Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website  (Read 152565 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:23:40 am »
+12

Didn't see a topic about it yet, so for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=421

Times have been hard. To save on money, you've moved out of your old castle, and into a luxurious ravine. You didn't like that castle anyway; it was always getting looted, and never at a reasonable hour. And if it wasn't barbarians it was the plague, or sometimes both would come at once, and there wouldn't be enough chairs. The ravine is great; you get lots of sun, and you can just drop garbage wherever you want. In your free time you've taken up begging. Begging is brilliant conceptually, but tricky in practice, since no-one has any money. You beg twigs from the villagers, and they beg them back, but no-one really seems to come out ahead. That's just how life is sometimes. You're quietly conquering people, minding your own business, when suddenly there's a plague, or barbarians, or everyone's illiterate, and it's all you can do to cling to some wreckage as the storm passes through. Still, you are sure that, as always, you will triumph over this adversity, or at least do slightly better than everyone else.

This is the 7th addition to the game of Dominion. It is 500 cards but is not a standalone. It adds 35 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, plus new bad cards you give to other players (Ruins), new cards to replace starting Estates (Shelters), and cards you can only get via specific other cards. The central themes are the trash and upgrading. There are cards that do something when trashed, cards that care about the trash, cards that upgrade themselves, and ways to upgrade other cards.

Mmm... so, 35 Kingdom Cards, seem to remember that's about what I expected. That means 385 cards accounted for, plus two for each victory card. Then there are Shelters, which there's at least 12 of (probably >=18 of for 6 player), and Ruins, which could really be any number... but either way that leaves about 100 cards between Ruins, cards only gained cards from other cards, extra Shelters and anything else I've missed.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:42:09 am »

That's interesting news. Sounds like there is some new Curse variant plus some Moaty Estate variant (at least "Shelter" sounds somehat Moaty...). And cards that care about the trash... wow, didn't expect this to happen.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:53:28 am »

So for those of us that haven't been endless readers of the Variants forum, could someone give an executive summary of what "care about the trash" ideas have seemed interesting/viable and what design challenges people have found?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 09:04:53 am »

"Cards that care about the trash"

Who said this couldn't be done?!?
I've always been a fan and welcome this new expansion into the family.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:22:32 am »

Cards that care about the trash does not necessarily mean cards that come back from the trash. Somebody said not long ago that there was a card which cared about thief having cards go into the trash before going to the other player....

So much to over-analyze here. Let the wild speculation begin!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:53:35 am »

Then there are Shelters, which there's at least 12 of (probably >=18 of for 6 player)

Why do you assume that ALL of your starting Estates will be replaced with Shelters? It could just be 1 or 2 per player.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:27:51 am by LastFootnote »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 10:33:43 am »
+1

Cards that care about the trash does not necessarily mean cards that come back from the trash. Somebody said not long ago that there was a card which cared about thief having cards go into the trash before going to the other player....

So much to over-analyze here. Let the wild speculation begin!

I had thought of a card that was worth 1 VP for every 3 cards in the Trash.  But that has to be viable even when there aren't any trashers on the table, so having it be Action-Victory with "Trash a card from your hand" above the line makes it better.  I have no idea what this would cost.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 10:42:32 am »
+4

Upgrading?! my simulator won't be happy

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:48:55 am »

The line about not having enough chairs for the barbarians and the plague made me laugh out loud.  We need a poll on which expansion has the best "flavor paragraph" describing it.

Any intel yet on when this hits stores?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:37:06 am »

The line about not having enough chairs for the barbarians and the plague made me laugh out loud.  We need a poll on which expansion has the best "flavor paragraph" describing it.

"The eggs are on the table."
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:43:59 am »

So, does that mean we can expect "Trash a card from your hand. Each other player gains a curse"? Or perhaps "Trash this card. Each other player gains a curse"?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:53:43 am »

So, does that mean we can expect "Trash a card from your hand. Each other player gains a curse Ruin"? Or perhaps "Trash this card. Each other player gains a curse Ruin"?

