Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Impressions on this idea?  (Read 2335 times)

SixDaysShort

• Swindler
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Impressions on this idea?
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:37:42 pm »

So, I played "ascension: chronicle of the god slayer (is that right?)" on my iPhone a couple times last night. It got me thinking about it's card bank feature and how it would affect dominion.

The idea is that you'd create a card bank deck...almost like a black market deck...from which you'd lay out a 4-6 card hand from which the active player could buy cards.  After a card is bought from or trashed from that hand, it'd replaced from the top of the card bank. In addition, victory and treasure cards would always be available for purchase.

I'm uncertain how to fill the deck.  I'm thinking either all 10 of 10 different action cards or 5 of 20 different cards.  In addition, I feel that I'd have to add some type of trashing ability for the hand of playable cards.  I'm thinking that for 3/4 gold, you could trash a card from the board.

minced

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Impressions on this idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:11:02 pm »

In other words, Black Market with a predictable choice of cards. That would be really interesting, but in my mind OP - if there is a good card like Mountebank everyone is going to open black market and the game is almost entirely decided by the luck of the draw. However, if the cards in this "black market" deck were the same ones available in the supply, but at a discount, I might actually want to buy the "black market," especially if fairgrounds is in play.

SixDaysShort

• Swindler
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:15:47 pm »

To clarify, that card bank is the ONLY way to buy action cards.  It replaces the stacks we normally buy from.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:26:26 pm by SixDaysShort »

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »

I've played ascension, it's really random the way the main deck works.  To compare how it would work in dominion, not just action cards would get shuffled in the deck, but victory as well - basically everything buy silver and estates, so you could only buy a province if it happened to come up for you.  It works a little better when the cards have similar values, but even in ascension they don't, although all the cards in the deck are worth at least some VPs and there are no buy restrictions to attempt to balance it somewhat. 

Auroch

• Steward
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 12:32:06 pm »

Apparently, proper Ascension strategy is nothing like Dominion. It is often correct to buy nothing and wait for good cards to show up in the middle row.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 20 queries.