Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Mafia [split from In defense of Monopoly]  (Read 17383 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia [split from In defense of Monopoly]
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »

Oh, and I should weigh in on the kind of mafia I'm used to. popsofctown has described the kind of mafia I don't enjoy nearly as much - the extremely low information, tells and analysis based kind of games. I'm much more used to, and much more enjoy, what's often called 'role madness' where you regularly have every player (both town and mafia) having some special role, some complex interactions between them and the game is often as much, or even more, about each team uses those special roles effectively instead of scumhunting and reading tells. It's a LOT less strategic, and proper mafia players would probably have a fit if they saw it, but it's also a TON of fun. Like dominion, there's a lot of luck, but skilled players DO still win more often.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2012, 05:31:19 pm »

Not necessarily true. I usually begin face-to-face mafia by turning to my neighbor, staring at them intensely, and shouting: "Are you the mafia? Are you? ARE YOU???"
Scum tell.

VOTE: ROBZ888

What an honor!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 10:34:51 pm »

The two different styles are both legitimate.  I just don't enjoy role fiestas.  I don't always play role fiestas, but when I do, I prefer to play on IRC or a messenger, I think that medium is best for that style of play.  You want to get in as many games as possible to get consistent MVPs and weaker players. 

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2012, 12:22:22 pm »

Hey all,

In case anyone is looking for another option for playing, I'd like to recommend the BoardGameGeek Werewolf forums (Werewolf is just a rethemed version of Mafia.) I've been playing on those boards for the past 5 years and the style of games there is definitely unique and stands out from other Mafia forums I've seen.

* The games tend to be one cycle per day (except for extremely complex games) so there's a lot of action all the time, and things will generally be more fresh on your memory than the longer cycles I usually see elsewhere, although it does mean you have to commit to posting a few times per weekday (games generally go on hiatus over weekends).
* The style of the general rolesets tends to differ; BGG Werewolf games both because of the mechanics and because of the players tend to place higher emphasis on strategy and analysis than most other sites, although tone reads are very important too.
* Most importantly, we have an external system that monitors the forum that we connect and archive all our games with, which allows some extremely complex games, and also helps a lot with even simple games. All game information, from the posts and votes that people make, to private chats, special virtual items and locations and role information, is stored in a database, and some of that is publicly accessible to players in a game in order to help them track what is going on. Every "standard" game automatically is set up to give each player a private chatroom with the moderator, the wolves (mafia) a private chatroom with each other, and track and post regular updates to the game thread the status of who is voting for whom at all times.

It looks like two basic/newbie friendly games just started, but if any of you are interested I could easily start another up for people here.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »

I notice some people are having trouble with the terminology sometimes used. 

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Glossary

These are many of the phrases used on mafiascum.  I'm not sure how many of the terms we'll adopt here on F.DS though.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.