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:56:16 am »

Let's all speculate about Ruin now!

I am going to say it is an anti-green card, so that it not only cancels out 1vp (like curse does) but one Victory CARD, which could be an estate or duchy....etc.

Any more takers?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 11:59:17 am »

I don't know about Ruins, but I'm pretty sure Shelter will be a Victory card worth 0 VP.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »

I don't know about Ruins, but I'm pretty sure Shelter will be a Victory card worth 0 VP.
Why? Other than it having the victory type, this would make it functionally equivalent to Confusion.
I'm going to guess it has some other functionality. Like, it has some drawback compared to estate, but protects you from ruins?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 12:09:00 pm »

Think we might finally have a way to gain cards from the trash?? I know that Donald (or was it Rinkworks?) has specifically said before that it was a bad idea because you almost always only have bad things in the trash, unless you get crazy lucy to get a Saboteur'd Province from the trash, in which case it's too much variance. But if there's a lot more trash-for-benefit type stuff, then you can expect the trash to be a bit better than normal.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Newcomer

• Baron
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:30 pm »

Maybe Shelter is a 0 VP card, and you start with 3 (or more or fewer) VP chips. This would grant a stronger incentive to upgrade your cards. It could also enable a VP chip-'trashing' attack. Ruins could involve removing VP chips.

Buuuuut, this definitely sounds more complicated than Prosperity.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »

Maybe Shelter is a 0 VP card, and you start with 3 (or more or fewer) VP chips. This would grant a stronger incentive to upgrade your cards. It could also enable a VP chip-'trashing' attack. Ruins could involve removing VP chips.

Pretty sure we aren't going to see VP chips again. Hasn't Donald said that, like durations, this is a mechanic we won't see again?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 12:13:42 pm »
+2

Ruins are probably just going to be the old Confusion idea, now that there are spare cards to print them, though probably with more bells and whistles, like other cards counting how many Ruins (or Shelters, for that matter) are in the trash. I'm almost sure there is going to something about Shelters in the trash, since why else would they have to be in your starting deck?

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 12:19:50 pm »

Pretty sure we aren't going to see VP chips again. Hasn't Donald said that, like durations, this is a mechanic we won't see again?

I'm pretty sure that, unlike Durations, he hasn't explicitly ruled it out. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 12:26:27 pm »

He has ruled out any extra "bits" (see: tokens and/or mats) for Dark Ages though. That's why it has so many cards.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 12:32:42 pm »

He has ruled out any extra "bits" (see: tokens and/or mats) for Dark Ages though. That's why it has so many cards.

Ah, gotcha.  Maybe for Guilds then.  Or maybe they're indeed not coming back, which like Durations would be a shame.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 01:18:03 pm »
+1

I would imagine that there will be a card that can gain from the trash, and it could also be a card that could Upgrade itself (or is tied to such a card, a la Young Witch and its bane).  Upgrading would be "trash this, gain that (not in the supply)."  And then you could use a "gain from trash" to re-gain an upgradable card.  Maybe a card could upgrade into one of multiple things, so you would actually NEED to gain it from the trash in order to get more copies of something else.

You could care about the trash as an attack.  "Choose a card in the trash.  Each opponent gets a copy of it from the supply."  Or you can just force each opponent to gain a card from the trash.

There could be a Forge-like card that combines cost of X items in the trash -- think of it as making the most of the scraps available, as you might have to do in hard times.

I figure Barbarians and Plague are going to be new attack cards.  Maybe Beggar, also.

This is exciting.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 01:23:59 pm »

Really excited to see what shelters are as they can replace estates (they obviously dont have to because that would be a rules change, or maybe they have a prosperity rule attached to them or a young witch rule attached to them)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 01:45:53 pm »

I'm thinking Shelter will be an upgradeable card - maybe one or more Kingdom cards will play with Shelters.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.