Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Why don't we have Dominion Game Notation yet?  (Read 13667 times)

GenericKen

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Why don't we have Dominion Game Notation yet?
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:48:22 am »
+1

It seems bizarre that the annotated games on the site are such a pain to read and write. Why haven't we developed a standard notation system for dominion games? The isotropic logs are nice and (somewhat) comprehensive, but they're cumbersome. Most games don't last longer than 22 turns - we shouldn't have to scroll to review a game.

Here's my proposal. I've put maybe 40 minutes of thought into this, so I'll try to keep it short.
-Most of the information available in a dominion game is unnecessary. +buys are only important in some games. Cursers and trashing are only important in some games. The most important thing about a dominion notation system will be extensability.
-It almost never matters if you draw 5 coppers or if you draw 3 coppers, a silver, and an estate. It also almost never matters if you end the turn with extra + actions or extra + buys. For treasures, VPs, terminal silvers and villages, the only things that matter are what you buy, what you could have bought, and what's left in your deck.
-It almost never matters what order your action cards are played in. A lab chain is a lab chain. While the decisions made during the turn may be important to prolonging the engine's run that turn, they generally will not affect the next turn outside of what actions are played and what actions are discarded, which tells us what's left in the deck. If the order is important

Rough notation format:
<turn#>. $<coins>(-$<costReduction>), +[<cardsGained>(<top>)], -[<cardsTrashed>], @+[<cardsGivenToOpponent>], @-[<cardsTrashedByOpponent>], <#played><*onShuffle><KC played>(mode, reaction(mode)) #<#discarded><KC discarded> <*onShuffle>

Details:
-A * goes at the end of turn if we shuffle drawing our 5 cards for the next turn, and a * prefixes an action if it causes a shuffle in turn.
-When multiple gains/trashes are made, the most expensive should listed first.
-CSGP, EDPCol are copper, silver... and Estate, Dutchy... adb$ are +action, draw, buy, and coin.

Here's a standard doublejack:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120507-234742-e0c1d27c.html

Vineyard; PearlD; Look(Lookout); Vil; Potion, Joat; HoP, Gov, Lab, Tres(Treasury); GM
cassandre  ;  GenericKen
1. $4 +Joat  ;  $4 +Joat
2. $3 +Look *  ;  $3 +S *
3. $3 +S  ;  $4 +[Joat, S], -E, 1Joat
4. $4 +[S,S], -C, 1*Look, 1Joat  ;  $5 +Lab *
5. $3 +S, -C, 1Look  ;  $6 +G, 1Lab
6. $7 +[G,S], 1*Joat  ;  $1 +S, 1Joat, #1Joat *
7. $6 +GM  ;  $8 +[P,S], 1Joat
8. $7 +G, -C, 1Look, 1GM  ;  $5 +Lab, 1Joat *
9. $8 +[P,S], -E, 1Joat *  ;  $7 +G
10. $10 +[P,S], 1Joat ; $9 +[P,S], 2Lab, 1Joat *
11. $5 +T, -S, 1Look *  ;  $8 +[P,S], 1Joat
12. $7 +[D,E], 1GM  ;  $7 +D
13. $6 +[G,S], 1Joat  ;  $5 +[D,S], 1Joat  *
14. $9 +P *  ;  $11 +P, 2Lab
15. $9 +P

Here it is again w/ some unnecessary info stripped out ($ amounts when not overspent, 1s on single actions). I'm not sure if this makes it easier or harder to read:
cassandre  ;  GenericKen
1. +Joat  ;  +Joat
2. +Look *  ;  +S *
3. +S  ;  +[Joat, S], -E, Joat
4. $4 +[S,S], -C, *Look, 1Joat  ;  +Lab *
5. +S, -C, Look  ;  +G, 1Lab
6. $7 +[G,S], *Joat  ;  $1 +S, Joat, #Joat *
7. +GM  ;  +[P,S], Joat
8. $7 +G, -C, Look, 1GM  ;  +Lab, Joat *
9. +[P,S], -E, Joat *  ;  $7 +G
10. $10 +[P,S], Joat ; $9 +[P,S], 2Lab, Joat *
11. +Tres, -S, Look *  ;  +[P,S], Joat
12. $7 +[D,E], GM  ;  $7 +D
13. +[G,S], Joat  ;  +[D,S], Joat  *
14. $9 +P *  ;  $11 +P, 2Lab
15. $9 +P

