Author Topic: Mafia  (Read 44126 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:16 am »

They were fairly regular though usually a few comments per day, so to a user who only checks once or twice a day would usually have them come up in the unread list
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

paddyodoors

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2012, 11:43:21 am »

They were fairly regular though usually a few comments per day, so to a user who only checks once or twice a day would usually have them come up in the unread list

No worries, I check more than once or twice per day.  The closing of those threads individually cannot account for my observations.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2012, 11:48:21 am »
+2

The volume of my contributions to this forum started to drop off a long time before the mafia games started. Yes, it's picked up since then and yes, it's been mostly in non-Dominion related topics, but Dominion really isn't interesting me as much as it used to at the moment. I know there are new expansions on the horizon which is why I'm hanging around and will pick my Dominion contributions back up when the time comes, but for now we've already discussed pretty much every interesting card interaction under the sun, every available piece of information about Isotropic and it's replacement, and every comment a person could make while playing the game and whether or not that makes a person undesirable to play against. Hell, I've even heard rumours that we've discussed every possible card idea possible in the collection of possibilities for Dominion cards that could ever be possible.

What does that leave?

I still take part in puzzles that interest me and I listen out for any exciting news about expansions and/or Isotropic's replacement. I'm not that interested in simulation or reading game logs so I don't do that. Other than that I'm just waiting until the time comes that there is some new stuff, that I find interesting to talk about.

I've not abandoned the forum for mafia. I just have nothing Dominion-related to talk about at the moment.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2012, 01:05:19 pm »
+1

I think I'm more likely to contribute because of mafia.  I come here to mod my game, then think about dominion, then play a couple iso games, which leads to me posting on the forums.  The last few things I've wanted to post I didn't actually post because I don't feel confident I'm a good player or right about things.

And to be clear, people are PLAYING d3 like crazy, so that sucks energy.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2012, 01:33:00 pm »
+6

The last few things I've wanted to post I didn't actually post because I don't feel confident I'm a good player or right about things.

Post them anyway! People may disagree with you, and that just gets discussions started, which is what we want. If you're unsure, just say so in your post - people will go nice. Actually, I think people go much more into "let's all learn mode" when the person making a claim does it in this manner, and more in the "no, you're wrong" mode when they say it like it's the gospel truth.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2012, 01:40:44 pm »
+3

"last few things I've wanted to post I didn't actually post because I don't feel confident I'm a good player or right about things."

thats never stopped me!

As long as your not afraid to be educated why its wrong, go for it!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2012, 04:35:49 pm »
+1

Plus, in England at least, the Sun is actually shining.

Funny you English people even have words like "sun" and "shining" when you only need them few times a year.

For the record, as said with Diablo or good weather, there are many more reasons why it might be the way it appears to you, paddyodoors. I for example am only reading here lately except for posting silly remarks like the above because I didn't play recently and stopped my puzzle because there are others and I have no outstandingly good ideas (the participation was pretty good though). Additionally, we are in a time where strategic insights might be scarce because it's been a long time since the last expansion appeared, so there is nothing new to discuss.

But all this addresses your personal feelings, which are contradicted by the post count which states that even without Mafia posts counted, we already have more posts in May so far than in March and around as much as in February. So...?

paddyodoors

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2012, 05:06:41 pm »

Plus, in England at least, the Sun is actually shining.

Funny you English people even have words like "sun" and "shining" when you only need them few times a year.

For the record, as said with Diablo or good weather, there are many more reasons why it might be the way it appears to you, paddyodoors. I for example am only reading here lately except for posting silly remarks like the above because I didn't play recently and stopped my puzzle because there are others and I have no outstandingly good ideas (the participation was pretty good though). Additionally, we are in a time where strategic insights might be scarce because it's been a long time since the last expansion appeared, so there is nothing new to discuss.

But all this addresses your personal feelings, which are contradicted by the post count which states that even without Mafia posts counted, we already have more posts in May so far than in March and around as much as in February. So...?

Yes, but pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of those May posts are from Mafia (and threads talking about Mafia).  So, the increased post count doesn't really contradict anything (with all due respect to you and your point).

pages and pages

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2012, 05:08:43 pm »

I think his point was that even subtracting the ~900 Mafia posts in the "Forum Games" forum, it is still an above-average month.

paddyodoors

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2012, 05:13:01 pm »

I think his point was that even subtracting the ~900 Mafia posts in the "Forum Games" forum, it is still an above-average month.

