Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is an official Dominion App coming out anytime soon?  (Read 9735 times)

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
Is an official Dominion App coming out anytime soon?
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:35:49 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Isotropic, and appreciate that it exists and works so well.

But...I'd really like to be able to play a version with a more robust interface and some official art.  I know there were some threads on BGG about a Dominion app being in the works, but is there any update on when we might see something like that?  I love Dominion enough that I would be more than willing to pay a premium price ($20+) for the ability to play it in a format like that...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Is an official Dominion App coming out anytime soon?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:33:57 pm »

But...I'd really like to be able to play a version with a more robust interface and some official art.  I know there were some threads on BGG about a Dominion app being in the works, but is there any update on when we might see something like that?  I love Dominion enough that I would be more than willing to pay a premium price ($20+) for the ability to play it in a format like that...
I can't give you a date until there's an official announcement, and once there's an official announcement you won't need me to give you a date. We would like it to be out.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:54:23 pm »

Thanks Donald - that's good news (it's still being developed) and bad news (not ready to announce yet), I suppose.  Hope you are able to make an official announcement soon. 

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:23:14 pm »

It's sort of good news, bad news, since the arrival of this app means Isotropic will be going bye bye.  I can't complain, since Isotropic is free, but I'll miss it.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:32:44 pm »

It's sort of good news, bad news, since the arrival of this app means Isotropic will be going bye bye.  I can't complain, since Isotropic is free, but I'll miss it.

Ack.  Didn't even think about that.  It would be sad to see Isotropic go away.  It seems to me that there'd be room for both products, with Isotropic serving as an entry point/practice game and an official app targeted at those who want a more polished experience.  But, I have no basis for that line of thinking, so feel free to ignore it.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:45:18 pm »

First of all, that was official beta art. Also, if isotropic dies I'll request an auto match function in the app.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 07:52:53 pm »

First of all, that was official beta art.

Right, but it doesn't sync up with the card art, which is the issue for me.  Plus, the other elements of the card art (frames, symbols, etc) are not included in isotropic. 

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 01:06:55 am »

I really, really, really hope that if something causes isotropic to shut down that I as a general Internet user am able to use its replacement.  If isotropic is asked to shut down because there's a competing product available to some people, it's effectively equivalent (to me) to saying "OK, now that people in Russia have access to a competing licensed product, we can't let you have this free program available to everyone.  No, we don't care that you can't possibly use our application because you have no interest in moving to Russia, we'd be losing potential business if we let people from Russia access it.  So we have to shut it down completely.  Unfortunately, it costs money to develop a program for platforms available in other nations, and so many of our Russian players would love to be able to play an official licensed version, so we went with them first.  Since our app is simple, it works well with the systems that Russians have that are less powerful and have smaller screens.  Sure, we could make something that works for a larger market, but they'd expect something so much more polished, and hey, it's easy to move to Russia and so many people have already that it's no big deal, right?"

Ok, buying a particular smartphone isn't as big of a deal as moving to Russia, but....I don't want to buy a smartphone just to play Dominion online.  Most apps for mobile phones are (or at least *should be*) simple games that work well with the given interface or productivity apps suited for the "go anywhere" nature of the smartphone.  No one should be porting games solely to smartphones just because they'd work there when people would gladly pay typical PC game prices for something equivalent to that smartphone app just because the intellectual property that the app represents is so awesome.  Maybe I wouldn't care much at all if isotropic weren't available, but it feels very wrong to let them exist while there's no competing product but force them to close because some subset of the population has access to a competing product.  Please have it be possible for everyone who can play isotropic now (ie, any internet user) be able to play whatever causes it to shut down.  Please. 

Please.
Stop reading my signature.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:31:19 am »

Please.
Surely there are more exciting things to jump to conclusions about and then freak out over than the fate of online Dominion.

The lesson in general that posts like this hammer into me is that I should never tell anyone anything. You are messing things up for the innocent people who just like to know things in advance! Ah well.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 04:34:13 am »

I think you should be proud that people would freak out about playing your game online, I've chatted with several people who have never played with the cards and only know dominion because of iso and now might be future customers of other games you make.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 06:18:54 am »

Hissyfit

Where on Earth has anybody ever said that the official electonic Dominion product is going to be for smartphones only? IIRC it has been announced that it will be available "on multiple platforms" and it's been assumed right from the start that one (probably the main one) of these platforms will be PC. If you don't have a PC at the moment then maybe you should "move to Russia".

