Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32  All

Author Topic: Mafia II: Of Goons and Woodcutters GAME OVER Mafia Wins!  (Read 95726 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia II: Of Goons and Woodcutters (Day 1)
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »

Not voting is not suspicious at this stage.

I disagree. I would think that a true member of the Mafia would be interested in withholding his vote until he can condemn an innocent person. This does not mean that I hold Robz and Insomniac in suspicion based on their lack of votes. I just don't think there's any behavior in here  that completely allays suspicion.

My original plan for changing my vote to bozzball was to push the vote up to 3 to see if the Mafia players would jump on and push the vote to 5. Unfortunately, the vote is at 2, as Galzria changed his vote shortly after

So now Morgim has 3 votes. I've yet to see 2 players jump in and push it to5. I'm making a pretty big assumption that the Mafia players would be interested in placing their 2 votes on someone to push the number to 5. I say that, but it's quite possible that the Mafia players already suspected that delaying votes would be suspicious. They may even realize that concentrating their votes on one person would be suspicious also.

So, if I go with the idea that Mafia players would wait to place a vote, then the fact that Mogrim doesn't have a majority yet casts him in the role of Mafia. Paradoxically, Mogrim voted for bozzball early, so if I vote for Mogrim on that assumption, then I have to recognize that my assumption is faulty, since Mogrim contradicted it.

Although, another thought comes to mind. Since you can change your vote at any time, it's actually unlikely that the Mafia will wait to vote for someone. They can accomplish the same thing by changing their vote to tip someone over to majority vote.

There's a reason I don't like to reveal my thought process. To be fair, whoever is in the Mafia probably already thought of these things already. I read a little in the first game and saw the claim that a talking town is more likely to be efficient in lynching. I still kind of question that, but I guess I'll leave my experiments at home and speak more freely. I still don't like saying what I think where the Mafia players can hear. Just because they are more logical gamers doesn't mean they'll think of everything.

After all that, I'm still not convinced in a particular direction.

So if you really believe we have no more information than we did when we started, well, you're doing it wrong.

I don't dispute that there is more information I question the amount of useful information. In fact, I'd say that a lot of these posts are actually harmful to the town, which should be expected when you have two people working in tandem to undermine us.

Hell, in this post, I simultaneously condemned and exonerated Mogrim. Well, not really exonerate. I'll still vote for him if there's a compelling reason. People are eagerly awaiting Tables's analysis. I'll join in on that and see what he has to say.
A man has no signature

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2012, 03:10:35 pm »

No pressure, Tables.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2012, 03:43:10 pm »

Not voting is not suspicious at this stage.

I disagree. I would think that a true member of the Mafia would be interested in withholding his vote until he can condemn an innocent person. This does not mean that I hold Robz and Insomniac in suspicion based on their lack of votes. I just don't think there's any behavior in here  that completely allays suspicion.

My original plan for changing my vote to bozzball was to push the vote up to 3 to see if the Mafia players would jump on and push the vote to 5. Unfortunately, the vote is at 2, as Galzria changed his vote shortly after

So now Morgim has 3 votes. I've yet to see 2 players jump in and push it to5. I'm making a pretty big assumption that the Mafia players would be interested in placing their 2 votes on someone to push the number to 5. I say that, but it's quite possible that the Mafia players already suspected that delaying votes would be suspicious. They may even realize that concentrating their votes on one person would be suspicious also.

So, if I go with the idea that Mafia players would wait to place a vote, then the fact that Mogrim doesn't have a majority yet casts him in the role of Mafia. Paradoxically, Mogrim voted for bozzball early, so if I vote for Mogrim on that assumption, then I have to recognize that my assumption is faulty, since Mogrim contradicted it.

Although, another thought comes to mind. Since you can change your vote at any time, it's actually unlikely that the Mafia will wait to vote for someone. They can accomplish the same thing by changing their vote to tip someone over to majority vote.

There's a reason I don't like to reveal my thought process. To be fair, whoever is in the Mafia probably already thought of these things already. I read a little in the first game and saw the claim that a talking town is more likely to be efficient in lynching. I still kind of question that, but I guess I'll leave my experiments at home and speak more freely. I still don't like saying what I think where the Mafia players can hear. Just because they are more logical gamers doesn't mean they'll think of everything.

After all that, I'm still not convinced in a particular direction.

So if you really believe we have no more information than we did when we started, well, you're doing it wrong.

I don't dispute that there is more information I question the amount of useful information. In fact, I'd say that a lot of these posts are actually harmful to the town, which should be expected when you have two people working in tandem to undermine us.

