Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Safely" breaking PPR?  (Read 2720 times)

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
"Safely" breaking PPR?
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:07:49 am »

Just had this game with WanderingWinder; Sea Hag game with Steward, Throne Room and cheap Cantrips.
He went for more money early and got an early Gold turn 5, followed by three more Golds turn 11, 13, 14, which forced me to something different. I went for a "let's take 5 minute a turn"-Throne Room helped engine with heavy trashing, allowing me to draw my deck. I bought Noble Brigand to rob all his money, which gained me a Gold, but didn't work otherwise.

Question is, while he starts stalling, I can get 8$ safely every turn. With two Provinces left, I need both of them to win, being three points behind, where he just reshuffled the turn before.
What is better now; taking the chance and try to grab both Provinces (which would have worked out, since he had 7$ and 6$ next turns), or go Duchy- and finally Estate-dancing; which worked out for me here, but also means ~10 more turns, and more turns mean I give luck more chances to screw me, too.

PS: Honestly I just want to brag about my win here. 8) (Of course not.)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: "Safely" breaking PPR?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:14:47 am »

I actually think you were pretty likely to win either way at that point.
But what I balk at is that you can get $8 safely every turn - you just... can't. And don't. Your wells are less reliable, you start having chances to not get your TRs to connect as much. Indeed, a little bit better luck for me - I get a little different distribution of money, I don't have my sea hags collide twice, I'm able to trash a little more - and I win. Indeed, I get $9 again - plus a steward - a turn too late. Having said that, it's hard to say which is right definitively.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 10:03:50 am »

Ah, the good old PPR, I remember when I was scared by it and basically switched to Duchies every game when there were 2 Provinces left.
Now I use more of an opt-in approach. I only observe the PPR when I have good reason to do so. Good reason meaning: My opponent is pretty bloody likely to be able to buy the Province (Merchant Ships in play, Tactician, solid deck, etc..).

If I have any doubt that my opponent is able to buy the last Province, I will often just grab it and hope for the best. If neither of you won't be able to buy the last Province for the rest of the game (and this happens from time to time), you'll be glad you took it.

Don't pass up the PP unless you're sure it's a losing proposition.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:36:10 am »

Ah, the good old PPR, I remember when I was scared by it and basically switched to Duchies every game when there were 2 Provinces left.
Now I use more of an opt-in approach. I only observe the PPR when I have good reason to do so. Good reason meaning: My opponent is pretty bloody likely to be able to buy the Province (Merchant Ships in play, Tactician, solid deck, etc..).

If I have any doubt that my opponent is able to buy the last Province, I will often just grab it and hope for the best. If neither of you won't be able to buy the last Province for the rest of the game (and this happens from time to time), you'll be glad you took it.

Don't pass up the PP unless you're sure it's a losing proposition.
...or your deck is so mind-crushingly strong that it's basically inconceivable that you can't get that province again later, and not taking the PP is thus a guaranteed win. Which is actually a decently plausible thing in very strong engines (though not, I think, here)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:00:02 am »

The score is also important. If you're down by more than 3 points, likely you should break PPR. If not, then use discretion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:30:25 pm »
+2

The score is also important. If you're down by more than 3 points, likely you should break PPR. If not, then use discretion.

I believe PPR itself states "if you could buy a lesser victory card to take the lead...", so it's not breaking PPR to buy the PP when you're more than 3 points behind.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »

With two Provinces left, I need both of them to win

When this is true, you should buy a Province. If you do and he ends the game with a win by buying a Province, he would have sealed his victory anyway by buying that Province (since you needed both of them to win). So PPR really doesn't apply in this situation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.