Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website  (Read 152575 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Dark Ages on Rio Grande Games' Website
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 04:37:55 pm »
+6

So there's two interpretations of "upgrading", and we seem to be focusing on one of them—i.e., effects like the card Upgrade (or Remodel or whatever), where you trash a card and gain a better card. Another possibility is that "upgrading" refers to cards that get better themselves, rather than being trashed and replaced by new cards. In existing sets there are already City, Trade Route, and Pirate Ship as cards that get "upgraded" in this sense.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 04:41:03 pm »

Just because the theme is upgrading/trash doesnt mean all the cards have to be on theme. I mean, seaside's theme is next turn, but that only really applies to maybe half of the cards in the set.

Also I trust Donald to handle the trash in a well done manner. Just because most fan cards have done it poorly doesn't mean it can't be done. And if the set introduces new mechanics, that could help circumvent some of the issues as well.

Agreed on both counts, yeah.  Still, you'd expect at least half the cards in a set to be on-theme, and maybe more.  Even with only, say, 10 cards on-theme, that's WAY more interesting possibilities for upgrading and trash-caring than I figured were left.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 04:47:11 pm »

So there's two interpretations of "upgrading", and we seem to be focusing on one of them—i.e., effects like the card Upgrade (or Remodel or whatever), where you trash a card and gain a better card. Another possibility is that "upgrading" refers to cards that get better themselves, rather than being trashed and replaced by new cards. In existing sets there are already City, Trade Route, and Pirate Ship as cards that get "upgraded" in this sense.

I'm thinking more on the lines of Feast, but with specific upgrade paths, i.e. buy A from supply, trash it to get B* (not in supply), trash that to get C* (not in supply).  The description did mention many cards that "you can only get via specific other cards".

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2012, 06:52:32 pm »

I'm thinking more on the lines of Feast, but with specific upgrade paths, i.e. buy A from supply, trash it to get B* (not in supply), trash that to get C* (not in supply).  The description did mention many cards that "you can only get via specific other cards".

That's what I'm expecting as well. It will be evolving Pokemons all over again!

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 06:54:31 pm »
+1

Looks like my dream wasn't too crazy... Just got the wrong expansion...

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2432.msg37776#msg37776

Ed

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 07:14:21 pm »
+1

That's what I'm expecting as well. It will be evolving Pokemons all over again!

The correct plural of Pokemon is actually just Pokemon. ;)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 07:49:14 pm »

Magician
Action - Reaction ($4)
"Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card with equal or lower cost."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"When a card is placed on a pile, you may reveal this card from your hand and discard it. If you…
-Trashed a card, gain it (to your Discard pile)
-Gained a card, place it on your deck
-Placed a card on your deck, place it in your hand"
Cool! Play Magician, trash a Fool's Gold, reveal  Magician, gain it, reveal Magician, put it on deck, reveal Magician, put it into hand!
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 08:27:37 pm »

This could very well be it.  But it would be interesting if some B*'s were actually the upgrades to multiple As.  Or at least I think it could be interesting.  Imagine two very different As that can both upgrade to the same B (they would probably cost the same, or would have different upgrade conditions to cover the discrepancy).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 09:00:02 pm »

This could very well be it.  But it would be interesting if some B*'s were actually the upgrades to multiple As.  Or at least I think it could be interesting.  Imagine two very different As that can both upgrade to the same B (they would probably cost the same, or would have different upgrade conditions to cover the discrepancy).

Sure.  And maybe an A can upgrade into B1 or B2.  There could be a multiple branching paths.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »

Sure.  And maybe an A can upgrade into B1 or B2.  There could be a multiple branching paths.

Branching paths.... *googley eyes*
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:32 pm »

Just because the theme is upgrading/trash doesnt mean all the cards have to be on theme. I mean, seaside's theme is next turn, but that only really applies to maybe half of the cards in the set.

Eh

Treasure Map - Golds next turn
Pirate Ship - offtheme
Treasury - Peddle next turn
Ghost Ship - Draw your crap next turn
Ambassador - offtheme
Native Village - Store up for later turns
Fishing Village -
Island - Offtheme
Embargo - Offtheme
Haven -
Outpost -
Lookout - prepare a good draw for next turn
Navigator - prepare a good draw for next turn
Warehouse - offtheme
Wharf -
Explorer - offtheme
Sea Hag - Draw a curse next turn
Smugglers - offtheme
Pearl Diver - Draw a pearl next turn
Caravan -
Merchant Ship -
Salvager - offtheme
Bazaar - offtheme
Cutpurse - offtheme
Lighthouse -
Tactician -

16/26 are on-theme by my count.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 09:15:38 pm »
+1

Branching paths.... *googley eyes*

:o :o :o

Yeah I know but...

So much to over-analyze here. Let the wild speculation begin!

;D

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 09:19:52 pm »

Pirate Ship - offtheme
Ambassador - offtheme
Island - Offtheme
Embargo - Offtheme
Warehouse - offtheme
Explorer - offtheme
Smugglers - offtheme
Salvager - offtheme
Bazaar - offtheme
Cutpurse - offtheme

Pirate Ship sort of affects a turn way down the line, in that you keep building it up over time.
Embargo has an affect on purchases on all future turns.
Smugglers works in a backwards sort of way -- if your opponent has Smugglers, what you buy this turn may affect their next turn.
Cutpurse works in that it can affect your opponent's next turn.

