Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: another round of province tennis  (Read 1714 times)

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
another round of province tennis
« on: May 18, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/18/game-20120518-175534-ef248105.html

I'm sure I didn't play it close to optimally, but dang, possession/ambassador games are hard to figure out. I won primarily because I bought bishop which allowed me to chew provinces for vp while still passing his provinces to me. Can somebody tell me what to do here, I figure that mint was a misplay.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: another round of province tennis
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:44:46 pm »

I wonder if this is a kingdom where Ambassador is skippable. With no way to increase hand size, engine potential is limited. VP chip cards like Bishop are good against Possession, so I'm not very scared of Possession either. Also, if your opponent is pseudo-trashing with Ambassador, then you can play Bishop freely and he won't trash to it.

Edit: On the other hand, playing 5 Bazaars, then Ambassador on a Curse (returning 0 to the supply), Bishop on a Gold, buy a Gold... is scary.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:53:50 pm by blueblimp »

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:18:27 pm »

All my comments are in complete hindsight: in real life I would have done the opening and then just improvised.

But I think you want to open amb/quarry. if amb/silver/amb is competitive, then so should amb/quarry/amb. And the thing is, that early quarry should give you a big early economy boost. Hopefully that will allow you to grab a bazaar (or at least a spice merchant). In any event, it should really help you win the bazaar race, which sounds important (though not enough, as the log shows). But being able to grab stuff while ambing/bishopping via quarry even makes me wonder if you don't want two (they also help for getting possession)

Long term, go heavy on bishop, attempting a golden-deck with a potential possession splash, depending on how the trashing works. Go heavy on possession if the other player goes BM. Race for golden deck if he goes bishop.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:01:47 am »
+1

I might be tempted by ambassador/spice merchant followed by ironworks. There is no need to buy silver here and double ambassador almost inevitably takes you through silver. From there you can gain mining villages while thinning down and then take bishops or a potion. You can still look for opportunities to win this game in four different ways with province buying, punitive deck expansion,  possession, and bishop points, going from least to most likely. There's no point ignoring an easy option though if your opponent underplays the kingdom.

Your 5 coin hand could have been a bazaar, ironworks, or quarry and they are all progressive.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:06:48 am by DG »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.