Author Topic: Mafia  (Read 44133 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Mafia
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 06:41:32 pm »

The point is that for Mafia players, it's much easier to avoid/resist spoiler-tagged discussion than if it was just out in the open.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2012, 06:45:00 pm »
+1

Ipx bcpvu b tijgufe bmqibcfu?

(How about a shifted alphabet?)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »
+1

The point is that for Mafia players, it's much easier to avoid/resist spoiler-tagged discussion than if it was just out in the open.

My concern is more that they can influence lynching than mafia finding extra info, as per my earlier post
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2012, 06:48:39 pm »

My concern is more that they can influence lynching than mafia finding extra info, as per my earlier post
By "Mafia players" he means people who are playing the game of mafia, not players who aren't Townies.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »

Oh i see, thought it was strange.

I still think a lot of people would be too tempted

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2012, 06:57:57 pm »

I'm sure there would be a few plyers that would get tempted.  But it eliminates the "everyone is the town" problem that just having a public topic would cause.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2012, 01:04:14 am »
+1

Whoa, so much discussion and conflict and whoa.

Theory was invited to the dead QT because he is VT.  A power role won't get access to the dead QT so that the dead QT's maximum cheating opportunity is "extra vanilla townie discussion".  Which is really not worth the shame and dishonor, and my subsequent order of seppuki.

In response to WW's angry post, I would say that I think the QT isn't very inconvenient for him and I can't understand why someone would care enough about a mafia game to read it, but not care enough to send a pm and make a couple clicks to discuss it without damaging it.  Maybe Davio was kidding when he said he would be unable to resist a public spectator thread but I took him seriously.

Playing mafia in QTs in the future is a good idea.  The only drawback to a QT that I can think of is there is no avatars, and avatars help people remember who goes with what.  Speaking of which, I need to recommend Avatars to O and Ozle..
It's a bit a hypothetical I suppose, but pretend there is some "Master of Mafia" with extensive experience playing, several degrees in psychology, and a dash of omnipotence. 
I'm real, man.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2012, 04:11:07 am »
+1

You can now ignore certain boards. 

This page lets you ignore particular boards. When a board is ignored, the new post indicator will not show up on the board index. New posts will not show up using the "unread post" search link (when searching it will not look in those boards) however, ignored boards will still appear on the board index and upon entering will show which topics have new posts. When using the "unread replies" link, new posts in an ignored board will still be shown.

That would be great if I had no interest in the "Other Board Games" forum.  But I do.  And the Mafia posts are what are showing up as "unread."

Is there a chance we could create a "Forum Play" subforum and those of us fully uninterested in such games can ignore that instead?

Obviously, I have no dog in the fight either way on outside discussion.  I'm just tired of seeing this thread and the Mafia threads at the top of my unread posts list, but ignoring the whole Other Game forum would be worse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2012, 04:46:50 am »

Im not really too sure why 3/4 threads showing up in the unread posts list is such a terrible inconvience really

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2012, 06:31:32 am »

Im not really too sure why 3/4 threads showing up in the unread posts list is such a terrible inconvience really

I think the particular issue was that this feed, or those based on it, got flooded with individual Mafia posts, rather than easily-avoided threads.

e: typo
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:29:25 am by qmech »

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2012, 07:30:34 am »

Ahh, never use that, I always use the 'recent unread threads' at the top. Far easier to be selective

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2012, 08:40:35 am »

In response to WW's angry post, I would say that I think the QT isn't very inconvenient for him and I can't understand why someone would care enough about a mafia game to read it, but not care enough to send a pm and make a couple clicks to discuss it without damaging it.  Maybe Davio was kidding when he said he would be unable to resist a public spectator thread but I took him seriously.

You have no idea what's convenient or not for me. Mostly it's the principle of the thing. In fact, I have no issues with what you're doing; I have issues with people *demanding* that, and even more issues with people saying that even that is too far. Indeed, I don't really have a lot to say, or indeed a lot of interest in the mafia games at all - I'd like to make a couple rhetorical points, not really game-related mostly, and... that's about it. But in fact, having to go to another site *is* quite inconvenient.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2012, 12:19:18 pm »

I've moved the forum games to a forum that guests cannot view.  This should remove all Mafia posts from the RSS feeds.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »

Dang, Theory, you're awesome.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2012, 02:48:34 pm »

Not sure if you are aware Theory, but since you made this change i dont think O can post anymore in the threads

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2012, 02:51:01 pm »

Not sure if serious bug report

Or sophisticated meta-commentary on Mafia I

As far as I can tell there's nothing special about O: his permissions are the same as every other regular user on the forum.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2012, 02:51:19 pm »

single character name issues?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2012, 02:52:48 pm »

Serious bug report. He sent a PM around everyone still alive in mafia I to say he couldn't post and he thinks it's something to do with the computer he's on, but it happened just about the same time as the split.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2012, 02:54:15 pm »

I assume if he is unable to post anywhere else on the forum to report the bug, then it is his computer rather than that subforum.  There is nothing that suggests his permissions are any different than anyone else's.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2012, 03:37:03 pm »

It was my computer that I was on; sorry for the misinterpretations. I was on a public server (not my home server) that had some bizarre criteria for blocking sites.

paddyodoors

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2012, 09:42:08 am »
+1

I don't contribute all that much around here -- mostly just snarky comments, +1s, and the occasional Dominionified meme.  I'm not a top-tier player... nor even a second-tier player.  I don't have deep things to contribute to the strategy discussions.

