Author Topic: Mafia  (Read 44111 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2012, 09:00:54 pm »

You can also send a PM to yourself and be able to easily click the link.

edit: I don't really care about post count, so I don't care either way.  I enjoyed being an Explorer while it lasted though  :'(
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2012, 10:29:52 pm »

Wow. Lots of discussion here.
The last few things I've wanted to post I didn't actually post because I don't feel confident I'm a good player or right about things.

Post them anyway! People may disagree with you, and that just gets discussions started, which is what we want. If you're unsure, just say so in your post - people will go nice. Actually, I think people go much more into "let's all learn mode" when the person making a claim does it in this manner, and more in the "no, you're wrong" mode when they say it like it's the gospel truth.
Do we have a +5,000,000 button? I couldn't agree more. At first, when I was a lurker on this Forum, the reason why I did not post is because I was afraid I would say something stupid. I would look at the big-time posters, and think, "Oh, wow, these guys probably have much more skill in Dominion than I do..." Soon enough I ventured out and made a post. And another one. And another one. And now, if I say something stupid (not all that rare :) )I accept the critique, and move on.
...Why does post count even remotely matter?
Because your # of posts is cinda like a trophy. Something to show off.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2012, 04:15:30 am »

...Why does post count even remotely matter?

Because of the shiny Titles!
But Tacticians like you don't care, huh, thinking you are something better. Wait til you are a Witch though.

One thing I noticed which may be relevant for Mafia games: When I edit posts right after I posted them, the "post edited by" doesn't appear. Is this due to the time since the post or because noone else posted yet?  Even more, you can remove posts as long as it's the most recent post. Can this cause problems with the no edit rule, letting you remove accidental blunders?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2012, 05:07:24 am »

My assumption there was that the edit doesn't show up if no one else has viewed your post yet, but it might be a timer. 

It kind of allows for edits without being caught, but if no one else has seen it, does it really matter?  If a post edits in the forest and no one is there to see it, does it make a sound?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:15 pm »

I'm currently running no edit rules on the players' honor.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2012, 02:48:53 pm »
+3

Currently you have 120 seconds to edit a post before the "Edited By" shows up.

I assume that 2 minutes cannot possibly make a difference for most forum games, and that anyone that determined to abuse that edit function would be abusing PMs in the same way.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2012, 04:28:57 pm »

For the sake of clarity, I don't want those 120 seconds used in any of my games.  I trust my players not to do so the way I trust them not to PM other players.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »
+1

What is the concern, exactly, though?  If you can edit a post much later, then yeah, you can misrepresent what people are quoting you for, and etc.  But in 2 minutes?  No forum game moves that fast.

I can shorten it to 60 seconds, if you like.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2012, 04:38:25 pm »

What is the concern, exactly, though?  If you can edit a post much later, then yeah, you can misrepresent what people are quoting you for, and etc.  But in 2 minutes?  No forum game moves that fast.

I can shorten it to 60 seconds, if you like.

I meant to post that the last editted tag is not necessary at all, I trust my players.

The issue would be that in players A and B are the only players active in the thread.  Player A says, "I want the town to lose."  Player B reads it.  Player A edits it 100 seconds later to become "I want the town to choose". Player B reads it. I trust player B to tattle on Player A.  If he doesn't tattle, player B has an advantage gained from camping the thread, which is not a skill I want to test.  If player B is a serial killer, things are very unfair.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2012, 05:24:01 pm »

To be honest, it bugs me too, and I'm participating in a Mafia game.  I read "Recent Posts", which is flooded with Mafia posts now.

One suggestion is to browse the forum with "unread topics": http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0

Another is to use http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=unread;c=1 which is all unread posts in the Dominion-related forums.

Is there a way to get seperate RSS feeds that include/exclude certain subforums?  I don't actually look at the webpage proper anymore except to post once in a rare while...just glance at the rss feeds regularly. 

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2012, 11:15:05 pm »

Yes, but the Forum Games posts should no longer be in the RSS feed:

Theory, how hard is it to implement a block of certain threads/subforums? This might help with the issues some people have.

edit: I'm talking about being able to personally block them if I wasn't clear.

Here's an RSS link for all posts not in "Non-Dominion related" (this excludes Introductions/Other Board Games/General Discussion from the RSS): http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss;limit=100;c=1,3

Basically, this topic explains how to manipulate RSS feeds, and you can take it from there.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2012, 04:09:35 pm »

Side question: should posts in "Forum Games" count towards your overall posts?
Proof why they shouldn't, they don't follow rrenaud's law:
Godwin's law for f.ds, a long thread will eventually talk about the official version?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.