Not a Cylon

• Steward
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 06:52:05 am »

I've long been rather astonished that there's no licensed online version of Dominion — someone is failing to make untold craploads of money :-D

That said, good to hear something is in the works. May said craploads be many and timely :-)

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 07:12:56 am »

Hissyfit

Where on Earth has anybody ever said that the official electonic Dominion product is going to be for smartphones only? IIRC it has been announced that it will be available "on multiple platforms" and it's been assumed right from the start that one (probably the main one) of these platforms will be PC. If you don't have a PC at the moment then maybe you should "move to Russia".
Hahahahahaha nice one :). Thanks for the information Donald :].
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 11:00:22 am »

I severely dislike when people see "hissyfits" in things that I feel passionately about just because the reaction might be, to them, out of proportion, because all they see is the reaction and not the thought process behind it.  I did not "freak out", I didn't go into a panic, I merely expressed a concern due to my recently acquired knowledge about a smartphone app for Ascension.  In no way did I ever mean to imply that I thought it wasn't going to be available for PC.  I'm sorry if I came across in that manner, but what was going through my head was that this entire discussion seemed like it was about smartphone apps and I wanted to be sure to have my voice felt on this manner.  If my concern is unwarranted given the reality of the situation, then that's great; I just have no way of knowing that, and was highly concerned that some developers were only interested in smartphone apps and not in PC software that would likely require a higher level of polish.
Stop reading my signature.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 01:28:16 pm »

I severely dislike when people see "hissyfits" in things that I feel passionately about just because the reaction might be, to them, out of proportion, because all they see is the reaction and not the thought process behind it.  I did not "freak out", I didn't go into a panic, I merely expressed a concern due to my recently acquired knowledge about a smartphone app for Ascension.  In no way did I ever mean to imply that I thought it wasn't going to be available for PC.  I'm sorry if I came across in that manner, but what was going through my head was that this entire discussion seemed like it was about smartphone apps and I wanted to be sure to have my voice felt on this manner.  If my concern is unwarranted given the reality of the situation, then that's great; I just have no way of knowing that, and was highly concerned that some developers were only interested in smartphone apps and not in PC software that would likely require a higher level of polish.
Any message is two things: what was sent out and what was received. On the receiving end you never know for sure what was sent out, you just try to pin it down as well as you can. So, you can say you didn't freak out, but that's what I received, and if you don't want to send that message in the future, don't say "please" over and over, like Bernie Bernbaum when Tom's about to shoot him.

I severely dislike people demanding/begging things of me based on their own random pessimistic speculation. And I am not too fond of what follows, which is other people thinking those imagined bad things must be based on real information, or else people being displeased with my reaction to their craziness. Those things all suck for me.

Isotropic is Doug's thing; he could shut it down any time he wanted, commercial version or not. There's something for you to worry about for no reason.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 02:08:45 pm »

Any message is two things: what was sent out and what was received. On the receiving end you never know for sure what was sent out, you just try to pin it down as well as you can. So, you can say you didn't freak out, but that's what I received, and if you don't want to send that message in the future, don't say "please" over and over, like Bernie Bernbaum when Tom's about to shoot him.

I severely dislike people demanding/begging things of me based on their own random pessimistic speculation. And I am not too fond of what follows, which is other people thinking those imagined bad things must be based on real information, or else people being displeased with my reaction to their craziness. Those things all suck for me.

Isotropic is Doug's thing; he could shut it down any time he wanted, commercial version or not. There's something for you to worry about for no reason.

I'm new to this game, but Donald, I just fell in love.

Seriously this guy rocks.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 05:17:21 pm »

I love it that the designer of this game cares enough to be involved in so many of these discussions.  And I agree wholeheartedly, Donald, with your comments in this thread.  Thank you for your accessiblility and for all that you do share with us.  It really adds a lot to my enjoyment of this game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 20 queries.