And again with no played actions (shuffles should tell you the rate of draw):
cassandre  ;  GenericKen
1. +Joat  ;  +Joat
2. +Look *  ;  +S *
3. +S  ;  +[Joat, S], -E
4. $4 +[S,S], -C, *Look  ;  +Lab *
5. +S, -C  ;  +G
6. $7 +[G,S] *Look ;  $1 +S,  #Joat *
7. +GM  ;  +[P,S]
8. $7 +G, -C  ;  +Lab *
9. +[P,S], -E *  ;  $7 +G
10. $10 +[P,S] ; $9 +[P,S],  *
11. +Tres, -S *  ;  +[P,S]
12. $7 +[D,E]  ;  $7 +D
13. +[G,S]  ;  +[D,S] *
14. $9 +P *  ;  $11 +P
15. $9 +P

Another random one:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120406-224153-8d57b904.html
Haven, Pawn; Tunl(Tunnel); Envoy; Inn, Mine, Trib(Tribute), RS (Royal Seal); GM; Forge
gorney  ;  GenericKen
1. +Pawn  ;  +S
2. +Inn(shuf 2) *  ;  +Envoy *
3. +Envoy, Pawn(a,d), Inn *  ;  +RS, #S *
4. $4 +Tunn  ;  +Envoy
5. $4 +Tunn, #C *  ;  $7 +G, #RS *
6. $4 +Tunn, Inn  ;  +RS, #RS
7. +Haven, #P, #C  ;  $9 +GM(top), #RS
8. $4 +S *  ;  $9 +P, RS, #G, #Envoy
9. +S, Inn, Haven, #C  ;  +RS(top) *
10. +Inn(shuf 3), Pawn(a,$) *  ;  $9 +GM(top), #RS
11. $6 +Inn(shuf 1), 2Inn, Haven, #S  ;  $7 +G *
12. +[Tunn, 2G], *Inn, Pawn(d,$)  ;  $9 +P, #GM
13. +P, Haven, #Inn  ;  $7 +G(top)
14. +[Inn(shuf 4), G], Inn  ;  +[P, Trib(top)], #G
15. +[P, 4G], Inn, *Envoy, 2Inn, Pawn(d,$), #G  ;  $9 +P, Trib(2d,$2(G))
16. $7 +D *  ;  $9 +P, #Envoy, #RS
17. $6 +[D, 2G], Inn  ;  $6 +D
18. $7 +D  ;  +Tunn
19. $6 +D  ;  +[P,E], Trib(C,Haven)

Unfortunately, Isotropic doesn't log what Inn discarded, so it's hard to know whether gorney was discarding coppers or green cards, and hard to know how much value was left in his deck.

This is just a rough idea. It would be nice to strike a balance between fidelity, ease of reading, and ease of writing (it's still a pain to transcribe, but if the rules are formal enough, we could write a parser).

Please contribute with any suggestions or amendments to my notation format.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Why don't we have Dominion Game Notation yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:16:18 am »
+1

Have you seen the notation sometimes used on the main blog?  That presents a similar amount of information, but the tabular spacing and unabbreviated names makes it much easier to read.

One factor working against developing a good notation is that whilst Dominion is a fun game to play, it isn't so fascinating going over games played by others.  It's less useful than for a game like Chess, as for Dominion the set-up changes all the time and knowing exactly how someone played a particular Kingdom once isn't going to do all that much to help you in the future.

On the occasions when you do want to go over a game, the log does a reasonable job.  Apart from adding the missing information (what was discarded? what was passed with Masquerade?), for me the biggest improvement over a log would be a log "player", that allows you to step through the game turn by turn and action by action, displaying the information you get during a game plus extra details of the game state such as deck/discard pile contents for each player (along the lines of that currently provided for the logs on Council Room).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:23:13 am »
+2

A log player would be a very nice thing to have.

