Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Anybody got Diablo 3 yet?  (Read 40995 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody got Diablo 3 yet?
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:33 am »

I guess that's partially why I have a 60 mage, barb, and monk.  Each of them gets frustrating at times, so I need to switch around if I want to keep my interest in the game, given all the guaranteed instant-and-repeated death that gets thrown out of the randomizer.  I get the most success out of kiting with the mage, but that's also the least interesting method to play, to me.

Are you playing solo, or in groups?

I'm finding mage in group to be fun, but solo in inferno to be un-fun.  Blizzard -> Venom Hydra -> Kite Kite Kite Kite Kite.  If the monster has extra health?  Great - I'm going to be running for a while.  I've now got my resists up to ~350... maybe I can afford some glass cannon now.

When in a group though, then options are around...   one person can run past the trouble monsters and then everyone can teleport down to them.  i wish there were more explicit "taunt" abilities to help separate packs etc.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2012, 11:46:34 am »

I'm mostly playing solo, because I can start and quit whenever I like and don't have to excuse myself.
Sometimes a friend joins or I join one of my friends to help out, but that's about it.

I'm playing a Demon Hunter which is lvl 43 and in A2 NM now.

It's getting harder and harder killing the blue and yellow monsters, because they get stuck in my trap for less time than the regular white monsters it seems.

So basically I lay the slow/immobilize trap, place a Sentry and fire a bit with Rapid Fire. Then the group comes out of the trap and I rinse and repeat.

What's really annoying is that my Templar doesn't (seem to) take any aggro. So every monster rushes towards me, the glass cannon. I wish he could taunt them better or something, not just when I'm close to dying.

And I find myself having to do an Auction Hall upgrade every few levels. While I don't find this annoying as I think the AH is done pretty well and makes it easy to buy and sell stuff, I think the drop rates can be made a lot better. Maybe I'm too perfectionistic as I like to have insane amounts of Dex and Vita at all times, but 11k+ life at lvl 43. isn't that unnecessary.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Dave970

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2012, 04:05:51 pm »

I guess that's partially why I have a 60 mage, barb, and monk.  Each of them gets frustrating at times, so I need to switch around if I want to keep my interest in the game, given all the guaranteed instant-and-repeated death that gets thrown out of the randomizer.  I get the most success out of kiting with the mage, but that's also the least interesting method to play, to me.

I'm finding mage in group to be fun, but solo in inferno to be un-fun.  Blizzard -> Venom Hydra -> Kite Kite Kite Kite Kite.  If the monster has extra health?  Great - I'm going to be running for a while.  I've now got my resists up to ~350... maybe I can afford some glass cannon now.

When in a group though, then options are around...   one person can run past the trouble monsters and then everyone can teleport down to them.  i wish there were more explicit "taunt" abilities to help separate packs etc.

Some of both.  I'd drop my BattleTag, but I don't have the mobile authenticator to look it up.  DaveTheMage#something.  I also do the blizzard>hydra>kite method (no other way to live, though let it be said that I can completely see how it would be possible to magetank if I had the right gear), but I find it extremely boring, so much so that I'm currently running without a signature spell and subbing in Disintegrate, instead.  I find the added power allows me to mow down groups when I have/want to, and it even works well in group play.  It doesn't drain my AP pool all that fast, so I can throw a couple hundred thousand damage on the whole mob group occasionally, which helps with the boredom of kiting.

That being said, the extra mob health in group play is troublesome at times, and I'll spend a couple seconds doing nothing every once in a while waiting for the AP to recharge a little.  It's not so frequent that I feel like not having Magic Missile is a horrible mistake, but I think about it.  Blizzard, itself, does not do enough damage, nor does the poison pool from Venom Hydra, without being able to get the mobs stuck in it for a bit.  The monk suck-em-in move (name escapes me, window switching on Android not worth the time) is awesome for that.  Of course, that move also lines them up nicely for Disintegrate.

