Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pearl Diver  (Read 10260 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Re: Pearl Diver
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »

Didn't notice how the discussion evolved... interesting.

Let me reply the physics question above.

One big difference people easily overlook is that strictly speaking it is the amplitude, not the probability that is the fundamental object in quantum mechanics. The classic experimental setup to verify this is the double slit experiment. if you have a single slit to let electrons pass through, you observe a bell-shape histogram on the screen, which is the probabilistic distribution of the electrons. If you have two relatively close slit, you will observe something very different. There is still a bell-shape envelope, but there are lots of dark spots in the envelope. This is interference.

So the hidden variable theory is basically arguing that quantum mechanics is equivalent to some classical theory with some unknown variables. Basically it is saying that quantum mechanics is just classical mechanics with probabilities.

But it is not. Experimentally one can do the double-slit experiment and see the effect of quantum interference, which can only be described, if the wave function has not only an absolute value (probability), but also a phase.

There is also a neat construction showing that quantum interference in successive quantum measurements can have larger correlations than any classical probabilistic interpretation. That is called Bell's inequality, and if one is interested in it, it is easier to find it on Wikipedia. (Something that I cannot just recall from my mind.)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 04:29:15 am »

I often find myself buying PD as a consolation prize, I think most people do.

I also buy it when I have overlay in my $$ and multiple buys, like $9 for KC-PD or Forge-PD.

PD is the worst of all the $2's, but it can be handy as an empty-able pile or when it's the bane card, for example.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

MasterAir

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 04:04:31 am »

It's pretty uninspiring usually, however, I've seen it used effectively to use native village as a poor man's island. As mentioned previously, it's excellent for goons/conspirators and can be handy for forge too.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 04:14:11 am »

I guess it helps lower Peddler's Cost as well.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 20 queries.