Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 03:59:14 pm »
+1

Theory: The quicktopic is a concession enough, one that I'm not sure we really need.

I don't either. I think it was an attempt at a compromise. I wouldn't react harshly to Pops for setting it up though. Some people (involved and not) said "Hey, should there be a single contained thread on *Mafia Thoughts/Conversations* that anyone can post in. Some thought it was a good idea, some thought it was a horrible idea. The quicktopic off-site appeased both. It was then mentioned that perhaps the games themselves should be held via Quicktopic, and generally was met with "Good Idea, next game".

The simple fact is, as WW points out, it's silly and stupid to try and ban people from talking about it. If you don't want to read, don't go into the topic. Just like they avoid the games if they aren't interested. I would *hope* that those involved in the games choose not to look at arguments made by outside people, but hey, if they do, that's their choice. Not like anybody but the actual players know their roles anyway.

Anyway, long story short - I understand WW's frustration, although his post seems rather hostile. /shrug - Maybe it's just really getting to him. My 2 coppers? Hell, feel free to comment away. Just do me a favor and keep it to a single thread (this one or another) so it doesn't clutter up the boards. Or don't - won't kill me to sift out topic names I don't wanna read.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 04:00:23 pm »

I'm more than happy for non-players to comment on games, just not until after the games have finished. There's no reason why a game thread can't be opened up to everybody and anybody to comment on post-game.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »
+1

I'm more than happy for non-players to comment on games, just not until after the games have finished. There's no reason why a game thread can't be opened up to everybody and anybody to comment on post-game.

I still don't understand why it can't be mid-game...

I really haven't seen a good argument.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 04:03:42 pm »
+1

Because this isn't a Mafia gaming site, and doesn't/shouldn't be restricted by rules you'd expect there. If they want to talk about games in progress, they have every right to. We are forcing our topics to the top of the RSS feeds. We've filled up over 20 pages worth of stuff that they have to choose to read or not. If they want to talk about games, it's as much on you not to read - or read, your choice - if you choose.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

paddyodoors

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 04:04:04 pm »

My 2 coppers?

+1 for this.  Seriously, you got a chuckle out of me just for this.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2012, 04:10:23 pm »

By the way, no one has linked me to the quicktopic yet :(

Also, the quicktopic idea only works once.  What, are we going to start a new forums for every game?

It'd be nice if you could ban certain membergroups from certain forums.  Then I can make a Mafia I forum and ban Mafia I players from the Mafia I discussion subforum.  But I think the forum's permissions only work the other way around.  I shall investigate further.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 04:19:56 pm »

We definitely should NOT ban people from talking about the game just because they aren't in it.  I think a quicktopic might be best, maybe a quicktopic for each mafia game.  I'd prefer just a regular thread on this forum, I know I'd never check it until I'm out of the game, but from others' complaints I'm not sure if they can stop themselves from looking.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2012, 04:22:12 pm »

...I'm still confused.

If no information is revealed on a forum topic (read: ban dead players from posting) what's the massive problem with having the players read a thread?

I think it's a bad idea for the thread to contain information that the mafia players don't know even if the mafia players don't check the thread.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 04:23:40 pm »
+3

I think I've found a way to address everyone's complaints.  The forum will be a bit wonky for the next half hour or so while I set this up.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 04:35:14 pm »
+1

I think I've found a way to address everyone's complaints.  The forum will be a bit wonky for the next half hour or so while I set this up.

Serious +1 respect points if you can get those two boards set up. More if I could.

Mafia Record:

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 04:35:35 pm »

...I'm still confused.

If no information is revealed on a forum topic (read: ban dead players from posting) what's the massive problem with having the players read a thread?

I think it's a bad idea for the thread to contain information that the mafia players don't know even if the mafia players don't check the thread.

Perhaps the dead players just agree not to post any secret information?  Theory - as vanilla "ice" townie - doesn't have anything he could possibly share - or am I missing something?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »
+1

...I'm still confused.

Perhaps the dead players just agree not to post any secret information?  Theory - as vanilla "ice" townie - doesn't have anything he could possibly share - or am I missing something?

Nope, pretty much dead on. (Sorry theory, bad pun).

