Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Mafia  (Read 44116 times)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:33 pm »

If an outsiders thread is created, would Mafia players who get killed be allowed to read/participate (after they are killed, of course)?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:49 pm »

I would hope so. The thought of waking up dead on day 2 unable to speak saddens me...

At least, it seems harsh.

Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 04:33:27 am »
+1

I vote 100% no to any kind of outside commentary on any mafia game while it is still going. If you wanted to partake, you should have signed up.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 04:42:14 am »
+1

Clutter is the biggest issue.  I dont mind having another thread going for outsiders, and have it on honor system that players can't check it.
I don't mind either, just BLOCK me from the thread, otherwise I WILL read it. That's curiosity for you.
And mostly because I use the "Show unread topics" as my starting point for the forums.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 05:11:05 am »

Worried this wil make each game a trial by media if you allow others to do runninh commentary on it.

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:26 pm »

So this discussion has made me realize I've been missing like, a ton of posts on f.ds.

I usually read from the "Show unread posts since last visit." link on the top of every page that goes to "Recent Unread Topics" which I assumed was just everything I haven't read.

But now I just noticed the "All Unread Topics" link on the bottom of the "Recent Unread Topics" page that links to "All Unread Topics" that has a ton of threads with new posts that I didn't know about.

Weird.

Does anyone know what difference between "Recent Unread Topics" and "All Unread Topics" is? I'm on here all the damn time, so I would assume everything is "recent" but apparently not.
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 06:34:16 pm »

There are a lot of old threads that you may not have read, and thus aren't recent.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 08:29:46 pm »
+1

As the guy modding the first mafia game..

1. I agree with the sentiment that Mafia shouldn't be in the default RSS feed.  I like logging off of isotropic, seeing something in the RSS feed about a card I just played with, and clicking a link.  Mafia removes that joy, and it doesn't really help anyone, the mafia threads will always be super active, you don't need an RSS to know that.

2. I haven't read this whole thread, but Ozle crossed the line a bit by saying "I'm not cracking jokes in my mafia game because I don't want to look suspicious".  If he made a comment strictly about site administration that'd be fine, but I deem that as game related.  It violates the principle of providing everyone equal access to game related information by keeping it in the proper thread.  I'm probably going to post a link to this thread in mafia I to "annex" it.

3. If the spectators want to discuss, I can just make them a quicktopic.  A quicktopic is an offsite forum thread that anyone can use, but only if they have the link.  I'll share the link with anyone who pms a request for it.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 08:38:11 pm »

Just make a quicktopic forum Pops, and give everyone the link. Everyone on F.DS can view and nobody in a current mafia game, alive or dead, can post.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:05 pm »
+6

You can now ignore certain boards. 

This page lets you ignore particular boards. When a board is ignored, the new post indicator will not show up on the board index. New posts will not show up using the "unread post" search link (when searching it will not look in those boards) however, ignored boards will still appear on the board index and upon entering will show which topics have new posts. When using the "unread replies" link, new posts in an ignored board will still be shown.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 11:17:41 pm »

So this discussion has made me realize I've been missing like, a ton of posts on f.ds.

But now I just noticed the "All Unread Topics" link on the bottom of the "Recent Unread Topics" page that links to "All Unread Topics" that has a ton of threads with new posts that I didn't know about.

I did this and I have 82 pages of unread topics. O.o
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 12:06:31 am »

I did this and I have 82 pages of unread topics. O.o

Wow. I have 6, and even I'm overwhelmed.
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 03:59:02 am »

3. If the spectators want to discuss, I can just make them a quicktopic.  A quicktopic is an offsite forum thread that anyone can use, but only if they have the link.  I'll share the link with anyone who pms a request for it.

Terrible, terrible idea and I'm seriously considering not joining another mafia game on f.ds because of this. Please never ever send me the link.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 04:27:46 am »

Why?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 04:37:35 am »

If you wanted to partake, you should have signed up.

However, if my previous comment about large mafia games that everyone who wants to can join happens in future there would be no "need" for outside discussion anyway. I'd be happy with that.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 04:43:50 am »

I think the 'quicktopic' thread so people can discuss it is a horrible horrible idea. It not only has the chance to influence the current game, but also any future games!

"If you wanted to partake, you should have signed up."
This comments a bit harsh considering there were limited sign up places! Next time definately a bigger group is an idea/
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 05:04:35 am »
+2

Maybe you should just use a quicktopic to play mafia?