In solo play (though it's still tough in groups), the real issue is the followers' AI.  I know it's not a true MMO with that design, but they can't tank.  There's no discernable threat model.  The best we've come up with is whoever hits them first, so we try to let our monk or barb to go in and grab "aggro".  With the followers, good luck.  Even if you let the Templar charge in, as soon as you hit something, they're all coming for you, instead.  You'd think maybe at least Tyreal could tank, but no.  So, it's kite all day, and that puts me to sleep.

I try the melee characters to see if I can "tank" better than my friends, and for the change of pace, but starting with Act II Inferno, it goes significantly downhill.  My barb has like 70% DR from armor and 45K health, but not enough resists to live long.  My monk has about 60%, less health, and more resists (and One With Everything), but it's still a chore.  The BS is useless, and I need more money for the AH, so it is what it is.  Both of them, if solo, just run into random combinations like I described earlier that are roughly impossible.

Dave970

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2012, 04:12:18 pm »

I'm mostly playing solo, because I can start and quit whenever I like and don't have to excuse myself.
Sometimes a friend joins or I join one of my friends to help out, but that's about it.

I'm playing a Demon Hunter which is lvl 43 and in A2 NM now.

It's getting harder and harder killing the blue and yellow monsters, because they get stuck in my trap for less time than the regular white monsters it seems.

So basically I lay the slow/immobilize trap, place a Sentry and fire a bit with Rapid Fire. Then the group comes out of the trap and I rinse and repeat.

What's really annoying is that my Templar doesn't (seem to) take any aggro. So every monster rushes towards me, the glass cannon. I wish he could taunt them better or something, not just when I'm close to dying.

And I find myself having to do an Auction Hall upgrade every few levels. While I don't find this annoying as I think the AH is done pretty well and makes it easy to buy and sell stuff, I think the drop rates can be made a lot better. Maybe I'm too perfectionistic as I like to have insane amounts of Dex and Vita at all times, but 11k+ life at lvl 43. isn't that unnecessary.

I didn't quote both of you in the last reply, but do agree on both the Templar and AH points.  As always, more DPS is the answer  :P

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2012, 04:28:35 pm »

Are you guys having any luck finding legendaries?

I'm lvl 43 with my first character and so far have found 3, currently in A3 NM.
I said this to a friend of mine who was amazed as he has found 0!

He asked around in a game with 4 lvl 60's. One guy had found 3, two others had found 1 and he had found 0 as mentioned.

I don't know whether I'm extremely lucky or he's extremely unlucky.

What I've noticed is that the legendaries don't always drop from bosses. I think I've gotten one on a boss and the other two from random monsters or chests.

The legendaries I've found so far are Broken Crown, Chaingmail and Standoff.

I don't know anything about the drop rates, but I think Blizzard has turned them low to start things off so they could see what would happen on the Auction Hall or something. This is pure speculation however, but I'm curious why people are finding so few.

And sure, a good rare is better than a bad legendary, but still...

How are you guys faring?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »

I have found 2, and bought one from the AH because it showed up in my recommended equipment and was a reasonable upgrade at the time. 

I found the "Awesome" bracers, which I can wear for about 5 levels:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/steady-strikers

I bought this helm, which worked for me because the random stats it rolled with were vitality and intelligence, otherwise mostly useless.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/blind-faith

And then I found this in Act 4 Hell from a weapon stand while farming diablo.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-sultan-of-blinding-sand

I have no idea what to do with that... completely useless, because with required lvl 59, you can use it for 30 minutes until you hit 60, at which point you guy buy a 800 dps one hander.

None of those 3 items are good enough to warrant the atrociously low drop rates.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:57 pm »

Some of both.  I'd drop my BattleTag, but I don't have the mobile authenticator to look it up.  DaveTheMage#something.  I also do the blizzard>hydra>kite method (no other way to live, though let it be said that I can completely see how it would be possible to magetank if I had the right gear), but I find it extremely boring, so much so that I'm currently running without a signature spell and subbing in Disintegrate, instead.  I find the added power allows me to mow down groups when I have/want to, and it even works well in group play.  It doesn't drain my AP pool all that fast, so I can throw a couple hundred thousand damage on the whole mob group occasionally, which helps with the boredom of kiting.

