Author Topic: Mafia  (Read 44122 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
Mafia
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »
+5

Am I the only one who's put off by the Mafia games running?  It seems like my unread posts since last visit are containing a lot less "Dominion Strategy" - but I recognize that I may be in the minority here.

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Mafia
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:50:15 pm »
+2

To be honest, it bugs me too, and I'm participating in a Mafia game.  I read "Recent Posts", which is flooded with Mafia posts now.

One suggestion is to browse the forum with "unread topics": http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0

Another is to use http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=unread;c=1 which is all unread posts in the Dominion-related forums.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »
+1

To be honest, it bugs me too, and I'm participating in a Mafia game.  I read "Recent Posts", which is flooded with Mafia posts now.

One suggestion is to browse the forum with "unread topics": http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=unread;start=0

Another is to use http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=unread;c=1 which is all unread posts in the Dominion-related forums.

That second one is what I was looking for.  "Recent posts" is chaos man... i can't drink from the firehose.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 02:57:52 pm »
+2

That second one is what I was looking for.  "Recent posts" is chaos man... i can't drink from the firehose.
I read literally every post ever posted to these forums.  If you've ever posted it, I've read it.

With Mafia, though, I might no longer be able to keep this up.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:14 pm »

I read literally every post ever posted to these forums.  If you've ever posted it, I've read it.

I think I read pretty much every thread as well, apart from long winded maths ones that were not really going anywhere and the decline of civ ones, those were just numbingly boring.

But then im a forum junkie!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »

I used to read averything but then I got a job and didn't have the time to keep up with everything so I just stopped browsing the boards that interested me the least (simulation, fan cards, game reports) and stopped reading anything in the other boards that didn't look particularly exciting or looked too long to be bothered with. Works fine for me.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:04:14 pm »

I live here now, so, you know...  ::)

And though I could see the MAFIA threads being annoying for those with no interest... I dunno. I find them massively entertaining. But then again, they're my cup of tea. It would be nice for others if there were an easy way to filter boards out of common views or interests.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »
+6

I used to read everything but then I got a job and didn't have the time to keep up with everything so I just stopped browsing the boards that interested me the least (simulation, fan cards, game reports) and stopped reading anything in the other boards that didn't look particularly exciting or looked too long to be bothered with. Works fine for me.

dude i read everything because i have a job. 
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 03:12:06 pm »

I used to read everything but then I got a job and didn't have the time to keep up with everything so I just stopped browsing the boards that interested me the least (simulation, fan cards, game reports) and stopped reading anything in the other boards that didn't look particularly exciting or looked too long to be bothered with. Works fine for me.

Spot on for me too!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:08 pm »
+1

Heh, I always read the forums by going to http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php and then clicking on the boards where there's a "new" icon. I never even realized that there was a way to see all the new posts agglomerated somewhere, where the non-dominion posts were getting in the way... The whole non-dominion-related section is off the bottom of the page when I load f.ds anyway for me.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 03:40:33 pm »

Ditto, except I'm still going to keep up, even with the mafia-ness. Though it's a little disappointing not to be able to crack jokes in there randomly - I've actually thought of a couple...

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 03:44:11 pm »

Ditto, except I'm still going to keep up, even with the mafia-ness. Though it's a little disappointing not to be able to crack jokes in there randomly - I've actually thought of a couple...

I'm having to withhold cracking jokes in the one im in in case they make me look suspicious somehow!  And I still read the other one.

I think its important not to let them get out of hand though, 3 are going now by the looks of it, even if it means the more that are going the more likely some will fold and leave people dissapointed.

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 03:51:45 pm »

I enjoy watching the Mafia games for now, but I do hope they don't overwhelm the rest of the board.

FWIW I read just about everything except fan cards and the IsoDom stuff.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 03:53:32 pm »
+1

this site is blocked where I work, unfortunately.

And as for multiple mafias, I'd prefer it was just one at a time and as many people could sign up as wanted to.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »

Theory, how hard is it to implement a block of certain threads/subforums? This might help with the issues some people have.

edit: I'm talking about being able to personally block them if I wasn't clear.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:04:06 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 03:58:22 pm »

TINAS: I agree that would be awesome, however as this is the first game for so many of us (especially over in M-II), I am very appreciative of the smaller scale.

Still, I would be in favor of that after these two end.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 04:01:18 pm »
+1

You be crazy, you.

I think its important not to let them get out of hand though, 3 are going now by the looks of it, even if it means the more that are going the more likely some will fold and leave people dissapointed.

Yeah, there's a chance they'll go the way of the solo challenges, where everyone starts posting them and then nobody participates in a bunch of them.

Am I the only one who's put off by the Mafia games running?  It seems like my unread posts since last visit are containing a lot less "Dominion Strategy" - but I recognize that I may be in the minority here.

I'm a little mixed. On one hand, yeah, Mafia games aren't really Dominion talk. On the other hand, they are in the 'Other Board Games' sections, in their own threads, it's not like those threads are taking over the boards, and it seems a little strange to expect that every single thread on the forums is of interest to any particular person. I don't really read the variants or solo challenges or IsoDom stuff that often, I would expect that the people who don't want to deal with the Mafia stuff would just not check up on the 'Other Board Games' subforum except on occasion.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 04:38:51 pm »

Theory, how hard is it to implement a block of certain threads/subforums? This might help with the issues some people have.

edit: I'm talking about being able to personally block them if I wasn't clear.

Here's an RSS link for all posts not in "Non-Dominion related" (this excludes Introductions/Other Board Games/General Discussion from the RSS): http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?action=.xml;type=rss;limit=100;c=1,3

Basically, this topic explains how to manipulate RSS feeds, and you can take it from there.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »

I was going to be really mean, drop in, and say "I'm not a werewolf," but, alas.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 06:15:56 pm »

I was going to be really mean, drop in, and say "I'm not a werewolf," but, alas.

I was wondering if a "Mafia Commentary" thread would be a good idea so the people who had the urge to comment/interject, would have an outlet for it.  The question would be if it would have to be off limits to the actual players or if that doesn't matter (especially since it would be impossible to enforce.)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 06:20:18 pm »

I was going to propose that, but it seems dangerous.  Then basically the whole forum is playing.  But it's a very very tempting idea.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »

I don't think it's a good idea as then you will have everybody critiquing your posts.

BUT....Easy to achieve in secret though, just make a sub forum with restricted access and don't give any current players access (although maybe not when an admin is playing...)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 06:45:04 pm »

I don't personally see why we can't have outside observers comment, outside of the possible problem of two much clutter.

I mean, it'd be nice to have the entire forum backing me when I'm explaining why FTL is mafia.  8)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 07:03:18 pm »

Clutter is the biggest issue.  I dont mind having another thread going for outsiders, and have it on honor system that players can't check it.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »
+7

It would be very, very ironic that a thread about how there's too much Mafia on the Dominion forums ended up causing a new Mafia thread to be created.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.