Hell, in this post, I simultaneously condemned and exonerated Mogrim. Well, not really exonerate. I'll still vote for him if there's a compelling reason. People are eagerly awaiting Tables's analysis. I'll join in on that and see what he has to say.

To be fair, following your line of thought was exactly why I changed to Morgrim from Bozzball at that time. While I was (and am still) suspicious of Bozzball, I am much more so of Morgrim. I didn't think it was fair to set Bozzball up to fall, and my initial vote was the first cast in that direction. I'm still willing to go back if he does anything more incriminating, but I'm not ready to put him in a position to be lynched quite yet.

I wonder though. What would the Mafia gain by dividing us? If Bozzball has 2, and Morgrim has 2 (with me at the moment being the Votecast to 3 on either), would it be fair to hazard a guess that there is NOT a Mafia on both sides right now? There are 4 no casts, although 2 lean Morgrim....

Let me clarify, since I'm circling myself and getting confused:
IF, either Morgrim or Bozzball are Mafia, that leaves 1 more.
IF, Morgrim and Bozzball lead in votes, their partner is likely to cast a vote for the other person.
GIVEN, Morgrim has cast for Bozzball shortly after I did, and then the "ball" started rolling, he picked up to 3.
GIVEN, Bozzball has cast randomly, at Robz888.
THEN, to my mind, Morgrim is more likely to be suspect, yes?

A caveat to that: Bozzball could be sitting in the wings waiting to switch his vote. His partner would most likely be someone who has cast their vote already, not someone waiting. Otherwise, they could bump Morgrim up to 5 now (although they may be waiting for Tables to try and withhold suspicion).

Given all that (And I do apologize if I was unclear above. If so, just ask and I'll try my best to straighten out my thoughts), I think my vote on Morgrim right now will stand. But I am VERY much still concerned that Bozzball might have it goin' on.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2012, 03:57:18 pm »

Ok, even rereading it again, that's all confusing to me still... and I wrote it!  8)

I'm on the fence between Bozzball and Morgrim. I'm leaning Morgrim. I didn't think it was fair to put Bozzball at 3 votes, in case he ISN'T the Mafia, whereas I feel more comfortable running Morgrim's vote count up (especially to 3, because I BELIEVE him to be Mafia, and don't think he can be 2-vote hammered (which appears to be the case)).

Further, I find Morgrim's vote on Bozzball much more intriguing. It looks like a "point the finger at the next most likely suspect and hope it stands" move. Kinda like the Theory/TINAS battle over in M-I. I'm not saying it IS, but it could be. Bozzball on the other hand, has stayed more or less completely away (to the point of semi-defending) from Morgrim. Unless they are BOTH Mafia, this is a VERY sly move on his part if he IS, and Morgrim is not.

So Morgrim > Bozzball for me right now.

Given that I don't believe the Mafia would want the vote split unless one of them was under fire (and I believe one is), I have to look closely at the statements of those staying away from Morgrim.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »

Vote Count 1-3

Morgrim7 (3) - Voltgloss, jotheonah, Galzria
bozzball (2) - Morgrim7, Kuildeous
Robz888 (1) - bozzball

Not Voting (3) - Robz888, Insomniac, Tables

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch

Deadline: Monday, May 28, 2012 6pm PDT
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2012, 04:08:30 pm »

I wonder though. What would the Mafia gain by dividing us?

If I understand correctly, if there is not a plurality at deadline, then there is no lynching.

If so, then a tie vote is just as bad for the town as not lynching (it still never ceases to slay me just how wrong that sounds). Forcing a tie vote is far less suspicious than casting "No Lynching" on the first day and can easily be done by splitting their votes.

I may be reading too much into that, but I recall the discussion on why it's bad for the town to not lynch on the first day. If we cannot come to a consensus by the deadline, we may be without a lynching. The Mafia certainly wouldn't mind seeing that outcome, though trying to keep things tied up would be extremely risky, especially with 7 possibly swingy votes.
A man has no signature

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2012, 04:18:40 pm »

Further, I find Morgrim's vote on Bozzball much more intriguing. It looks like a "point the finger at the next most likely suspect and hope it stands" move. Kinda like the Theory/TINAS battle over in M-I. I'm not saying it IS, but it could be. Bozzball on the other hand, has stayed more or less completely away (to the point of semi-defending) from Morgrim. Unless they are BOTH Mafia, this is a VERY sly move on his part if he IS, and Morgrim is not.

