Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Anybody got Diablo 3 yet?  (Read 40976 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody got Diablo 3 yet?
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 10:01:57 am »

FWIW, I played yesterday morning from 4am-7am Central Daylight Time with no issues.  I played from about 6pm-10pm and it was a bit laggy at times but otherwise okay.  Sometime between 10 and 10:30 my friends and I all got booted off when the servers went down and I went to bed.

I saw a comment (on reddit I think) highlighting the unfortunate situation for game companies where purchasing enough hardware to handle the launch rush would leave them with a lot of unused equipment sitting around collecting dust a week/month/ect later.  I hope they get things ironed out soon, but I understand why problems like this seem to be common with games.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 10:03:34 am »

They made a Diablo 3?!?!?

I suppose a major nit to pick would be:

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23error37

Random Tweet:
Lisa Brewster ‏ @Adora

Man, Diablo III is super hard. I've been playing for 30 minutes and haven't even defeated the login screen. #error37

I don't get it, what is Error 37?  And what does it have to do with my not knowing that they were making/have made a Diablo III?

Sorry - I figured you were being a wiseass.... as a somewhat serious TF2 player I assumed you probably read some gaming sites - where Diablo 3 advertisements have been all over the place.

Error 37 is the "Servers are busy" message.  At the launch, nobody was able to login, and #error37 was the #1 global trending topic on twitter... and then there were memes: http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/15/diablo-iii-error-37-memes/#s:diablo-iii-meme-emperor

I would think they (Blizzard) would be embarrassed, but they are probably too busy counting their money.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 10:09:01 am »

So, somehow I never played the original Diablo or D2.

Is it just me, or is the equation

Diablo = (Nethack - Quirky Item System - Insane Difficulty) + ([Insert Fighting Game] - PVP) + Story + Quests

Approximately correct?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:20 am »

I don't know what nethack is, but at least in DI and DII you can mostly remove Story and Quests.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 10:22:28 am »

I've been playing the game for two days (not non-stop gaming) and I've just finished Act 2. Therefore I assume the game is about as long as Diablo 2, which is really fine by me as I've played that game for several hundred hours. :) Great game so far, and I love that there's a LOT of lore connection to the first game.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:09 am »
+1

I saw a comment (on reddit I think) highlighting the unfortunate situation for game companies where purchasing enough hardware to handle the launch rush would leave them with a lot of unused equipment sitting around collecting dust a week/month/ect later.  I hope they get things ironed out soon, but I understand why problems like this seem to be common with games.

Na, that is a business decision. You don't have to buy the equipment, you can lend them. And if you are Blizzard, you can also talk to whoever to satisfy your needs. But of course that costs money, and it might be cheaper to just produce some error37, get a bit laughed about you, but in the end rely on all the people who understand that poor poor blizzard has just not the possibility to handle all these hyped people.

Not to mention the other business decision to make this game online only.

After all, it might be the right decision, but as costumer you can't just ignore all the negatives of this decision, just because it might be profitable for the company.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:39 am »
+1

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:58 am »

I for one actually like that you only can play online. I don't have a computer that can handle the game, and with all my characters online I can play whenever I can get my hands on a computer with the game istalled.

paddyodoors

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 10:47:43 am »

Sorry - I figured you were being a wiseass.... as a somewhat serious TF2 player I assumed you probably read some gaming sites - where Diablo 3 advertisements have been all over the place.

Error 37 is the "Servers are busy" message.  At the launch, nobody was able to login, and #error37 was the #1 global trending topic on twitter... and then there were memes: http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/15/diablo-iii-error-37-memes/#s:diablo-iii-meme-emperor

I would think they (Blizzard) would be embarrassed, but they are probably too busy counting their money.

Alas, the only gaming site I read is this one.  Well, this and BGG.  I don't spend time reading about video games -- I'm more into playing them.  The reason I spend time reading about Dominion and other strategy games is that they have a depth to them that most video games don't have.

If/when I come across a deep video game, I'll look up an article or two, sure.  However, I don't really haunt video game commentary sites/forums.

As for TF2: I've actually found to be quite deep -- the class selection, team composition, and loadout variables are all part of a game that is much much deeper than your standard FPS.  Almost like an RPG FPS.  Pretty neat.