85% of my interaction with the forums is lurking.

Since the Mafia games began, I have noticed a decrease in Dominion-related discussion.  (Yes, I understand this is only anecdotal evidence based on my subjective perception.)

I like Mafia, it's a fun game.  But I doubt I'm going to win any popularity points when I say that: it seems the Mafia games are detracting from what draws me to the forums in the first place.  People who are playing in them are spending their time and energy on Mafia and not on Dominion.  Of course, they are free to do so -- no one is questioning that.  It just means that leeches like me who are consumers and not really producers get less material to consume.  (Which may not objectively be a bad thing, except for the leech.)

I'm sure there is room for everybody here... well, most people anyways.  I, for one, am not really into fan cards and variants.  Nor am I into simulation challenges.  Puzzles are kind of cool.  I have a tough time digging through game logs, so game reports are pleasant IFF there is some text written out about what happened in the game (instead of just posting a log with little/no context).  Articles are awesome -- they are what drew me here in the first place (from the blog).  Some of the "other board games" and "other games" discussions draw my attention, but generally only if it is something that I already like and want to share it with the forum.

However, with the Mafia games ongoing, it kinda feels like when you're at a party and a big group of people leave to go hang out in the other room and close the door.  I mean, since it is a public forum, (to carry the analogy forward:) I am able to look through a window to this other room with this big group in it, all having fun and playing Mafia... but I didn't come to this party to play Mafia, and I certainly didn't come to this party to watch others play it.  Granted, those of us who aren't putting most of our time/effort on f.ds Mafia are able to continue hanging out and speaking about Dominion (and other things as well), but there are fewer of us, which means less volume (but not necessarily less quality interaction).

To verify or disprove my feelings on this topic, I scanned through the recent posts of some of f.ds's more noted contributors who are also in Mafia games.  I found many who have posted scarcely anything outside of them (or this thread, which directly relates to them).  In fact, I found one who, in his last 75 posts, has posted 4 messages in 3 non-Mafia-related threads.  Not calling anyone out, because it doesn't really matter in the individual case -- everyone is free to participate in this forum as they please.

I guess my only grumble is that the Dominion discussion feels a little less animated these days.

And in the end, I'm mostly just a lurker, so no one's conscience ought to be pricked by my ramblings.  And there will probably be responses saying "you've got it all wrong, paddy" or "you're missing the point, paddy" or "if you don't like it, don't participate in it -- no one is forcing you to pay attention to Mafia stuff, paddy" or "you're a horrible person, paddy" (okay, probably not that last one).  And that's fine, because we're all here to express ourselves via text (sometimes images) and each of us are free to do so as we please.  I'm probably just an overly pedantic codger who doesn't deal well with change.

True as that might be, from my perspective, it still kinda stinks that there seems to be less Dominion partying going on.  I love Dominion partying.  +1 to whomever reads my wall of text, even if it causes you to have a spittle-flecked tantrum.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2012, 09:49:09 am »
+1

Since the Mafia games began, I have noticed a decrease in Dominion-related discussion.  (Yes, I understand this is only anecdotal evidence based on my subjective perception.)
You started Mafia on May 11th, Diablo3 started May 15th, I would say you have very noisy data...

paddyodoors

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2012, 09:56:51 am »

You started Mafia on May 11th, Diablo3 started May 15th, I would say you have very noisy data...

I didn't start Mafia, but yes, I have noisy data (hence the reference to anecdotal evidence only, subjectivity).  Good point.  Hopefully, I'm totally wrong and way out in left field.  I mean this sincerely.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2012, 10:41:24 am »
+1

Yeah my d3 time is waaaay more than my mafia time.

And also I think you have the closing of two very popular topics that were drawing a lot of debate recently (civility ones)

Plus, in England at least, the Sun is actually shining.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2012, 10:55:26 am »
+1

Yeah my d3 time is waaaay more than my mafia time.

And also I think you have the closing of two very popular topics that were drawing a lot of debate recently (civility ones)

Plus, in England at least, the Sun is actually shining.
Eh, those things were very long-standing, but didn't draw a lot of comments all the time. Unless they erupted into a particular intense heated discussion/flame war.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.