Given that I don't believe the Mafia would want the vote split unless one of them was under fire (and I believe one is), I have to look closely at the statements of those staying away from Morgrim.
I woul like to point out that I voted for bozzball before Kuildeous, thus I was the first person to vote for him. Ergo, I voted for him not knowing that another person would vote for.him.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »

I woul like to point out that I voted for bozzball before Kuildeous, thus I was the first person to vote for him. Ergo, I voted for him not knowing that another person would vote for.him.

Recognized.

Mafia Record:

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »

I wonder though. What would the Mafia gain by dividing us?

If I understand correctly, if there is not a plurality at deadline, then there is no lynching.

If so, then a tie vote is just as bad for the town as not lynching (it still never ceases to slay me just how wrong that sounds). Forcing a tie vote is far less suspicious than casting "No Lynching" on the first day and can easily be done by splitting their votes.

I may be reading too much into that, but I recall the discussion on why it's bad for the town to not lynch on the first day. If we cannot come to a consensus by the deadline, we may be without a lynching. The Mafia certainly wouldn't mind seeing that outcome, though trying to keep things tied up would be extremely risky, especially with 7 possibly swingy votes.

As soon as there is a simple majority (by more than half the players alive) for a player there will be a lynching.  As soon as there is a simple majority for "No Lynch" there will not be a lynching and we will end the day.  If there is no simple majority, ie just a plurality, when we reach the deadline there will be no lynching.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »

This is essentially why it's a near certainty that Bozzball and Morgrim are not both mafia.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »

The italicized part is true.  But the bolded part is false. 

Morgrim voted for bozzball before Kuildeous, but after Galzria.  (Galzria's vote was in post #138.  Morgrim's was in post #143.  This was well before Galzria switched his vote to Morgrim, in post #170.) 

Ergo, Morgrim voted for bozzball knowing full well that another person would vote for bozzball - because another person (Galzria) had already done so

The Mafia, by definition, must lie to keep themselves safe.  Seems to me that's exactly what Morgrim is trying.  Except... he just slipped up. 

I still want to hear from Tables.  But if someone votes Morgrim to 4 now, I'm not going to unvote to stop the hammer.  This, to me, is the clincher.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2012, 06:08:38 pm »

Going dark for a few hours. Have a game to coach. Don't let anything exciting happen while I'm away!

-- Also, anyone wondering if Insomniac got hammered after the wedding, and is having a "Hangover" movie type day?  ;) ;D

Mafia Record:

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2012, 06:19:36 pm »

The italicized part is true.  But the bolded part is false. 

Morgrim voted for bozzball before Kuildeous, but after Galzria.  (Galzria's vote was in post #138.  Morgrim's was in post #143.  This was well before Galzria switched his vote to Morgrim, in post #170.) 

Ergo, Morgrim voted for bozzball knowing full well that another person would vote for bozzball - because another person (Galzria) had already done so

The Mafia, by definition, must lie to keep themselves safe.  Seems to me that's exactly what Morgrim is trying.  Except... he just slipped up. 

I still want to hear from Tables.  But if someone votes Morgrim to 4 now, I'm not going to unvote to stop the hammer.  This, to me, is the clincher.
So I am ruined then? Oh well. What will happen when you find out that I am mafia?
And more importanaly, who will.the mafia kill now that I am dead?

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2012, 07:07:16 pm »

Good to see people waiting, not being hasty. I'm a little concerned Morgrim has somewhat given up the fight, although I'd point out to everyone else we have over a week left: We might not need ALL of it, but look at the discussion we've already said: You can hardly say we aren't getting any use out of our time, right?

That being said, I haven't yet made progress with my analysis. Been playing Arkham Horror with all the expansions mixed in (hint: Don't do this. It's fun, but takes forever), and now it's nearing bedtime. But we still have time, so... I'll try to be quick, but not rush. However I suggest everyone reviews what's already happened, and see if they see anything of particular interest, if you haven't already. Depending on how much time you can invest, anything from a skim to a full note taking analysis can be useful.

I realise delaying my analysis and essentially doing nothing is somewhat suspicious, but, well, real world I'm afraid :-/.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2012, 07:15:32 pm »

Well, for the record, no I was not lying. That was a real blunder. I shold have looked more carefully at the previous posts. (not that you will believe me, you will see this as a weak attempt to get some quick unvotes. This I am ok with).

@Tables, no, I have not given up the fght, but what more is there to say? Everything they suspect me for I habe tried to rebut an apparently have made no progress.
Anyway, I am going on a run, and then going to bed, so do not get on me for not posting.

