Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Walking  (Read 4818 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Walking
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:59 am »

Hello, any long distance walkers in the house?

Have signed up for the ITEX walk which is a 48 mile walk round the island of Jersey for Charity...in ONE DAY!

Been doing 15 mile walks for a while now, and done more in practice, but just wondering if anybody has ever walked that distance before and some general tips.

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Walking
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:05:08 pm »

I haven't done any long distance walks, but I've done ultra-distance bike rides (600 miles/ 2 days), and swims (20+ mile events)

Running is my weak spot, (I hate it), but I've found that universally across all distance events, there comes a point you become mentally fatigued. Yes, you're sore and tired, but around hour 8 (between 24 and 32 miles), you'll just be thinking to yourself "what the hell am I doing? This sucks."

For me, I find mind games help. Count every mile as it's own % to finish. First mile in? Easy. 2%. Next mile? 2%. They add up quick. And when you're 65-80% through, you think back to how easy each 2% is... And keep pushing.

Have someone to talk to / walk with! Nothing takes your mind off what your doing better than some friendly company.

Lastly, nutrition/hydration. I won't really get into this. Not enough time or space in a forum post. ;-) You  start really  attention to what you put into your body a week out. Recognize that  on the day of the event, especially towards the end, your body is going to start shutting down unneeded functions in order to conserve and channel energy to moving. One of the first things to shut down is your metabolism. You stop processing new nutrients. Because of this, staying on top of your hydration, salts, and sugars early is very very important.

I'm not sure what time frame they allow for you to finish, but most likely, if you need to stop and rest, stop. You'll have the time. If they give you a full 24 hours, all you need to average is 2 MPH.

And finally, training. Generally, 13 Miles is good. You'll want to slip one our two longer distance in (24 to 30), but probably nothing more. Training between 25% to 50% of the event distance is going to allow your body to train for the "feel"of the longer distance, without stressing too much.

Cheers! ;D

Oh, and I forgot to finish my earlier thought. After you get past the "What the hell am I doing?" and you reach the end... Best feeling in the world. Even if standing up is hard to do at that point. ;-)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:27:19 am by Galzria »
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:08:45 pm »

Cheers, all advice is appreciated.

I can't do running either...no concept of pace

I am 'aiming' for 16 hours, so 3 miles an hour on average, but probably may bring that down a bit depending on how it goes.

The 13-15 mile stuff was just generally before I started on this, done a couple of 20 milers, and a 26 miles on Saturday (which I did way too fast and still hurt)

hjackson

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:42:35 am »

Though it is such a pain to walk for a huge amount of distance, it is something that has to be done to benefit the body and actually save the environment.

When people turn with all the stuff they have that consume a lot of fuel and petrol they are going one against the nature of actually being able to conserve which I hope should be one of those that would be just right, in any case possible.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:51:13 am »

Though it is such a pain to walk for a huge amount of distance, it is something that has to be done to benefit the body and actually save the environment.

When people turn with all the stuff they have that consume a lot of fuel and petrol they are going one against the nature of actually being able to conserve which I hope should be one of those that would be just right, in any case possible.

Hmm, im not doing it to save the enviroment at all, plus its in Jersey, so I am flying to get there!

Ha!  Take that enviroment!

In other news, im doing this in 10 days! Extremely apprehensive!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:08 am »

Hmm, im not doing it to save the enviroment at all, plus its in Jersey, so I am flying to get there!

Ha! I had just thought about this the other day! Probably because of the Mafia games. I mean, you know: Mafia -> Jersey -> Ozle :: That's a logical thought process, right?? ??? ;D

Ah, you'll do fine. Funniest thing I've noticed after events are over though: you don't really feel like sitting. You just want to walk around / stand around. It's kinda counter-intuitive, but (usually) true!

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 09:26:52 am »

Ha! I had just thought about this the other day! Probably because of the Mafia games. I mean, you know: Mafia -> Jersey -> Ozle :: That's a logical thought process, right?? ??? ;D

Ah, you'll do fine. Funniest thing I've noticed after events are over though: you don't really feel like sitting. You just want to walk around / stand around. It's kinda counter-intuitive, but (usually) true!

Ahh, the Jersey Mafia, i'll watch out for them on the way round!

Im currently confident of at least 30 miles if the conditions are good, thats when the real hilly bits start. Some of the money i am raising for charity is based on distance, so go to get as far as I can!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:26:47 pm »
+3

Just a quick note to say that I finished this, 48.2 miles in 18 hours (and a pesky minute!)

Thats me done for walking for good now! Cars all the way!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:51:19 pm »

Just a quick note to say that I finished this, 48.2 miles in 18 hours (and a pesky minute!)

Haha! Congrats, well done. /cheer

Mafia Record:

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 01:43:23 am »

Congrats! That must be satisfying!
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 03:41:02 am »

Oh it so was!

Apparently only 10% of first time people finish it, so I was well chuffed with that.

Managed to raise about £300 for my charity as well!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 12:17:43 am »
+1

Just hiked to the top of Mt. Fuji yesterday!

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 12:21:12 am »

I spent some time studying abroad in Japan/other countries of the Pacific Rim this past fall and visited Mt. Fuji with my host family! It was out of season for hiking to the top but I would have loved to, it was beautiful!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 12:22:33 am »

I spent some time studying abroad in Japan/other countries of the Pacific Rim this past fall and visited Mt. Fuji with my host family! It was out of season for hiking to the top but I would have loved to, it was beautiful!
It was? There was so much fog I didn't see much of it.  :(

Mad, I tell you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 12:23:52 am »

It was? There was so much fog I didn't see much of it.  :(

It was very foggy the first time I went! But the second time I went it was clear skies and indeed very beautiful.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 04:45:19 am »

Wow im extremely jealous!

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.