Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: albany ny yo  (Read 17569 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: albany ny yo
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2012, 06:24:19 pm »

The Beatles are nice and all, but have you heard about the word? It was my understanding that everyone had heard...

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2012, 06:25:59 pm »

Hey, I actually like Revolution 9.  Of course, it does stretch the definition of "song".
So the Possession analogy is perfect.  Interesting thought experiment: how could we completely blow up the idea of the song/game.  Up is down, left is right, good hands are bad hands, block that kick...

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2012, 09:29:10 pm »

Hey, I actually like Revolution 9.  Of course, it does stretch the definition of "song".
So the Possession analogy is perfect.  Interesting thought experiment: how could we completely blow up the idea of the song/game.  Up is down, left is right, good hands are bad hands, block that kick...

I think Rev 9 is actually less "out of left field" than most people think.  The thing is, one thing the Beatles did (and this is also one of the things that made them great) was look for inspiration and new sounds in a lot of areas which were pretty far from standard pop music.  The most famous and influential of these tangents, of course, was George Harrison's raga kick, but McCartney's olde-timey music-hall stuff and Lennon's exploration of Karlheinz Stockhausen's musique concrete (which of course is what "Revolution 9" is) really come from the same place.

Revolution 9 is no more out of place in the Beatles' discography than "Within You Without You".  Okay, maybe it's a tiny bit more out of place.  But not that much!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:35:49 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2012, 12:23:22 pm »
+1

i hope you mean that you like revolution 9 the same way you like transmute.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

i hope you mean that you like revolution 9 the same way you like transmute.

So, I was flipping through some classical music record buyer's guide one day a few years ago, and one of the appendices was giving an overview of some electronic and avant-garde music.  And they singled out "Revolution 9" as being just as technically accomplished, and more emotionally affecting, as most of Stockhausen's work.  And I have to agree- it's a sometimes food for sure, I'm not claiming it's better than "A Day In The Life" or anything, but when in the right frame of mind it's a genuinely powerful piece of music.  It absolutely succeeds on its own terms.

I personally happen to have a pretty deep interest in music that tries to break down the boundaries between "serious" and "popular", that brings classical techniques to a popular audience, or rock techniques into the concert hall.  These days it's folks like Bang on A Can, Bryce Dessner (of the National), and Sufjan Stevens who are most active in that sort of stuff, and they're among my favorite artists.  And honestly 99% of the time I prefer their stuff to Revolution 9.  But that doesn't mean I can't like Rev 9 too.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 20 queries.