I have the same detached feeling when I read Poker hand logs. You read it from top to bottom and don't feel any of the excitement that the players must have felt.

A log player somewhat helps with this. You can stop and ask yourself: "What will he do here?" ...click.... "Oh my, a reraise!"
Such a replayer where you can't immediately see the end result and can focus much more on how the game evolves and the choices the players are faced with would be nice.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:30:20 am »

I already mentioned this in another thread and tried to find a notation which clearly can log all cards without having a different notation for each card.
The goal was to be able to log games played IRL and to post solutions to puzzles here in the forum. I won't post all the notation here, but this is what I came for:

First I assigned a two-letter abbreviation to each card (and single-letter abbreviations for standard cards). Then I tried to figure out what all cards have basically in common, and that is manipulation of the location of all cards.
All is about drawing in the hand, discarding, putting into play, revealing and so on.
I assigned different brackets to each location, so I defined {draw pile} (hand) <discard pile> and |play area| and the opening bracket can define where a card comes from and the second where it goes to, examples:
TN{E) means I play a Tournament and draw an Estate (from draw pile into hand)
when notations refer to a specific card played I put that in these [brackets]
CE[(EX1>; {32D)] means I play a Cellar and discard (from hand to discard pile) an Estate, a Curse and a Copper to draw a Gold, a Silver and a Duchy.
For revealing I simply add °, e.g.
AD[{°AD,E,X>; {°31)] means an Adventurer revealed another Adventurer, Estate and Curse from the draw pile and discarded them and the Gold and Copper were revealed and go to my hand (note that the order drawn is not displayed because it's not that relevant).
Cards gained are displayed with an +, and trashed with an -, and other players are referenced with p1, p2 etc
+IG[p1+X>]> means I get an Ill-Gotten Gains (from supply to discard) and player one gets a Curse (from supply to discard).

The goal I tried to achieve (condensed logs without ambiguos meanings) were achieved, but I know that this is not a very good readable format. But if anyone still want all info about my logging system, I will post a full explanation here. Here what a log could look like:
Code: [Select]
5(1111E)0 |1111| +TN> (111EE)
0(111EE)6 |111| +2> (&2111E)
7(2111E)0 |2111| +3> (TN,111E)
2(TN,111E)6 |TN{E)111| +TN> (1&3211)
9(13211)0 |32111| +P> (111EE)
4(111EE)6 |111| +2> (TN,TN,1E&P)
11(TN,TN,1E&P)0 |TN{°P>[+FW)](FW},TN{1),FW{11)+E>,1111| +FL[{E-+TN>]>

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:31:10 am »
+2

The problem with a lot of these systems is that it's also not intuitive.  Chess suffers from this problem, but if you're into chess you've already demonstrated a willingness to invest that kind of time to learn a notation system.  Dominion, on the other hand, has a much broader audience to account for.

Also, Chess has only 8 pieces that you need to know about.  Dominion has over a hundred.

I think the old blog system (where you selectively choose which Actions and game bits to annotate) is probably best, but it's a pain to write up.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 11:32:19 am »
+1

Why excise all the actions?  Sure, a Lab chain is a Lab chain (and that could probably be abbreviated), but I'm totally fine with Iso logs because you see exactly what the players do.  Sure, it's the end result of each turn that matters, but it's the means to that result that a) is the whole point of playing the game b) shows who the better player is c) can be very satisfying to play and to see played.  True, unless you're playing a Bank, you don't really need to know the exact makeup of the Coppers and Silvers thrown on the table, so I agree that certain things should be excised or abbreviated in notation.  But to get rid of all the Actions just makes it all rather bland.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:53 pm »

The problem with a lot of these systems is that it's also not intuitive.  Chess suffers from this problem, but if you're into chess you've already demonstrated a willingness to invest that kind of time to learn a notation system.  Dominion, on the other hand, has a much broader audience to account for.

Also, Chess has only 8 pieces that you need to know about.  Dominion has over a hundred.

I think the old blog system (where you selectively choose which Actions and game bits to annotate) is probably best, but it's a pain to write up.