Edit: ... but as you started public, I at least want to know who get lynched on day one.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 05:58:19 am »

However, if my previous comment about large mafia games that everyone who wants to can join happens in future there would be no "need" for outside discussion anyway. I'd be happy with that.

As well as the current limited number of spaces, Mafia also has a requirement to actually participate on a consistent basis, and to stop discussing it with everyone when you die. Makes perfect sense to me why someone would want to backseat game without actually joining.

I suppose it depends on whether the people in that can keep from commenting about it outside that thread, anywhere where we can see it. I don't see the harm, if they can...

Maybe you should just use a quicktopic to play mafia?

Seems like a good idea, if there are more games after these.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 03:26:04 pm »

I vote 100% no to any kind of outside commentary on any mafia game while it is still going. If you wanted to partake, you should have signed up.

I agree that's a little harsh, but it's not just because of people who missed out on being in one of the coveted 18 spots available.

Those who die early also cannot participate. Both games now have a lynching. Those people cannot participate in those games anymore.

I guess the quick topic forum doesn't bother me. I've been tempted to read up on the first game. I ignored it for a while, but when I got into the second game, I found it interesting to read the first game. The contrast between the two games is rather interesting too.

If I get knocked out of my current game, I would definitely be interested in joining the conversation. I've had to refrain from making a comment on the first game. Hell, it's currently "nighttime" in the second game, and it bugs me that I can't post anything in that forum right now.
A man has no signature

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 03:35:20 pm »

I agree that's a little harsh, but it's not just because of people who missed out on being in one of the coveted 18 spots available.

Those who die early also cannot participate. Both games now have a lynching. Those people cannot participate in those games anymore.

I guess the quick topic forum doesn't bother me. I've been tempted to read up on the first game. I ignored it for a while, but when I got into the second game, I found it interesting to read the first game. The contrast between the two games is rather interesting too.

If I get knocked out of my current game, I would definitely be interested in joining the conversation. I've had to refrain from making a comment on the first game. Hell, it's currently "nighttime" in the second game, and it bugs me that I can't post anything in that forum right now.

Tell me about it.  ;) But in respect for the rules, I'll say no more here! First rule of Fight Club and all that....
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2012, 03:36:15 pm »
+6

I just wanted to say that I'm more than a bit fed up with people belly-aching about commenting on the mafia games. I'm thoroughly annoyed about your private games trying to dictate the behaviour on this public forum. If that's really important to you, then you should have played on a public forum.
Let alone trying to stop people from talking on a random other part of the internet...

(Note, I'm not talking about stopping other people from commenting on the game in the actual thread. I see why you think that's necessary)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »
+1

I just wanted to say that I'm more than a bit fed up with people belly-aching about commenting on the mafia games. I'm thoroughly annoyed about your private games trying to dictate the behaviour on this public forum. If that's really important to you, then you should have played on a public forum.
Let alone trying to stop people from talking on a random other part of the internet...

(Note, I'm not talking about stopping other people from commenting on the game in the actual thread. I see why you think that's necessary)

i'm with WW.  you guys have no control over what we choose to discuss in these forums.  if you choose to play your games in a public forum we can feel free to go ahead and discuss those games. 

there are forums available elsewhere where you can play mafia to whatever stringent set of rules you desire.  but please refrain from attempting to dictate our actions on this forum.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 03:47:37 pm »
+1

I also agree.  I understand that no one else should post in the Mafia topic, and Mafia players should not post outside about Mafia.  But the idea of "banning" outside Mafia communication is stupid.  The quicktopic is a concession enough, one that I'm not sure we really need.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »

So I'm a little sad that I started this thread... because now that the lynching's have occurred, those threads are really good reads, and I am finding it fun to not only learn Mafia (never played before), but also watch theory (a lawyer by profession) get lynched on Day 1.

My only issue was it messing up the RSS feeds - like the top 5 recent postings on the main site - all being Mafia related.  If the next games end up being in another forum, please post links to them here so that we can come and watch.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 03:56:40 pm »

I don't really understand it... I think it would be loads more fun if anything for me to read outsider's comments. I can build up grudges on anyone who suspected me  ;D My only restriction is that I really think dead Mafia players need to stay out of the thread (sorry theory!) for fear of information being released.

I think people need to realize that we're not playing on Mafiascum, and as we're intruding on a dominion board with Mafia, the least we can do in return is some community involvement.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.