I really enjoyed D2 and D2:LoD.  However, I haven't played it in over a decade (since high school).  Had no clue that D3 was in the works.  There was quite a bit of subtlety in D2 -- various skill paths, items, etc.  Might be worth some time.  Not a ton in the budget, though.

As an aside: Frisk, you planning on playing any TF2 this week?  We could get you, theory, Kuildeous, and I in a game (and any others out there, if you exist).  You know, stack the teams, inflict our badassery upon newbies courtesy of f.ds ... sound like fun?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:18 am »

Diablo = (Nethack - Quirky Item System - Insane Difficulty) + ([Insert Fighting Game] - PVP) + Story + Quests

Approximately correct?

This is kind of true. (although I would have gone for Rogue rather than nethack!)

But its essentially basically a dungeon Hack N Slash with lots and lots of various items and a bit of storyline and quest.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 10:49:55 am »

Approximately correct?

+1 for nethack!

Diablo is light on quests relative to more formal RPGS... although there is a story you are working through.

Diablo is a gothic themed slot machine, where instead of pulling a lever, you kill monsters, and instead of getting money, you get items. 

The "game" is basically trying to figure out out the best skills to use to maximize the amount of items you can get for the minimum amount of time.

There is a story - and it looks like it takes between 8 (really rushing) and 20 (really playing slow) hours to complete.  Once you finish it, you play it again on a harder difficulty (nightmare), and then again (hell difficulty), and then one more time (inferno difficulty).  Blizzard claims that inferno is so hard that none of their internal testers were able to beat it. 

Once you're done, then end game is usually about some manner of item hunting runs.  (The rewards of which are better items which make future item hunting runs faster!)  They've allegedly tweaked things a bit to make it more interesting than D2 end game, but I don't know that we'll know this for sure until people are actually at the end of the game.

I love it, and nethack, but they scratch different itches.  You'll never die by falling down the stairs and having your cockatrice corpse weapon (wielded with gloves of course) kill you in Diablo.  Angels however, are lovingly rendered in 3d.... vs. ascii character 65.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 10:54:24 am »

As an aside: Frisk, you planning on playing any TF2 this week?  We could get you, theory, Kuildeous, and I in a game (and any others out there, if you exist).  You know, stack the teams, inflict our badassery upon newbies courtesy of f.ds ... sound like fun?[/i]

No, i'm totally addicted to Diablo 3, and will be spending far too much of my non existent free time hunting for items.

paddyodoors

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 10:57:15 am »

As an aside: Frisk, you planning on playing any TF2 this week?  We could get you, theory, Kuildeous, and I in a game (and any others out there, if you exist).  You know, stack the teams, inflict our badassery upon newbies courtesy of f.ds ... sound like fun?[/i]

No, i'm totally addicted to Diablo 3, and will be spending far too much of my non existent free time hunting for items.

Fair enough.  :D

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 01:04:23 pm »

Heh, Frisk, my equation was actually based on about 4 hours of D3 game play--just got to the Skeleton King.  It's been interesting so far, liking it but not sure how long I'll play it.

If/when I come across a deep video game, I'll look up an article or two, sure.

WOW is ridiculously deep if you're the sort of person who spends hours min-maxing an RPG character.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »

3003 is the new 37.  (The error I got last night)

I have been able to play a decent amount.  Level 8 Barb at the moment.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

paddyodoors

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 02:01:50 pm »

Heh, Frisk, my equation was actually based on about 4 hours of D3 game play--just got to the Skeleton King.  It's been interesting so far, liking it but not sure how long I'll play it.

If/when I come across a deep video game, I'll look up an article or two, sure.

WOW is ridiculously deep if you're the sort of person who spends hours min-maxing an RPG character.

WOW was not enough motivation.  For me, the biggest thing in an RPG is the goal -- what am I working towards?  Just near-endlessly building my character's stats/skills or endlessly searching for items to help me build my character's stats/skills is not enough.  I am willing to sink a bunch of time into developing a character for the purpose of completing some in-game goal... but not for no purpose at all.