Mafia Record:

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »
+1

i appreciate theory's work in trying to keep everybody happy.  but at the same time not a single person has listed a legitimate reason why outsiders can't discuss any current games. there really isn't any need for dedicated forums that i see.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 04:49:08 pm »
+3

Only because there'd be more scrutiny to what the mafia posts, it'd be like a two person mafia team vs. the whole forum on town.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 04:53:23 pm »

Only because there'd be more scrutiny to what the mafia posts, it'd be like a two person mafia team vs. the whole forum on town.

more scrutiny is not inherently a bad thing, and scrutiny would be directed at all players.  outsiders wouldn't know who the mafia is any better than the players.  and arguably less, as we are not playing and will not keep up with every detail as closely.

and there can still be a handshake agreement between players to not visit the thread if this is somehow game changing information. but there is no evidence that it is.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 04:53:33 pm »
+1

I don't really know anything, but I think the idea is that the players are supposed to be playing their own game, and not drawing any outside influence for their actions.  It's a bit a hypothetical I suppose, but pretend there is some "Master of Mafia" with extensive experience playing, several degrees in psychology, and a dash of omnipotence.  This imaginary person knows the identity of the players in the game and discusses his knowledge and reasoning in a public thread outside the game.  If one of the players read that thread, it would ruin the game.  Now, this example is certainly a stretch, but I can absolutely understand not wanting the people inside the game to be influenced by the analysis of others who are not playing.

That and what Axxle said.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 04:55:02 pm »

I agree with this, which is why Mafia players should not read the forum. It's all honor-based (it's already on the honor system that players don't PM each other).

But, yeah, if current players read an outside forum, then they may get some insight they never would have gotten before. It would not be right for the townies of the 1st game to read my thoughts on what's going on. It's especially not right, since I'd probably have bad advice, and they'd be worse off for following it. But it applies to people with better thought processes than me.
A man has no signature

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2012, 05:02:12 pm »

more scrutiny is not inherently a bad thing, and scrutiny would be directed at all players.  outsiders wouldn't know who the mafia is any better than the players.  and arguably less, as we are not playing and will not keep up with every detail as closely.

and there can still be a handshake agreement between players to not visit the thread if this is somehow game changing information. but there is no evidence that it is.
Outsiders know EXACTLY as much as a Vanilla townie does, the only thing they can't do is ask questions.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 05:03:06 pm »

Sadly, setting up those forums is a lot harder than anticipated.  I've hidden it for now and will return to the issue later.

(The primary problem, in case you're interested, is http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=419803.0 )

For RSS purposes, however, I can simply disable guest access to the Mafia forum, in which case the RSS feed won't include those posts.  Is that a good idea?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »
+1

Outsiders know EXACTLY as much as a Vanilla townie does, the only thing they can't do is ask questions.

False.  Vanilla townie Bob knows that he is not Mafia.  Outsiders do not know this.   ;D

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2012, 05:12:08 pm »

i'm honestly not sure if you are arguing with me or agreeing with me.  eHalcyon made my point though - outsiders know strictly less than any player in the game, townie included.  a townie at least knows their role.  as an outsider, i know nothing at all.

and as i said, very few outside of the game have any real reason to follow the game as closely as the players in-game.  we have no risk of dying in any game and are less likely to be interested in the minutiae.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2012, 05:40:42 pm »

And what if a outsider picks up on something xtremely relevant that the townies missed and posts it in that thread?

Plus of course there is the whole trial by media aspect, if a lot of people get behind one person as a suspect they could sway a townie
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2012, 05:41:59 pm »
+2

i'm honestly not sure if you are arguing with me or agreeing with me.  eHalcyon made my point though - outsiders know strictly less than any player in the game, townie included.  a townie at least knows their role.  as an outsider, i know nothing at all.

and as i said, very few outside of the game have any real reason to follow the game as closely as the players in-game.  we have no risk of dying in any game and are less likely to be interested in the minutiae.

Normal people yes, but have you seen the people who post here...we are all obsessed with minutae, take a look at all the simulation threads for example!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2012, 06:37:02 pm »
+1

What if we used Spoiler tags

For example, here is my reaction to the Mafia II: awwwwww snap!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2012, 06:40:39 pm »

What if we used Spoiler tags?

Might as well use Strike through!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.