That being said, the extra mob health in group play is troublesome at times, and I'll spend a couple seconds doing nothing every once in a while waiting for the AP to recharge a little.  It's not so frequent that I feel like not having Magic Missile is a horrible mistake, but I think about it.  Blizzard, itself, does not do enough damage, nor does the poison pool from Venom Hydra, without being able to get the mobs stuck in it for a bit.  The monk suck-em-in move (name escapes me, window switching on Android not worth the time) is awesome for that.  Of course, that move also lines them up nicely for Disintegrate.

So I've just gotten my mage to 60 and am currently playing A4 Hell.  I've been running with an Arcane-combo build from the DiabloFans forums--Arc Hydra instead of Venom, Arcane Orb, Magic Missile, and Temporal Flux (slow on Arcane damage).  With enough crit and a piece or two of +AP on Crit gear, you can cast a lot of Orbs on a lot of slow mobs, though I haven't gotten that sort of gear quite yet.  I'd strongly recommend dropping Disintegrate, though; anything that requires you to channel is going to kill you while kiting.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dave970

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2012, 12:18:08 pm »

I've had 3 drop, plus a Wizard set piece.  I had a low-level barbarian 2 hander, that I sold, Skywarden, that I used on the wizard a while, then sold, and Nailbiter, that sold for a decent amount.  The stats on the set piece were terrible, so I sold that for 1.9M, then bought the weapon my Wizard is still using.

Drop rates are intentionally low, and Blizzard admitted they screwed up on Legendaries and are fixing their stats soon.  Only the set piece dropped off a boss.

Dave970

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2012, 12:31:18 pm »

I'd strongly recommend dropping Disintegrate, though; anything that requires you to channel is going to kill you while kiting.

I don't die much, at all.  That's the point to kiting.  Disintegrate is used for extreme burst, when it's safe to do so, and hits everything in the beam.  Generally, a finisher.

I like Arcane Orbs, but they're directional, even from the Hydra, and kiting is constantly changing the angle of attack and position of the mobs, thus the orbs can often miss.  Conversely, the attack from Venom Hydra is directed, so it will always hit, even while moving all around.  Also, to maximize orb damage, the mobs have to be in the blast radius, and the orbs explode on first contact.  So, you may get some random white mob instead of the blue/yellow pack you want to hit.

If I were truly worried about having something else to use while kiting, I'd swap Disintegrate for Magic Missile with the Seeker rune (another spell guaranteed to hit).  Disintegrate is used to pour on damage when it's safe to stand still and do so, and will hit more mobs than an Arcane Orb will.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:10 pm »

I've had 3 drop, plus a Wizard set piece.  I had a low-level barbarian 2 hander, that I sold, Skywarden, that I used on the wizard a while, then sold, and Nailbiter, that sold for a decent amount.  The stats on the set piece were terrible, so I sold that for 1.9M, then bought the weapon my Wizard is still using.

Drop rates are intentionally low, and Blizzard admitted they screwed up on Legendaries and are fixing their stats soon.  Only the set piece dropped off a boss.
Too bad the markets are already being flooded by Chinese goldfarmers who are hyperinflating.

I really wonder why Blizzard doesn't do anything about botting...

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2012, 01:05:45 pm »

Too bad the markets are already being flooded by Chinese goldfarmers who are hyperinflating.

They banned thousands of users today!

Dave970

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2012, 04:22:53 pm »

They banned thousands of users today!

Yup, the banhammer is out.  With the release of the RMAH, they want to try to get this somewhat under control.  Unfortuantely, much of the damage may have already been done, judging by the amount of product already flooding the regular AH, be it legitimate or, more likely, ill-gotten gains (intentional reference).  Another factor in the amount of product is that each AH is region-wide, rather than smaller servers as found in WoW.  More people selling in the same space.  Otherwise, that lucky-drop set piece might have really set me up for a pay day, instead of listing it on something like the 20th page and the lowest price.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2012, 04:44:57 pm »

Has anyone checked the prices yet?  I'm curious.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2012, 05:10:59 pm »