Gotta agree here.  A while back I tried my hand at creating a notation system like one of the ones described here... and even from the simplest perspective possible, it was too complex to be human-readable.  And I disagree with theory about chess's notation not being intuitive; every single line in a chess log consists of a move from one coordinate to another coordinate, and these coordinates are easily understood by anyone who took algebra in 9th grade.

The other notations in a chess log--captures and checks--aren't actually necessary to the system, but they add something for people who aren't going to set up a board (or can't follow in their heads).

Meanwhile, Dominion has at least a dozen possible "moves":  take an action, buy a card, draw, trash, top-deck, gain, reveal, discard, shuffle, look, pass, react, I've likely missed some.  Often you'll do several of these on the same turn.  So each line is now a mishmash of multiple actions with multiple cards.  Not to mention that things can happen on other players' turns; notating a 3P game becomes ridiculous if the players are spamming Militia.  And how do you plan to log a 30-action turn full of KC, Goons, GM, Bazaar, Bishop?

I don't think you can do better than a machine-readable notation here.  But in an era where the transfer of 1 MB of data takes only a few seconds even on very slow connections, is there really a big functional difference between a log 1000 characters long and one 50k characters long?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »

Chess notation is incredibly intuitive...
Letter of Piece you Move) (Square it Moves to) with X for capture, + for check, ++ for checkmate,  O-O, O-O-O, and E.P. for the three special moves..

I explained it in little over a line :P. Unless you still use one of the obnoxious archaic notations...

Edit: OK.. also =Q,R,N,or B for pawn promotion... and you don't need to write P for pawn.. and you need to define the original square when two of the same piece can move to a square.

I resign.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 02:52:53 pm by O »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 03:05:09 pm »
+1

http://web.mit.edu/puzzle/www/12/sheila_sunshine/sovereignty/

Exactly, that was what I was refering to and it was the inspiration for my notation.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 03:11:07 pm »
+1

I thought about how to programatically remove unimportant information from the logs.  One possibly reasonable way to do it is to try to predict the next line from the previous one, as in language modelling.  If the next line is predictable, drop it.

EG, most of the time,

"Foo plays a warehouse"

is followed by

"Foo draws 3 cards and discards 3 cards"  (or whatever, don't want to look it up the exact message)

That probably happens >95% of the time someone plays a warehouse, and so it's basically contentless.

But if they draw < 3 cards because they've drawn most of their deck, that is useful/interesting/unexpected, and should be kept in the log.

This approach gracefully handles what to display empirically and it's a nice familiar format that anyone can understand.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 06:22:55 pm »
+1

I bet it would be possible to define a notation like GenericKen's that also takes that kind of expected effect into account.

Suppose you expand the format a bit to show what happens when you play a card. Maybe "c" for drawing a card, "d" for discarding, + for gaining/getting a card in some other awy, - for trashing/returning/passing, $ for +$1, b for +1 buy, a for +1 action, etc, possibly with a multiplier. You would put it in brackets after the card. But you could also have defaults for each card, like [2c a] is assumed for a Laboratory so you can just say "Lab" instead of "Lab 2c a", or Baron always comes with +1 buy so you leave that out.

So for example, playing a Baron to get an Estate is Bar[+e]. Playing it to get $4 is Bar[d $4]. A Spice Merchant for cards and actions is Spi[-C 2c a], and for coins and buys it's Spi[-C $2 b]. A Cutpurse that connects is Cut[$2; d], indicating that the next player discards, or just Cut[; d] because the $2 is always there. A Village that draws nothing because your deck is empty is Vil[0c].

With the expanded format, it's probably a bad idea to try to put everyone's turn 1 on the same line. I'd probably also stick to 1 to 3 letters in the card abbreviations. This also leaves room to show the hands drawn, though I didn't do that below. Here's a transcript of http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120512-004426-b37dc249.html, and yes my shuffle-fu is weak in this game:

a = rij, b = rspeer. Relevant cards are Smu=Smugglers, Alc=Alchemist, Pwn=Pawn, Mkt=Market, TM=Treasure Map, Ped=Peddler, P=Potion, S=Silver, G=Gold, lowercase cards are victory cards.

