Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Geronimoo's challenges - What's with the Counting House?  (Read 3045 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator

A few days ago I came across a very interesting board and got crushed. I guess I suck at interesting... do you suck less??

Challenge- End the game on Colonies in the fewest number of turns (points = tiebreaker). You have to open $4/$3 on this board:

Bridge, Cartographer, Colony, Counting House, Haven, Menagerie, Pawn, Pearl Diver, Peddler, Platinum, Trading Post, Worker's Village

One entry with the isotropic log (as a personal message) only per person, deadline friday 5/25. Bonus points if you used Counting House (nah, just kidding :) )
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:45:56 am by Geronimoo »

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Geronimoo's challenges - What's with the Counting House?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »

One (good) Challenge done for the day.  8) Time to go find another. ;D
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Geronimoo's challenges - What's with the Counting House?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 04:43:59 am »

Results!!

I received a few entries with +/-20 turns where players thought it might be done a little faster. It turns out it can be done a lot faster!

In third place we have Schneau with 13 turns and 146 points. He opens Bridge/Pawn, gets a fast Trading Post and then works towards a mega turn with Worker's Villages/Bridges supported by the drawing engine of Menagerie (and a few Cartographers).

In second place there's DG finishing in 13 turns and scoring 147 points. He opens Bridge/Haven!! Then pretty much the same strategy as Schneau to achieve the mega turn. He buys a Platinum and a Colony before the final turn and gets a few Havens (which I thought were going to be crucial to trigger Menagerie, but obviously they aren't so much).

And the winner is GigaKnight. He ends in 13 turns scoring 153 points!!! He opens Bridge/Menagerie (at least I got the opening right in the real game) and proceeeds along the same path as the others. Only difference I see is more Pawns and he agressively trashes 2 Silvers with Trading Post a few times (but this might be coincidence). Congrats!!!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Wow, well done all. I was impressed with my 21/143 submission (though I knew I was short).  Still, I felt I had done decently, and honestly I followed a similar strategy. It just felt I would need nearly 9 each of Cartographer, Haven, Bridge, Worker's Village, and Menagerie. I'm really surprised this one could be downed so quickly. I applaud you all. +1.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
+1

The key here was definitely Trading Post / Menagerie. Without Trading Post, there's no way to trash your duplicate Treasures / Estates to ensure big draws with Menagerie. DG and I have almost identical last turns, with enough buys for the Colonies, Provinces, and 6 Duchies - the difference is that he held onto one Estate to make his Menageries have more variety to hit! Good job all!

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile

Oh, wow, I won.  Cool!  I really like your challenges Geronimoo; I feel like there's a clear overarching strategy but your card selections allow for several different approaches.  I learn a ton while tuning my entries.

Looking at the logs, yeah, the extra pawns did it with the +Buys.  Looking at the second and third place logs, I have a couple of thoughts.  I'd love to hear other opinions on this:

- Multiple Silvers feels sooo dangerous to me.  Unless you also have enough Havens or Trading Posts also in-hand, that automatically sinks your Menageries; it'll kill an otherwise-smooth run, which is why I trashed so aggressively.
 - I also quickly decided the Peddlers were totally extraneous, since buys are the limiting factor in a sufficiently-bridge-powered engine.  In retrospect, I should have picked up at least one for free.  It would have increased the card diversity and given me extra spend to help finish building the engine.

Obviously the primary key to this challenge is managing deck diversity.  With no +Cards other than Menagerie, it's all about triggering them so you can actually draw all your WV / Bridges.  Pawns are great for this; they can either disappear or draw a card, depending on what you need at the moment.

The secondary key, IMO, is deck balance.  With no TR / KC, the only way to play enough Bridges is to actually have them and have the same number of Worker's Villages.  I also found that it was often essential to play a single Worker's Village to play a single Bridge to trigger a Menagerie.  Maybe that was obvious to some people but I'm used to megaturns being "draw everything, play everything, buy stuff" and this was much more of a "draw and play as you go" engine.  It was lots of fun!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile

Oh, wow, I won.  Cool!  I really like your challenges Geronimoo; I feel like there's a clear overarching strategy but your card selections allow for several different approaches.  I learn a ton while tuning my entries.

Looking at the logs, yeah, the extra pawns did it with the +Buys.  Looking at the second and third place logs, I have a couple of thoughts.  I'd love to hear other opinions on this:

- Multiple Silvers feels sooo dangerous to me.  Unless you also have enough Havens or Trading Posts also in-hand, that automatically sinks your Menageries; it'll kill an otherwise-smooth run, which is why I trashed so aggressively.
 - I also quickly decided the Peddlers were totally extraneous, since buys are the limiting factor in a sufficiently-bridge-powered engine.  In retrospect, I should have picked up at least one for free.  It would have increased the card diversity and given me extra spend to help finish building the engine.

Obviously the primary key to this challenge is managing deck diversity.  With no +Cards other than Menagerie, it's all about triggering them so you can actually draw all your WV / Bridges.  Pawns are great for this; they can either disappear or draw a card, depending on what you need at the moment.

The secondary key, IMO, is deck balance.  With no TR / KC, the only way to play enough Bridges is to actually have them and have the same number of Worker's Villages.  I also found that it was often essential to play a single Worker's Village to play a single Bridge to trigger a Menagerie.  Maybe that was obvious to some people but I'm used to megaturns being "draw everything, play everything, buy stuff" and this was much more of a "draw and play as you go" engine.  It was lots of fun!

While my result wasn't nearly as fast as yours to be competitive, I think the final turn really shows off what you're explaining in your final paragraph:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/18/game-20120518-111031-ce746461.html

Talk about working the Menagerie's!  ;D 7 of 9 were played for +3 cards, and that's in a deck size of (at the time) 80 cards (And yes, I did manage to play everything out to draw my whole deck out eventually).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:59:48 pm by Galzria »

Mafia Record:

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.