I went and looked for S&G.  Prices on the item market are ludicrous, in the range of $1 to 100k gold ratios.  I shit you not, there are items up in the $200 buyout range..  However, the commodities and forex markets (make no mistake, USD<>D3G is a forex market, just a very non-traditional one; I don't think Credit Suisse is going to start buying Diablo Gold) aren't currently open.  When the forex hits, I expect initial exchange rates to settle in the $1<>1-10M gold range.  No way are people going to buy 100k gold for $1.  I've been wrong before, though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »

I'm curious as to what games have the most developed economies.  TF2 has an extremely active economy (all the more remarkable because it trades almost exclusively in items with only cosmetic in-game effects) with stable exchange rates to real-world currency.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2012, 05:39:22 pm »

I'm curious as to what games have the most developed economies.  TF2 has an extremely active economy (all the more remarkable because it trades almost exclusively in items with only cosmetic in-game effects) with stable exchange rates to real-world currency.

I think a challenge is that you can't see the sale prices of items... no searching completed listings... so its very difficult to know the true value of something.  Sure, you can see a bunchof things listed @ 200 real world dollars, but those are just retarded.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2012, 06:58:30 am »

I went and looked for S&G.  Prices on the item market are ludicrous, in the range of $1 to 100k gold ratios.  I shit you not, there are items up in the $200 buyout range..  However, the commodities and forex markets (make no mistake, USD<>D3G is a forex market, just a very non-traditional one; I don't think Credit Suisse is going to start buying Diablo Gold) aren't currently open.  When the forex hits, I expect initial exchange rates to settle in the $1<>1-10M gold range.  No way are people going to buy 100k gold for $1.  I've been wrong before, though.
Within the public chat which you go to automatically after logging in (booooh!!!) there are a lot of advertisements for 1M gold for +/- $12 (last time I checked). So this means about $1 for 100k.

While I don't care whether this is high or low I still wonder what kinds of people actually use these services and spend actual money for so much gold or an item that may give them 1 extra stat point over their current choice.

I've used d2jsp for Diablo II and I liked that system. D2jsp gold was actually worth something and if you had a lucky find, you could rack up some Forum Gold to spend on whatever you needed. It also served very specialistic audiences, I've sold many a low level dueling shield there with 4s and @res.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2012, 09:34:16 am »

Within the public chat which you go to automatically after logging in (booooh!!!) there are a lot of advertisements for 1M gold for +/- $12 (last time I checked). So this means about $1 for 100k.
Sure, but that's buying gold on a black market, which is of necessity going to be more expensive.  As well as more risky.
While I don't care whether this is high or low I still wonder what kinds of people actually use these services and spend actual money for so much gold or an item that may give them 1 extra stat point over their current choice.
I'm not certain who would buy from a black market farming service, though obviously people do, or said black market would cease existing.  But I can understand people purchasing better equipment; they're hoping for a return on their investment, or they want to get into the high-level game a bit faster.  I wouldn't personally purchase using actual cash, but I'd purchase using gold because, hey, what else are you going to do with the gold?  And when the forex opens, I'll happily sell gold (legally) if it seems worth it.

Dave970

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2012, 09:59:47 am »

I think a challenge is that you can't see the sale prices of items... no searching completed listings... so its very difficult to know the true value of something.  Sure, you can see a bunchof things listed @ 200 real world dollars, but those are just retarded.

One of the challenges to this line of thinking is that the D3 RMAH is (one of) the first attempt(s) at legitimizing a market that allows purchase of non-cosmetic in-game items for real-world currency, in a game that is not patently "pay to win" (which opens another discussion, entirely).  I'm sure that all games with player-driven economies settle into stability eventually, and D3 is still too young, with the opportunity to capitalize (both in the gold AH and the cash RMAH) on people that "must have everything NOW!", be it to fuel their forum gloating, or whatever their reasons might be.

As far as stabile non-currency markets go, look no further than WoW.  Granted, it's been around for 8 years, now, so it's had the time to develop, but the prices for nearly everything are well-established on each server, with many independent websites dedicated to working the virtual economy, plus the Undermine Journal, which gathers historical data for items from every server to provide a searchable database on the price of... everything!  Talk about robust.

