Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Team dominion- new take  (Read 3157 times)

Serialian

• Steward
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Team dominion- new take
« on: May 23, 2012, 03:26:45 pm »
+2

I saw someone here posted team dominion variant and they said that it wasn't very different from the real game.

I've tried my own version of it that is different.

Here it is;

When you gain a card the card goes to your partner's deck/discard/hand not to your own.
At the end of the game the tally for both players are added together for a final score

It really changes how some cards play but not in a broken way, just in a different way. Suddenly mines are shoving your copper into your partner's hand as silver, develop is topdecking your partners next turn and nomad camp is helping your partner get you better cards early.

Possession would have the gained cards shoved to your partner, not you.

Attack cards are somewhat of a losing prospect but not entirely. Jester just got a lot friendlier. Even with sea hag you're doing damage to 2 foes and yourself, 2/3 ain't bad. Spy attacks are a boon for your partner. Minion's attack is a bit of a wash.

You can decide if you want one power deck and one green deck or green both decks somewhat. I'd imagine that would depend on both the card sets and the personality of the players.

Hinterlands made a few things tricky.

Border Village gives me a headache but I think that your partner would get the village and you'd get the freebie card.

Ill-gotten would give a curse to yourself and the ill-gotten to your partner I think

Cache would give yourself 2 copper and your partner the cache if I'm reading my own logic right.

Haggler would give both cards to your partner

Not sure if I got those logically right but you get the idea.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Team dominion- new take
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 03:36:44 pm »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=412.msg5431#msg5431

Didn't get many comments then....
Similar concepts have been discussed in other threads.
Also, as an aside, I freakishly remember stuff people have posted....

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 03:45:27 pm »

I bet he memorized the hyperlink too.

I like your idea.  A chapelled engine could spray an entire Gardens deck full of crap onto his teammate.  Might be overpowered, but who knows until you try.

I think in Team Dominion people should see their teammate's hands.  It helps make attacks more viable.  Militia hits two opponents and one teammate.  If you can see that your teammate has a Moat, or two estates, or even one estate, it could be buyable. 

EDIT: Holy crap, I followed the link, it goes to August 2011 and was a double paragraph post with 0 replies.
Freakish.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:47:48 pm by popsofctown »

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 03:56:53 pm »

Cards you buy your teammate gains, and vice versa.
A few Q's:
Whose deck would you count for Gardens?
Could you pass cards to your teammate via Masq?
Do you Possess your opponent, or your teammate when you play Possession?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Serialian

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:19:53 pm »

I even checked the forum before making the post to see if it was original. Oh well.

Possession and Masq would work the same as printed on the card. I assumed that it is arranged Team A, Team B, Team A, Team B so you are never directly interacting.

The idea of seeing your partner's hand I think isn't really workable IMO. It doesn't work well with possession and would be even worse if it was all the time. Plenty of card games make you make similar decisions without knowledge and I feel that 'table talk' should be forbidden.. but hell, it's your group, your rules. I think it's just the nature of the mutated beast that attack cards would be less interesting. Trying to band-aid the attacks with a special rules is a losing affair that would cause arguments.

As for gardens, vineyards, and fairgrounds I would have to expect they count whatever deck they are a part of.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:34:08 pm »
+1

If player A Ironworks an estate, and his teammate play B reveals a trader, does the blue cow jump over the red dog and explode?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:01:46 pm »

(Serious answer ftw)

Working under the regular Ironworks-Trader rules (when you replace Estate with Silver, Ironworks no longer knows anything about the card you were supposed to gain and you get nothing), the situation would be:

1. The Ironworks gain for player A is replaced by a Player B gain. I'm arguing that without Trader, player A gets +1 Card because Ironworks still knows that the card gained is an Estate. It's a change in player gaining the Estate, not a change in the card being gained, so the card is still "known information".

2. If player B reveals a Trader, then Ironworks will not know the card like in the regular Ironworks-Trader scenario and player A gets nothing. Player B gains a Silver instead, but Player A will actually gain it because of the gain-swapping.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Serialian

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:16:48 am »

Trader I hadn't considered at all. I think that titandrake has the right of it though.

The gain goes to player B, but the draw goes to player A.

Perhaps though the best solution may be to avoid Hinterlands cards as they seem to have the tendency to devolve into fisticuffs as players read the card differently. If you do play them I think a discussion of HOW the card works in scenarios would have to be done prior to actual gameplay each time because one person reading it wrong could really piss them off.

But I suppose including Hinterlands lets you get that turn 2 gold with the nomad camp and everyone wants that, right?

Just for completeness I would mention that fool's gold would still let you trash when your partner gains the province.

(other thoughts)

Thief now lets you trash your partners copper, but since the gained card goes back to him, he can snatch back any useful treasure. Brigand can actually shove coppers into your deck.

Saboteur is just as random as normal.

Governor would give the remade card to the partner or reward your partner with the gold and you with the silver

remodelers(upgrade, expand, remake) would switch cards between decks.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.