I admit, those are all a bit of a stretch.  :P

Gansura

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 09:49:30 pm »

From the Secret History of Prosperity

Quote from: DonaldX
$5; City. As printed except for wording. The idea for this card came from the Seaside outtake that cared about the trash, and of course Trade Route. I needed cards in the set that interacted with other players but weren't attacks, so I could have fewer attacks overall (so that Colony would usually be reachable) but still have enough interaction. One thing to do is to look at shared data - the piles. Trade Route cares if a pile isn't full; this cares if a pile is empty. Those were just the two simplest things to check.

Looks like the combination of upgradeable cards and cards that cared about the trash have been intertwined for quite a while...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 10:51:05 pm »

Pirate Ship - offtheme
Ambassador - offtheme
Island - Offtheme
Embargo - Offtheme
Warehouse - offtheme
Explorer - offtheme
Smugglers - offtheme
Salvager - offtheme
Bazaar - offtheme
Cutpurse - offtheme

Pirate Ship sort of affects a turn way down the line, in that you keep building it up over time.
Embargo has an affect on purchases on all future turns.
Smugglers works in a backwards sort of way -- if your opponent has Smugglers, what you buy this turn may affect their next turn.
Cutpurse works in that it can affect your opponent's next turn.

I admit, those are all a bit of a stretch.  :P

In addition, Island saves things for a later date.  And Pirate Ship very very very much is about future turns - buying a Pirate Ship is really more of an investment than anything else, and if you use it right, it pays off.  I've gotten PS's all the way up to yielding $8 sometimes, and then I just buy a Province every turn.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2012, 01:33:57 am »

Magician
Action - Reaction ($4)
"Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card with equal or lower cost."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"When a card is placed on a pile, you may reveal this card from your hand and discard it. If you…
-Trashed a card, gain it (to your Discard pile)
-Gained a card, place it on your deck
-Placed a card on your deck, place it in your hand"
Cool! Play Magician, trash a Fool's Gold, reveal  Magician, gain it, reveal Magician, put it on deck, reveal Magician, put it into hand!

Actually no. You have to discard the Magician after you reveal it.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2012, 03:21:18 am »

My speculation along these lines: of the 35 kingdom cards, only 25 are regular cards coming with randomizers. This would fit with usual numbers. Now 10 of these 25 cards are upgradable, and whenever one of this card is in the supply, the upgraded version comes also in the supply, but can be gained only in a very specific way.

How you can get the upgraded version depends on the card. An random example to explain what I mean (didn't try to balance the card)

Small town (cost 4, +2 action, +1 card).
During your clean-up phase, if you bought at least a victory card, trash this card and gain a Town

Town (cost 4*, +2 action, +2 cards)
Cannot be bought/gained in any other way than trashing a small town
Designer of Chronos Conquest

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2012, 03:26:12 am »

My speculation along these lines: of the 35 kingdom cards, only 25 are regular cards coming with randomizers. This would fit with usual numbers. Now 10 of these 25 cards are upgradable, and whenever one of this card is in the supply, the upgraded version comes also in the supply, but can be gained only in a very specific way.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, except I don't think the upgraded version(s) would count as part of the supply.  Cards in the supply must be available for purchase.  If you must gain them in other, special ways, they are separate from the Supply.  Examples include Tournament prizes and cards in the Black Market.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2012, 03:42:35 am »

That mechanic would also make it really easy to interact with the trash, since the trash would accumulate all these useful intermediate stages of cards, which could be counted or gained or whatever.

Of course, some of the weaker trash-interaction cards might turn out to be the new Scouts, useful only with multiple other cards from their own expansion. But hey, that's not really a problem, nothing wrong with a set having a few weak or situational cards.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2012, 03:52:17 am »

Does Shelter sound a little bit like Island to anyone else?  Imagine an Island that costs 3 that can't be set aside with another card, but only on it's own.

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 04:04:07 am »

BUM
$4
Action - reaction

If you play this, you gain $1 this turn for every 3 cards in the trash.
When another player trashes a card, you may reveal this card. If you do, pick up that card from the trash.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2012, 04:04:41 am »

That's pretty much what I'm thinking, except I don't think the upgraded version(s) would count as part of the supply.  Cards in the supply must be available for purchase.  If you must gain them in other, special ways, they are separate from the Supply.  Examples include Tournament prizes and cards in the Black Market.

You're right, that's much better (having the upgraded versions in the supply would allow them to count for the 3-piles ending, but anyway these piles would be hard to empty).
Designer of Chronos Conquest

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2012, 04:08:12 am »

Yeah, I think they're like Prizes.

Maybe you can upgrade a simple Guard Tower -> Keep -> Fortress -> Castle or something like that.
With multiple upgrades. It could give you a choice when you play the card:

Either
- Get the normal action, let's say +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1
- Trash the card and get the upgraded version (but wait a round to play it), so you could get another card which has for instance +1 Card, +1 Action, +2 Buys. +$2

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2012, 04:45:22 am »

Or both! A card that upgrades itself every time it's played.

Maybe then it starts out weak, at just +1 card +1 action, then after you play it once it turns into into a Peddler equivalent, then after you play it twice it's a market, after you play it three times it's a grand market.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2012, 07:19:37 am »
+2

Does Shelter sound a little bit like Island to anyone else?  Imagine an Island that costs 3 that can't be set aside with another card, but only on it's own.

Does a card that we know nothing about other than the name and that sometimes it will replace Estates at the beginning of the game sound like Island? No. Not at all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.