Mad, I tell you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2012, 07:30:28 pm »

Good to see people waiting, not being hasty. I'm a little concerned Morgrim has somewhat given up the fight, although I'd point out to everyone else we have over a week left: We might not need ALL of it, but look at the discussion we've already said: You can hardly say we aren't getting any use out of our time, right?

That being said, I haven't yet made progress with my analysis. Been playing Arkham Horror with all the expansions mixed in (hint: Don't do this. It's fun, but takes forever), and now it's nearing bedtime. But we still have time, so... I'll try to be quick, but not rush. However I suggest everyone reviews what's already happened, and see if they see anything of particular interest, if you haven't already. Depending on how much time you can invest, anything from a skim to a full note taking analysis can be useful.

I realise delaying my analysis and essentially doing nothing is somewhat suspicious, but, well, real world I'm afraid :-/.

Tables lack of commitment to Morgrim doesn't really surprise me. As I noted in Reply #154, he is probably the most likely candidate to be Morgrim's fellow mafia. He subtly defended Morgrim earlier. And in fact if Tables were mafia, this is what I would expect of him now: Talk about Morgrim being suspicious, but not actually commit to killing his fellow mafia.

To be clear, I'm not denouncing Tables, but I see him being a fellow mafia with Morgrim as one of the more plausible scenarios. I mean, based on where the votes are, it would have to be Tables, Kuildeous, or Insomniac, right? It will be interesting to see if any of them do vote for Morgrim. That might tell us something.

Will it bother anyone if I put a fourth vote on Morgrim? I have intended to do it for awhile but held off due to some requests. We do have plenty of time, and I am open to learning more, but... I don't really see things moving a different way at this point.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2012, 07:36:36 pm »

Will it bother anyone if I put a fourth vote on Morgrim? I have intended to do it for awhile but held off due to some requests. We do have plenty of time, and I am open to learning more, but... I don't really see things moving a different way at this point.

Speaking as someone who originally made such a request, I now have no problem with you placing the fourth vote.  Per my last post, things are pretty much clinched for me. 

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2012, 07:38:44 pm »

Okay, VOTE: MORGRIM 7

I am comfortable lynching him. If others are not, that's understandable. They may retract their votes if they like. We have plenty of time. But he's done more than enough to merit votes so far, in my view. So here we go.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2012, 07:47:32 pm »

I'm not comfortable with a 4th vote being on Morgrim. Not because I don't want him lynched (I'll get to that later), but because I think we should definitely use at least a few more days for discussion first. At least until everyone is sure they're happy with this choice.

I defended him earlier, but not much. Somehow, defending someone is more suspicious than attacking someone - even if you think the person being attacked is not scum. Having made some more notes (up to page 6), I have to say things don't look great for him. My notes on him currently are pretty much a list of 'this is strange', 'That's interesting' and very few things that can really be said in his defence. The one thing he has going for him is, I can give him newbie benefit of the doubt.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2012, 08:31:34 pm »

Well, now I know that my method of play has not worked. hmm...

Vote: Morgrim7. And that is vote #5. Voltgloss, jotheonah, galzria, Robz888, and myself. My final.wish: Lynch Tables.. He is mafia. Goodbye, citizens. I move on to a better life...

Mad, I tell you.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2012, 08:44:15 pm »

I have other suspicions about who is mafia if you really do turn out to be town. But I think I'll sleep better if I wait until the next daylight to voice them.

Morgrim, I do not see how it benefited you to lynch yourself when you still had a chance of salvation. I can't think of any way that's not poor play. Axxle, idk if I still have the option now that the 5th vote has been cast, but Unvote
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2012, 08:48:38 pm »

I have other suspicions about who is mafia if you really do turn out to be town. But I think I'll sleep better if I wait until the next daylight to voice them.

Morgrim, I do not see how it benefited you to lynch yourself when you still had a chance of salvation. I can't think of any way that's not poor play. Axxle, idk if I still have the option now that the 5th vote has been cast, but Unvote

Fairly sure under the rules that Morgrim's selfhammer triggers the lynch, with no more chance for unvoting.  Axxle's call, of course.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:04 pm »

Here's how it benefited him--it caused you to take back your vote. If that's legal. I don't know.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2012, 08:53:03 pm »

RIght, that occurred to me. But assuming it's not legal, which is my instinct, than that was a dumb play. Because he wasn't hanged yet, and it's possible Tables' comments and subsequent discussion could have exonerated him. No matter what team you're on your own survival is in your own self interest.

He/him

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2012, 08:53:38 pm »

Am I still allowed to post? I am not dead…yet.
I had no chance of survival. Everyone suspected me. Tables was not enough.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:57:24 pm by Morgrim7 »

Mad, I tell you.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.