Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: I don't know what this thread has turned into (was Making it to Level 42 -Lvl 5)  (Read 49410 times)

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile

Next time you play him ask him why does he chooses opponents so. He seems to be a very good player and would be near top anyway.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Lailoken

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile

Warning:  slightly off-topic, but I wasn't sure where else to post this.

It seems like most people (with the possible exception of Blooki?) have found that automatch brings their rank towards roughly 25 (i.e., towards the rough center of the distribution of possible rankings).  Players ranked lower than the mid-20s generally seem to move up when they start playing only (or mostly) automatch, while players ranked higher than the mid-20s generally move down.  Admittedly, this is based on a very small sample size—the people who've posted here, and my friends in RL who play on isotropic.

Does this pattern make sense, and/or do people think I am imagining this pattern?  Can anyone explain why automatch might do this?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page

I play a lot of automatch, though not exclusively automatch, and I'm at level 40 as of today. Dunno what I'd be if I didn't automatch.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile

I have used automatch all but exclusively since it was implemented, and my level has been on a continuous upward trajectory since I started keeping track of it on March 18, which was long before automatch was implemented.  (There have been a few downward-trending days, but the overall trend is up)

I'd be more than willing to suggest that "most people" are actually level 25s, and therefore will tend to gravitate towards that when they play enough matches.

However, if someone were to post the date of the introduction of automatch, and it is within a week of june 5, then i may have to revise my statement.

*I Found a post on BGG referencing automatch on May 14, which indicates that my dip during the week of june 5 was unrelated to automatch
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:03:50 pm by rod- »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile

If you are searching for random data points, I'll add mine.

I was around 24-25 before automatch, and I now hover around 19-21, so I went down.   However, I think this has more to do with me playing less, which has increased my variance, and probably also made my actual level of play drop.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile

So i had an opportunity to play vs. tat and did ask him some questions.

me: you usually don't play high ranked players, why so?
tat: coz there are few top players when i appear
me: they say that you reject their invitations
tat: i do have preferences over cards, so i dun play some card set

When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile

I had a game against tat a few days ago too, actually. We both opened chapel/silver, and then on our first $5s I got a Mountebank and he got I think a Laboratory. By turn 14 I had four provinces and he had none, and he resigned (reasonable) saying I got lucky (not very reasonable).

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile

#1 with a bullet.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile

FWIW, I was automatched against tat fairly recently, when my level was somewhere between 34 and 37, and he accepted and won, 3 to -1. I thought he played quite well, though I also thought he was beatable.

Only one data point, of course, but I'm pretty sure that claims that he is not a good player or that he never plays anyone above level 15 are not true.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, can you find me a post where either of those claims is made? It's possible I missed it.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile

I had a game against tat a few days ago too, actually. We both opened chapel/silver, and then on our first $5s I got a Mountebank and he got I think a Laboratory. By turn 14 I had four provinces and he had none, and he resigned (reasonable) saying I got lucky (not very reasonable).

Huh, it's an interesting game:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110821-223759-788f4a2c.html

Very unusual, with both of your Chapels landing in turn 5.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile

I think he legitimately got unlucky. Mountebank was his second $5 buy, but it was swallowed by his only native village, which delayed it, he never got to discard curses to avoid mountebank for ages, and his two chapels never let him trash any estates until turn 9 despite having the laboratory to support it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:17:47 pm by Fangz »

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile

And his two chapels collided the shuffle right after he bought his second chapel.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.