Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website  (Read 152547 times)

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2012, 05:04:44 pm »

I'm guessing we'll finally see a use for Mott the Barber.
LOL, that was my game back in the day :)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2012, 05:14:13 pm »
+1

Fortune teller is NOT weak  >:(

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2012, 05:15:17 pm »

Not Weak Relative to what?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2012, 05:20:08 pm »

:) Oh good. I was kinda afraid that joke would fall flat. The "Johnny" thing to do back in the day was to try to build decks around Mott and barber poles. (And often Parallax Arguers)
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Copernicus

• Baron
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2012, 05:34:20 pm »

I started looking through Secret Histories for cards that were from Dark Ages and ran across this quote.

"Council Room: Originally the 4th expansion had a "non-attack player interaction" sub-theme. It was easily the best expansion, and it became clear that I should split that sucker up. The main set got this card."

Dark Ages always was the best expansion!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 24, 2012, 06:03:23 pm »

I started looking through Secret Histories for cards that were from Dark Ages and ran across this quote.

"Council Room: Originally the 4th expansion had a "non-attack player interaction" sub-theme. It was easily the best expansion, and it became clear that I should split that sucker up. The main set got this card."

Dark Ages always was the best expansion!

It got split and it still managed to be 35 kingdom cards!  Leviathan!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »

It got split and it still managed to be 35 kingdom cards!  Leviathan!

I don't know if this is right but I assume this got a piece of another expansion mixed in with it.

The way I figure it is, he said originally there were 8 sets. Then he started splitting sets in half to make minis. Now we're going to have 3 minis (which is like 1.5 sets), 5 full sets, and Dark Ages which is like a set and a half.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 24, 2012, 08:15:45 pm »

Not Weak Relative to what?

It's not weak relative to Scout and Thief.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #258 on: July 24, 2012, 08:19:52 pm »

Seems to me that Dominion as a game is almost entirely for Johnnies. It's all about building decks. I guess Spike can get behind this a bit too. But it's interesting that Jay liked it so much - he seems a Timmy.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2012, 08:23:22 pm »
+2

Might as well link the article about player profiles (Timmy, Johnny and Spike) for anyone who hasn't read it:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 24, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »

I go through moods.  Sometimes I want to win practically, sometimes I want to build elaborate engines.  Usually the latter.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Piemaster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 25, 2012, 03:19:57 am »

:) Oh good. I was kinda afraid that joke would fall flat. The "Johnny" thing to do back in the day was to try to build decks around Mott and barber poles. (And often Parallax Arguers)
I won a tournament with a Parallax Arguers/Duranja deck once.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 25, 2012, 09:55:27 am »

What is Mott the Barber from?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2012, 10:19:39 am »

For those unfamiliar with Magic lingo, Johnnies are players who like to win in 'cool' ways, using interesting combos and building decks around cards that are most-often considered useless.  They tend to think cards with a more blunt form of raw power are boring.

Ah, thank you for that clarification. I dropped out of Magic long before those terms came about (and apparently long before any of those cards and expansions mentioned in that one article).

I feel confident in saying that I'm a Johnny. When we first played Dominion, my wife routinely beat me because I was too busy playing while she focused on money. Of course, when my playing yielded some fascinating lessons, I was able to use those to wallop her big money.

Sometimes I still have my Johnny moments and will lose a game because of it. Donald's claim that Dark Ages is a Johnny set is kind of exciting. I remember how excited I was to see how Hinterlands encouraged diversity (which seemed to favor the Johnny).
A man has no signature

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2012, 11:23:29 am »

Star Trek: The Next Generation CCG, First Edition
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #265 on: July 25, 2012, 12:11:36 pm »

He's from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Sure, they made a worthless card of him, but the character originates in the show.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 25, 2012, 12:25:25 pm »
+1

Mott had terrible stats and his only ability was "Barbering" which wasn't mentioned on any other card or required for any missions. And then in the next expansion, there was an Event called "Barber Pole." The entirety of the text was "Plays on Table." Then there was another card that could give any one character the skill of barbering. The plan was to release one in each expansion, though the initial plan for the set got scrapped. When they finally released the "tying up loose ends set" they added a card called "A little off the top" I think that allowed you to use all the barber cards together for an effect that let you skim cards off your opponent's deck. It was pretty powerful, but really not worth it.

In the meantime, though, people found goofy ways to use the useless cards. Like putting Mott in a shuttlecraft with self destruct and using it as a guided missile.

And Parallax Arguers was this delightfully vague card that let you gain VP "if that was cool."

He/him

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2012, 12:27:27 pm »

Star Trek: The Next Generation CCG, First Edition

Mot.  One T.  Damn but I'm a nerd for knowing that.

He's cooler than Mott the Hoople, too.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2012, 12:38:38 pm »

Barber
Action - $2

Trash the top card of your deck.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 25, 2012, 12:45:32 pm »

It's perfect because it would combo really well with Scout and Spy.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 25, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »
+20

Scout ensures that those precious Estates won't be accidentally trashed by Barber.  Thank-you, Scout.  You have saved the day once again.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2012, 01:20:01 pm »

Scout ensures that those precious Estates won't be accidentally trashed by Barber.  Thank-you, Scout.  You have saved the day once again.

Would you prefer Navigator?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2012, 01:24:41 pm »

I'd prefer Cartographer, actually. It still has the potential for Lookout conundrum but I'd rather have the draw, the extra action and the reorder that Cartographer would afford.

I think this card is a realistic possibility for the Dark Ages theme but obviously with a different name.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2012, 01:40:51 pm »

I'd prefer Cartographer, actually. It still has the potential for Lookout conundrum but I'd rather have the draw, the extra action and the reorder that Cartographer would afford.

I think this card is a realistic possibility for the Dark Ages theme but obviously with a different name.

It's basically a more limited Lookout.  And I hate Lookout.  I said it as a joke.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2012, 04:09:43 pm »
+2

Mott had terrible stats and his only ability was "Barbering" which wasn't mentioned on any other card or required for any missions. And then in the next expansion, there was an Event called "Barber Pole." The entirety of the text was "Plays on Table." Then there was another card that could give any one character the skill of barbering. The plan was to release one in each expansion, though the initial plan for the set got scrapped. When they finally released the "tying up loose ends set" they added a card called "A little off the top" I think that allowed you to use all the barber cards together for an effect that let you skim cards off your opponent's deck. It was pretty powerful, but really not worth it.

In the meantime, though, people found goofy ways to use the useless cards. Like putting Mott in a shuttlecraft with self destruct and using it as a guided missile.

Actually the best use for Mot was not actually involving the card at all!  Because he had the Barbering skill, this made Barbering a valid choice for any card that said 'choose a skill' which had excellent applications for cards such as Terraforming Station (which could change the requirements of your opponents mission to Barbering) or Frame of Mind (?) which gave one of your opponent's personnel two skills of your choice.  From what I remember Barbering & Cantankerousness was the most common combo :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.