Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [COMPLETED] Geronimoo's challenges - The Ultimate Gardener  (Read 3512 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator

One of the strongest and simplest strategies in the Base Dominion set is Workshop-Gardens. If uncontested, this deck will end the game in 18 turns and end up with 43 points on average (Workshops, Estates and Gardens emptied).

Challenge - Are you The Ultimate Gardener? You have to finish the game in 18 turns or less and score more than 43 points. You are only allowed to use cards from the base set and you are only allowed to buy Gardens and Estates as VP-cards (no Provinces, no Duchies). You are not allowed to use Workshop.

Winner=highest points, tiebreaker=least #turns

One entry with the isotropic log (as a personal message) only per person, deadline thursday 17/5.

(this challenge runs concurrent with the simulation challenge)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:06:53 am by Geronimoo »

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: Geronimoo's challenges - The Ultimate Gardener
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:51:18 pm »

I have a strategy for this one that ill put together a game log for later. I'm pretty sure it'll be considered 'unusual' to say the least.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:48:21 am »

This challenge is ending in 2 days and is a good one, so I wanted to bump it to the head of the list!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 11:36:31 am »

I need to get my attempts in. I had thought, "Wow, this'll be easy, I'll just use Ironworks!" at first... Then remembered IW is Intrigue.  8) Then I thought, "This'll be next to impossible with no WS or IW!"..... Then I ran some very successful setups on my phone, and realized hire intriguing this is. Easy to beat, yes. But how to score the most points? When to make the dreaded switch. I need to go read up on my Goon's articles.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 05:05:56 am »
+2

Results!!

This proved to be an interesting and fun challenge with quite a few entries using different strategies to achieve gigantic Gardens.

Third place goes to ehunt with 96 points in 18 turns. He opens Woodcutter/Chapel then builds a Festival/Council Room engines. Extra money and buys come from Throne Room/Woodcutter and Cellar adds consistency. Turn 17 is a dead turn which likely costs him 8 points.

Second place goes to Pigfiend scoring a cool 99 points in 18 turns. He opens a very intriguing Moneylender/Chancellor. No Chapel means he will build up faster initially at the cost of consistency and a high risk of dead turns. He starts of getting a few Golds for money (which increase the danger of stalling) then goes for a Village/Council Room engine with extra Markets. Labs and Cellars come in later and the final 2 turns are spent buying the victory points. I wonder how many tries this cost him...

... and the winner is... the winners are chwhite and Willd both scoring 104 points in 18 turns. Willd opens Woodcutter/Chapel, then works towards a Festival/Council Room engine. Extra money comes from Throne Rooms and Woodcutters. Later he gets Villages and Smithies to further enable the mega turns. Surprisingly he doesn't use Cellar and only has a few Markets. He suffers one dead turn (turn 17).  chwhite opens Festival/Chapel and works towards a Festival/Library engine with extra money from Throne Rooms and Woodcutters. Later he gets Markets and Laboratories. Cellar is obviously good in his deck and he surprisingly uses Bureaucrat to pump extra cards into his deck in the fnal mega turn. He suffers no dead turns. Congrats to both of you!!

I have a feeling 13-points Gardens are a possibility though...

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: [COMPLETED] Geronimoo's challenges - The Ultimate Gardener
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 07:26:29 am »

Very impressive! My submission topped out at 8 points per Gardens using the Festival / Council Room / Throne Room strategy. I think my problem was under-investing in Woodcutters and concentrating too much on Festivals, which are a more expensive form of +$2 / +1 Buy. I also didn't risk a turn 16 or 17 Copper binge, which looks like it can pay off if you can still hit a good turn 18. Good job!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 06:29:51 pm »
+4

Chapel?

I quit dominion.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:05 pm »

This was a great challenge!  I'd like to see a histogram of deck sizes in the entries.  I think topped out at just over 100 and should have realized there was room for further improvement; I'm curious how many others fell into or near that bucket.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.