1a. $4 -> P
1b. $4 -> P

2a. $3 -> Smu *
2b. $3 -> S *

3a. Smu[+S] $3 -> S
3b. $3P -> Alc

4a. $2P -> Pwn *
4b. $4 -> TM *

5a. Smu[+TM] $5 -> Mkt
5b. $4 -> TM

6a. Pwn[c$] $3 -> S *
6b. Alc $3P -> Alc; >Alc *    (that's returning an Alchemist to the top of the deck)

7a. $6P -> Alc
7b. Alc $4 -> P

8a. Mkt Smu[+P] $5 -> Mkt
8b. Alc $3P -> Alc; >Alc *

9a. Pwn[c$] $4 -> TM *
9b. Alc $3P -> Alc; >Alc

10a. Mkt Alc Smu[] $3P -> Alc; >Alc
10b. Alc $3P -> Alc

11a. Alc Pwn[c$] $7 -> Mkt
11b. Alc* Alc Alc Alc Alc $6P -> Mkt; >5Alc

12a. Mkt TM[-2TM, +4G] $5 -> Mkt
12b. Alc Alc Alc* Alc Alc Mkt $8P -> pro, Ped; >5Alc

13a. $12P -> pro *
13b. Alc Alc Alc* Alc Alc Ped $6PP -> 3; >5Alc

14a. Mkt Alc Pwn[c$] $9 -> pro
14b. Alc Alc Alc Alc* Alc Mkt $10P -> pro, Ped; >5Alc

15a. Mkt $9 -> pro
15b. Alc Alc Alc Alc Alc* Ped $6PP -> 3; >5Alc

16a. Alc Mkt $10PP -> pro, Pwn; >Alc
16b. Alc Alc Alc Alc Ped Mkt Alc* Ped $11 -> pro, e

17a. Mkt Alc* Alc Pwn[a$] Smu[+e] $5 -> duc, Ped
17b. $4P -> e *

18a. $7P -> duc
18b. $4P -> e *

19a. Mkt Mkt $5 -> duc
19b. Mkt Alc $5 -> duc

20a. Mkt Pwn[c$] $10P -> pro, e *
rij 44 - rspeer 27

GenericKen

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 06:48:38 pm »

Chess notation is also extensible. If it's ambiguous which knight or rook is advancing to a space, the notation must expand to specify which is moving, but the vast majority of the time, it's explicit what happened. I feel the same about dominion.

I think I didn't communicate my goal well enough.

The point of a notation system isn't to replace the isotropic logs, but to summarize them into a format that's readable WITHOUT scrolling. We don't need to manually & losslessly compress the data - we have gzip for that. I want to compress the data in the physical space it takes on the page. As much information as there is in a game of dominion, the vast majority does not affect the decisions you make as a player. We can compromise a bit on fidelity of information for the sake of readability.

If the first two buys were S and S, and if turns 3 and 4 resulted in $5 and $4, it doesn't matter if they were 5C or 3CSE or C2S2E for the $5 or some other combination for the $4. The last 2 cards of the deck contain $2. Noting turns 3 and 4 as simply $5 and $4 does introduce ambiguity, but it's an ambiguity that doesn't actually affect your decision making in game. If a kingdom card in your hand (say, Upgrade), does make that ambiguity matter, the ambiguity can be clarified by the notes on the action.

This ambiguity can extend to engine chains. As difficult as it can be to keep an engine running, most engines do run themselves. That is to say, a best-decision tends to exist. Even the most complex King's Court chain can be easily defined by the end-state - what cards were played and what cards weren't - who gained what and how many times you shuffled. Whether you draw your deck or fizzle rarely has anything to do with your decision making while running the engine - if you do accidentally kill your own engine, the fizzle is fully described by the cards you drew but did not (could not) play.

This may be a bit overambitious, as the isotropic logs do not show what got discarded. If a player bought warehouse-militia, it's hard to know whether the milita is getting discarded to warehouse or to the opponent's militias.

