Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website  (Read 153330 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2012, 01:22:31 am »
+1

I sure hope nothing costs $1! That would make a number of potential ways for trashing etates/coppers more risky or at least not as helpful when those cards are in the supply. I recall, someone, in the commentaries Donald wrote about the other expansions that he deliberately said "gain a card costing exactly $1 more" so that you wouldn't end up drawing curses when you trash coppers or something to that extent.

I don't think there will be a $1, mostly because they will be generally worthless unless there is +buy. But I also remember how before Prosperity came out, everyone was quite sure that there would never be a $7 cost, and was also saying how it would ruin everything if there were!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:36 am »

For $2, we have a cantrip that lets you look at the bottom of your deck.  What could be so much less powerful than that to merit a $1 cost?  A card that just says +1 Card?  Or maybe just "Discard a card."  Besides the whole Remodel family issues with that cost, what shit-tastic card could you feasibly come up with to merit that cost?  And would anyone ever buy it?

The $7 cards just ruin Remodel family interactions, and mess with the Gold/Province dilemma.  But the things these cards do (for the most part) justify their cost.  I can't think of any Action that would justify a $1 cost.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2012, 02:08:14 am »
+1

For $2, we have a cantrip that lets you look at the bottom of your deck.  What could be so much less powerful than that to merit a $1 cost?  A card that just says +1 Card?  Or maybe just "Discard a card."  Besides the whole Remodel family issues with that cost, what shit-tastic card could you feasibly come up with to merit that cost?  And would anyone ever buy it?

The $7 cards just ruin Remodel family interactions, and mess with the Gold/Province dilemma.  But the things these cards do (for the most part) justify their cost.  I can't think of any Action that would justify a $1 cost.

If there is a $1 card, I fully expect that ruining Upgrade/Remake interactions will be a big rationale for its existence!

And it doesn't necessarily need to be an Action- a Copper-with-a-bonus Treasure might work, especially if that bonus is +Buy.  Or maybe it's a pure Reaction.  Or either Shelter or Ruins could be $1.  Upgrading those things into Estate seems like it'd make thematic sense, if nothing else.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2012, 04:10:09 am »

"+1 Buy"?

There's no reason $1 cards can't work: it's more design space to be explored.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2012, 05:38:51 am »

Maybe you could have a card costing 1 that was like Peddler and increased in certain circumstances

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2012, 06:40:44 am »

Could be as easy as a reverse Peddler.

Reverse Peddler - $1*
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

*This card costs $2 more for every action played this turn (counting this).

I'm not saying this is a good or balanced card (far from it), but the idea of a card that gets more expensive can be fun.
It has fun interactions with trash for benefits. Play two of these cards and you can Remake (if Remake is the 3rd card, this card is worth $7) two more into Provinces!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2012, 08:03:38 am »
+2

Too many people assume $1 must be something extremely bad, worse than something costing $2. That doesn't really have to be the case. It could be something to reward extra buys (e.g. I had a card that cost $1 in a fan expansion which gave you an extra turn and skipped your cleanup phase when bought, and a few other things), to mess with upgrade effects, or various other possible reasons.

It could well be that Shelters are a $1 card, you know.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2012, 11:11:15 am »

Could be as easy as a reverse Peddler.

Reverse Peddler - $1*
Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

*This card costs $2 more for every action played this turn (counting this).

I'm not saying this is a good or balanced card (far from it), but the idea of a card that gets more expensive can be fun.
It has fun interactions with trash for benefits. Play two of these cards and you can Remake (if Remake is the 3rd card, this card is worth $7) two more into Provinces!

Actually that card is very interesting, because it's awesome for its price the first couple times you buy it, but gets progressively harder to buy at that price (once you play a few reverse peddlers the price of an additional one gets pretty steep). This would be great in curse-heavy games.

By the way, to be a true reverse peddler the cost adjustment would only occur during the buy phase.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2012, 01:23:40 pm »
+1

I'm expecting Rubble to be like that fan card I saw once, "0$ Action - +1 Action.  Trash this card"

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2012, 01:32:21 pm »

By the way, to be a true reverse peddler the cost adjustment would only occur during the buy phase.

I beg to differ: the cost adjustment would occur in every phase EXCEPT for the buy phase.  ;)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2012, 02:23:05 pm »

Did anyone else notice the game's length is measured in "minutes minutes"?
Physics students in the room can read that as, "minutes squared." Apparently, Rio Grande has admitted to how grossly off the 30 minute length was and has started measuring time in the fifth dimension as well. Has anyone else figured out how square minutes work? I certainly can't.

On topic though, I'm pretty excited. 500 cards, 35 kingdom cards, Shelters, and Ruins make (35*10 + 35 + 24 + 30) 439 cards announced right off the bat. That leaves us with 61 undefined cards in the set: Plenty of room for all kinds of "upgrade" shenanigans.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2012, 02:29:11 pm »
+1

On topic though, I'm pretty excited. 500 cards, 35 kingdom cards, Shelters, and Ruins make (35*10 + 35 + 24 + 30) 439 cards announced right off the bat. That leaves us with 61 undefined cards in the set: Plenty of room for all kinds of "upgrade" shenanigans.