D3 will settle in, some day, and what has an outrageous price today will eventually become reasonable.  I could be wrong, but I can't see the RMAH being all that profitable once this initial fervor to "win" (first!, NOW!) dies down.

Within the public chat which you go to automatically after logging in (booooh!!!)

With yesterday's patch, you're no longer auto-joined to General chat.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2012, 10:10:43 am »

OK, perhaps I spoke too soon (caution, lesen Deutsch):

http://www.ebay.de/itm/251081594866?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_560wt_1396

Yes, folks, that is a 1250 DPS 1-hand sword with great stats... and it sold for over 700 Euro, or about US$1100.

You have to have some serious surplus cash to do that.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:13:01 am by Kirian »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2012, 10:14:31 am »

Dude, TF2 hats (purely cosmetic, no in-game effect) fetch up to $2200 USD.  Though I think that most people trading at the level are interested in flipping it for profit.

Dave970

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:42 am »

Sure, but that's buying gold on a black market, which is of necessity going to be more expensive.  As well as more risky.
I'm not certain who would buy from a black market farming service, though obviously people do, or said black market would cease existing.  But I can understand people purchasing better equipment; they're hoping for a return on their investment, or they want to get into the high-level game a bit faster.  I wouldn't personally purchase using actual cash, but I'd purchase using gold because, hey, what else are you going to do with the gold?  And when the forex opens, I'll happily sell gold (legally) if it seems worth it.

Such interesting topics, here...

I'm sure we agree that the people hacking accounts for profit need shut down, but botting was brought up before, and we know that, at some point, buying gold for cash will be available.  I may be dumb (or old), but I take pride in earning what I have, so I'm not one for botting.  But what does it hurt, if what's being done is automating the collection of gold while you're not available to play and do it yourself?  Each person is in their own game world, with personal loot, so a bot killing mobs for gold isn't depriving someone else of the same gold.  Would I buy 10M gold for $1?  Man, would that be tempting.  Far more than I could farm in a night's work.  Is there a difference in buying it for $1 and letting a robot gather it, instead?

And when that option becomes available, what does that do to the market?  Will items that are listed for 20M gold now start getting listed for 200M?  2B?  It'll be interesting to watch.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2012, 11:03:56 am »

No doubt we will see (hyper)inflation along with the bursting of the initial bubbles.

An insane DPS sword may sell for $700 today, but it will be $400 next week.
The best of the best item (perf stats all around) will be the only one retaining its value or having it increased while a lot of close seconds will likely appear that drop down quickly.

The problem is that the items are generated on such a huge scale as well as the Gold.
Rembrant paintings are partly expensive because there are so few. If Rembrandt had painted thousands of paintings nearly identical to each other, they wouldn't be worth that much. Why do you think IKEA is so cheap? :)

So we get inflation not only on the Gold part, but also on the items part.

If you have 1M now you can buy 1 or 2 rare items.
You could buy the same items but also 50 similar ones for 100M in a couple of weeks.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2012, 11:10:46 am »

I think their policy of taking $1 off the top of any auction sales really makes it unattractive to sell anything but godly items.      Basically, they take 15% of "commodity" sales, gold, gems, crafting supplies etc., and they take $1 off any items.  The breakeven there is somewhere in the $7 range.... which is a price that is way too high for something that isn't a permanent item. 

I could see myself being willing to drop $0.25 - $2 on a minor upgrade, but there's just no reason for a seller to be willing to list something at those prices.

I don't understand it.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2012, 12:54:53 pm »

I think their policy of taking $1 off the top of any auction sales really makes it unattractive to sell anything but godly items.      Basically, they take 15% of "commodity" sales, gold, gems, crafting supplies etc., and they take $1 off any items.  The breakeven there is somewhere in the $7 range.... which is a price that is way too high for something that isn't a permanent item. 

I could see myself being willing to drop $0.25 - $2 on a minor upgrade, but there's just no reason for a seller to be willing to list something at those prices.

I don't understand it.

Tbh my plan is honestly to dump any inferno item I don't want on the auction house for 2$

Unless its super godly in which case I will charge more
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.