I've tried cleaning up my example w/ monospacing & tabs here:
Code: [Select]
Vine(Vineyard);  Perl (PearlDiver);  Look(Lookout);  Vil; Pot (Potion), Joat (JackOfAllTrades);  HoP (HornOfPlenty), Gov, Lab, Tres(Treasury);  GM (GrandMarket)

cassandre ;  GenericKen
1. +Joat ;  +Joat
2. +Look * ;  +S *
3. +S ;  +[Joat,S], -E
4. $4 +[S,S], -C, *Look ;  +Lab *
5. +S, -C ;  +G
6. $7 +[G,S] *Look ;  $1 +S,  #Joat *
7. +GM ;  +[P,S]
8. $7 +G, -C ;  +Lab *
9. +[P,S], -E * ;  $7 +G
10. $10 +[P,S] ; $9 +[P,S],  *
11. +Tres, -S * ;  +[P,S]
12. $7 +[D,E] ;  $7 +D
13. +[G,S] ;  +[D,S] *
14. $9 +P * ;  $11 +P
15. $9 +P

It's better, but it can still stand improvement. Adoption is important, and most people understand 4/3 vs 2/5 openings. I had great hopes for listing the total $ each turn, as people can extrapolate from turns 1 and 2, but all those '$'s were very distracting. Joat might not be the best example of a simple game log, as the card does like 4 things.

It's also still hard to read when the turns are so uneven - some turns have nothing but treasure, and some turns draw the deck several times.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »

I don't think anything with columns is going to catch on. It's already hard to do on a forum, and if you have a big turn then you have to try to do things with wrapping that most text editors are not equipped to do.

Seeing the money amounts is far from distracting; you can glance at them over the course of the game and get an idea of the flow of the game. You can't do that if you're trying to mentally substitute how much each card is worth.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 06:49:14 am »
+1

Still I think the best way to describe Dominion turns is human processing combined with skipping/compressing non interesting moves.

For instance:

6. PlayerA plays his 5 Alchemists, buys a Province and puts all Alchemists back
From this line you can infer almost everything:
- He has 5 Alchemists
- He had at least $8
- He had drawn his Potion

Often, there's no need to be explicit.
If someone has $9 and 2 Buys, is it important to know he didn't buy anything besides a Province or that he had the extra buy?

I like the old notation from the annotated games.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 08:46:54 am »
+2

How about something like this (annotated game from the blog):

Turn 1:
WW: Masquerade with $4
Geronimoo: Masquerade

Turn 2:
WW: Silver Reshuffles
Geronimoo: Silver with $4 Reshuffles

Turn 3:
WW: trashes Estate with Masquerade Venture (-1VP)
Geronimoo: Young Witch

Turn 4:
WW: Silver with $4 Reshuffles
Geronimoo: trashes Estate with Masquerade Festival Reshuffles (0VP)

Turn 5:
WW: trashes Estate with Masquerade Venture (-1VP)
Geronimoo: Young Witch with $5

Turn 6:
WW: Gold Reshuffles
Geronimoo: trashes Estate with Masquerade Crossroads with $3 Reshuffles (0VP)

Turn 7:
WW: trashes Copper with Masquerade Province (+6VP)
Geronimoo: trashes Estate with Masquerade Festival with $6 (-7VP)

Turn 8:
WW: Venture Reshuffles
Geronimoo: Reshuffles Festival + 2 Young Witches deal out 2 Curses Walled Village (-5VP)

Turn 9:
WW: Gold
Geronimoo: Watchtower + Native Village with $6 Reshuffles

Turn 10:
WW: Province Reshuffles (+11VP)
Geronimoo: deals out a Curse with Young Witch Festival (-10VP)

Turn 11:
WW: Gold
Geronimoo: Festival + Watchtower Reshuffles

Turn 12:
WW: Pawn
Geronimoo: trashes Copper with Masquerade, deals out 2 Curses with Young Witches Watchtower + Native Village with $6 (-8VP)

Turn 13:
WW: Province (+14VP)
Geronimoo: Reshuffles Festival/Watchtower chain, deals out 2 Curses with Young Witches Festival + Watchtower Reshuffles (-12VP)

