hardest day to lynch Mafia because we're flying so blind, but moving quickly to a lynch doesn't seem the right approach to me.  Rather, get some suspicions out there, and then see how people react.  Maybe, just maybe, you'll see something in the way people react that could up the chance of your lynch target being Mafia.

And even if we DON'T hit Mafia on day 1, we'll still have generated a decent log of chatter that could prove useful for us going forward.  Y'know, like on day 2 or 3 when someone might be wondering "hmm, maybe X and Y are part of the Mafia team," the more posts we have from X and Y the better we can analyze that.  But if we move too quickly through Day 1 we deny ourselves the chance to get some substantive posting in Day 1.

With that in mind, my suspicions currently weigh towards those who have voted early - Captain Frisk, eevee, and michaeljb.  Why vote so early, rather than simply expressing strong suspicions?  Won't expressing strong suspicions generate the same level of discussion from/about your targets, without risking the possibility of an accidental bandwagon getting hammered by the Mafia?  (Note that there's a two-vote bandwagon ALREADY!  Bandwagons can ramp up surprisingly fast!)  Those are the questions I'd like to hear answered, and others' thoughts as well. 

Also FYI, I will be very busy due to work from now to tomorrow night (EDT) and so probably unable to post substantively again until then.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 29, 2012, 12:05:23 pm »

Well I figured 7 votes is quite a few for a lynch, I didn't really think there was much chance of a bandwagon piling up too quickly and yuma getting lynched before much discussion happened--but as you say Voltgloss, "Bandwagons can ramp up surprisingly fast!". I'm just gonna say I don't know how true this is, I've played Mafia a few times IRL, and this is my first forum game so I don't have a good feel for how quickly a bandwagon can get going. If it gets out of hand before we've heard from yuma I'll unvote.

Obviously I don't want yuma to get lynched before having a chance to defend himself, and I really didn't think the chance of that was high by casting only the second vote.

As I said, I was hoping to generate more discussion, which has worked! Sort of (you at least now have reason to be suspicious of a few people so we have something to work with now, even though I didn't really get my desired result of the less talkative posting--though to be fair on that front it's only been half an hour since I voted :P ).

Anyway, once we hear from yuma I'll happily unvote, maybe for my intended goal def would have been a better voting target to avoid this bandwagon issue. I won't unvote right away though--with only 2 of 7 needed votes, I still see the lynching as a ways off, and we haven't heard from yuma yet.

Maybe expressing strong suspicions will generate the same level of discussion, but I do doubt it would have the same impact as vote--heck, it's stirred up more discussion from you than suspicion would have, right? Yours seems to be the first really substantive post we've had, and that's good for us townies, isn't it?
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 29, 2012, 12:12:16 pm »

Agreed with MichaelJB - actually voting is going to bring out more talk than vague suspicion. 

I also researched some outside f.ds mafia games to determine whether or not early voting was or was not uncommon.  After scouting 3 threads - I figured early voting was not out of line... here's an example: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22046

Of course, I because both Michael and Eevee both voted for yuma, I suspect them!  Michael for being the #2 poster and bandwagoning. 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.