In that case, point taken.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:55 pm »
+1

personally, i think there is plenty of dominion discussion going on around here.  but i am also going to go ahead and question the numbers being used as a justification for this opinion.

as of this post, there have been 1017 posts related to mafia, counting this thread and the two game threads.
as of this post, there have been 4511 posts in the month of may.

that makes mafia posts 22.5% of all forum posting in may.  naturally though, this figure is misleading.  mafia game threads have only been around since may 11.  over the span since that thread began, there have been 2536 posts.  mafia makes up 40.1% of all posts.

yeah there have been more posts in may (w/o mafia) than in previous months, but what does that even mean.  forum membership continues to grow pretty quickly.  and we have had scores of posts dedicated to closing out a pretty significant forum-led tournament.  total posts doesn't mean a whole lot.

but hey, WW voiced a similar opinion back when the Homage To The Best Card thread was hugely popular. fads will come and go.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2012, 06:14:59 pm »
+1

personally, i think there is plenty of dominion discussion going on around here.  but i am also going to go ahead and question the numbers being used as a justification for this opinion.

as of this post, there have been 1017 posts related to mafia, counting this thread and the two game threads.
as of this post, there have been 4511 posts in the month of may.

that makes mafia posts 22.5% of all forum posting in may.  naturally though, this figure is misleading.  mafia game threads have only been around since may 11.  over the span since that thread began, there have been 2536 posts.  mafia makes up 40.1% of all posts.

yeah there have been more posts in may (w/o mafia) than in previous months, but what does that even mean.  forum membership continues to grow pretty quickly.  and we have had scores of posts dedicated to closing out a pretty significant forum-led tournament.  total posts doesn't mean a whole lot.

but hey, WW voiced a similar opinion back when the Homage To The Best Card thread was hugely popular. fads will come and go.
Man, that post always gets read as me complaining. It was not. I was just pointing out that upvotes were getting flooded by humour over everything else - not that there's anything wrong with that per se. But I figured people would like looking at most upvoted comments to try to glean information, learn, important stuff. Largely I'm thinking of people who are new to the forum. OTOH, I've even cooled from that a lot since then.
You're also missing a Mafia thread in the 'other board games' forum.
Finally... eh? I mean, I wish there was more other content too, but... go post some more dominion-related content then. I mean, people ARE posting less of it, but I expect there'd be natural ebbs and flows. It doesn't seem THAT much out of line. Probably perception bias because so many of the comments these days are indeed mafia. But I mean, it's been a long time between set releases, and I think that that's what really drives comments more than anything - people want to talk about new cards.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2012, 06:20:27 pm »

oh yeah man, not trying to pick on you there.  i was just trying to point out that similar complaints have been raised before and it hasn't slowed us down any.

mostly i was just frustrated by the use of total comments in the month to justify the quantity of dominion discussion.

and a new expansion would definitely jump start more discussion.  but the official version, when it arrives, will likely spark just as much discussion.  though of course it could also hinder discussion if we can't scrape and analyze logs from those games.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2012, 07:02:08 pm »

oh yeah man, not trying to pick on you there.  i was just trying to point out that similar complaints have been raised before and it hasn't slowed us down any.

My point is that I hadn't made a similar complaint.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2012, 08:48:05 pm »
+1

Personally, the forum having a minor flood of Mafia threads sounds a lot more pleasant than a minor flood of cancer such as the Decline of Civility, people to avoid threads.

I personally don't care about Diablo 3, Twilight Struggle, and other games discussed here. So I ignore those threads, problem solved.

paddyodoors

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:52 pm »

Personally, the forum having a minor flood of Mafia threads sounds a lot more pleasant than a minor flood of cancer such as the Decline of Civility, people to avoid threads.

I personally don't care about Diablo 3, Twilight Struggle, and other games discussed here. So I ignore those threads, problem solved.

Ignoring it!  Why didn't I think of that?!?  I must be having an off day.  You're right, sir, that does solve the problem.  +1 for problem solving.

Actually, I might be having an off day.  Please disregard anything that sounds remotely curmudgeony.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »
+1

Is it possible to flag certain posts in a way that I can come back and look at them later, quickly. There's actually a few analysis points now that I'd like to spew out (not necessarily recent ones!), but am holding off on doing until the games end

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2012, 04:19:36 pm »
+1

C:\Windows\system32\Notepad

Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V

:)

(Although that would be an interesting feature)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2012, 08:39:06 pm »

Side question: should posts in "Forum Games" count towards your overall posts?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »

IMO, forum games and general discussion both shouldn't count towards your postcount.  Other board games is ok because there is lots of comparison to Dominion.

@WanderingWinder - On most forums you can view an individual post, or a forum thread starting with a particular post, and then the URL is tied to that particular post and you can copy paste the URL for later reference.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:01 pm »

Side question: should posts in "Forum Games" count towards your overall posts?
You have that power?
Also, yes.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:04 pm »
+1

...Why does post count even remotely matter?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2012, 08:56:00 pm »

...if you don't care about it, why are you posting the question?

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2012, 08:57:23 pm »

...if you don't care about it, why are you posting the question?

Because I'm insecure myself and enjoy pointing out other peoples insecurities, especially if I don't share them.  ;D

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2012, 08:58:12 pm »

I editted my post, but now new stuff is posted so it's clogged.

Anyway, WW, can you ctrl-c hyperlinks like this -

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2576.msg42484#msg42484

- into a small file for later reference?  Best I can help.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.