Turn 14:
WW: trashes Curse with Masquerade Province (+19VP)
Geronimoo: Festival/Watchtower chain, trashes Curse with Masquerade, deals out Curse with Young Witch Highway + Festival + Watchtower Reshuffles (-19VP)

Turn 15:
WW: Masquerade with $4
Geronimoo: deals out 2 Curses with Young Witches DISCONNECT (-17VP)

The idea is to quickly see the buys because they are underlined. The remarkable plays/buys are in bold. The interesting actions and reshuffles in italic and finally the difference in VP-points in brackets.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 08:51:06 am »
+1

I think if this:

cassandre         ;  GenericKen
1. +Joat         ;  +Joat
2. +Look *         ;  +S *

style catchs on, you will lose a lot of casual interest in the board and discussion over logs. Its just a pain to look through unless you know what they all mean, and only the proper hard core people will want to do that.

Geronimoo's looks much nicer to read (but assume it takes more time)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 08:56:23 am »
+3

I really don't like the abbreviations. People aren't computers who can easily map the abbreviation to the complete name.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 08:59:05 am »
+1

I really don't like the abbreviations. People aren't computers who can easily map the abbreviation to the complete name.

+ in contrast to dead trees, there should be enough space on the internet to write the full names...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 09:03:41 am »

I heard the internet was nearly full up though...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 09:27:06 am »
+2

Here's another example where I transcribe the Annotated game #2 between MMM and theory

(I used the * for reshuffle)

Turn 1:
MMM: Silver with $4
theory: Silver

Turn 2:
MMM: Silver *
theory: Baron *

Turn 3:
MMM: Silver
theory: Silver with $4

Turn 4:
MMM: Apprentice with $7 *
theory: Gold with $7 *

Turn 5:
MMM: Silver with $4
theory: Gold

Turn 6:
MMM: Apprentice with $7 *
theory: Gold *

Turn 7:
MMM: Apprentice an Estate Gold with $7 (-1VP)
theory: Mine with $7

Turn 8:
MMM: Apprentice an Estate Apprentice * (-2VP)
theory: Platinum

Turn 9:
MMM: Gold
theory: Embargo with $3

Turn 10:
MMM: Apprentice an Estate and a Copper Gold with $7 * (-3VP)
theory: Embargoes the Platinums Mine with $10!?

Turn 11:
MMM: Apprentice a Silver and a Copper Gold with $7
theory: Apprentice with $8

Turn 12:
MMM: Apprentice a Silver Colony * (+7VP)
theory: Mine Gold into Platinum Apprentice with $9 *

Turn 13:
MMM: Apprentice a Silver and a Silver Colony * (+17VP)
theory: Apprentice an Estate, Mine Copper into Silver Embargo with $4 (-18VP)

Turn 14:
MMM: Apprentice a Gold Colony (+28VP)
theory: Mine Silver into Gold Tactician?

Turn 15:
MMM: Apprentice an Apprentice and a Gold Colony * (+38VP)
theory: Apprentice an Estate Colony with $16 (-29VP)

Turn 16:
MMM: Apprentice a Colony Colony * (+29VP)
theory: Province with $10 (-23VP)

Turn 17:
MMM: Apprentice a Colony Colony * (+23VP)
theory: Embargoes the Colonies Province with $11 (-17VP)

Turn 18:
MMM: Apprentice a Colony Colony (Curse gained) * (+16VP)

This took me 20 minutes to transcribe (to get an idea)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 09:32:52 am »

I like Geronimoo's/Davio's prose style.  I'll try that out next time.

Fate

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 09:59:35 am »

I like having the score differential posted at the end of each turn.  It allows me to get a feel for what stage the game is at without having to keep track in my head or waiting for an update.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 10:33:12 am »
+3

I like having the score differential posted at the end of each turn.  It allows me to get a feel for what stage the game is at without having to keep track in my head or waiting for an update.

I think I'd actually prefer the score written rather than the score differential.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

I agree with Kirian.  Once I realized what it meant, the differential was fine, but I the players total would make more sense to me.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.