I actually enjoyed D2's storyline, quests (even non-essential ones) and the like.  It was my main reason to play the game at all.  For me, the time spent developing my character was worth it because the goal was to be able to complete the game on the hardest difficulty (inferno or nightmare or whatever).  Once completed, further play was kinda meaningless to me.

If the object of a video game is to develop a character merely for the sake of developing a character, then it is not really for me.  I think that is one of the reasons that I am not really into the Sims but I am into games like Civilization.  Both are strategy; one is much more goal-oriented than the other, though (IMHO).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 02:07:20 pm »

Every hack 'n slash game is similar:

- Make a character you're comfortable with and run through the entire game, investing every nook and cranny
- After you've talked to 2 characters with multiple lines of text, you'll probably skip the rest
- Go from signpost to signpost character collecting quests and sidequests
- Sidequest are in the form: Go there, defend this or get that
- After you've beaten the game, make an item-gathering character that can run bosses fast and get lots of good items
- Get the "wow, this is a great bow for my Demon Hunter (rogue-type char)" feeling when you find a good unique or rare item
- Never actually play with the bow, but trade it instead

Eventually these games become all about the items and squeezing every possible attribute point out of a build.

But what Diablo does best is moodsetting. The game can create such an eerie mood that gets you really involved.

Received my copy today, let's have a look!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 02:09:12 pm »

The Burrito Cannon (of 1.09) would like to have a word with you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 02:14:43 pm »

The Burrito Cannon (of 1.09) would like to have a word with you.
I once found a perfect one....................but it was after the runewords were introduced.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 06:31:23 pm »

Just got a copy of my CD key and downloading the game client now, 7 gigs!

So the question is whether to wait up 50 minutes for that to download (past midnight) and start playing tonight...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »

Co-op is really fun. Me and 2 friends (barb, me monk,WD) ran through normal in 8-9hours. We pooled together items on boss kills so nothing goes to waste.

Single player is unbearably slow IMHO. Especially if you're a Mage or Demon hunter... ranged damage in general is really weak and you never pick up exactly what you need.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 04:10:55 am »

I joined a pub last night after installing the game and it was a pretty decent game for a pub.
I chose Demon Hunter as it seemed like a fun class and got together with a Wizard and a Witch Doctor.

We blasted through to Jondar and that's where I had to quit, because my wife wanted to go to bed.  >:(

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 08:57:33 am »

Some more thoughts...

Loot has picked up, I now have stash full of junk rares that I can't justify selling - because I hate destroying things, but aren't good enough to use.  I'm Frisk#1123 if anyone needs some gear tonight after 9pm ish.

I just started Act 4, and I have a suspicion that it's going to be a short one...   I just hit lvl 29, and the consensus is that you finish normal @ 30 more or less on the button. 

That said, I've been having a ton of fun, and right now I'm torn on whether I want to smoke theory @ twilight struggle this weekend, or blow him off and slaughter demons instead.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2012, 09:17:06 am »

Single player is unbearably slow IMHO. Especially if you're a Mage or Demon hunter... ranged damage in general is really weak and you never pick up exactly what you need.

It hasn't felt all that slow to me (Wizard) but I'm very, very, very methodical about doing extra exploring and the extra killing that goes with it, and... well, reading all the quest text and conversations.  For reference, I'm level 14 after about 5 hours of actual play, and ~90% of the way through Act I.  I don't think I'd be happy rushing through the first time without stopping for all the RP stuff.  Once I'm through Normal, I may change that.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2012, 09:24:51 am »

It hasn't felt all that slow to me (Wizard) but I'm very, very, very methodical about doing extra exploring and the extra killing that goes with it, and... well, reading all the quest text and conversations.  For reference, I'm level 14 after about 5 hours of actual play, and ~90% of the way through Act I.  I don't think I'd be happy rushing through the first time without stopping for all the RP stuff.  Once I'm through Normal, I may change that.

Well - I can say as a barb that while wrecking stuff is fun with HULK SMASH AOE, I've died several times (50/50 mix of stupidity and unbearable server lag) ... the new potion system and delayed cast TPs make it very easy to get trapped, hosed. 

I'm considering re-rolling ranged after normal is done because I feel like I'd have more control.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.