I'm fully expecting a stack of 60 cards each labeled "Undefined," with no art.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Gansura

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2012, 02:38:31 pm »
+1

I'm fully expecting a stack of 60 cards each labeled "Undefined," with no art.

That would cause... Confusion.
http://instantyeah.org/

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2012, 02:45:24 pm »
+1

I beg to differ: the cost adjustment would occur in every phase EXCEPT for the buy phase.  ;)

Why stop there?

Relddep:
Discard one card
-1 action
-$1

david707

• Baron
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2012, 06:45:24 am »

Joe Childers (MainiacJoe) on BGG mentioned Baron, which is really good point. Assume Donald knew about Shelter's when he made Baron, I thought of several "solutions":

1. Baron is a bad card when playing with shelters instead of estates
2. Shelters are actually named "Estate Shelter" or "Estate - Shelter".
3. You get to choose whether to start with 3 Estates or 3 Shelters in your deck, both are in the supply :D

(I see to remember Shelters replace Estates in your starting deck" sometimes, it'd be quite cool if you got the choice)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2012, 08:58:49 am »

Once again, is there any reason we're assuming that all three of your starting Estates are replaced with Shelters rather than just one or two?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2012, 09:02:44 am »
+6

Once again, is there any reason we're assuming that all three of your starting Estates are replaced with Shelters rather than just one or two?
Is there any reason we're assuming anything? I think this is just getting thrown out as wild speculation because we're bored, we're interested, we want something to talk about, and we have very little solid information. But no, I don't think there's any reason to assume that.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2012, 09:05:47 am »

Is there any reason we're assuming anything? I think this is just getting thrown out as wild speculation because we're bored, we're interested, we want something to talk about, and we have very little solid information. But no, I don't think there's any reason to assume that.
+1 for, well, telling the truth.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2012, 01:26:34 am »

The only assumption I'm making is that the card will have been tested and balanced.

I don't see any fundamental problem with a $1 card - it would force rethinking certain upgrade paths but most new expansions force rethinking how older cards work. 

Fundamentally, the key to this set would seem to hinge on how cards that care about the Trash are handled.  Removing cards from the trash, checking the contents of the trash, and checking the number of cards in the trash are all different concepts.

Consider Example:  Dumpster Diver ($X) - Action -

Under the first:  Gain a Trashed Card
Under the second:   Gain a Copy of a Trashed Card
Under the third:  You May Gain a Card Costing $1 for every 3 Trashed Cards

With the first the card is no longer in the trash (and unavailable for anybody else).  With the second the card remains trashed but a copy is removed from the supply.  In the third case the card becomes more powerful as the number of cards in the trash grows.

In any case, the expansion is going to make us pay attention to the trash.  Something is going to get reconsidered, probably trash for benefit cards (e.g. Bishop), mass trashers (e.g. Chapel), or upgraders (e.g. Remake).  More importantly, expansion sets tend to have cards that work well together.  The same-set combos of trash / upgrade seem quite interesting.

JohnnySmash

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2012, 11:27:05 pm »

I'd like them to make a 1 cost card, would be interesting with multiple buys and with some cards like Upgrade.  Here's my idea:

Super Loan (1)
Action
+1 Action
+2$
Trash this.

So basically it's a silver you can only use once.  Worth getting with multiple buys, worth getting when you only have 2 or 1 money, doesn't bloat your deck like crappy terminal 2's like Duchess, but also doesn't feel overpowered as a 1-cost card since you would never ever buy it when you have 3 money like many 2's (because you could just get a silver).

edit: also would work with the trash theme in the set although i'm sure if there's a trash theme there's already a few one-shots.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:35:05 pm by JohnnySmash »

Ulthwithian

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

Hmm.

Did anyone else get a Masquerade/Ambassador vibe from the Beggar text?

I have several thoughts on possible card text for a Beggar, mostly based on this.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »
+1

Hmm.

Did anyone else get a Masquerade/Ambassador vibe from the Beggar text?

I have several thoughts on possible card text for a Beggar, mostly based on this.

So will Estate Tennis turn into Shelter Tennis?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2012, 05:23:40 pm »

I vote for Shelter Badminton.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »

I vote for Shelter Badminton.

Sheltercock. Kind of works.

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2012, 06:36:36 pm »

Expansion sets are usually defined by their victory card and cursing card, playing on their themes.  It would suggest something like this...

Ravine ($X - Victory):  Worth 1 VP per every X card in the trash

Plague ($X - Action - Attack):  Trash this Card.  Each Other Player Reveals Their Hand and Gains A Curse for Each Victory Card in Hand (or Shows a Hand with No Victory Cards)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.